Morning Coffee and Midnight Tequilas

Love Radio

Yoo Si Ah, Wheein's assistant, came inside the studio. "Ms. Jung, you have a guest…with your coffee. Should I let her in?" the skinny girl asked with a tight lip smile.

"Yeah. Sure." Wheein said as casually as possible, she didn't want to sound too excited.

But Hyejin shot her a knowing look before she excused herself for the comfort room.

A man with a tray of coffee entered the studio after Hyejin stepped out. The smile was plastered on his face. Although he looked decent, he didn't look anything like Wheein expected to. Especially since Wheein expected a woman. Has she been catfished? She mentally cursed Hwasa thinking that her best friend was pulling a prank on her.

"Ms. Jung, here's your coffee." The man smiled as he gave the coffee to the DJ. "Boss said she hopes you like it."

Wheein let out a sigh of relief knowing that it was just a misunderstanding. It's not that she hates men. She just doesn't swing that way. At least not anymore. And it didn't help that when she tried dating a man - she was cheated on. 

Wheein said thank you and the man stepped outside. She said 'boss' so it meant it wasn't actually Byul. She guessed she just have to wait a bit longer.

But Wheein hates waiting.


The coffees continued to arrive every morning. The coffee was delivered by different people each morning. Wheein wondered if Moonbyul was already one of them and she just didn't know it. But somehow she doubts that because she thinks that if she ever sees Moonbyul personally, she'd feel it. She'll know it's her.

Until one day, she decided to ask, "The person that requested you to bring this coffee. Where is she?"

"She's at the lobby." The red-haired girl smiled.

Wheein didn't waste any time and proceeded to the lobby immediately. When she got there, there weren't too many people, but there was a particular woman that caught her attention; the silver-haired girl was just about to go for the exit but Wheein called her out, "Moonbyul?!" It was a question. A wild guess. But her heart was telling her that she might just be right; it was beating loudly against her chest, hoping that the woman would look back.

Seconds felt like years as she anticipated for the woman to look back at her.

The silver-haired woman turned her head to where the voice came from.

For Wheein, the world seemed to move in slow motion. It was cliché, she knows, but it really felt like it. It was that feeling that she was talking about, that feeling that she would know if it was actually her.

She walked towards the girl. It is her, Wheein thought to herself. "Moonbyul." It was now a statement. A confirmation. And her heart was still beating loudly against her chest.

She smiled.

Moonbyul smiled back.

She was shy. A foreign feeling for her. She always appeared so confident and intimidating but not this time. She was stunned to say anything else. It is 'DJ Gabriella' the DJ that she listens to on the radio every day, and now she's in front of her. 

"Hi."

"Hi."

Moonbyul extends her hand for a handshake. "I'm Moon Byulyi."

And Wheein takes it. "Jung Wheein."

I have to thank Hyejin later. Wheein mentally takes note.


Since then, Moonbyul personally delivers Wheein's coffee every morning, sometimes with flowers, sometimes with gifts.

Personally, Wheein wasn't used to receiving gifts. So it was a strange feeling for her to receive such, and the number of times that Byul sent her gifts and flowers is insane; she feels like she's a blockbuster movie actress of some sort.

Wheein finds it hard not to be impressed with Moonbyul because she found out that she and Hyejin weren't the only ones receiving coffee each morning; Moonbyul makes sure that YooA also gets one as well as the other staff.

Wheein felt special nonetheless.

She didn't forget to thank Hyejin, by the way, for being a bridge for their meeting. She is one of the reasons why, nowadays, she feels genuinely happy. She is happy with where her relationship with Moonbyul is going. They weren't together, sure, but she's happy and for now, that was enough.

It was Hyejin that first asked Moonbyul jokingly, "Are you courting my best friend?" which was answered with a firm 'no' from Wheein, even though she thinks quite the opposite.

Hyejin opens , looking a bit offended. "Well, I'm not asking you." Hyejin notes. She was only giving Byul a chance to officially tell Wheein her intentions, but her best friend quickly shot it down.

Wheein thinks that Moonbyul's intentions were questionable. She brings her gifts and flowers, and she would assume that Byul's courting her but they talk all day long, and not once did Byul ask her anything that would indicate that she was interested in her in that way. Maybe she's really just a generous fan? Or maybe she just wants a friend? Wheein doesn't know anymore. With each day passing, her doubt grows bigger and bigger.

And it didn't help that Byul laughed off Hyejin's question without the intention of answering it. And now Wheein regrets answering too soon and not giving Byul a chance to give her answer.

But if Wheein's being honest, she just got scared that Byul would say something stupid like she was just being friendly, and she doesn't know how she would react if that ever happens. She might lose her . She isn't ready to hear Byul's answer yet.

It was one of those moments that Wheein asks herself, 'What are we?'

But she would always shrug it off and try not to make things complicated. Don't fix what's not broken. She reminds herself.


Wheein and Moonbyul have known each other for months now.

It was a usual thing for the two to go on dates.

But more often than not they drink their hearts out. Sometimes with friends, sometimes with each other's co-workers. And sometimes Moonbyul would show up unannounced at Wheein's apartment which she shared with her mother and grandma, and her stubborn cat, Ggomo, whom Byul has already grown to love. 

But tonight they were with Hyejin and Yongsun. The four of them have been hanging out a lot and in a short span of time have formed a strong friendship. They just click together. 

And so even though Yongsun hates drinking, especially out, she was obligated to come to the bar Hyejin picked to celebrate Moonbyul's promotion. Because she would not want to miss Byul's celebration - and Hyejin would not stop pestering her with texts and call messages until she agrees.

So there they were, sharing stories in between tequila shots at their booth when Yongsun saw Irene, along with Seokjin and Seulgi, approaching them.

Yongsun wanted to give Byul a heads-up, but before she could even say a word, Seokjin calls out to them. "Byul! Ms. Kim!" he waves excitedly as his group makes a beeline toward them.

Yongsun shot Byul a worried look, knowing that Irene's presence might make Byul uncomfortable, but the younger woman gave her an assuring smile.

"Byul-ah." Seokjin calls out. "I heard you were promoted. Is this your celebratory party? Why didn't you invite me?"

"Well, I wasn't planning on having a party. We were just hanging out really." Moonbyul answered. She didn't want to be rude so she asked them if they wanted to join. She didn't expect them to actually accept her offer, much less Irene. A crisp 'Sure.' was heard from Byul's ex-girlfriend. 

"Great." Byul remarked as she awkwardly laughed it off, she meant the opposite. "But only if my friends won't mind." she notes, looking at both Wheein and Hyejin for confirmation, considering they might not be comfortable with other people around.

When both of them politely agreed, Byul's three co-workers joined them in their booth along with a few introductions.

It was surprisingly going well...until Irene decided to feed her curiosity. She couldn't help but notice that Moonbyul and Wheein have been attached to the hips all night and they seem to be getting along well. They seem close. Too close, if you ask her.

"So, are you guys together?" she asks directly. 

Wheein blushed at Irene's question but remained silent, oblivious to the fact that there was a hint of jealousy in the woman's voice. Moonbyul conveniently forgot to tell Wheein that Irene was her ex-girlfriend whom Byul mentioned before as Joohyun.

"What makes you ask that?" Byul asks back, pretending to be oblivious to Irene's observation.

"Are you not?" Irene questions further.

"We're very good friends." Moonbyul answers. She knows how scandalous Irene can get. She didn't want this day to end badly, so she answers with a safe answer.

"Well, you look good together." Irene shrugs. Trying to make it look like it's not a big deal. She was just curious, that's all.

Moonbyul laughs it off. Again. Wheein mentally notes.

"Yeah, you really look good together." Seokjin comments, while Seulgi was staying quiet in her seat, foreseeing the inevitable mess that's about to happen.

Wheein smiled, "Really?" She answered in a shy tone.

"Why is it that you're not together?" Irene questioned. "She seems really happy that she's with you." she notes.

Wheein just rolled her eyes, acting casual and playing it cool while Moonbyul drinks down two shots of tequila.

Wheein scoffed, noticing that Moonbyul wasn't planning on answering again.

"I don't know with her." Wheein continued to talk, maybe it's the alcohol that gives her the confidence, "Sometimes I even want to ask her if she likes me at all." she looked at Moonbyul beside her who almost choked at her drink hearing what Wheein just said.

"Do you, Byul? Do you like me?" Wheein asked - her heart on her sleeve, hoping that this time Byul would answer her, or at least acknowledge her feelings. She wants to know that she's not imagining everything and that their relationship was actually going somewhere.

The rest of the group was anticipating Byul's answer. All eyes were on her.

Moonbyul didn't like to be put on the spot. She felt like she was about to have a nervous breakdown.

Of course. She wants to say. Of course, Byul likes Wheein. She thought it was the most obvious thing in the world. She thought Wheein knows it. But she's not sure if she's ready for another relationship yet, so she didn't want to say it out loud yet. And definitely not now, because it might look as if Byul's just trying to spite her ex. She wants to do it right. But if she doesn't answer Wheein it might look like she's denying her feelings for her.

"I'm just kidding." Wheein said, noticing that Byul was not ready to answer her. She places a hand on Byul's shoulder to reassure her that they're okay. Guess the alcohol wasn't enough.

The rest of them laughed so as to not ruin the mood, but all of them knew.

That was the cue for Irene, who's been eyeing Moonbyul for quite some time now, to enter the picture, "So you're not together, right?" she pointed back and forth at Moonbyul and Wheein.

Moonbyul was now downing a glass full of wine while Wheein was putting on her best smile - the best she could fake that is - as she shakes her head.

"So it's okay if I sit here, right?" Irene more likely stated as she sat on Moonbyul's lap and placed her hand around Byul's neck.

"Joohyun." Moonbyul said with a warning tone.

Wheein didn't know what pissed her most, the guts of Byul's co-worker, the fact that Moonbyul hasn't done anything to stop the other woman, or the way Byul called her in a different name that seemed like only they shared. She was slowly realizing that Byul and Irene were more than just co-workers.

Wheein wanted to push the woman away from Byul, but what right does she have? She's not even sure where she stands in Byul's life.

"Joohyun, please don't sit on me." Byul asked, trying to be civil. She didn't want to make a scene.

"But I'm more comfortable here than in my own seat." Irene flirtatiously said.

Wait - Joohyun?

Moonbyul's ex-girlfriend?

Realization dawned on Wheein.

"I'm sure you'll find lots of chairs besides Byul's lap." Wheein stated with bitterness. "How about Seulgi's lap instead?" Wheein wanted to blame it on the alcohol for saying it out loud, but she knows it was her jealousy and her intention to one-up Irene which fueled her.

Irene was shocked that Wheein knows about that incident. She didn't think Byul would tell a woman she just met about them. She was hurt, and she wanted to hurt the other woman back.

"Joohyun, let's just stand okay?" Byul requested before standing up and forcing Irene to stand up as well, wanting to diffuse the situation before it gets worse.

But worse it did.

Next thing she knows, Joohyun was already kissing her - in front of the girl she likes nonetheless. Her body tensed with her ex-girlfriend's action and was unable to move for a second.

But a second is all it took for Wheein to grab her bag and walk away.

She is a DJ, not an actress, so she didn't bother to pretend that what was going on in front of her was okay. She stood up and walked straight to her car.

As soon as Byul was able to push Irene away from her, she followed Wheein. Hyejin and Yongsun were just a few steps behind her.

When Wheein noticed that Moonbyul was following her she walked faster so that Moonbyul won't be able to catch her before she got into her car.

"Wheein!" The silver-haired woman calls out.

When Wheein got into her car before Byul could reach her, she taps her car window. She tried to open the car door but it was locked. "Wheein talk to me, please. Let's talk about this." she asked.

Wheein started the engine. "Wheein! Wait."

When Moonbyul realized that Wheein wasn't going to hear her out she searched for her own car key and stepped inside her car beside Wheein's, and followed the girl.

Wheein is angry. "Friend? We're just friends?" she said to herself frustrated as she was driving. "What the is that?! Is there a person who sends coffee each morning every single day?" her tears were now falling freely down her cheeks. They can't be just friends. Moonbyul should know that there was something more. Moonbyul surely didn't act like they were just friends. "I am just a friend to you? Is that it?" Wheein said angrily as if Moonbyul can hear her.

"I looked like a fool in front of your stupid ex-girlfriend." Wheein hated how she was feeling. She felt too low, especially now that she realized Byul rejected her in front of her ex-girlfriend. What does that tell her? That Byul is not interested in her in that way? That couldn't be it. Maybe Byul's just not ready for another relationship? Or was Wheein someone who was just there? Is that all she is to Byul? Someone who was available?

She's been waiting for Byul to tell her how she really feels about her - and Wheein hates waiting- but she did, and patiently so. But she's not so sure anymore if Byul would ever feel responsible for how she feels.

Meanwhile, Moonbyul was finally able to catch up to Wheein's car. She was able to block Wheein's car by then. She stopped her car in the middle of the highway and stepped out. There was honking from other drivers but Moonbyul didn't mind.

When Moonbyul positioned herself beside Wheein's car, she avoided making eye contact. She didn't want Byul to see her cry. She was looking the other way while Moonbyul insists on talking to her. "Wheein! Open the damn door." Moonbyul said in frustration.

Wheein just honked her car.

"Wheein! Why are you being like that? Talk to me." Wheein flinched at Moonbyul's frustrated voice. "Talk to me. Please." Byul said in a suddenly softer tone. Wheein just tapped her car window, motioning Byul to leave her alone.

And although she didn't really want to, Byul went inside her own car and let Wheein have her own space, for now, to give her time to process her feelings.