Part 2

Winter Story

December 24, 2017 - Sunday

 

I was lying on my bed while staring at the ceiling. I could not sleep and it was almost seven in the morning.

My phone suddenly rang and I was about to turn it off when I saw an unknown number. My hand hesitated to take the call but decided to answer it anyway. I reached for my phone and took it to my ear. 

"Hello?"

"Hello? Who is this?" I asked, slightly found the voice familiar. 

"This is Wendy. Sorry, I got your number from Joy."

"Wendy! Hi, what's up?" 

"It's Irene." 

I instantly moved from the bed. "Huh? Why? What's wrong? How's Irene?" I started to get extremely nervous. 

"Seul, can you come here right now?" I stared at my feet. I have no idea what's happening. But I had to be there if they want me to. "I know you have somewhere to be later. But--"

"No, I'll go there..." I hopped off from the bed. "Uhm, Wendy?" My heart was aching, I can't think straight. "Whatever happens, please tell Irene to wait for me," I said, my voice almost broke. Wendy became silent for a while.

"Please Wendy," I begged. 

"Of course. Of course."

"Okay, I'll be there." 

 

I immediately went to the bathroom after the call.

 

My thoughts were all over the place as I rode the train to Busan. I was not in the right state of mind to drive and it was also faster for me to arrive.

I was thinking of the possibilities of seeing my Mom while I was in the hospital. I suddenly felt worried, not knowing how to face her after I shouted at her face. But it was instantly brushed off when Irene came to my mind again. Here she is again, always shoving my problems away without her doing anything. 

I could not imagine the situation in the hospital after my call with Wendy. I think Joy will also be devastated if anything will happen to her favorite patient. 

 

It took me less than three hours to arrive and I almost ran all the way to the hospital. Then, I went straight to the second floor where Wendy told me to go. The ICU room was on the ground floor. 

I saw Wendy sitting in the outpatient waiting area. She was looking down, hands on her lap. 

"Wendy..." I softly called. 

Irene's friend raised her head right then."Seulgi."

"Where's Irene's Mom?" I asked as I sat down beside her. 

"She's with the doctor."

"Are you okay?" I caressed her back.

She shook her head.

My heart was arching for Irene and her friend. I can't do anything for both of them. I looked up when my eyes began to sting. I had to be brave even if I still don't have any idea what's going on.

"Wendy." we both turned to where the voice came from. 

My eyes instantly widened when I saw the lady in the vending machine that I saw weeks ago. 

"Auntie." Wendy approached her and they hugged. 

I was still dumbfounded but I was fully aware that this woman is Irene's Mom. 

Then they both glanced at me. 

"Uhm, I think Auntie knows about you, right?" Wendy asked. I nodded. Then the lady smiled at me she offered her hand. 

"Seulgi, right?"

I quickly accepted her hand. "Yes, Maam. Nice to meet you... I don't know if you remembered, but we have met once before. Uhm--you were kicking that broken Vending Machine."

"Yes, I know. I remember you tried to help me with that," she said, lightly laughing.

"Yeah, who would've thought that you'll be Irene's Mom."

"I guess we're bound to meet." she smiled. "Thank you for accompanying my Irene, Seulgi."

I looked at her and smiled back. "You're welcome. She somehow became my friend."

"I'm grateful that Irene has friends like you two." she looked at me and Wendy with pure admiration. 

"If you don't mind me asking, how is Irene's condition?" I asked. The smile on her face was immediately erased. Her expression became confused.

"Her condition is still the same for the past 2 months," she stated.

I glanced at Wendy with questioning eyes. Irene is still the same, and why was her expression like her friend's gonna die. It's not like I had to rejoice, but I was thinking of the worst when I was on my way to the hospital.

"Sorry, I thought you should visit her one last time before you go." Wendy gave me an innocent smile.

I mentally facepalm with the said words from Wendy. I told her that I already bid goodbye to Irene the last time I visited. Now, I feel so embarrassed with the little drama on the phone earlier.

"Why? Are you going somewhere Seulgi?" The mother asked.

"Yes... I kinda need to go somewhere."  I answered. "Ma'am, can you tell me more about Irene's condition?"  I asked, diverting the topic away.

Irene's Mom seemed to forget about the said fact instantly. "The impact of the accident on her head was too much so the doctor could not guarantee that Irene will regain consciousness. They focused more on saving her life. But we're still holding on to that little chance that they gave me." she smiled sadly. "I wouldn't say that giving up didn't cross my mind once."

I nodded at her. Wendy told me already about this and I completely understand Irene's Mom. She was torn between keeping Irene with her and not wanting her to suffer more.

"Auntie, we can still wait for another week, right?" Wendy said as she grips the lady's hand.

"Wendy--"

"Please Auntie," Wendy begged.

The lady smiled. "Of course. Maybe we can still wait for another month, right?" The both of us nodded and smiled at her. "As long as Irene doesn't give up, then the doctors won't give up either. My daughter is strong, she won't fail us. And I thank God that she gave me and Irene two lovely friends that I can hold on to." 

Wendy pouted as tears started to form because of the lady's words. Through it was against my will, I was also on the verge of crying. I immediately turned my back to the two as I breathe heavily. Irene's Mom pulled me and she hugged me with Wendy, and just like that, we started to sob on her shoulder. "Shhh... everything's gonna be alright." she comforted.

 

That time, I wondered. How can her Mom be this strong? When in fact, she is the one who's hurting the most.

 

"We have to go to Irene now. You don't want her to see how messy you are, right?" she said tapping our backs and she stood up holding our hands with her. "Come on, my daughter is waiting." then she smiled.

Irene's Mom walked ahead of us. Wendy and I were a crying mess as we walk to the ICU room. We were already wearing our isolation gowns and waited to the long chair outside the room. 

 

"Hey," someone tapped my shoulder and I looked up. It was Joy smiling at me. Wendy and Irene's Mom also glanced at her. 

"Dr. Park, how are you?" the lady asked. 

"I'm good, thank you for asking Ma'am," she responded. "You're going inside, right?" I nodded with her question. "Seul, are you fine going with me? The ICU can only allow two people with the patient."

I glanced at the two people sitting beside me then I looked up to Joy. "Yes, I'm okay with that."

My friend sat beside me and wrapped my shoulder with her arms. "You'll be fine." she smiled at me. "Irene will be fine."

 

A nurse signaled us from the glass door that we can come inside. Wendy and Irene's Mom went first while me and Joy remained on our seat. The both of us were just silent. I felt that Joy was constantly glancing at me.

"Seul, I'm sorry," she said, breaking the silence.

I looked at her. "Why are you sorry? You didn't do anything."

"I know. I'm just... I just feel sorry." she said looking down at her hands. I knew she was pertaining about what happened between me and my Mom.

I patted my friend's back and smiled at her. She didn't know how that simple favor of visiting her patient made me happy for a short period of time. "Thank You, Joy. Thank you for giving me the chance to know Irene."

"Don't say anything like that. You're making me cry," she said, sniffing.

I smiled at her. "Okay, I'll shut up."

 

 

It was our turn to enter the room. I was standing near the door and Joy was leaning her hands on the patient's bed. She was looking at her in pure sadness and regret.

"Seulgi come here, why are standing there?" Joy tugged my arm towards her. "You don't have any story to tell to Irene today?"

I stared at the sleeping woman. "I think I ran out of stories to tell."

"Does that include you leaving the country tonight?"

My gaze turned to my friend. "Joy, I have to do this."

"I understand, but does your reason still valid with Irene right here."

I sighed.

I don't want to leave everyone like this. But I needed to stay away as soon as possible. I resigned from my job last Friday and booked a one-way flight to New York. I was planning to stay there for a month or more, I was not really sure. I told Joy and Wendy about my plan. They didn't want me to go, not before Irene wakes up. However, I told them that Irene and I were practically strangers in her own memory, so my decision will not affect her in any way.

"She has Wendy and her Mom... and you." I gave her an assuring smile.

"Seulgi--"

"You said it will be fine." I cut her off. "Then, it will be fine."

"Irene," Joy patted her shoulder lightly. "Do you want Seulgi to go?" she asked. "She's going somewhere really far."

I chuckled at her then glanced at Irene. "Stop bothering her."

"If she's awake, she would definitely stop you--"

"Hey, hey, hey." my eyes instantly widened when I saw Irene's eyebrows move. Joy also noticed the movement. "I'm not the only one seeing this right?" I asked in panic.

Joy was also shocked as me. "Irene? Can you hear me? Can you try lifting your left hand?" she asked.

My eyesight was definitely not 20/20, but I clearly saw how she slowly moved her left hand. 

And that made Joy and I freak out on the spot. I opened the sliding door and called out someone who's outside. They asked me to stay outside the ICU room while Joy was calling her professor.

"Seulgi, what happened?" Irene's Mom asked as soon as I stepped out. She was also on the verge of panicking.

"Irene, Uhh, She's... she moved her hand!" I barely finished my sentence. My hands were shaking.

Her Mom covered as she starts to cry. Wendy was spacing out but still managed to take care of her friend's Mom. A minute after, Joy and her professor came running to the ICU room. Wendy and her Mom sat down in the waiting area across the room while I remained standing near the door. I saw the doctors checking Irene.

After few minutes of observation, the doctors came out of the room. Professor Kim was smiling when he told us that Irene's case was a miracle. Somehow, she can respond to doctors' commands but can barely open her eyes nor talk a single word. It was normal since she just woke from a two-month unconsciousness. He told us that we just have to wait for a few days until Irene can open her eyes, then they can transfer her out from the ICU. Nevertheless, we are all happy with the news.

I left Wendy and Irene's Mom to the ICU after the doctor announced the great news. I wanted them to have some time alone with Irene, so I went to the mini-park outside. I took a seat to the bench where I usually sit and opened the can of coffee that I got from the Vending Machine. It was almost 12 PM when I checked my watch. My flight was at eleven in the evening, so I have to get back to my apartment at nine or eight.

Earlier when I was on the train, I thought that if anything bad will happen to Irene today, I would consider that as a sign to cancel the flight and stay here. But, the opposite happened. This was the universe telling me to go. Irene is already fine. I don't have to leave with a heavy anymore.

"There is really a rainbow after a rain huh," I muttered, smiling at the cloudy sky. It was snowing when I arrived at the hospital, I guess it stopped hours ago.

"Any change of plans?" A voice whom I extremely knew was heard to my left. I raised my head to looked at her. Then, she sat beside me.

"No, Irene just gave me a sign to go," I answered.

Joy nudged my shoulder. "Hey, did you forgot that she was awake because I asked her about you leaving?"

I chuckled. "I strongly believe that it was a coincidence, Dr. Park."

"So, you're taking your 'friend's' positive improvement as the final blow for you to go?" she asked, raising a brow.

I nodded. "Yeah..."

"Seulgi, are you sure about this? You don't know anyone in that country."

"Joy, before that fight with my Mom. I have already been dreaming of studying in New York. If possible, I would definitely live there for the rest of my life."

My friend stared at me then she signed, probably realized that she can't do anything to stop me. "Why New York tho?"

"No specific reason."

"Seriously?"

"Yeah..." I said half-laughing. "Anyway, how is my 'friend'?" I said, emphasizing the word which earned a smirk from Joy.

"It may take a while for her to recover. She will probably start her rehabilitation and speech therapy next week if things go well until then," she explained.

I nodded my head. "That's good. Will take her a year to completely recover?"

"Yes, but actually, the period won't matter right now." She looked up to the sky. "The most important thing is that she's alive. Although, the path will be quite tough... I know that she will recover someday."

I stared at my friend. "Now, you're speaking like a real doctor, Dr. Park," I said.

"Tsk, shut up."

 

We went inside the hospital after that little chitchat in the park. Joy was still insisting that I should cancel the flight and I also continuously refused her. She brought me to the cafeteria and we ate lunch together with Wendy. Irene's Mom refused to leave her daughter's side so we just brought her a take-out.

It was 2 PM when we went down to the waiting lounge where Irene's Mom was resting.

It was also time for me to go.

The three of us were sitting facing the glass window of the hospital. Joy was called out to the ER. I had no idea how to start my farewell to Irene's Mother. Unfortunately, I had to bid goodbye the same day that I introduced myself.

Wendy lightly hit me with her elbow, signaling me to talk. I cleared my throat and slightly turned to the lady. "Uhm, Maam?" I started. She turned to me and smiled. "I hate to say this right now... but I have to leave the two of you here," I said.

Irene's Mom nodded. I can still remember the sadness in her eyes. "Before you leave, you should go see my daughter first."

"She's right Seulgi, you should go see her one last time," said Wendy.

I shook my head. "No, she needs to rest. Besides, I already told her that I'm leaving."

"That was when she was unconscious. If you feel shy, don't worry, she can barely move her eyes. But she can understand anything you say." her Mom insisted. I stared at her a second before a nodded my head.

 

I went to the ICU room alone with heavy steps. I hope that she's sleeping so that she won't hear anything that I'm going to say. As soon as I entered her room, I could feel that the entire atmosphere between us was changed. I took a step closer to her bed and observed her face. Thank God, she was definitely sleeping.

I nonchalantly smiled while looking at her pretty face, I bet her eyes were as beautiful as they are.

I smacked my lips together, thinking of something that I should say to this sleeping friend.

"Uhh..." I unsurely started in my lowest voice possible. I did not want to disturb her on her sleep."I met your Mom today, and it's pretty epic. She was the one who I saw in the Vending Machine when I first came here."

I took a silent deep breath."Irene, I seriously don't wanna say goodbye to you right now, because I believe that we'll meet each other again. And I hope that when I introduced myself, you're not lying on that hospital bed anymore."

 

"And when things get really hard for you, always remember that you have your Mom, Wendy, Joy... and me." I looked down to the floor. "I will try to be a better person when I come back. So, you also have to do your part, right? Please be healthy." I lifted my hand to her head and gently patted it. "Thank You for listening to my nonsense rants and lending me your ear. Thank you for showing me that life is indeed short thus we have to make every second worthy. Thank you for making me smile... This is really the last time. Till we meet again, Irene. Merry Christmas." I said then I walked through the door with looking back.

 

Wendy, Joy, and Irene's Mom we're waiting outside the ICU. When they spotted me, the two immediately went to me. I gave them my happiest smile.

"I have to go, I still need to pack some of my things," I said. They were frowning like a toddler. I laughed at them. "What's with the long face?"

"You're so annoying." Joy hit it in the arm. Her eyes were teary again.

"Dr. Park you're supposed to be with your patients right now," I said and she just smirked, wiping her eyes.

"Seulgi, are you sure you're leaving right now? Can't you move your flight?--I don't know, maybe tomorrow instead?" Wendy tried to convince me one more time.

"Wendy, I already told you, I will go today," I said firmly. Wendy nodded disappointingly.

I turned to the lady standing beside them. She smiled at me and pulled me into a hug. "I can't thank you enough for being there for my daughter. Please take care of yourself so that Irene will be thrilled to meet you when we tell her about you soon," she said.

I nodded, then she pulled herself out. I have these thoughts that I wanted to say to them. "Uhm, about that." I looked at the other two. "Can you guys not tell Irene about me?" My friends' brows furrowed at the same time when I asked the favor. "I wanted to personally introduce myself again when she's completely recovered."

"Of course, we can do that." Irene's Mom agreed then she looks at the other two whose faces were purely annoyed. "We can do that for Seulgi, right? Wendy? Dr. Park?"

Joy sighed. "Fine."

I turned to Wendy. "Okay."

I smiled at them. "Thank you." I tugged them into a quick hug and pulled out right after. "I really have to go. You guys stay here."  I said and didn't wait for them to say anything before I turned my back to them. I  walked straight into the exit of the hospital without looking back.

 

 

That night, I celebrated Christmas by myself above the clouds.

 

 

 

DJ, I wrote this letter in the middle of the night. I woke up from a dream that has Irene in it. I don't know if it was a coincidence, but I dreamed about her on the same date that I went to her room, October 27.

Honestly, I have been itching to ask my friends about her. But every time I'm about to dial their numbers, I became a chicken. Speaking of my friends, the three of us were planning to celebrate this year's Christmas together in Korea. If things go smoothly, this will be my first time celebrating Christmas with them. I wonder if they can bring Irene tho.

Anyway, I finally got to talk with my Mom after a year, she went to New York with my Dad. That time, I was not angry anymore. I told them my concerns and I listened to them. Though I still don't want to give the house to my Dad, my father accepted my decision wholeheartedly. They suggested that we sell the house instead. But I refused and told them that I was planning to live there when I can finally come back to Korea.

 

I guess this will be the end, I ran out of words to write.

Happy holiday's everyone! I hope you got yourselves, someone you can cuddle with in this cold weather. I don't have one but yeah, it's fine lol. Bye! :))

 

P.s. While I was on break, I learned that the quote "TIME HEALS ALL WOUNDS" is not true. Time doesn't heal anything but it helps us to understand how to be with the pain as we go on with life. 

 

Now Playing (Uncle Kraker - Smile)

You're better than the best

I'm lucky just to linger in your light

Cooler then the flip side of my pillow, that's right

Completely unaware

Nothing can compare to where you send me,

Lets me know that it's OK, yeah it's OK

And the moments where my good times start to fade

 

You make me smile like the sun

Fall out of bed, sing like a bird

Dizzy in my head, spin like a record

Crazy on a Sunday night

You make me dance like a fool

Forget how to breathe

Shine like gold, buzz like a bee

Just the thought of you can drive me wild

Oh, you make me smile

 


I removed my headphone from my ear and turned off the volume from my mic after I entered the song. I saw Yeri enter the studio with an indescribable expression. The PD was also staring at me with the same face.

I glanced at our PD. "Who chose this letter?"

"Me, who else?"

"You have the same name as the sender?"  Yeri inserted as she sat on the chair in front of me. 

"Did you know that it was me?" I asked our PD, ignoring Yeri.

He laughed at me. "Seulgi, you used your work email when you sent the letter."

"I did?!" I stood up from my chair.

He nodded, laughing. Yeri gasped in shock. I studied her expression and she smiled at me. I squinted my eyes on her.

"You knew about the letter," I said. Then Yeri laughs, not sounding guilty at all. "That's why you came here early," I added. I placed my hands on my face and leaned back on the chair.

"You were inserting words that are not in the script."

"Shut up Yeri, I am really annoyed right now. It was meant to be read in your program, DJ Katie. Why does it have to be my letter that I have to read in my own program?" I said in disbelief.

"Seulgi, in the first place, you should've hidden your identity properly. That is not PD-nim's fault, you idiot."

"But still...!"

"It's now too late to whine Kang. You finished the letter." our PD answered, stating the obvious

I sighed loudly. They're right, I think I was meant to read the letter after all. 

"So..." Yeri started as she props her elbow to the table and settled her head on her palm. "Does the names that you mentioned are your friends' true names?" she asked.

I shook my head. "Of course not. Why do you have to ask?"

"You used your real name, you idiot." She rolled her eyes. "How about Irene's? Her name is not really Irene?" 

"Yeah, her name is not Irene." I lousily answered.

She nodded. "Then have you seen each other since the day you went to New York?" she asked.

I stared at her for a second before I slowly shook my head. "Haven't seen her since then."

"But she's alive, right?" the PD asked.

Yeri rolled her eyes and turned to the PD. "Of course PD-nim. You weren't listening properly to her story."

"I'm just trying to confirm you know. The ending is a bit lacking."

I scoffed at my seat. "PD-nim there is nothing else to tell. We haven't met each other since I came back here. It's already been six months."

"What about from Joy and Wendy? They didn't say anything about Irene?" Yeri asked.

"They were updating me during Irene's therapy days. But after that, I didn't ask about her anymore. My friends kinda understood it and they didn't share anything about Irene anymore."

"How about now? You're still communicating?"

I nodded. "Yeah, we texted for a while."

 

I notice the radio's comments section online is moving really fast. I guess the listeners were also intrigued with the sender's name. I should have changed my name when I read the letter.

 

"The sender has the same name as our DJ."

"Is that it?"

"Did the sender came back?"

"DJ Kang, can you ask the sender about Irene?"

"DJ Kang, what is Joy's real name?"

"Does Joy have a crush on Wendy?"

 

"PD-nim, do you think I should reveal myself as the real sender?" I asked, my eyes are still in the reading comments.

"Seulgi, that decision is on you. You are the DJ and apparently, you are also the sender."

"If you'll ask me, I think this will be a good opportunity to know where your Irene is?" she said in a teasing manner.

My brows furrowed with her tone. "MY Irene?"

"Yes, YOUR Irene." 

I stared at her and I immediately knew this Yeri tactic. "You're doing it again, Yeri," I warned. 

"Doing what?" She answered laughing.

"You're always teasing me whenever you hear any woman's name that comes out in my mouth." 

"Oh, no, not every time. I only do that if I saw someone pretty. I'm helping you with your love life Seulgi." 

I groaned in annoyance. "You're being delusional. You haven't even met Irene--AND! you are not helping me with anything."

"Duh, you mentioned a few times in your story that Irene is pretty. It's not even in your written script. You have a crush on her?" she straightly asked.

I stopped reading the comments and turned to my co-worker who's smiling weirdly at me. PD-nim is also listening to us with the same look. Seriously, Where is this coming from?

"You're crazy," I said as I shook my head.

"Is that a yes or a no?" PD-nim joined the teasing.

"Stop talking to me. I'm On in 60 seconds." I said and wore my headphones back. The two continued laughing at my pissed face. 

The PD signaled me to get ready. 

 

ON AIR

"The story that we just heard was sent by the name Seulgi. Wow, we happened to have the same name." I glanced at Yeri who's sarcastically scoffing at me. I sent her a glare in return.

"While I was reading some of your comments earlier, some of you were asking about the names that were used in the story. Guys, the names mentioned are aliases, okay? Except for the sender's name tho. So, if you are planning to search them on social media, I'm afraid that you won't see anything that can fill up your curiousness."

"Anyhow, what are your takeaways to the story? You can leave them in the comments section found on our website or any of our social media accounts." I scrolled the long comments on the screen. "Here's a comment from ddeulgi, 'DJ Kang, sometimes strangers are the best people you can go to whenever you are feeling down. It's because they don't judge and all ears on anything you say.'  Yes, that's right, I agree with you."

"User hipokemon said, 'I wonder why Seulgi chose the name Irene for the story' I stared at the said comment that I unknowingly read.

Yeri tapped the table in front of me when I was about to space out. "All right... guys here's a quick trivia for you. Irene is the goddess of peace and the season of spring in Greek mythology. Well, maybe our sender Seulgi, found the peace in her heart when she met Irene." I explained calmly. Yeri was once again giving me that stupid smile.

I continued to read the comments. Some of them are questions that we're asking about me, which I would gladly answer if I am not a DJ. As I continue to scroll, my brows furrowed with a spammed emoji in the comments section. I signaled PD-nim that I am having a hard time to read so she removed some of the emojis in the section.

"Okay, here's another comment from user yerihan, 'DJ Kang, do you have a crush on Irene--'  You--" I immediately lowered my mic and threw the empty bottle in my hand to Yeri. She was laughing at me like crazy. "I'm gonna kill you," I muttered.

"I'm sorry, that comment suddenly disappeared. Here's another one, 'What about you DJ Kang, do you think Seulgi and Irene will meet again in the future?'

The comment that I read made me silent again for a second. I took a silent inhale and spoke. "Hmm, I think yes. I'm sure Seulgi will find a way to see Irene again." I said.

That was the sender Seulgi speaking and not DJ Kang. 

"All right guys, I guess that's it for today. It was a long night indeed. Any minute from now, it might start snowing, so grab your winter coats if you're planning to go outside. Again, this is DJ Kang. Have a great night!"

 

Now Playing (EXO - First Snow)

On this afternoon as the first snow is falling

If only I could call you, I’d be so happy

A year has already passed but I’m still not over you

So I talk to myself, “I’m lonely”

 

 

 

"Good job today, DJ Kang." PD greeted when he entered the inside studio.

"Thanks, PD-nim." I said then I stand up fixed the papers on the table. Yeri's replacing me 30 minutes from now.

"So, when are you going to see Irene?" Yeri asked.

I shrugged and stuck my tongue to her. "I am not supposed to tell you about the sender's private life."

She throws the water bottle that I threw earlier. "I am asking the sender Seulgi, not DJ Kang."

We exchanged seats, Yeri's now on the DJ chair. 

"Well, I don't think I can meet her without Joy and Wendy with me."

"You're a coward." 

I glanced at her with a judging face. "What? Do you want me to introduce myself like, 'Hey, I was the one who constantly visits you when you were comatose. We're friends by the way' You want me to tell her that and not having someone like Joy or Wendy who can justify it?"

Yeri seems to understand my point she just nodded. "You're right..."

"Tsk," I grabbed my things on the table. "I'm going home now before the snow falls. Bye." 

"Yeah, bye." Yeri waved at me, then I stood up and pushed the door. 

 

I was already on the ground floor of our building when my phone suddenly vibrated in my coat pocket. I instantly smiled when I saw the caller ID.

"Hey, What's up?" I answered.

"Are you done for the night?"

"Yeah, I'm out, why?" I said as I open the main door.

"Can you fetch me at the airport?"

I paused and stopped walking. "Seungwan-ah, you're not making fun of me, right?"

I heard my friend laugh. "Surprise?" 

I chuckled at her as I continued my way to the parking lot. "You're should have told me earlier. It will take 30 minutes to go there."

"It's fine, I can wait." 

"All right. Let's talk when I arrive there."

"Okay, thanks. Bye."

 

I excitedly ended the call and started my car. This is the third time that Seungwan surprised me with her sudden arrival here in Korea--and I am always surprised all the time. Well, I am the only one that can fetch her, since Sooyoung is already a chief resident in the same hospital in Busan. She's busy all the time.

While I was on the road, I suddenly remembered the situation that I was in while I was On Air. The names that I used for my friends were not random. I chose Wendy for Seungwan because she reminds me of that character in peter pan. Wendy likes telling stories and is very adventurous. That's my first impression when I met Seungwan. Joy on the other hand was somewhat random. I didn't have a specific reason but I chose it for Sooyoung since she used to always make me cheer up when we were younger.

And for Irene, the reason that I gave during the broadcast was the actual explanation. It was because she brought me peace. She also looks like a goddess in real life tho.

I stepped on the gas when the signal turned green. The navigation says that I am almost five minutes away from my destination.

When I arrived at the airport, I parked my car and read the text my friend sent me earlier. She was waiting at this cafe near the convenience store inside. I grabbed my coat into the back seat and fixed my hair.

I can already see the cafe when I entered the airport. I dialed Seungwan's number and she answered immediately. 

"Where are you?"

"You're here?"

I pushed the cafe door to open. "Yeah, I'm already inside the cafe." 

I wandered my eyes to the whole area, it is almost full of customers. 

Then I spotted someone very familiar.

My heart instantly pounded at the sight of the woman sitting near the glass window. I can only see her side profile, but I know it's Irene--or should I say, it's Joohyun.

I turn around, walked to the door, and stood outside the cafe. "Seungwan, where are you?" I asked nervously. My friend is still on the line. 

"Seul, did you see her?"

"I can't do this," I said. I know she set this whole thing up. 

She chuckled. "Don't worry, I broke my promise. Joy and I told her things about you." 

"Am I supposed to be relieved with that?"

"Yes, because you are not just a mere stranger to her."

"Seungwan--"

"Hey, why are you so nervous? It's not like you're going to confess or what. You're just gonna talk, Seulgi."

I sighed nervously. "Did she know that I'm coming?" 

"Yes." 

"Why do I feel like this is a blind date?" 

Seungwan laughed again. "It's not. But if you want to turn this simple meet-up into that, then go on." 

"Are you really at the airport?" 

"Of course, I'm just eating dinner somewhere. Oh! My order is here, gotta go bye!"

And before I can say something, my dear friend ended the call. I sighed heavily as I look back to the cafe.

With nervous steps, I went inside and slowly walked towards Joohyun's table. But it was empty. No Joohyun. 

The image of her mother in that Vending Machine suddenly crossed my mind. Why does every time I turn my back, they always disappear?

My brows furrowed as I stare at the empty chair. Did I miss her while I was talking to Seungwan outside? But there is only one door to the cafe. 

I was about to dial Seungwan again when someone tapped my shoulder, making me turn around in an instant. I quickly took a step back when I saw Joohyun in front of me. 

"Uhh, hi?" she greeted, with a polite smile. 

I blinked rapidly and stared at her. I don't think I can say anything. 

She flashed an amused smile at me. "Kang Seulgi, right?" she asked. 

I simply nodded. Then, Joohyun stretched her hand at me. "Bae Joohyun."

I hesitatingly accepted her hand. "I know." then I smiled shyly. "I know you're Joohyun--Seungwan's friend," I added. 

She softly chuckled and nodded. "Yeah, Seungwan's friend."

Her eyes remained looking at me as I plaster an awkward smile.

How do I usually talk? I suddenly can't remember. 

"Should we take a sit?" she offered, gesturing at the chair behind me.

I quickly moved to the side. "Sure, sure."

Once we were both settled, the atmosphere between us became awkward again. I remember this was what I felt during the time when I first talked to her in the ICU room. But this time, the Joohyun in front of me is completely awake.

"So, I heard you are a radio DJ?" Joohyun started, breaking the long silence. 

"Yes, I work at MBC." then she nodded. "How about you? What do you?" I asked. 

"Oh, I work on a bank." 

"Here in Incheon?"

She shook her head. "In Seoul."

"In Seoul?" I repeated.

"Uh-huh"

Does the city that big, that I haven't seen her once? What bank is she talking about? There's a bank right across from my workplace. Actually, there are a lot of banks around MBC. 

"Why are you looking me like that?" she asked.

I blinked my eyes. I was looking at her with a puzzled expression. 

I plastered a smile and said, "Nothing." 

She looks at me with suspicion but brushed off the thought with an "Okay... Do you want to order something to drink? Or to eat?" she asked glancing at the cashier. 

"Sure, I can order for us. What do you want?" I asked. 

"No, it's okay, let's go to the cashier together." she offered.

"No, it's fine. We can't go together, someone might take our table." I insisted. 

She seemed to get my point so she finally agreed. 

I left Joohyun at our table and lined up to the cashier. Now that I am few steps away from her, a sigh of relief and nervousness came out of my mouth. I can't even look at her in the eye for straight 5 seconds. I didn't know that she's this pretty up close.

"1 hot choco and 1 iced americano, please," I said to the cashier. I glanced at Joohyun on the side and my neck quickly snapped back to the front when I saw her looking at me. 

Joohyun, you are not supposed to look at me like that!

"Thank you," I said when they handed me my order. I went back to my chair and Joohyun smiled looking at the drinks in my hand. 

"Thanks, Seulgi," she said and wrapped her hands to the small cup of Hot Choco, warming her hands.

I scanned her outfit. Her clothes don't look warm. She's just wearing a formal loose blouse and white slacks. No coat or blazer. 

"Are you cold?" I blurted in concern. But she just shook her head. 

"Not really," she answered. 

Nah, you're definitely cold. 

I quickly removed my coat and before she can protest, I handed the clothing to her. "Here, wear it." 

She pushed back the coat in my hand. "No, no, no, it's fine, really." 

"Joohyun, just wear it. I'm fine, I'm not feeling cold." I said firmly.

She glanced at my hand in hesitation before she sighed and wore the coat. "Thank you," she said shyly. I smiled in return. 

Then for the second time tonight, we became silent again. I turned my attention to the window. Why is it not snowing yet? It's almost 7 pm. 

"You know, I listened to your broadcast earlier," Joohyun stated which made me turn to her. I am nervous again. Does she know that it was my story? It's impossible to be clueless, right?

"You did?" 

She nodded with a bright smile. 

"What do you think about the story?" I asked, wanting to see her reaction. 

"Hmm..." She placed her folded arms on the table and leaned forward. "I think Irene waited really long for her friend to come back," she said with a knowing smile.

I stared at her tilted my head. "I think Irene's friend was waiting for the right time to introduce herself again," I answered back. I'm speaking as DJ Kang right now.

Joohyun hummed, nodding her head. "Was she waiting for the right time or she doesn't have the courage to face Irene?"

I chuckled at her. She's raising her brows at me. "Why would she need that courage tho? They're friends."

"Exactly, they're friends and she did not even try to call or ask how she was doing."

Okay. That shut me up. I suppose that Sooyoung and Seungwan already told Joohyun about me a long time ago.

"I think... I think the sender was a coward." I said which made Irene surprised for a split second before returning to that teasing expression. 

"Yeah?" she responded, sounding like 'tell me more'

I look at her, thinking of the right words to say. "I'm gonna tell you the sender's secret and you can't spill it to anyone." 

"Uh-huh." 

I followed Joohyun's arm position on the table and seated straight. "I think she likes Irene." I blurted straight.

Did she get what I'm trying to say?

Joohyun didn't seem to be shocked. Her smile became wider. "DJ Kang, do you believe in love at first sight?"

"Hmm?"

Joohyun props her elbow on the table and rested her chin on her palm. She smiled at me. "Because If not, I am willing to walk by again... "

I instantly look away while I bit my lip to stifle a laugh. I heard her snort a laugh and turned to the window. "Yeah, that was lame."

I took a sip of my iced americano and faced her. "Joohyun," I called. 

She glanced at me. "Yes?" I purposely didn't answer and stared at her. She blinks her eyes and smiled. "What is it Seulgi?" she asked, starting to get conscious with me looking at her. "Hey, what is it?"

"You're so beautiful that you made me forget my pickup line."

 

 

And just like that, along with the snow falling outside the window, the both of us started to laugh our hearts out with our cheesy pickup lines.