Breathless

Dress You Up In My Love

Fabrics | Free Web Headers

 

 

"Yah, Kim Taehyung! I'm warning you: if you mess up this dress in any way, I swear to God even your adorable face won't save you from my fury."

The vocalist immediately stopped chewing and blinked, still processing what he had just heard. Maybe he had misunderstood—their sweet and bubbly stylist couldn't have said such harsh words.

Moving his half-eaten strawberry away from the mannequin, Taehyung turned to Yoongi with a frown. The latter shrugged, confirming his fear: Yerin was dead serious.

She flashed Taehyung her most beautiful smile, but he could see the flames in her pupils. He had never seen her truly angry and didn't want to start any time soon. He gulped with a worried look and went to hide himself behind a giggly Jimin.

"At least she said you had an adorable face," his friend mocked while patting Taehyung's back.

The night was going smoothly. After a few drinks and some wild halli galli games, the maknae line had asked for a home tour. They were currently in Yerin's study, a small room composed of a simple white desk covered with countless drawings, pens and pieces of fabric; several shelves with multicolored boxes filled with accessories; and two mannequins.

Hoseok's laugh echoed around the apartment and Yerin's lips instantly curved into a grin. The oldest members had stayed in the living-room, except for Yoongi, who was always eager to see "where the magic happens", as he said.

Yerin was a little uncomfortable with letting so many new people in her sacred place—it was messy and full of unfinished work—but as always, Yoongi's presence was like a soothing cream on her anxious heart.

"Does that mean you care about this dress more than me, Noona?" Taehyung asked with a pout, making her laugh.

"She designed it, that's why," Yoongi's calm voice answered for her.

She spun around and raised an eyebrow. How did he know? I only finished it last week... The rapper simply smirked, and she shook her head. Why was she even surprised?

"Seriously?" Jimin jumped up and down from excitement. "Wow, Noona, it's amazing! Does that mean you design all the clothes you wear?"

"Only some of them."

Without warning, Yerin felt Jungkook brush past her while he walked to her desk, sending shivers down her spine. He grabbed a few drawings and looked at them in silence for a minute before turning to her with a dazzling smile.

"Do you want to have your own clothing line one day?"

Once again, his piercing gaze rooted her to the spot, and she had to bite the inside of her cheek to come back down to earth.

"That's the dream, yes," she nodded.

With a sigh, Yerin stared absent-mindedly at the mannequin beside her. Quietly watching her from behind, Yoongi couldn't retain a smirk.

His childhood friend had talked about owning a clothing line for as long as he could remember. She had always known what she wanted to do in life and had done her best to get closer to her goal. Although he could see how glowing she was in her job, he also knew something was missing. He loved working with her, but he was certain she was meant for something more, and he would do anything to help her achieve her dream.

 

*

 

In the following weeks, Yoongi kept a secret eye on Yerin. After their discussion in her kitchen, he should have felt reassured, but it was quite the opposite. Even though she seemed to be doing okay, he couldn't help but worry. Something had changed—maybe for the better—but he couldn't put his finger on what it was.

On the other hand, some characteristic traits had remained exactly the same: her bright personality—like Hoseok's—along with her kindness, her stubbornness and her wit.

Not forgetting her infectious laugh, her beautiful green eyes and her soft lavender scent... If nothing had changed, then why did Jungkook seem to only notice all of that now? Was he the one who had changed, or was it something else? Whatever the reason, he felt like his brain was operating entirely on auto mode.

He started to note—and remember—random thing about her, things he didn't used to pay any attention to. Like the fact that she was left-handed. Or that she didn't drink coffee but loved its smell. Or that her favorite color was orange.

It's not like Jungkook could do much else than observe anyway: although Yerin worked often with them, close contact with her had been very limited over the past weeks. He wouldn't go as far as saying she was avoiding him on purpose, but she definitely wasn't acting the same with him as with the other members. The only question was why.

It was true Yerin had made sure to escape any extended conversation with Jungkook. The few times they did talk, she was happy to notice they had some sort of a tacit agreement not to mention what had happened on her first day back to work—whatever that was. She had chosen not to dwell too much on it. Her job was certainly demanding, but at least it kept her mind occupied.

So occupied that one morning, as Yerin was about to leave for work, she realized she was missing the one item she needed for that day's photoshoot with another BigHit band: a black and white customized cap of her own confection.

After a few seconds of intense panic, she remembered Yoongi had taken it on the night they had come over to her apartment, and she had forgotten to ask for it back.

"Hey, what's up?" his deep voice answered after a few seconds when she called his cellphone.

"Do you still have my black and white cap?"

"Uh, yeah. It must be somewhere in my room."

"I absolutely need it for today, can I come to the dorm like right now?"

"Sure. I think nobody's there, but we don't mind."

A few weeks ago, after discussing it with the other members, Yoongi had given her the door code to their apartment.

"It's probably in my closet. But don't snoop around too much, OK?"

"Great, thanks!" she giggled before hanging up.

She quickly grabbed her car keys and hurried to her car. After almost fifteen minutes of driving, she arrived in BTS's neighborhood. As discreetly as possible, she entered their building and took the elevator to their apartment.

When nobody answered her ringing at the door, she typed the code and walked in. She took off her shoes and went straight to Yoongi's room. She opened his closet and sighed at the sight of all his piled-up crumpled clothes. No sign of the cap at first glance: she was going to have to rummage through.

"Noona ?" a familiar voice called from behind.

Yerin jumped in surprise before turning around with a hand on her chest, desperately trying to pull herself together. Once she recovered from the shock, the information of what was in front of her started to sink in.

Standing in the door frame was Jungkook wearing only black shorts, drying his hair with a towel and looking at her with his usual doe eyes. Her gaze shifted to his well-defined torso and abs combined with his beautiful tattooed right arm.

She had never found someone so y in her life. God, looking like this should be illegal...

Realizing she was clearly staring, she turned her head and hid behind the closet door. Well done, Yerin, why don't you just open your mouth and drool while you're at it? Ashamed of her own behavior, she bit her lip and tried to maintain some composure.

"Yah, y-you scared the hell out of me. What are you doing here?"

"Uh, I live here," he chuckled. "What about you?"

Refusing to look back at him yet, Yerin started to search through Yoongi's clothes while attempting to calm her heart going crazy—and failing miserably.

"Yoongi took a black and white cap from me and I need it today for a photoshoot. He told me I could come get it directly."

She heard him take a few steps towards her and had to eventually turn around to stop him in his tracks. Behind his wet black locks, his penetrating stare was pure torture. She met his gaze and tried to keep her eyes from wandering anywhere else.

"He, uh, didn't mention anyone was home," she unintentionally stuttered. "I rang but nobody answered. Which makes sense since, uh, you were probably, uh, in the shower..."

Yerin sighed, inwardly cursing herself. Could she be any more pathetic?

"Anyway, sorry for bothering you. I promise I won't be long."

She smiled awkwardly and went back to exploring Yoongi's closet. Despite her effort, the cap was nowhere to be seen. The universe does enjoy playing with my nerves, doesn't it?

Amused, Jungkook tilted his head and smirked. He wanted to tell Yerin she didn't bother him, that he was happy to see her and would gladly help her search if she asked him. But when he finally decided to open his mouth, she caught him off-guard.

"I don't see the cap anywhere though. Do you by any chance know where he put it?"

"Uh, yeah, I think I saw it over there last time..."

The maknae threw his towel over his shoulder and walked closer to the stylist, extending his arm past her to rummage through Yoongi's stuff in turn.

He had moved so fast that Yerin had no time to mentally prepare herself. He was suddenly very close to her: she could see every detail of his collarbone and even smell his shower gel. Are you trying to kill me, you evil brat?

Apparently oblivious to their proximity, Jungkook continued searching, completely focused on his new task. Yerin couldn't take it any longer: she had to move and quickly. After a few seconds that felt like an eternity, she eventually managed to slip away then cleared .

"Yah, c-can't you put something on first?"

Jungkook froze then stepped back with a frown. He scanned her face and noticed she was looking down, carefully avoiding his eyes. Was it just him or was she... blushing?

He chuckled lightly to hide his confusion. Her reaction was new to him—like she was embarrassed. If he hadn't known any better, he could have almost felt offended.

"Noona, what's wrong? You're our stylist, you've seen me shirtless dozens of times."

Maybe, but you weren't looking like a freaking demigod back then... Hearing him say it out loud wasn't helping either—like it was the most normal thing in the world. And it should be: it was her job. Certainly not a particularly sane job—seeing seven of the most handsome men on earth shirtless on a regular basis—but she couldn't get flustered by such trivial things. And she usually didn't, she was a professional. Only Jungkook seemed to make all her certainty waver ever since she had come back.

What was she, a 16-year-old with raging hormones? Sure, she hadn't dated in a while, but it was ridiculous. She was a mature grown-up, and she was better than this—better than that unreliable brain of hers.

"It's not the same."

She cursed between her teeth. Why couldn't she for once mind her words before opening her stupid mouth? It should be the same, she shouldn't treat him any differently.

Yering turned her back to the maknae and started looking around Yoongi's desk, as if keeping her hands busy would somehow make the situation less awkward.

"Why not?"

Do you enjoy testing me that much, Jeon Jungkook? She stopped herself from shotting him a black look. Why was he so insistent? She sighed and tried to think quickly of a good answer that wouldn't sound too suspicious.

"Because we're not at work."

Although Jungkook was doing her best to distract her, she didn't forget the reason she had come here in the first place and desperately kept looking for the cap.

The maknae watched her move around, but she still wouldn't look at him. His pride was stung, and he decided to have a little fun.

"Well, it's not like we're strangers either."

He gently grabbed her wrist to make her turn and face him. She looked up at him and her breath got caught in . His lips slowly turned into a scornful smile: his provocation had worked.

"Or is there something else going on?" he asked with a velvet voice.

He had been wondering that for a while now. Why was she acting so strange around him all of a sudden? He was sure she wasn't so uncomfortable with any of the other members.

Jungkook moved closer and cornered her against Yoongi's desk, planting his eyes in hers without letting go of her wrist. He felt her tense up and his heart jumped. Despite himself, he enjoyed the effect he seemed to have on her. Because it meant she didn't see him as a kid anymore—and it proved he wasn't crazy: there was definitely something going on.

Yerin started to feel the same rush of blood that on her first day back to work. Her cheeks were burning up, and she was certain he could hear her heart pounding against her chest. What was wrong with her? Why are you doing this to me, Jeon Jungkook?

She couldn't yield, she had to take back control of herself. Don't give in, Han Yerin, you're stronger than this. She had to get out of there before completely losing her mind.

The universe finally took pity on her: her eyes landed on the familiar cap under Yoongi's bed, and she screamed.

"Found it!" Yerin pointed at the spot, visibly relieved.

Jungkook jumped in surprise and loosen his grasp on her wrist. She freed herself completely then put a hand on his chest to push him aside, bending down to grab the much-wanted cap.

"See you soon," she faintly said then stood back up.

Before Jungkook could catch her, Yerin stormed out of the room without even looking at him and left the dorm as fast as she could.

 


 

Time with you is standing still
[...] The slightest touch and I feel weak
I cannot lie
From you I cannot hide
And I'm losing the will to try
Can't hide it
Can't fight it
So go on, go on
Come on, leave me breathless
Tempt me, tease me

The Corrs, "Breathless"