page three.

why we separated

“You’re the first person I think about when I wake up.”

 

Suryeon, who was typing away on her laptop, looked up with furrowed eyebrows.

 

Not getting a response from Suryeon, Yoonhee let out a small laugh. “You don’t need to look so confused. I’m just saying that because I only realized it this morning. And… I know it really shouldn’t surprise me that much, considering you know, I’m literally in love with you..” Suryeon let out a smile at that, “But it still kinda caught me off guard. And I just wanted to make sure that you know you have the best girlfriend ever.” Yoonhee finished, evidently proud of the confession she made.

 

Suryeon wanted to say that she knows. She knows that she has the best girlfriend ever and that Yoonhee doesn’t need to remind her. She knows that she might be the luckiest woman in the world and she has no idea what she did to deserve her. She knows and she’s more than thankful. But she kept all that to herself and instead asked, “So what exactly do you think about?”

 

Yoonhee shrugged and leaned back, “Well, it’s nothing special..” Then she shook her head, “Wait scratch that. I think about you.. of course it’s special. It’s always special when it involves you.” Suryeon laughed. God, she really is the luckiest woman in the world. “Most of the time, I just think about how I’m gonna see you that day and.. it’s corny but that thought alone is enough to make me smile. You don’t know how much time I spend just smiling like an idiot every morning, it’s kinda crazy actually.”

 

“Kinda crazy??? I think it’s kinda cute.” Suryeon whispers and reaches for Yoonhee’s hand across the table. Yoonhee took this a sign to continue, “And then sometimes, I think about your little things.”

 

Suryeon lets out a chuckle, “My little things? Yoonhee, is that your nickname for my s? I mean it’s cute but they’re certainly not..” She lowers her voice and raised an eyebrow, “little.”

 

Yoonhee made a face and let out a huff, “Suryeon, what the hell?! That’s not what I meant.”

 

Suryeon managed to stop from laughing and asked, “Then what?” Yoonhee pouted, “No. I don’t want to tell you anymore. You ruined the moment.”

 

“Come on, I’m sorry. I was just joking.” She tugged Yoonhee’s hand and added, “I want to hear you talk about… my little things.” She finished with a suggestive tone and a wiggle of her eyebrows.

 

Yoonhee was unamused, “Suryeon.”

 

Suryeon took a deep breath an raised her hands, as if acting like she’s surrendering. “Okay. I’m stopping. I’m all ears, promise.”

 

“What I meant was the little things that make you.. you. The little things that you do that I don’t think you even realize that you’re doing but it makes me fall in love with you a little bit more if that’s even possible.”

 

“Like?”

 

Yoonhee pointed at their hands that were still on top of each other, “Like how you find a way to hold my hand at every chance that you get. I love how it brings me warmth and comfort. Your hand in mine feels like home. You feel like home.” She stops for a moment and looks at Suryeon. “Or like that smile you get on your face when you look at me and you don’t think I notice but I do. I always do.”

 

Suryeon looks at her curiously, “What smile?”

“The smile like.. I’m the only person around. You zone in on me and I feel like your focus is all on me and then you just.. smile. Like nothing else matters. You often do it whenever I’m reading or sometimes just randomly when we’re having a conversation..” Yoonhee pauses and giggles, “You have it on right now.”

 

And yes, Suryeon feels herself smiling but she really can’t help it. Hearing Yoonhee talk about her like this. She feels like she’s the most special person and she thinks, she’s sure, that she won’t let anything take this away- take her away.

 

A comfortable silence enveloped them and Suryeon never stops gently caressing Yoonhee’s hand. “You know, I’m yours, right?” Suryeon says, remembering the conversation they exchanged from a year before.

 

Yoonhee just hummed in response.

 

“I’m yours. All of me. Me and my little things.” Suryeon says with a soft smile on her face.

 

“Yeah??”

 

“Yes. As long as you want me.”

 

Yoonhee seemed to recall the same conversation as well and said, “Then forever?”

 

“Forever.”

 

Yoonhee brings up Suryeon’s hand and places a gentle kiss on top of it and looks at her with a slight glint on her eyes, “I’m pleased because I’d like to keep you and your little things for myself only.”

 

Suryeon once again laughs. She’d be a fool to let Yoonhee walk away from her. Fortunately, she doesn’t plan on letting that happen anytime soon. Not now. Not ever.