Chapter 4: Underneath the Setting Sun

twinkle.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"The sunset will fall and I'll embrace you in gold, like the tears of the sun."

•••
 

A week later...

 

Goeun searches through drawers in her bedroom, trying to find something in desperation. She is wearing a beautiful, glittery pink gown similar to that night about a week ago where she had confessed her feelings to Dosie.

The Guleum princess had made plans with Dosie a few days earlier to meet up during the evening hours today and have a picnic date in the flowery valley. She is trying to find a quilt for them to sit on so neither of them has to sit in the grass. 

Goeun had promised Dosie she would be the one to bring a blanket and food for their picnic. Dosie has a much longer walk to the valley than Goeun does, so she told Dosie that she did not have to worry about carrying anything there.

Finally, after a few minutes, Goeun finally finds a large quilt. In fact, it is one Goeun's grandmother had made with her own hands. It was a special quilt, perfect for a wonderful date. She holds the quilt underneath her arm as she exits her bedroom, heading off to the palace kitchen, where she knew there would be cooks making food. Just as she expected, when Goeun stepped into the palace kitchen, she is hit by the amazing smells of freshly cooked food. The cooks around her did not question her as she filled a basket with a variety of different warm, good-smelling foods. She then departed from the kitchen and headed off, sneaking out of the palace with her food basket and blanket. She did not want to have her parents questioning her as to why she was bringing her grandmother's quilt and a basket of food out of the palace, so she knew sneaking out was her only choice.

Goeun sneaks out of her bedroom window and climbs down the jagged stone wall, keeping her shoes gripped onto the stones so that she doesn't slip. If she does fall, she knew she would be guaranteed to at least break a bone. She lets out a sigh of relief once her shoes touch the soft, grassy ground below her. Still carrying the quilt and the basket, Goeun begins to head off through the vegetation. Not wanting to risk being recognized, Goeun sneaks through the kingdom's alleyways, hoping that no one would recognize her. Soon, she successfully made it out of the kingdom's streets and out into the surrounding valley.

The tall grass brushes against Goeun's legs as she walks along the valley. The sun shined down at an angle, seemingly about to set within the next hour or two. A small breeze blows through the tall grass, causing them to wave as if they were greeting the princess. Goeun switches the basket from one arm to the other, as the first one was starting to get sore. Eventually, Goeun exhaustingly arrives at the area where she and Dosie have been meeting every other night, realizing she is first to arrive. She puts the basket down with relief and lays the quilt out. She straightens it against the flattened grass, making sure it is nice and neat. Then, she picks the basket back up and places it in the middle of the quilt so the both of them can easily access it. 

Goeun sits down on the quilt neatly, glad to finally rest her legs. Now, she just has to wait for Dosie. She knows that Dosie will be tired when she arrives, just as she has been every other time they've met here, but she hopes the food would be worth it. Goeun feels bad that Dosie has such a long walk from Ilmol to the valley, but there is not many other places for them to meet peacefully. Ilmol is surrounded by a lush, dangerous forest, and they would not want to risk meeting there. She remembers her encounter with the frightening creature before and it sends a shiver down her spine.

Finally, after a bit of a wait, Dosie arrived right before the sun started to set. Goeun perks up at the sight of her, a smile growing on her face.

"Hey!" Goeun calls out with a wave as Dosie continues to walk closer. She could tell the other princess felt tired.

"Hey," Dosie responds tiredly once she gets closer. Once she is close enough, Dosie immediately plops down on the quilt. She takes a moment to admire the picnic setup. "This is a really nice quilt. How did you get it?" She asks as she runs her hand across the thick, patterned quilt.

"My grandmother made it a long time ago," Goeun answers with a small smile. "It's really special. Only a special quilt for a special occasion," she smiles wider, reaching into the basket and getting some food out. Once Goeun begins to take the food out, Dosie is hit by the mouth-watering smells.

"Ooh, the food smells really good!" Dosie responds. "Reminds me of the fo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter