Chapter 6

The Bunker Boyz

Sunwoo had somehow been able to survive in the cabin for a day, but he really had to find Haknyeon. Collecting his things, Sunwoo made ready to go outside. A problem he had faced yesterday was that he had attempted to discover the place where he had been separated from his hyung. However, since it was dark when the zombies chased the two, he had the same issue as Haknyeon. All the trees looked alike and there were no tracks in the grass that Sunwoo could see.

 

Wondering if Haknyeon had gone out of the forest toward the north instead, Sunwoo figured it couldn’t hurt to check there as well. He travelled for about four miles to see a small river. Examining the place for a good place to cross, Sunwoo was caught off guard by Chanhee who came running out of nowhere.

 

As they had just gone out for supplies, Hyunjae, Kevin, and Juyeon were nearby to witness the commotion of Sunwoo screaming while sprinting away from Chanhee. Kevin and Juyeon were quick to ready their weapons, but Hyunjae stopped them, “That kid will get injured if you use those.” Kevin sighed in annoyance, “Ah, I really wanted to shoot a zombie today!” Juyeon nodded in agreement for once with Kevin.

 

“Just try using a tranquilizer dart,” Hyunjae negotiated. Kevin saluted and switched his weapon out for a tranquilizer which he had conveniently stowed in his backpack. His teammates were impressed.

 

Aiming with precision, Kevin was ready to shoot his target. He took the chance when Sunwoo tripped and Chanhee was about to pounce. The dart whizzed through the air and connected with the zombie.

 

Sunwoo didn’t know what happened when a limp zombie fell on top of him. Horrified, Sunwoo was swift to shove Chanhee off of him and jump away.

 

Without a second to spare, the trio on the other side of the river made their way across and approached a confused but thankful Sunwoo. “Wh- Who are you guys?” Sunwoo asked in shock. Kevin bowed dramatically, “The Bunker Boyz at your service.” Juyeon rolled his eyes and Hyunjae chuckled at Kevin’s antics.

 

Hyunjae explained, “We came up with that name randomly, but we really do have a bunker. We also fight zombies pretty well.” Sunwoo nodded even though he was still trying to pull himself together.

 

“Well, we need someone to take that zombie back to the base,” Hyunjae pointed out while looking at Kevin. Crestfallen, Kevin whined, “Aw! I wanted to shoot some zombies today!” With a mischievous smirk, Kevin turned to Sunwoo, “If you help me take this thing back to the base, you could see if you want to stay there with us.”

 

“Why are you taking a zombie back alive?!” Sunwoo was very concerned. “We’re going to try to help him. Don’t worry. We have a holding cell for zombies,” Hyunjae clarified.

 

Put into a state of shock again, Sunwoo shakily walked over to the zombie and helped Kevin pick him up. “Juyeon and I will keep looking for supplies,” Hyunjae said and left the two with a zombie.

 

Kevin huffed in annoyance, “I really wanted to go out today.” “Have you been inside for a while?” Sunwoo wondered aloud. “Yeah, for almost a whole month!” Kevin complained, “We really needed some fresh air. It gets boring in the bunker.” Sunwoo couldn’t really relate as he and Haknyeon had been outside for most of the time since the zombie attacks.

 

After they had gotten inside the bunker, Kevin could hear something fuzzy like a voice coming through static on a radio. He looked around the weapons room as he and Sunwoo both put the zombie into a containment cell. The static sound remained until Kevin had left the room. “Weird…” he shrugged it off as him having spent too much time inside. With no more thoughts about the oddity, he showed Sunwoo to a place where he could stay.

 

MAP