page five.

why we separated

It’s funny.

One day you’re sure of everything. About yourself. About your life. About everything.

 

One day everything’s going your way. Everything seems like it’s falling into places. Everything was good.

 

One day you’re happily in love. You’re with someone who makes you whole. You’re convinced that was it. It could only get better from there.

 

But no. Life happens.

 

And most of the time life’s funny. Life does something unexpected. And life quite simply s you up. Badly.

 

 

Suryeon doesn’t know what happened or what changed or when it happened.

 

Yoonhee isn’t sure when things stopped being.. okay.

 

They were fine. They were in love. They were Suryeon and Yoonhee, for God’s sake. All their friends say that they’re meant to be together. That they were each other’s endgame. And they both believed that.

 

But now, as they sit across each other from their bedroom (Yoonhee doesn’t know if she could still it call it their bedroom, Suryeon has stopped sleeping in it for about a month now), they’re both at loss for words, unsure what they could possibly do to save what they have.

 

“What- what happened to us?” Yoonhee asks first. Out of all the questions in her head, that was the only thing she managed to get out.

 

Suryeon gives her a sad smile, “I wish… I really wish I had answer for that, Yoonhee.”

 

But she doesn’t. None of them really could answer that. And that’s the hardest part. Because how could they even fix something if they don’t have any idea what broke it in the first place??

 

They were way passed blaming each other for what happened to them. That’s what they’ve been doing for the past few weeks. With Yoonhee saying that Suryeon doesn’t have any time for their relationship anymore and Suryeon saying that Yoonhee doesn’t support her career enough.

 

Maybe that’s where they went wrong. When they didn’t stop for a second to try to understand and listen to what each other were saying and just went ahead with screaming matches.

 

But they were passed the point of no return. Too many hurtful words have been exchanged. (“If I knew it would come to this, I would’ve never given you a chance years ago!!” “Yeah? If I knew you’d become this unbearable, I would’ve left you to fix yourself alone years ago!!”) And even if they wish they could both take it all back, they can’t.

 

Things have changed for the both of them. But one thing hasn’t, that’s for sure.

 

“I still love you and I don’t think I’ll ever stop.” Yoonhee whispers and hopes Suryeon hears it because she doesn’t trust herself enough to say it louder or else, she’ll fall apart.

 

Luckily, Suryeon answers, “For what it’s worth, I still love you too.”

 

Yoonhee gathers all the courage she has and wills herself to look at Suryeon. Despite everything, she still thinks she’s the most beautiful woman she’s ever laid her eyes on and still manages to make her heart skip a beat. She thinks that won’t change too.

 

“We still love each other. Why.. why can’t we fix this?”

 

Suryeon takes a breath because this pains her. Physically. Mentally. This whole situation just deeply pains her and never once did she imagine she’d feel like this with Yoonhee.

 

“You, of all people, knows that sometimes love isn’t enough, Yoonhee.”

 

Yoonhee couldn’t say anything to that because Suryeon was right. She knows. Love stopped being enough the moment pain overpowered everything. And they’ve let pain get the best of them.  

 

Suryeon gets up to leave of the bedroom and possibly Yoonhee’s life so she knew had to say something. “I didn’t imagine this is how we’d end.”

 

Suryeon’s lips quivered as she tries to compose herself. She just wants the pain to stop. And this whole situation hurts. “Remember when I said that I already had my life planned? My life with you?? Believe me when I say that this is also not the way I planned it.”

 

Before Suryeon could step out the door, she hears Yoonhee ask, “If I asked you stay, would you?”

 

Closing her eyes shut, trying to stop the tears, Suryeon forced herself to say, “Don’t.”

 

“Don’t what?”

 

“Don’t ask me to stay. Don’t make this harder than it already is. Just don’t. Please.”

 

After Suryeon says that no other words were uttered. She walks away, leaving Yoonhee and the hurt she came with. And Yoonhee didn’t protest because no matter what she feels, she can’t go on another day knowing that what they have is hurting Suryeon. She loves her too much to put her through that. She knows this is the right thing to do. They both know it.

 

But the both of them couldn't help but think how different that exchange was back when everything was okay.