Chapter Four: Mysterious Princess

The Majestic Grace

CHAPTER 4: MYSTERIOUS PRINCESS

 

 

The next day on Christmas Eve, The Royal boarded their private plane as early as they could.  Yeonhee had invited Deputy Prime Minister (DPM) to be on board together, which the elderly man gladly accepted and was happy that he got to be on duty with the nation’s famous royal princess.

11 years ago, on 30th October in the year 2006, Yeonhee was made a princess due to the will of the nation’s late monarch.  Through the Legal Adviser of the Royal Secretarial Office, the will stated that Queen Anne had wished to give back the “Princess” title to where it’s belonged to, Jeong Jaein’s daughter, Kim Yeonhee.  The elderly man had read the will to the royal family two weeks after the queen’s passing and it was indeed a very shocking wish for Queen Jiae.  Little Yeonhee who was only 10 years old could only scoot away cowardly and shiver in fear of Queen Mother’s terrifying glare.  But however furious and irritable Queen Jiae was with her daughter, Jeong Yein’s testament, she knew it was better off to accept the reality rather than acted against it.  The crowned ceremony was decided and done two months later in the Holy Church of Wallgeum, Hwang Grace Church.

Princess Diana Jeong Dahyun, 15 years of her life, was never revealed to the public since she was born.  Yein had ensured that no press could visibly get a glimpse of the royal crown princess and until present, nobody knew what the crown princess had actually looked like.

Since the family was so secretive, there were some rumours said that the royal crown princess might be born faulty or with any kind of disability, and worse of it was the princess was born monster-ugly that would not be too appealing for the public.  The companies and individuals who released and made such comments about the crown princess were shut down and sued under false allegations by the royal family.  Since then, nobody dared to make assumptions regarding the mysterious princess anymore spinelessly.

Yeonhee who had sworn to protect Dahyun at all cost since the crown princess was still a newborn, had successfully kept her word and fulfilling the late queen’s firm wish.  She was very good at what she was doing that even Queen Jiae approved of her ability, which irked the current interim queen more.  Yeonhee would rather be flooded with reporters poked into her business here and there herself no matter how much she disliked being under the spotlight, than to have the youngest heir of the throne being pressured by the irritating shutters and flashlights.

Dahyun had swiftly boarded the plane without being discovered.  With Suyun’s assistance, every errand had been running smoothly.  Yeonhee had made her tall friend came all the way from her hometown to help up early in the morning.  Unfortunately for Dahyun, the tall woman wasn’t able to come along as she would be celebrating Christmas with her family.

It was no secret to Yeonhee that the crown princess had a major crush on her best friend.  Truth was, even Suyun was aware of how Dahyun had looked at her.  But each of them was both professional and rational enough around each other without creating unnecessary conflicts nor dramas between them.

As the plane set off for Japan, Suyun was driven back to her hometown.

DPM Kang was no stranger to the crown princess.  They had met almost every year whenever the palace held a private party.  The man with crooked nose and wayfare-glasses was handsome and kind.  She preferred him as a company anytime more than the current fat and nasty-temper Prime Minister.  The three of them Yeonhee included, killed the time chatting over their nation’s affairs while playing chess, two (Yeonhee - Dahyun) against one (DPM Kang).  The older man also was explaining what they would be doing and how things should be done when they were in the foreign country.

When they finally landed at Haneda, Tokyo International Airport’s arrival ground, there was a large crowd waiting for them lined up before the plane.  Dahyun suddenly grew scared as it was her first time to be faced with public, but Yeonhee’s warm hand on hers gave her the assurance she needed.

“You’re not getting off now.  I’ll make sure the crowd disappears before you’ll do.”  Dahyun nodded at her words of instruction and the crown princess was left with her late mother’s former private secretary, Lee Daeyeol in the plane as Yeonhee and Mr. Kang got off with the other bodyguards and secretaries in tow.

Reporters were busy clicking shutters as soon as the two reps from Wallgeum appeared on the top of airstairs.  Yeonhee and Mr. Kang waved to the press who came as they took pictures of them.  They descended the steps and bowed and shook hands with the Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affair of Japan. 

“Your Highness and Mr. Deputy Prime Minister, it is a huge pleasure to meet you, at last!” the Prime Minister, Mr. Takahashi said in his mother language followed by a translation by his staff member.  He was a short, skinny elderly man.  He had a big, white-toothy smile on his face and Yeonhee could tell he wasn’t lying.

“Mr. Takahashi, thank you for having us,” Mr. Kang said with his handsome smile.

The middle age man leaned in with a slow whisper.  “Heard that the crown princess has come along too.  We will get rid of these reporters immediately so she can come down soon too.  I’m excited and feel most honored to be the first outside minister to meet her.”

Mr. Kang glanced at the royal highness and shrugged.  Yeonhee however differed slyly.  “My apology, sir.  The crown princess has been feeling a little ill as it’s her first time travelling outside the palace.  We definitely have to go on without her.” 

The Prime Minister of Japan sighed with a smile of disappointment while Mr. Kang subtly grinned in satisfaction.  “We have no alternative choice then.”

They walked in and out of the airport with Mr. Takahashi and Mr. Kang led in the front.  Yeonhee followed slowly behind them with the other minister slightly close pinned next to her.  “I’ve seen you a lot in the news, but you’re definitely prettier in person.”

The royal princess offered a flat kind smile and said her gratitude.  “Thank you, sir.”

They were brought to a private traditional guesthouse belonged to the imperial family of Japan.  Crown Princess Diana however was secretly taken in to a different guesthouse room as Yeonhee had arranged it.  No one had a clue about her existence except for the few people that she had entrusted the crown princess with.

Yeonhee was introduced to almost the whole line of the imperial family, but she was especially seemed to get along well with the emperor’s third daughter and her wife, Princess Yokoyama Haruka and Yokoyama Yui.  They were a few years older than Yeonhee was, with the husband’s age only a year away from hitting 30.  It was fun to sit and have dinner on the night of Christmas Eve with them, but she also couldn’t help worrying about the fate of her younger cousin who was alone in the other room on supposedly one of the most festive nights.

The Yokoyamas told her not to worry as Yeonhee had told them about Dahyun.  To help her felt at ease and more assured, they had sent someone that could make Dahyun’s night better than to be alone.  In exchange for their kindness, Yeonhee agreed to have breakfast at the Yokoyamas’ place the day after tomorrow.

 

 

The Christmas Eve at Wing Fifth of O-Wul Avenue was as merry as ever.  The Kims family had gathered for dinner again as always like previous years.  When Uncle Yul and Aunt Tiff showed up at the doorstep of Grandpa Andy’s house, Sohee was the one to open and greet them firstly.  The elderly couple hugged Aunt Tiff’s niece with affection and additional kisses on the cheeks from Aunt Tiff and ruffle of hair from Uncle Yul.  “Have my daughters arrived yet?” asked Aunt Tiff with smiley face.

“We’re in here, mum!”  They heard doubled voices from inside, coming from Irene, the eldest granddaughter and Eunbi, second eldest.

“You bring nobody this year, Eunbi?” said Uncle Yul with a raise of his thick eyebrow.  “I thought you said Hyewon was an orphan, should she have anybody else to celebrate Christmas with?”

His daughter was seen rolling her eyes while greeting her parents with annoyed scowl.  “We broke up earlier this year.  Seems like she’ll spend Christmas with her new girlfriend.”

Grandpa Andy came back from the kitchen with Grandma Sunny behind him and chuckled.  “Reckon my granddaughter is tired of answering the same question all over again, I brought chocolate cheese tarts.” 

Eunbi was back to smiling widely and snuggled at Grandpa Andy like a spoiled young girl.  “I love you Grandpa, 1 million-times more than Dad.”

It was Uncle Yul’s turn to roll his eyes.  “I love Irene 1 million-times more than you too.”

Aunt Tiff shook her head at these childish antics of her husband and daughter.  Irene too, copied her mother’s action and proceeded to sit at the dining table after greeting her parents.

“Sometimes I wonder why I haven’t switched you two with Kei’s daughters and their father,” said Aunt Tiff, followed by sniggers from Irene and the Kim sisters, sulky glares from the Kwon father and daughter.  “Oh yeah, where’s your father Suyun?  I haven’t seen him since we came in.”

“Dad is upstairs.  He just came from work and was getiing chang– oh, that’s him!”

Kim Wonpil, the single-father of the Kim sisters just descended from the broad winder staircase.  He smiled at the newly arrived guests and greeted them politely.  The family, now completed at the dining table after making fusses here and there, said their grace before began digging in.

“I guess Chaewon skips Christmas this year too,” said Aunt Tiff about Kim’s eldest daughter, the Prima Donna wannabe, Kim Chaewon.  She hadn’t seen the young opera singer last year, and was disappointed when she couldn’t see her face this year too.

“Oh, she just couldn’t make it on time because of her schedule and late flight.  But I’ll tell her to visit you when she arrives tomorrow morning,” said Wonpil, which Aunt Tiff replied with a grateful smile.

Grandpa Kim Andy grew up in an orphanage in the United States and met Grandma Sunny when she was a student in Standford University.  They had their first daughter Tiffany (Aunt Tiff) in California, then returned to Grandma Sunny’s hometown at O-Wul, Wallgeum and registered their marriage.  Aunt Tiffany’s younger sister, Keirena (Kei) was born eight years later in this very house, the Wing Fifth of O-Wul Avenue

The sisters had similar significant charming eye-smiles like Grandma Sunny, which down to the youngest granddaughter of the household, Sohee, something she was gifted with and not her sisters nor her cousins.  Kei, petite and cute speaking voice, like her first daughter Chaewon, was a famous opera soprano singer.  Wonpil, her husband, at some point was her piano accompanist before retiring and resorted to be a businessman with a musical instrument store.  The mother of three children died in 2004 when Sohee was only two years old.

Aunt Tiff was bigger and had a distinct husky voice.  Unlike Kei who was always kind and spoke politely, she was savage and feisty.   She was a chemist and worked as a Chemistry teacher at Sohee’s current study place, Baekjin Art School.  Aunt Tiff was married to her first husband, Bae Nichkhun and divorced the same year Irene was born in 1989.

Uncle Yul was a tall, broad-shouldered and handsome tanned man.  He was a divorce attorney and met Irene’s mother as the latter separated from her husband.  They fell in love, got married in October 1990 and had Eunbi 11 months later.  Eunbi resembled him in many ways and his childish behaviours was one of them.

The Christmas Eve feast had always been one of the happiest moments in Sohee’s life.  Family gathering, delicious foods on the table and happy sets of laughter all across the room.  But Sohee also couldn’t help gazed sideway as if worried at her father whom was quiet and only laughed in every of his response to talks and jokes from Uncle Yul and Aunt Tiff.  She wondered if he was lonely.  She wanted to know if Wonpil missed Kei, his deceased wife, her dead mother.

Because Sohee really craved to have her mother included at this happiest moment of her life.

 

 

Dahyun didn’t dare to open the wooden sliding door.  She was absolutely intrigued to make a trip around the huge traditional guesthouses and wanted to enjoy the walk while staring at the night’s dark grayish blue sky.  But she couldn’t.  She didn’t wish to spoil this business trip by getting herself exposed to strangers.  Because she knew at any point, a reporter might be stalking around the two empires’ leaders during the dinner to make exclusive coverage.  She couldn’t risk getting caught when she had come so far.

But Dahyun was also getting a bit lonely.  And hungry too.

She was seated on the floor and had her cheek rested on the low wooden table while randomly doodling on her favourite sketchbook.  Sometimes those doodlings could turn into aspiring quotes or poetic stories.  Yeonhee had read her writings and encouraged her to publish them into a book.  Dahyun had a writing talent of an adult though she’s not attending schools like a normal kid.  The two books she released – “ARCHERY GIRLS” and “THE NAMELESS” (she thought of Yeonhee and Suyun when writing the first book and of her parents for the second) sold well and Dahyun didn’t regret that she took Yeonhee’s advice seriously.

She thought she would die bored but the knocks on the door and the sound of it sliding opened gave her hope as she jerked her head up.  Dahyun thought it would be either Yeonhee or at least Daeyeol but the figure was neither of them.  The figure was tall like Daeyeol, but unlike the stiff Mr. Lee the secretary, the unknown was a girl with a bright smile that gave a strong surge of positivity.

“Hi!  I heard from the adults you were here and was told to keep you company.  It must be really boring and lonely for you to spend Christmas Eve alone like this.”  The tall girl came closer and Dahyun was taken aback on her seat.

“Excuse me, but who are you?” she asked politely, did her best to not show her shaken nerve.

“My name is Elizabeth Jang Wonyoung.  My aunt and uncle are friendly with your cousin.  The adults are having dinner in a separate room when my aunt’s secretary told me that she needed me to have dinner here with you instead,” the girl said.  She joined Dahyun on the low table and sat opposite her. 

“So, are you really the mysterious crown princess of Wallgeum?  Can’t believe I would exclusively be the first person who gets to meet Her Royal Highness like this!” she beamed happily.  Dahyun couldn’t help but feel glad too.  “Never knew your name though.”

“Oh,” Dahyun remembered and shook hand with the girl.   “I’m Dahyun, and you were correct.  I am the crown princess, but that’s supposed to be a secret.”

“Don’t worry about that, I won’t tell anyone and will keep my mouth zipped about it,” said Wonyoung.  “My mum is Japanese, actually the step-daughter of the emperor.  My father was born in Wallgeum, but he moved here when he was young and worked as an officer in Ministry of Justice,” she went on.

The food came through the door.  Wonyoung went to fetch up the trays fancied with various of foods as the servants weren’t allowed to come in as ordered and set them on the table.  Too hungry to wait any longer, Dahyun gawked and immediately picked up her chopstick, clipping a slice of raw fish before dipping it into a sauce and popped it into .  Wonyoung copied her actions but with the rolled rice and egg on top.

“How come you have an English name and not Japanese?” Dahyun asked.

“Oh, that’s because my parents moved to UK after they married.  I was born there, you see.  My dad said he named me Elizabeth as in the queen of England.”

Dahyun chuckled as she scooped a half-mouthful of rice.  “Funny, my mother named me after the queen’s late daughter in-law, Diana.  My full name is Diana Jeong Dahyun.”

“Woah, that’s a pretty good name!” exclaimed Wonyoung, beaming in fascination.

The two girls who began as strangers, started opening up to each other without much doubt nor suspicion.  Dahyun told Wonyoung about how she had been getting home-schooled and learned everything that should be educated at school from home.  Wonyoung wondered if the home lessons really worked, but Dahyun seemed intelligent enough that made her convinced.

“I had been writing books too, you know?  My tutor saw my works and she had no doubt of my writing skills,” said Dahyun.

“Really?” asked Wonyoung.  “What books?  I’d love to look them up and read them if I could.”

“They’re called Archery Girls and The Nameless.  I can send them to you when I get back,” said Dahyun.

“No way!”  Wonyoung’s eyes grew wider.  “You’re the one who wrote Archery Girls?  Girl, you don’t need to send them. I’m the one who needs your exclusive signature!”

Confused, Dahyun blinked several times.  “You knew about it too?”

“I have a friend in Wallgeum posting it for me.  Got as a Christmas present last year, and I bought the later one when it was published this year,” said Wonyoung.

Beaming happily, Dahyun said, “It’s an honour. I’m glad you liked them.”

“More than just like actually. My friend and I talked about Archery Girls more than we could count. We wish the two main girls could get together and kiss or something. There was obviously a between them.”

Dahyun tried to picture the images of Yeonhee and Suyun doing what Wonyoung said but immediately shook it off. She suddenly felt cringed just imagining Yeonhee and Suyun together and silently had to disagree with Wonyoung. But then, readers and the author could have different opinion.

They finished the foods and moved on to Dahyun’s collection of artworks on her drawing books.  While they were going through the crown princess’s stuffs, she asked more about Wonyoung’s family, how was life in UK and what happened to his father’s career after they moved abroad.  Wonyoung said her father didn’t struggle much since he had the cable.  He easily landed himself a promising job in the Ministry of Justice.  Mr. Jang had been working there for nearly 17 years.

“Ironically, I suddenly remembered him mentioning something about working on a project with the late Queen Anne from Wallgeum.  I saw him reading a biography book about the late Her Majesty and that’s when he said it when I asked him,” said Wonyoung.

“My mother?  Your father and my mother used to work together?” said Dahyun in a surprised tone.

“Think so, but I don’t recall he said what it was about.  I’ll ask him again and will talk to you later,” she went.  “Anyway, he also said it’s about time he steps down from his current position and return to his first hometown.  We will move to Wallgeum soon and I’ll transfer school to Baekjin Art High School for the next school term.  We already arranged everything.  I wish you could attend the same school though.”

“Baekjin?” Dahyun wondered.  “Isn’t it a school for the military forces though?”

Wonyoung chuckled and showed the clueless crown princess a brochure she got from her father.  “You’ve got to believe me, they have more than just the ‘a military school’!”

Dahyun scanned the front and went through every page of the B5-sized mint-coloured brochure.  Her eyes narrowed, as though she was thinking of something deep.  Wonyoung hoped it was a good sign.