At the mall

At Home

 

“Look, ice cream!”

Donghae took his boyfriend's hand and quickly led him to one of the mall’s ice cream stands. They had been walking for a while now and the day was quite hot.

Hyukjae looked around, hoping that no one would look at them weird for running. 

The stand was quite far away. Fortunately there was no one in line, and Donghae approached the cashier.

“Hi.”

“Hello, what would you like to order?”

“One vanilla ice cream and one chocolate ice cream, please. Oh! Do you have colored sprinkles and stuff?” 

“Of course! I’ll make sure to add some.”

“Cool.” Donghae showed his cute, charming smile to the cashier and she stayed a couple more seconds than normal smiling back before she went to scoop the ice cream.

Hyukjae almost rolled his eyes. He imagined himself in the same situation, a cute man smiling at him like that. He would probably do something ten times more embarrassing so he understood the feeling.

“Here,” said Donghae.

“Mh? Oh, thanks.” Hyukjae got his vanilla ice cream with sprinkles and they went to sit on a bench. “We have to go to the shoe store, I need new sneakers,.”

Donghae nodded.

“Oh, and since we're here, we could go watch a movie, don't you think?”  Hyukjae looked at the younger man and noticed that he had ice cream on both corners of his mouth. Donghae was looking at him expectantly, his eyes curious and a bit confused and Hyukjae couldn't help but laugh. “What?”

Hyukjae snorted as he spoke. “You have ice cream all over your mouth.”

He took a napkin and swiped it across his lips. This time, Donghae looked around. He blushed.

“We're in public, you idiot...”

“Oh, right. Hey, you held my hand a minute ago, though!”

“Did I?”

“Yeah!” 

Donghae looked up trying to remember and his mouth turned into an "o" when he did.

“You’re right.” He opened his eyes wide. “I didn't even notice, I’m sorry.”

Hyukjae lifted his shoulders.

“It's okay.” Donghae tilted his head slightly. 

When they first started dating, Hyukjae was quite strict about displays of affection. Now he was noticeably more relaxed, it was a little endearing.

“So you wanna go to the movies?”

“Oh, yeah, sure. Sounds like fun.” He his ice cream. 

“Cool.” Donghae smiled at him, content, and Hyukjae nodded slowly.

“So this is how she felt,” he muttered.

“Hm?”

“Nothing, I was thinking out loud.”