gray sky

colors and a smiling moon

unbeta-ed. sorry for any mistakes.


 

Nayeon’s sitting beside the hospital bed where her grandma is peacefully sleeping. It was the total opposite just less than an hour ago.

 

Nayeon was making tea for her grandma when she heard a thud from the bathroom. She saw her grandma on the floor, her hands on her chest, breathing heavily.

 

“Grandma!” Nayeon screams and starts panicking. She kneels down and holds her as she calls out for her parents. Several minutes later, they’re at the hospital and several more minutes, Mina’s there by her side.

 

A couple of days later, Nayeon’s grandma died. She was Nayeon’s only grandparent left and she was her favorite. She took care of Nayeon when she was young while her parents were busy as they started a restaurant business. She was Nayeon’s best friend.

 

//

 

“Will you be fine?” Mina asks Nayeon when she hears that the latter will be riding with some of their relatives in a different car, heading to the funeral service. Mina will be driving Nayeon’s parents there.

 

“Yes, I’ll be fine.” Nayeon forces a smile before kissing Mina. “Be safe, okay?”

 

“Yes, I promise.” Mina smiles back.

 

Mina’s driving in front of the car where Nayeon is. It’s snowing, so she’s driving carefully at a reduced speed.

 

Suddenly, there was a sound of tires screeching and Nayeon looks at the road and sees a car crashing towards Mina’s. The latter tried to avoid the other car by going to the side, almost crashing into the traffic light in an intersection road. But then, a rushing car crashes on the back of Mina’s car where her fiance’s parents were seated.

 

//

 

“Babe, what time do you wanna fly out this weekend?”

 

“Fly to where?”

 

“Japan. We’re going there to celebrate the Lunar New Year with my family, remember?”

 

“Mina, please. I don’t want to celebrate anything, okay? Don’t you understand that I’m grieving?”

 

“Yeah, but i just thought it’d help you forget–”

 

“You want me to forget about my parents and my grandma?!”

 

“Baby, I'm sorry.” Mina goes to cradle her head. “You know that’s not what I meant.”

 

“Like how you didn’t mean what you promised that day, that you’ll drive safe.” These words broke Mina’s heart.

 

“Why are you blaming me for this?” Mina pulls away and faces her fiance. “There was a drunk driving toward us and I tried to save us but–”

 

“But you didn’t.”

 

“For the second time, Nayeon, I couldn’t! “Mina grumbles. “I tried my best!” She continues as her tears roll down her face. She sighs, moving away from her fiance. She softens her tone and says, “Okay, I won't force you if you don’t want to go. We’ll just stay here.”

 

“No. Just go.” Nayeon says sternly. “If you don’t go, it’ll just make me guilty. I don’t wanna be the reason that you can’t be with your family and relatives in Japan.”

 

“Okay.” Mina wipes her tears. “I’ll sleep in the guest room.” She says softly before walking out of her fiance’s room.


 

------------------------------------------------

 

Nayeon is careful at making promises and when she does, she makes sure she can keep them. She meant it when she kneeled down and gave Mina the promise of forever. She never failed at keeping her promises until now.

Nayeon’s partying with her friends at a house beach. They got too drunk and Nayeon ended up having with Jeongyeon. Nayeon’s too drunk to remember that she has a fiance and too drunk to realize that she's breaking her promise.

 

“Im Nayeon… will you be with me forever?”

 

“Yes.”

 

Nayeon wakes up with her pillow soaked in tears. She just dreamt of the night she and Mina proposed to each other. She looks to the other side of the bed and sees her friend sleeping . She curses herself as she remembers details from last night.

 

“What did I do? What did I do? What did I do?” Nayeon asks herself repeatedly, as she moves her hands over her face.

 

//

 

On the night that Mina arrived back from Japan, Nayeon told her about what happened between her and Jeongyeon.

 

Upon hearing the words, Mina just sat on the couch in silence. She wants to leave but she couldn’t move. Nayeon kneels down and wraps her arms around her fiance’s waist. Her face is soaked with tears.

 

“I’m so sorry, Mina. I was missing my parents and I was lonely and so drunk. I didn’t know what I was doing.” She hugs her tighter. “Please forgive me.”

 

“Lonely?” Mina couldn’t contain her tears anymore. “You said you didn’t want to come with me, so I left alone because that’s what you wanted. And you were with your friends! You’re supposed to get comfort from your friends not get ed when you’re grieving.”

 

Nayeon feels insulted by Mina’s words but she deserves it.

 

“Please, babe, I’m sorry. I love you. Don’t leave me.” Nayeon cries hysterically, begging for a second chance.

 

“How do you expect me to forgive you when you didn’t even forgive me for something I didn’t do?”

 

“Mina, I’m sorry for blaming you and I’m sorry for cheating on you. It won’t happen again, I promise. I’ll be a better person from now on. I love you.”

“It won’t happen again ‘cause we’re done.” Mina stands up but Nayeon also stands up, still clinging onto her, begging her to stay.

 

Mina grits her teeth as she pushes Nayeon away and slaps her so hard that Nayeon’s ear starts ringing. The latter feels another hard slap on the other side of her face. She almost couldn’t hear anything. Her knees gave in and falls to the floor as she watches the person she should have loved better leave her house.

 

The End.


i finally updated (and finished) this story! i apologise for the long wait and i’m sorry for ending it this way. i thought so hard for so long on how I should end this story. I came up with a few ideas but I chose this one because it's different and unpredictable, although i thought that the readers might like the initial plans better.

i didn't want to add more, so it’s up to your imagination if they got back together and ended up marrying each other or not. please let me know what you think in the comments and happy valentines day :)