Risk it, or you'll regret it

Sugar, Spice, and a Bet is Nice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"One minute," The three waitress all shouted once the clock is starting to roll its way to the time limit. They are now watching the two in the kitchen, waiting for them to plate their dishes. Well, except for Irene. She had already done plating her dish even when there is more time left. But for Wendy, she was panicking inside of her as she rapidly chops the leaves for her finishing touch. She quickly sprinkled the green leaves in top and after that the wall clock on the wall made a ringing sound.


"Time is up!" Seulgi shouted as she excitedly grabs the two plates from the table of the two chefs.


Seungwan sighed as she saw her staffs head to the tables for the taste test.


Seungwan looked down, she was actually tired at today's cook off without knowing why. But she looked up when she felt an arm around her shoulders and a pat on her back.


"Chill, You looked tired for today’s contest. You should smile more, Wan" Irene said and Wendy then looked at her friend.


"And why is that?" Seungwan asked


"Because I think you might have your first win after all," Irene said as she looked at the customer who is looking interestingly at the bread which Wendy made.


Wendy looked at where her friend was looking at and she saw him took off her attention from the bread and placed her attention to Irene's dish, she cut a piece and he is chewing while nodding his head. His expression is plain, obvious that he is serious in critiquing the dish. 

 

The three waitresses, and Seungwan had their jaw dropped upon seeing the expression of the judge. Unlike their other competition where the judge's expression is priceless, and epic, right now it was plain and simple, obvious that he is looking for more kick on that dish. 

 

"It was good. The texture of the meat is very good, obvious that it was cooked tenderly and patiently. That was nice because it looks like you have a time limit and yet you still manage to make the meat tender. It also has a nice quality, the freshness of the meat is obvious as I cut it, juices from the meat falls and it's clearly a good piece," The judge said and cut the meat once again. 

 

He was right, the juice is dripping as the meat was cut. All of them are surprise of the knowledge of the judge and suspected that maybe he took some course in meat products, but they didn't ask him that. 

 

The judge then continued giving his verdict. He then dips his fork upon the red sauce that is splattered on the meat.

 

The plating of the dish is awesome. Given that it is a Halloween themed dish, the meat looks like it was splattered with blood and also there is small tomatoes in the corners of the squared shaped plate that has a face, kind of similar to the jack-o-lantern pumpkin. So, trying the sauce is definitely a nice choice.

 

"Now, I really really really love the sauce. It was great, kind of sweet and sour, probably because it was made of tomatoes right, and you made it like a jam? And you put in something on it" The judge said and looked at the two chefs, wondering who among them made the dish.

 

"uhm, Yes. You are correct," Joohyun said and nodded her head. 

 

"It really is good. But I think this sauce will go more on bread as it resembles a jam. Although you are creative enough to try and pair this with a meat. I'll definitely give this dish an A-" The judge said and nodded his head. 

 

A- must be a good grade, but it was actually Joohyun's first time receiving this grade. She always received an A+ and it was obviously shocking to see the head chef of the restaurant get this rating. But Joohyun is thankful for the judge for being honest. She then smiled and bowed her head which the judge returned. 

 

Amidst the careful observation that is happening, Seungwan was trying to process every information what the judge had said. He said it was made of tomatoes, and resembles a jam. She had an idea what the sauce might be. So, after the judge gave his comments, Seungwan then walked over to where the dishes were, in front of their judge. She then looked at the dish that Joohyun made and back to the judge. 

 

"Do you mind if I try the sauce?" Seungwan asked the judge and received a 'go on' gesture. 

 

So Seungwan then dipped her pinky finger to the sauce on the plate and it. She nodded her head and looked at Joohyun. 

 

Joohyun then gave a giggle and nodded her head as they had an eye contact. 

 

"Yes, Seungwan. That sauce was what we experimented way back then: tomatoes, honey and vanilla extract" Joohyun said and the three waitresses gasped as they heard it. 

 

"Don't be surprised, everyone, it might be my first time using a recipe which was not entirely my own but I promise you that it will be the last," Joohyun said and laughed. "Looks like it was also my unlucky day ehy?" Joohyun jokingly said as she is still smiling. 

 

 

"We are not sure yet, go ahead and taste the other dish please" Joy said and the two waitresses nodded their head in agreement.

 

 

The judge then grabbed the fork and spoon which was served beside Seungwan's dish. 

 

 

All of them, except Seungwan let

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter