EPILOGUE

Winter Story

A/N: Because you guys want an epilogue. Well, here you go. I tried my best to write a satisfying ending for you. I hope you like it. Enjoy!

----------------------------------

"Everyone, there are exactly seven days before Christmas. What are your plans on that day?"

"As for me, unlike most of you, I can't spend that day with my family since they have work. Yes, that's quite unfortunate, but don't worry guys I won't be alone on that day."

"Ohh, some of you are traveling overseas. That's good, traveling is also a good idea during the holidays...Camping! Yes, that's also a good one. But you have to bring a lot of warm clothes or else you'll freeze."

I glanced at the window of the bus as I listen to the radio broadcast on my phone. Today is indeed cold.

"Have you also bought presents for your love ones?" 

I haven't brought anything. 

"I see, there are a lot of you who already bought a gift, and some are still thinking of a gift to buy. Some of you are having a hard time because you're thinking that the person might not appreciate the gift."

"Guys, remember it's not the price, or the brand, or the store where it came from that matters in giving. It doesn't need to be a material thing. It can be friendship, love, acceptance, or even forgiveness. Christmas gifts can be in any form as long as they came from the heart."

 

"Here's a beautiful comment from js5520, 'Life itself is already a gift, DJ Kang' -- That's right. The most important present is the gift of life. We should always be thankful. Not every one of us is blessed to wake up in the morning. Not every one of us is blessed to arrive safely at our destination. In short, not every one of us is blessed every day." 

 

I smiled at the DJ's statement. Memories of my experience came back to me. Given that I was given the second chance to live, I am always thankful for every second that I breathe.

It was already four years ago since I got into an accident. I was driving on the way to Busan to attend a seminar as our branch's representative when I noticed that my car's brake was not functioning. I could not really remember everything that happened that morning, but I was told that my car got off-road and crashed into a big tree. My biggest mistake? I didn't check the seatbelt. It was broken. I did not even check if the car's airbag is still functional. Well, it was not my car, the company lent it to me for the day so I just drove it right away. It's safe to assume that I was spacing out the whole time I was driving. 

Thankfully, no other person was hurt other than me. It was my own mistake after all. I was careless.

 

"Alright, that's it for the comments."

"Everyone, thank you for staying with me tonight. This has been DJ Kang for KSG Saturday talks. See you tomorrow!"

 

Now Playing (SNSD-TTS - Winter Story)

Warmth that transfer to my fingertips

Your gaze that looks only at me

Like a white sweater, it warmly

Embraced me

In the streets, the lights that contain the season

My heart is beating in excitement

Winter that has come quickly is like you

 

You came to me at the end of a tiring day

It’s so warm

Like a child waiting for the first snow

It snows on top of my uplifted heart

 

 

Just a few minutes after the broadcast, I immediately received a call. I shifted from my seat and answered the phone with my earphones on. 

"Hey," she answered on the line.

My lips immediately curved into a smile. "Done for the day?"

"Yeah, are you at home?"

"No, I'm on my way to the grocery."

"Grocery? I'll go with you. Are you on the bus right now?"

"Yes."

"Then, I'll call you when I arrive. Okay?"

"Wait, you're not going home?" I asked.

"I'm bored, I'm going with you."

"You have Seungwan in your house."

"Seungwan went to Busan. She went to hang out with Sooyoung, remember?

"Ohh, right. I forgot about that."

"Yeah, so I'm going to hang out with you today."

"Seulgi, we just went to see a movie the other day and now we're seeing each other again?" I said, laughing. 

"You don't like hanging out with me?"

"That's not what I'm saying."

"Tsk, you don't have a choice anyway because I'm sticking with you. Anyway, I'm in the car right now, call you later."

"Alright, be careful. Bye!"

"Yes, Maam!"

I ended the call with a huge smile on my face. I noticed the passenger on my right was looking at me in my peripheral view, so I turned my head and gave him a questioning expression. He immediately looked away from my look. 

Maybe I was smiling weirdly during the call.

 

Since the day that I meet Seulgi at the airport, we have started hanging out every week. It was not planned but she'll suddenly call me and ask me if I want to go eat after my work or visit this newly opened cafe or watch this new movie in the theater. Sometimes, we have Seungwan with us, but most of the time it's just me and Seulgi. Surprisingly, we were not awkward with each other.

Seulgi was very energetic and I can really see how she was really careful with me. Like when the first time she asked to drive me home, she checks everything from the seatbelt to the brake, wheels, and including the car's chair. I was laughing at her every time she gets anxious like that. I already told her, I don't have problems riding a car. But still, she does it all the time. 

 

 

I went down from the bus when it stopped at my designated station. The grocery store is just three minutes away.

I fixed the scarf on my neck when I felt the cold wind on my skin. Maybe I should have gone here earlier.

The phone in my pocket vibrated and I knew this is Seulgi.

"I'm on my way," I said.

"Okayy, I'm already here. I bought fruits. I'll wait for you."

"All right, see you."

I placed the phone back in my pocket and walked faster to the store. I immediately saw a bear-like figure standing with her hands on her thick coat. She greeted me with her usual eye smile.

"Hi" she waved her hand.

"Let's get in, it's cold," I said and drag her inside the store.

 

 

"Seungwan wants to cook again. So, I'm buying her ingredients." Seulgi said while she pushes our shared shopping cart.

"What is she going to cook this time?"

"Carbonara. Sounds good?"

"Yeah, Seungwan cooks really well."

"Yes, I kinda like her to stay in my house forever because of that," Seulgi said, giggling.

"Then, you should start learning how to cook so that you can eat proper meals."

"You should teach me sometime."

I looked at her. "I'll think about it."

"Sure... So what pasta should I choose?" she asked, holding three packs of different pasta.

"Fettuccine," I said, pointing at the pack. She placed it in the cart, then we proceed to find the other ingredients for Wendy's carbonara.

Seulgi was just following me around with the cart as I roam around to get my groceries. She suddenly became quiet behind me. I glanced at her and then she'll just smile at me like she wasn't spacing out seconds ago.

"Seulgi, are you okay?" I asked. We're on our way to the parking lot carrying our respective grocery bags.

She gave me that smile again. "Yes, I'm fine Joohyun. Why?"

"Is something bothering you? You know you can tell me."

Seulgi opened the backseat door and placed our grocery bags. "Nothing important." then she faced me. "I'm just thinking of the Christmas gifts that I'm going to buy."

"Ohh..." I nodded then we went inside the car. "Speaking of gifts, what present do you want?" I asked.

She leaned closer to check my seatbelt, (like what she always does) then she smiled at me. "I already received my present for this Christmas, so need for that."

"What is it?"

"I won't tell you." she sticking her tongue at me as she wears her seatbelt.

I playfully rolled my eyes at her. "Whatever."

Seulgi let out a satisfied laugh as she drove out from the parking lot. I busied myself looking at the road from the window while thinking of something that I should give to Seulgi. She looks like she already has everything that she needed. Not to mention that Seulgi is not the type who's into material/ expensive things. Maybe I should give her something sentimental like what she said in her broadcast earlier. But the problem is I have no idea what it is.

"What are you thinking?" Seulgi asked, her eyes are still on the road.

"It's a secret." It's my turn to stuck my tongue at her. She just chuckled again.

"Seriously, you don't need to give me anything."

"I'm not thinking about that," I said, still looking at the window.

"Okay. How about you tell me what present do you want?"

I glanced at her. "I want a spaceship," I said in a serious tone. Seulgi laughed loudly, her eyes almost disappeared. "I'm serious, Seulgi."

She glanced at me, checking my 'serious' face. "All right, if that's what you want."

I chuckled, glancing at the window.

We both became quiet after that. Seulgi's constantly humming with the radio's music, while I wordlessly listen to the song.

"I’m in love with you, why are these words so hard, I keep hesitating to say over and over again~" Seulgi sang as she taps the steering wheel when the stoplight went red. 

I silently smiled in my seat while I listen to Seulgi's almost inaudible singing. There is always this unexplainable feeling whenever I listen to her. I was thinking, maybe because her voice has already been registered in my head right before her I knew her; before Seungwan and Sooyoung told me about this certain friend

At first, I found the situation unconvincing because who would agree to visit a comatose stranger every week. I doubt I would do that if I was the one who's on Seulgi's place. From any angle, it doesn't benefit me at all. Sooyoung even said that she didn't expect Seulgi to agree since the idea was completely random. She just wants someone to be with me. 

"Seulgi, can I ask you something?"

She glanced at me briefly and nodded. "Sure, what is it?"

"Why did you agreed with Sooyoung's favor of accompanying me every week?" 

"You mean when you were unconscious?" I nodded. Seulgi then pursed her lips, trying to remember the answer to my question. "Honestly, I hesitated. Not because you were a stranger but for the reason that I will get to visit the hospital more often. You know, things were not really settled for me that time, so as much as possible I tried not to come to Busan... I agreed to Sooyoung because..." she paused.

"Because?"

 

She tilted her head and glanced at me. "I don't know." she chuckled. "I do not have a specific reason for that. I just agreed because my instinct told me to do it. Maybe because I'm also curious about Sooyoung's favorite patient." I scoffed in disappointment with her reason. "You sound disappointed, I'm sorry if I've ruined your expectations," she added.

I brushed it off. "Nah, not really."

"I'm glad I followed my instinct tho because I met sleeping beauty."

I chuckled. "Sleeping beauty?"

She nodded. "Yes because you were sleeping and you are such a beauty."

I smirked and looked away. "Stop bluffing."

"I'm not bluffing. That's a compliment." she slightly turned her head to me. "Are you blushing?" she said, poking my sides.

I quickly moved away to the side. "Hey, eyes on the road," I said shoving her finger away.

"You're blushing," she repeated as she laughs her out.

"I am not blushing." I held my face with my palm, trying to stop the 'blushing' that Seulgi pointed. 

"It's okay, you're cute." 

"Seul shut up!" 

She laughed again. "You're blushing again!" 

 

 

 

 

"What took you so long?!" Seungwan shouted when we heard someone opening the door.

"Sorry, Yeri forgot something in her apartment so we went back." Seulgi entered the kitchen. We are currently busy cooking for dinner. My Mom was out to the mall to buy a cake. "Hi," Seulgi greeted me with a small smile, then placed a familiar plastic bag on the table. "I bought you fruits, do you want to eat them?" she asked. 

I glanced at the plastic then turned to her. "Seulgi, I told you to stop giving me fruits. I'm starting to get sick of them because you're giving it to me almost every day."

"Joohyun it's good for the--"

"Health. I know it's good for the health. You keep saying that. But I'm healthy." I stretched my arms in front of her. "See, I'm good."

Seulgi blinked and turned to Seungwan, trying to ask for help. But the latter just threw a glance at her and then brought her attention back to her cooking.

She signed. "Okay, but you still have to eat them. It's good for the--"

"Seulgi." 

She raised her hand in defeat. "Alright, alright. Fine, you can stop eating them for now."

I nodded. "So, where's Yeri?"

"In the living room, with Sooyoung." she glanced at the busy counter. "What are you cooking by the way?"

"It's food." Seungwan sarcastically answered. Her friend just rolled her eyes at her.

"Seungwan's cooking pasta." I answered instead.

Seulgi groaned in an almost disgusted expression. "Pasta again? You just cooked carbonara last weekend, then you cooked spaghetti last Wednesday."

"Then don't eat it, you ungrateful jerk."

"Right, I'm not planning to anyway." she sat on the chair in front of me. "What about you? What's that?"

"It's Spanish Garlic Shrimp."

"Wow, sounds good. Better than Seungwan's--" she didn't finish her words because a large towel went on right on her face.

"Get out."

Seulgi and I chuckled then she stood up from the chair. "I'm just kidding Seungwan, I like your cooking."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever you say. Just go to the living room."

"Do--"

"Seul, just go with Yeri and Sooyoung," I added when Seulgi was about to fire another teasing comment. She nodded with a huge grin and left the kitchen. I turned to Seungwan who's busy on the stove beside me. "Seulgi's really good at pissing you off." I chuckled.

"I know right. Sometimes, I wish for that quiet Seulgi to come back."

"You guys turned to be closer than I expected tho," I said.

She smiled at me. "Yeah, sometimes I would think that you exchanged personalities with her."

"Why's that?"

"You know, before the accident, you were like the Seulgi right now. You keep annoying the hella out of me, you're stubborn, you're very talkative like you always have something to tell. When I met Seulgi in the hospital, she was quiet--very careful."

"So, you're telling me I became quiet right now?"

Seungwan shrugged. "Not really quiet, you still had that playgirl aura on you sometimes, but you seem to be calmer now."

My eyes widened. "Playgirl? Where's that coming from?" 

"Come on, we know you were that kind of girl BEFORE," she emphasized when I was about to protest again. 

"Yeah before. That's all in the past now."

"Seulgi has that aura now. She's really annoying, but I would rather see this playful side of her than that dead-inside Seulgi." 

I glanced at her. "I guess the Seulgi that we have right now is the better Seulgi?"

Seungwan smiled genuinely. "Yeah, and that's the Seulgi that Sooyoung knew before but the better version."

 

 

Meanwhile Seulgi and friends in the living room...

"You brought alcohol? Is that what you left in your apartment?" I asked when I saw Yeri and Sooyoung pulling out bottles of Soju and Mojito in the paper bag.

"Kang, we need alcohol in gatherings like this."

"I agree with you. Don't worry about Seulgi, she loves to drink."

I sat on the floor with them. "You're making it sound like I'm a drunkard."

"Do you guys want to try Somaek?" Yeri asked with an excited smile. Sooyoung nodded rapidly.

I glanced at them, not having any idea what the hell are they talking about. "Somaek?"

"Soju and beer. You don't know that? I thought you like drinking."

"I'm not into mixing drinks. So... you brought beer?"

Yeri scoffed. "Do you think I'll suggest it without being prepared?" she then pulled out another bottle in the bag. I thought it was already empty. "Tada! Beer."

I chuckled in amusement. She's the true drunkard.

"As expected, when it comes to alcohol, Yeri's always ready." Sooyoung praised.

"So how do you do Somaek?" I asked, lifting the bottle in my hand.

"It's simple, you just mix Soju and Beer and you one-shot it."

"One shot?"

"Yeah, that's how you enjoy the drink," Sooyoung added.

"Seulgi, go get some glasses."

My brows furrowed. "Why me? Sooyoung go get it, I just came back from the kitchen."

"Yeri, you should say go greet Joohyun and Wendy in the kitchen."

The three of us went silent and looked at one another. Everyone's too lazy to stand up.

"Ugh, fine." Sooyoung volunteered herself and went to the kitchen. Yeri and I chuckled in victory.

 

A yell from the kitchen made us glanced at the door then Sooyoung came out with three glasses in her hands. "Why is Seungwan yelling?"

"She's nagging about us drinking in broad daylight and that what if we get drunk before dinner."

"Broad daylight? It's almost five, that's okay." Yeri scoffed.

"Yeah, that's what I said. This is just soju and beer anyway, we won't get drunk."

"So, Yeri show us how you do it." I eagerly asked as I placed my hands on my crossed legs.

"Oh, it's very easy." she opened the bottles and positioned one of the glasses for the first taste. "Who's going to drink it first?" 

"Sooyoung." I pointed and my tall friend nodded her head.

"One shot, okay?" Yeri poured a decent amount of Soju, then beer. She immediately handed the glass to Sooyoung. "Go, go, go."

Sooyoung indeed drank all of it in one go. Her eyes went wide open as she gulped. "Woah!"

"How is it? How is it?"

"It's delicious!" she exclaimed, covering .

Yeri raised her hands for a high five and they both clap their hands together. "I told you."

I was watching them with an amused face. "Let me try it," I said.

"Alright, alright." Yeri then made one for me. I drank it in one go as Sooyoung did.

My brows furrowed as I gulped the drink. "Woah, it's good!" I exclaimed, then we clapped our hands together again.

"Let's pour it in sequence so that Yeri can drink too," Sooyoung suggested.

We lined up the three glasses beside each other, then poured soju to them. Sooyoung and I prepared our hands to grab our glass and Yeri also prepared her left hand, her other hand is holding the beer.

"In 1, 2, 3!" Yeri poured the beer and we drank it in sequence. We hissed at the same time as we wipe our mouths with the back of our hands.

"From now on, this is my favorite drink," I said.

"Me too," Sooyoung said, raising her glass.

"I told you this is amazing."

"Let's drink again," I said.

"Mojito mojito."

We raised our glasses together then we excitedly yelled. "Cheers!"

 

 

 

 

*blag!*

I flinched on the spot with the loud thud from the living room.

"What the hell is that?" Seung-wan and I stopped our busy hands.

"Seulgi?" I called. But they went silent. "Seulgi!" I called louder.

Then a loud music from the speaker suddenly poked our ears. I let go of the knife and washed my hands. "I'll go check them."

Seungwan also hurriedly wash her hands. "I'll go with you."

 

An entirely messy living room welcomed me and Seungwan. Five bottles of empty Soju and other alcohols were scattered on the floor. Sooyoung is standing on the couch with her hands in the air. Yeri doing popping beside Sooyoung, and Seulgi head banging on the wall.

"Let's change the music." Yeri pulled out her phone and the whole room was then filled with Justin Timberlake's y Back intro.

I immediately blurted a laugh upon seeing the three simultaneously move their heads sideways with the music. Seungwan was just standing beside me with her hands on her hips. Oh, well.

 

I'm bringing y back

"YEAH!" the three yelled.

Them other boys don't know how to act

"YEAH!

I think you're special, what's behind your back?

"YEAH!"

So turn around and I'll pick up the slack

"YEAH!"

Take 'em to the bridge

Dirty babe~

 

I immediately walked towards Seulgi when she's about to step on the couch. "Hey, hey, hey," I pulled her arm down.

Seulgi was about to shove my hands away but when she saw me pulling her, she immediately went down and grinned hugely. "Irene!"

I raised my brows with the name. "You're drunk," I said as I held Seulgi in her arms to keep her standing. She shook her head.

"Nonono, I'm not drunk. I'm just enjoying the music... Go ahead, be gone with it" Seulgi sang as she sways her head again to the side.

"You're calling me Irene."

Seulgi frowned. "You are Irene."

"Sooyoung, Yeri, get your asses down here." Seungwan pulled the other two from standing on the couch. "Yeri, stop that." she snatched the bottle of Mojito on Yeri's hand, she's about to drink it.

"Who's Irene?" Sooyoung asked, Seungwan was supporting her to stand still.

"Seulgi's crush." Yeri blurted out behind Joy. She tried to grab the bottle in Seungwan's hand, but the Seungwan was quick to swing it away. "Come on Wendy, I'm not drunk yet. We're just drinking Soju."

"Uh-huh, not drunk." Seungwan sarcastically scoffed.

"Crush who?" Seulgi asked.

"Who's Irene?" Sooyoung asked again.

"She's my friend," Seulgi answered. "My friend," she added, wrapping her arms on my shoulders. "Hey, are you hungry? Do you want to eat fruits?" she asked. 

I shook my head. "No, I'm good. Come on, you guys are drunk, seat down." I removed Seulgi's hand and guided her to the couch. She then followed like a child.

 

We managed to put them together on the couch. The music is still playing so three heads were still swaying to the side with the beat even they were just sitting.

 

Dirty babe

You see these shackles

Baby I'm your slave~

 

"I'll go get them water." I was about to take a step when someone pulled my hand.

"Dirty babe where are you going?" Seulgi asked, grinning, eyes almost half-close.

Seungwan, Yeri, and Sooyoung laughed loudly. I bit my lip to stifle a laugh. Dirty what?

"I'm going to get you water," I said.

"You're an idiot, Seulgi." Yeri shook her head.

"Irene, you should stay away from my friend. She's weird." Sooyoung said, lazily pointing her hands at Seulgi. "You're Irene, right?" she asked me.

"Uhm--"

"I told you, she's Seulgi's crush," Yeri answered.

"Yeah, so she's Irene?" Sooyoung pointed at me, then Yeri lazily nodded her head.

"Yeah, Seulgi keeps telling me that Irene is so pretty."

"Cringy." Sooyoung chuckled. "But, yeah, you're pretty. What do you think about my friend?" she patted Seulgi who's about to doze off but flinch at the pat on her shoulder.

"Uhh, what do you want me to say?" I said, trying to keep up with these drunken friends. Seungwan was just listening to us.

"Do you like her?" Yeri asked with a playful smile.

"Yeah, I like her, she's a good friend."

"Nah." Sooyoung waved her hand. "You know we're not talking about that 'like'. We're asking if you like her--not as a friend."

I glanced at Seulgi-- who's looking at me with sleepy eyes, then to Seungwan who's the only one normal in this situation. But she just shrugged, telling me 'well...answer it'

I sighed, they won't remember anything I say anyway. "Well, she's not bad--I mean, yeah, I think I like her."

The others clapped their hands except for Seulgi who's eyes were already close. They were smiling ear to ear, including Seungwan.

"Yey, I finally got Seulgi a girlfriend." Sooyoung patted herself.

"G-Girlfriend?" I asked but was ignored by the two.

"Yeah, cheers!" Yeri raised the bottle of beer and drank it straight before Seungwan can protest.

"I'll go get them water. You stay with your girlfriend." Seungwan stood up from the floor and walked past me.

"Hey, I am not anyone's girlfriend." I yelled to her but she just gave a 'whatever' wave.

I glanced at Seulgi and sat beside her. "Hey, Seulgi?" I gently patted her shoulder but she's still not moving.

Is she asleep? That fast?

"You can't wake her up. Just leave her there." Sooyoung said. Yeri and her were lying their heads to the couch.

"Yeah, I thought so."

"Urgh, I think I'm going to throw up"

"I'm hungry--"

Yeri was about to complain about her growling stomach when the door suddenly opened. My mom stood at the entrance, dumbfounded when she saw the living room. Sooyoung and Yeri immediately stand up. I think they're suddenly sober.

"Good afternoon, Mrs. Bae!" They greeted at the same time--sounding like soldiers. My Mom just laughed at them.

"Hi, you seem to be enjoying yourselves already," she said as she glances at the floor full of bottles. Sooyoung immediately starts to pick up the bottles and placed them back in the paper bag in the corner. Yeri followed her.

"Hi, Auntie." Seungwan came back with a pitcher and glass in her hand, then she hugged my Mom. "I'm sorry about the house. We were just cooking in the kitchen, then these kids started to drink until they got drunk."

"Oh, it's fine, no worries. Is Seulgi okay?" My Mom asked when she saw the asleep bear beside me.

"Yeah, she'll sober up later," I said, then went to get the cake in her hands. "Mom, we're not done cooking yet."

"Don't worry, I'll do that. Can you put your friends upstairs so that they can at least take a nap before we eat dinner?"

"Okay, we'll help you when we come back."

 

"Oof." Seungwan and I instantly massage our shoulders after we put the last person on the bed.

"Why are they so heavy?" Seungwan complained.

I fixed the comforter above their bodies. "They'll be alright in an hour, right?"

"Yeah, I think so."

"We should have checked them earlier before they got drunk."

"Joohyun, they're not kids."

"I know, but Seulgi looks like she's about to faint."

She chuckled. "Now you sound like a real girlfriend."

I immediately slapped her arm. "Shut up."

"She'll be fine. She's usually like that when she's drunk."

I looked at the three friends in the bed one last time before I walked through the door. 

"Okay, let's just go back to the kitchen," I said. Seungwan nodded, then we went down to finish what we left.

"Are they alright?" My Mom asked.

"Yes Auntie, they'll be fine."

 

We finished cooking faster than I expected because of my Mom. It was almost 8 pm when Seungwan went upstairs to wake up the others. Fortunately, they don't look drunk anymore.

The three of them sat on the table, all the same--massaging their temples. My Mom was just laughing at them.

"Are you guys okay?" I asked. Seungwan's pouring water on their glasses.

"Yeah... I'm hungry." Seulgi said.

"Me too."

"Me too."

"Okay, let's eat?" My Mom sat in the center chair. Sooyoung and Yeri nodded.

"Thank You for the food."

 

 

"Did I throw up?" Seulgi asked. She's helping me with the dishes.

"No, you just fell asleep."

"I'm sorry."

I glanced at her. "What are you sorry for?"

"Because we got drunk and kinda bothered you and Seungwan and your Mom."

I chuckled. "It's alright, Seul. I didn't know you were good at headbanging tho."

Seulgi placed back the plate in her hands to the sink and turned to me. "I did what?"

"Headbanging."

She chuckled to herself. "I really did that?"

"Yeah, you were like someone that I didn't know."

She lowered her head in embarrassment. "Ahh, I'm so stupid. I'm sorry."

"It's fine, you were cute."

"Headbanging is definitely not cute. Please don't mention that again."

"Don't mention what? That you're good at headbanging?" I teased.

"Joohyun." she warned.

"Oh, you're calling me Joohyun again. I thought my name's Irene."

"Irene? I called you Irene?"

"Yeah."

"Woah, I'm that drunk."

"I kinda like the name tho."

"Do you want me to call you Irene then?" she said, slightly nudging me with her shoulder.

"No, that'll be unusual."

"Nah--"

"Kang! Can you stop flirting with Joohyun? We're exchanging gifts soon." Yeri yelled from the living room.

"Shut up!" she yelled back. She smiled apologetically. "I'm sorry, she's too loud."

I smiled. "It's okay, and she's right, let's finish this quickly."

"Yes, Ma'am!"

 

 

"Should I expect a spaceship?" I asked Seulgi when we're about to open our gifts now.

"Are you really serious?"

I frowned. "So, this is not a spaceship?"

"It's not, I'm sorry. But I hope you like it."

I eyed her for a second then I opened the small box. She wrapped it poorly, and I kinda have an idea what it is. But the moment I saw the item in the box, my eyes still widened in amusement.

It's a necklace with a snowflake crystal pendant.

"Give it to me, I'll help you wear it." she gently pulled out the necklace. I moved my hair to the side as she wore the necklace on me. "Do you like it?" she asked glancing at the necklace on my neck.

I smiled brightly. "Of course! I like it, why are you still asking?"

"Because you wanted spaceship?"

I playfully slap her arm. "Of course this is better. Actually, anything is fine. Thank you Seulgi." I said and gently pulled her for a hug.

"You're welcome Joohyun," she said patting my back.

"Ehem!"

Seulgi immediately pulled out of the hug when she saw my Mom beside me. I saw our friends snorting at the couch.

"Seulgi, did you like my gift?" My Mom asked.

"Y-yes Auntie I like it. Thank you." she immediately answered.

My mom smiled at her. "But, you didn't open it yet," she said pointing at the box above the table.

Seulgi's eyes widened. "Oh! I'm already liking it, Auntie."

"Really? It's a rat trap by the way."

The was instantly filled with laughter when we saw Seulgi's dumbfounded face. "Rat what?" she asked. "Auntie, what is it again?"

"Rat trap Seul," Wendy repeated.

"For real?"

My Mom patted her shoulders, still laughing. "We're kidding. Don't worry it's not a rat trap."

Seulgi pouted and turned to me. "Joohyun, they're making fun of me," she whined cutely.

I giggled at her expression and was about to comfort her when the three suddenly scoffed.

"I think she's still drunk," Yeri commented.

The other two nodded. "Yeah, I think her head needs to be banged to the wall again," Wendy added.

"I am not drunk," Seulgi stated. 

"Okay, kids that's enough, stop teasing Seulgi." My Mom said before our friends throw another tease at Seulgi. "Can you ladies still drink? I brought a bottle of champagne."

"Mom no, they can't drink anymore," I warned before Yeri and Sooyoung can agree to her. 

"I thought so. That's too bad. How about you Seungwan?" she asked.

Seungwan nodded excitedly. "Of course, I can, I can." 

"Me too." Seulgi raised her hand like a kid.

I glared at her. "Seulgi," She gave me that 'please-let-me-drink' look.

"Me too, I can." 

"Me too." 

"Joohyun it's okay, it's just one bottle," Seungwan assured. 

I sighed at them. "Fine, but I won't drink," I said. 

"Okay, I'll go get some glass." 

 

 

 

"Seungwan, come on last step," I said, almost out of breath as I help Seungwan up the stairs. 

Unfortunately, I have to take care of my drunk friends again for the second time today. After my Mom left us to sleep in her room, the three of them, Seungwan, Yeri, and Sooyoung finished the champagne and another bottle of mojito that Yeri brought. Seulgi just drank one glass of champagne because I stopped her to drink more. I can't take care of them all alone.

I groaned as I finally placed my friend to the bed, Yeri and Sooyoung beside her. 

"Are you okay?" Seulgi asked as she gently massaged my shoulder. I felt the hairs at the back of my neck stand with the gesture.

"Y-yeah, I'm fine." 

"Are you sleepy?" she asked again, fixing the blanket in Yeri's body. 

"No, I'm not sleepy yet. How about you, does your head hurt?"

She shook her head and walked towards me. "No, but I think I need to drink coffee." 

"Come on, I'll make you one," I said and walked to the door. 

Seulgi sat on the chair in front of me while I make coffee for her. She was just quietly looking at my actions. 

I started to get conscious with her stares and almost spilled the coffee as I hand it to her. "Thank you." she said.

I leaned forward to the counter and watched blow the hot drink. "So, what do you think about my gift?" I asked. 

She placed the cup down. "The scarf?" 

"Is there something else?" I raised my brow.

She chuckled then gave me those eye smiles again. "I like it, thank you Joohyun. I'll use it well." 

"You're welcome. Does my gift ranks number 1 then?" 

"No." 

My face suddenly dropped at her answer. I tried to hide my disappointment with a nod. "Okay." 

Seulgi saw my expression then she immediately chuckled. She folded her arms and placed them at the counter. "Aw, are you upset?" 

I scoffed. "Of course not. I guess your fangirls and fanboys already gave you the best gift ever." I tried not to sound bitter.

"I told you I already received the best gift even before Christmas, and it's not from my fans, FYI."

I glanced at her. "What is it then?" 

"You." She blurted.

I blinked rapidly. 

"It's you, Joohyun. Seeing you again after years is the best gift that I have ever received. Seeing you healthy and not in a hospital bed, talking to a completely awake Joohyun, seeing your lips move for a smile. It has always been my wish and I'm glad that the universe finally granted it. It was a long wait, but yeah, great things take time." 

We stared at each other for a moment before I look away in shyness. How can she say those things straight to my face? 

I can't even find the right words to say in this situation, it's overwhelming.

"It's okay, you don't have to say anything," she added like she just read my mind. 

I looked at her again. "Thank you, Seulgi. Thank you for staying with my Mom and Seungwan during those times." 

She shook her head. "No. Thank you. Thank you for coming into my life during those times."

I remained silent again and just stared at her. She goes back to her coffee as if she didn't say those touching words to me. 

"Seulgi," I called after the long silence. She raised her head to me. 

"Hmm?" 

"Should we take a walk outside?"

She smiled and nodded her head. "Sure."

 

"I thought it's already midnight," Seulgi said.

After walking for almost 20 minutes, we decided to seat at the wooden bench not too far from the house. With the sky full of stars above us, me and Seulgi are enjoying the peaceful atmosphere around us.

"We still have thirty minutes before Christmas," I said, glancing at my watch.

"Are you sure you're not cold?" she asked, fixing the thick scarf on my neck. Then she held my hand and properly wore the gloves on me. 

I smiled. These simple gestures of her never failed to make my heart warm. She takes care of me like I am a fragile glass. 

"Why are you smiling?" she asked. 

"I'm just amused that you're still treating me like a patient, where in fact, I'm completely healthy now."

Seulgi's expression turned worried. "Am I making you uncomfortable?"

I quickly shook my head. "Of course not. I just don't want you to get anxious all the time." 

"I'm not anxious, I'm just fixing your scarf." she chuckled.

"I'm talking about whenever we ride your car, whenever we cross the road, whenever I sleep late, whenever I eat unhealthy foods--when in fact you don't even eat vegetables yourself-- you're treating me like I'm extremely sick," I explained, in the calmest voice possible.

"I know. I'm sorry if I'm making you comfortable with my anxiousness sometimes." she lowered her head. "I'm still adjusting since the last time I saw was you're in that hospital bed. I wasn't there when you recovered; when you had your therapy sessions. So, my memory of you is still in that period. I know you're completely okay now, it's just--it's just, I want to do this."

I held both of her shoulders to face me. "Seulgi, you don't have to think too much. I appreciate everything that you've done to take care of me. I just don't want you to be worried about me all the time." 

"I know, I'm sorry, I won't force you to eat fruits again." she pouted. 

I laughed and pinched her cheek. "It's not like I hate eating them. It's just I can't finish them all because there's too many."

"Then, I'll try not to bring a lot."

I nodded. "That works too."

 

 

We took another stroll after that fruit talk. There are no other people around us and it's too quiet. 

I stopped on my track when I heard Seulgi spoke, "Hey, Joohyun."

"Hmm?"

"I have something to ask." I nodded my head signaling her to go on. "Were you serious about the thing that you said to Sooyoung earlier?"

My brows furrowed. I can't remember anything. "About what?"

She sighed. "I can't say it, you should try to remember." 

I scratched the back of my neck trying to recollect what Sooyoung said. 

Ah!

I raised my head to Seulgi and saw her nervous expression. It made me laugh. 

Should I say it again?

"I thought you were drunk? We're you pretending to be asleep then?" 

She smiled awkwardly. "My eyes were just closed but I wasn't sleeping."

"So?"

"So?"

I chuckled. "What do you want me to say?"

"Joohyun," she whines. 

"What? You already heard what I said to Sooyoung. So what can you say?"

"Isn't it obvious?"

"Obvious what?" I teased. 

She groaned in frustration. "That I like you."

 

From that moment, I just stared at her. I feel like I'm flying when I heard those words. 

"Say something please."

I cup her face and planted a quick kiss on her cheek. I immediately hid my face at the side of her neck. "I like you too," I muttered. 

Seulgi didn't move for a second. I tapped her back then she finally wrapped her arms around me and buried her face on my neck.

"Joohyun."

"Hmm?"

"Thank you."

"For liking you?"

She chuckled. The feeling of her breath in my neck made the hairs all over my body stand up. "Thank you for coming into my life." 

"You already said that earlier." 

"Then, I'm saying it again. I'll thank you again tomorrow, and then the next day, then the next next day. I'll show you my gratitude forever."

I pulled away from the hug and raised my brow at her. "Are you saying that you like me because you're thankful for my presence?"

"Of course not. That's different. I like you because--"

"Because your instinct told you?"

She laughed. "No, because my heart chose you." 

I immediately scoffed, hoping to hide the lingering effect that Seulgi gave to me. She held my hand and squeeze it. 

"So, is Bae Joohyun, my girlfriend, now?" she asked with a wide smile.

"No."

Seulgi's almost winning smile was immediately erased and turned into a frown. I bit my lip trying not to smile. "No?"

"Give me thirty seconds," I said glancing at my wrist and took a step away from her. 

"You just ruined the moment," she muttered.

"What?

"I said, take your time."

I narrowed my eyes at her and she showed me that cheeky smile.

You're lucky you're cute.

 

She indeed waited thirty seconds. I took a step closer. 

"Ask me again." 

"Are you going to say yes?"

"Seulgi, just ask me again," I whined. 

She chuckled and held me by the waist. "Bae Joohyun, will you be my girlfriend?" she asked with a gentle voice. 

I plastered a smile and nodded. "Yes, Kang Seulgi."

 

Then just like how fireworks brighten up the sky above us. Sparks were seen all over when we closed the gap between us and opened a new chapter of our lives with a kiss. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"You were acting like I'm asking you for a marriage." 

"Shut up. You're the cheesy one." 

"Says someone who waited midnight for the fireworks."

"I am not eating any of your fruits anymore." 

"Hey you can't, it's good for the--"

"Shut up!"