pre-prenup: the breakup

colors and a smiling moon

A/N: If you still remember what happened in the previous chapters, just pretend that  their breakup mentioned in chapter 1 was bad and that everything that takes place in this chapter correlates with the previous ones hehe. yeah im so sorry 😅
and always, i apologize for any mistakes.


 

Mina just goes with whatever Nayeon wants.

 

Nayeon calls a restaurant to order pizza and fried chicken for dinner. After 20 minutes, her doorbell rings.

 

“Oh? Food’s here already? That was fast.” She talks to herself. She walks toward the door and opens it. As soon as her eyes landed on the person who rang the doorbell, her jaws dropped and her eyes widened. 

 

“Surprise!”

 

“Mi-Mina. Why are yo--. How are you here? I thought you can’t--”

 

Mina steps inside and giggles. “Yep. I didn’t take mid-year classes.”

 

“Why?”

 

“I lied. I don’t have required classes this summer.”

 

“Awesome.” Nayeon smiles. She’s relieved that her girlfriend didn’t do anything that’s not good for her schooling just to visit her in Korea.

 

“Come here.” Mina opens her arms, beckoning her girlfriend to hug her.

 

Nayeon hugs her, taking a deep breath of the surrealness of what’s in front of her. “Wow. You’re really here. I missed you so much.”

 

Mina loosens her hug a bit so that she can face her girlfriend. “I missed you, too.” She gives her a kiss that is intended to be a short one but Nayeon brought her hand behind her head and pulled her closer to kiss her longer.

 

After a while, Nayeon takes her girlfriend’s suitcase in and allows the latter to change to more comfortable clothes. The doorbell rings again and it’s what she had been anticipating.

 

“I’m glad you ordered enough for two.”

 

Nayeon chuckles. “Yeah. I usually order this much at night so that I can have some leftovers for breakfast the next day.”

 

“You’re, like, still living the college dorm life.” Mina kisses her girlfriend on the cheek before taking a seat across the latter.

 

“Like what they say, old habits die hard.”

 

“Or they don’t die at all.” Mina wiggles her eyebrows which makes Nayeon’s jaw drop again.

 

“No way!” Nayeon says as she watches her girlfriend pull something out from the paperbag she’s holding. “I don’t even know what it is but, no way!” She laughs.

 

“Yes way, baby!” Mina waves a pack of Japanese snacks that the couple used to eat a lot in their dorm when they were in college.

 

“Oh” Nayeon groans. “I missed these! The last time I had them was like during our finals before graduation.” She fakes sobs. “I feel bad that I forgot about these babies. I don’t see them anywhere here in Korea.”

 

Mina smiles watching her girlfriend open the pack like a child does when opening gifts in the Christmas morning.

 

Nayeon takes a piece and at first bite, she closes her eyes, cherishing the nostalgic taste. “Mmm. It’s so good.” She looks at her girlfriend. “Thanks for this, babe.”

 

“You’re welcome. Anything for you.” Mina giggles. “Oh, by the way, my parents rented an apartment for my stay here.”

 

They wanted to keep things in their relationship exciting so they don’t live together or stay in the same place, except if one is just gonna stay for a few days. 

 

“Oh, okay.” Nayeon nods. “When do you have to go back?”

 

“Hmm, I have to go back in two and a half months. Would it be okay if I bother you at work everyday?” Mina says in aegyo.

 

“Duh~ Of course! I’ll pick you up everyday. I’ll be your chauffeur. I’ll chauffeur you every night, too, if you want.” Nayeon winks at her.

 

“Gosh, you’re so dirty.” Mina giggles.

 

“Hey, making love is not dirty.” Nayeon reprimands her.

 

“‘Cause the way you said it sounded so dirty.” Mina laughs.

 

//

 

A week passes. Nayeon drives to Mina’s rented apartment every morning to pick her up. It’s Mina’s first time seeing Nayeon this busy. She’s matured so much after taking the general managerial position in her parents’ business. She’s even surprised that her girlfriend is not failing in any of her courses in university, too, considering all the responsibilities she has on her plate.

 

They feel the night summer breeze from Mina’s apartment. It’s finally Friday. Nayeon gets the weekend off whenever her job allows her to and stays at Mina’s place during her rest days because “it’s more comforting” there as Nayeon reasoned. It takes away her mind from thinking about work.

 

They’re sitting beside each other on the balcony outside Mina’s bedroom, sipping wine.

 

“I don’t think I can keep on doing this if I stay in uni.”

 

“Can’t you, like, work part-time instead during school days and work full-time during school breaks?”

 

“I can but I don’t wanna disappoint the people who are working harder than me.”

 

Mina reaches to hold her hand. Nayeon feels her squeeze her hand and it’s one of the most comforting feelings she’s had for the past few weeks.

 

“I’m so thankful that you’re here to calm me down.”

 

“I’m glad I could make you feel that way.” Mina responds.

 

//

 

Mina’s summer break flew by fast… too fast. It wasn’t enough. It’s like the weight of how much they missed each other during the past year hasn’t faded yet but now, here they are at the airport again, giving their goodbye hugs and kisses before Mina has to the designated terminal for her flight back to London.

 

They’re in a tight hug. This is the second time that they wished that time would pause or slow down. Nayeon pulls away slightly to look at her teary girlfriend.

 

“You should go.”

 

“No. There’s nine more minutes left.” Mina says and goes back to hugging her girlfriend tight. “Will you visit me?”

 

“Of course, baby.”

“You promise?” Mina looks at her with pleading eyes. The look on her face is too cute to resist but Nayeon can’t make promises.

 

“I will if I can and when I can, okay?”

 

“Okay.” Mina just gives her the gentlest smile.

 

“Hey, time will go by fast, you won’t even notice that it’s already Christmast and you’ll be back here again. So don’t be too sad, okay?”

 

“Okay.”

 

Those nine minutes felt like ten seconds because when Mina looked at her watch, it’s already time. Time to let go of her love’s hug… for now. She pulls away, still hesitant to break the hug. “No matter how busy you get, don’t forget about me, okay?”

 

“Of course.” Nayeon snickers. “Why would I? You’re my girlfriend.”

 

“Video call me whenever you can.”

 

“Yes, ma’am.” Nayeon kisses her forehead.

 

“Bye.”

 

“Bye, Minari. I love you.”

 

“I love you more.”

 

“I love you more.” Nayeon protests.

 

“One last ppoppo?” Mina pouts her lips and Nayeon leans in to kiss them.

 

They break the hug and Mina runs to her terminal pulling along her luggage. Nayeon watches her with a heavy heart and aching chest.

 

//


 

The time passes away fast just as what Nayeon told Mina. It’s one and a half months later and Nayeon’s in London to visit Nayeon. She kept (the promise she never made) her word. It’s Chuseok and it’s a holiday in Korea but Nayeon had already talked to her parents about not spending it with them this year. They were a little hesitant because it would break their yearly traditions for the said holiday but Nayeon will argue with them if they don’t let her fly to Mina in London and if it’s about Mina, Nayeon will always win.

 

//

 

Mina brings Nayeon to the university she goes to. She shows her the fashion designs she’s made for her projects. Of course, Nayeon’s blown away. She never realized how talented her girlfriend was until she saw her works in the flesh.

“Wow. Your works are really good! I’m so proud of you.” Nayeon says as she marvels on the designs.

“Thanks.” Mina giggles shyly.

“Where do you get your inspiration to make these?”

“You.” Mina squeezes her girlfriend’s hand. “You inspire me in everything I do.”

“Aww.” Nayeon blushes. She leans in to give her girlfriend a kiss but the latter stops her.

“There are cameras in this room.” She whispers.

“Oh, sorry.” Nayeon snickers.

//

“I have no Friday and Saturday classes, where do you wanna go?”

“Anywhere. I don’t really care.” Nayeon looks at Mina, nearing her face to the latter. “As long as you’re with me.” She holds a laugh and only lets it out when Mina scrunches her nose.

“You’re so cheesy, babe.” Mina laughs.

“I know you like it when I’m cheesy.”

“Sometimes.” Mina pokes her girlfriend’s nose. She looks at her wristwatch. “Are you hungry yet?”

“Starving.” Nayeon laughs again. Gosh, she’s so happy to be in London, with the person she loves the most, forgetting about work, and oh… she forgot to tell her girlfriend that she’s stopped going to uni.

//

“This is the best burger place in this area.”

“You love burgers now?”

“Yeah.”

“More than pizza?”

“More than pizza.”

Nayeon dramatically gasps. “How dare you?”

“Well, I mostly order the burger flavored pizza.” Mina chuckles. It’s what she ordered for Nayeon but she ordered a different one this time.

“Good. You have no right to replace pizza as your favorite food because I can’t change mine. We have to have the same favorite food.”

“Sure. Whatever.” Mina teases.

“Hey!” Nayeon playfully hits her arm.

A waiter serves their orders. They enjoy their burgers and Nayeon starts another conversation.

“So, um. I stopped going to school.”

“What?”

“Working and studying is too much for me.”

“I know. But are you okay with that?”

“Yeah.” Nayeon shrugs. “I can finish college later. Or not. Does it even matter if I graduate or not? I’m going to end up with the same job anyway. I’m destined to take over my parents’ business and there’s little to no chance of that not happening.”

Mina shrugs. “Makes sense. I support you in that decision.”

//

Nayeon flew back to Korea a few days later. They knew it’s gonna happen. Of course Nayeon has to go back to her life in Korea. But it still broke their heart to part ways, knowing that they won’t see and kiss each other in the flesh in a few months.

Again, they’re in a tight hug at the airport and Nayeon feels something warm against her shirt. “Hey, why are you crying?” Nayeon pull back to face her girlfriend, holding her in the shoulders.

“Hey. Aww. Please don’t cry. You’re making it harder for me to leave.”

“I didn’t know it would hurt more to be the one being left behind.”

“I know. But hey.” She wipes away her girlfriend’s tears with her thumbs. “Hey.” She said in the gentlest, most comforting voice. “It’s almost Christmas break. You’ll be back in Korea in no time.”

Mina sighs, trying to collect herself. “Two and a half months is nothing compared to the one year we were apart last time.”

“Right. We can do this.”

“I know I chose to study on the other side of the world and I knew this long distance relationship is gonna be hard but I didn’t think it would be this hard. I wish I could go back in time and change my decision and went to Korea with you instead.”

“Hey. It’s okay. Even if we’re in a relationship, we’re still supposed to make the right decisions for ourselves even if it meant we have to be apart for some time. And I’m sorry for almost stopping you to study here. This is your dream and I support you.”

That speech only comforts Mina’s heart a bit. She groans. “I hate distance and different time zones.”

“You’ll be fine, okay? We’ll be fine.”

Mina looks at her wristwatch and realizes Nayeon’s gonna be late if she doesn’t leave now.

“It’s time.” Mina pouts.

“I’ll see you in Korea soon.” Nayeon gives her a searing kiss. “Take care of yourself. Bye bye.”

“Bye. You, too. Love you.”

“Love you.”

Mina watches her girlfriend leave. “This must be how she felt whenever I leave her.” She thinks to herself.

//

Two and a half months have passed and not much has changed, except that Nayeon’s beginning to hate what’s doing. She tried to love her work but it’s too stressful for her to handle and the more stressed out she got, the more she hated it and wanted to quit but she can’t quit. She thinks it’s all too much for her young age. It is. She’s only 22. But it’s the only thing she’s supposed to do in her life, as what her parents have engraved in her mind since she was a kid and she accepted that fate, thinking that it would go well with her and that she would love it. But she doesn’t. She hardly gets time for herself and for her girlfriend Nayeon feels lost even though the path she’s in has always been the path that she knew she was gonna take and that fact is not gonna change. She hates this kind of life.

She doesn’t feel like she’s present at any moment, with anyone,  because her mind is just going crazy with all the responsibility she has for the business. She’s become more sensitive and quick tempered. Above all, she doesn’t want to be with Mina anymore. No. She doesn’t want Mina to be with her anymore. She doesn’t think MIna deserves to be with her anymore. She not getting happier and that’s already putting damage on their relationship but Mina’s too understanding. She gives Nayeon the space and time she asks for when she doesn’t feel like giving love or care to anymore but, of course, she doesn’t tell Mina these things. “Mina’s too good for me” is what she has been telling herself lately.

In a few days, her girlfriend will be back to Korea and she’s not even excited anymore. She feels drained, emotionally and physically.

 

She snaps out of her thoughts when her phone rings.

 

“Baby! I missed you!” Mina greets her with a beaming smile.

 

“Hey.” Nayeon forces a smile and tries to not sound too tired but her eyes can’t lie.

 

“You look so…” Mina tries to think of a word. “Gloomy. Still having problems with that deal?”

 

Nayeon sighs heavily. “Yeah.” She couldn’t hide how she’s feeling anymore so she drops the happy facade she forced. The branch in Bucheon didn’t happen because of some issues on the land they bought for the restaurant. It turned out that the seller of that land sold it to Nayeon’s company and another party. The process to undo her purchase of the land took a lot of her time and effort. And, not to mention, she had to look for another one in the same area. Well, she found one and it already has a building but the owners want it to be preserved even if they sell it. But Nayeon has to have it remodeled. She’s still in talks with her business partner about it.

 

“So, I’ll be flying back tomorrow. I’m so excited to kiss you.”

 

Nayeon smiles. “Me, too.” She lies. “You don’t have to bring me anything.”

 

“Why not? I was just gonna ask you what you wanted me to get you.”

 

“Just don’t get me anything and don’t even plan on any surprises.” Because it’s gonna make it harder for me to let you go.

 

Mina feels the irritation in Nayeon’s voice so she just says “Okay. Whatever you want.”

 

Nayeon mentally groans while thinking to herself why does she have to be so understanding?

 

“I’m sorry. I know you love giving me gifts, but I really don’t want any.” Nayeon explains.

 

“It’s okay.” Mina smiles at her.

 

...and forgiving?

 

//

 

Mina’s back in Korea. She’s renting an apartment again for her whole stay in Korea. Her parents are going there, too, in a week to spend Christmas and the new year with her. On the night she arrived, she insisted that she stay at Nayeon’s place for the night.

 

They’re in Nayeon’s bedroom. Ever since Mina arrived a couple of hours ago, the air between them has been thick and cold, from when Nayeon picked her up from the airport, to when they had dinner in a restaurant, and until they arrive at her apartment.

 

Mina walks towards her busy girlfriend who’s standing by the window, talking with someone on the phone. She hugs her from behind and whispers “I love you”. After a minute, she’s still hugging her girlfriend, feeling her warmth—the warmth she missed so much. She whispers, “I missed you. I miss you” She’s there with Nayeon but she still misses because she’s not there with her. Nayeon places her hand on Mina’s hand. The latter thought she’s gonna hold her hand but instead, Nayeon pulled it away to free herself from the hold.

“Mina, please. This call is important.” Nayeon whispers.

Mina feels a pang in her chest. She tells herself it’s okay. Nayeon’s just busy right now. She will give her her attention after this call.

Nayeon’s call ends and she faces Mina who’s still standing, waiting behind her. She looks angry. “Can you not distract me when I’m on an important call?”

“I’m sorry. I just thought it would comfort you and I just- I missed you.”

Nayeon takes a glass of water then sits on the edge of the bed, a couple of feet away from Mina.

“I can’t do this anymore.”

Am I really doing this right now? Nayeon asks herself but she can't pretend that she's okay anymore.

“Just take a break and stop overthinking about it. Things will go well with everything, trust me.” Mina scoots closer to her girlfriend. She reaches for the latter’s hand but the said girl avoided it by moving that free hand to hold the glass her other hand is holding. Mina’s failed attempt at that hurt her but she tries to understand her girlfriend.

“No, it’s not about my work. It’s about us.”

Mina takes a sharp breath. Her voice and her hands start to tremble. “Wha- what do you mean?”

“I mean, I wanna break up with you. I’m too busy to give you the time and love you want. And don’t you think we’re just gonna be a distraction to each other in the future?”

Mina’s tears rolled down her cheeks. “You sound like you’re saying that I’m the distraction. I’ve been feeling like a burden and that's why I give you space. And- and I try to understand you e-even though you’ve been so hard to understand lately. And if I’m being a distraction, then you don’t have to pick me up and take me to work everyday.” 

“Pretty soon, I’ll be a distraction to you—to your studies.”

“I don’t care, Nayeon!” Mina raises her arms along with her voice. “I don’t care because I love you. I’ll take whatever I have to take just to keep us together.”

“Mina, please understand. It’s gonna happen anyway. This relationship won't work anymore anytime soon, so might as well do it sooner. ‘Cause if we try to save us, it’s gonna backfire and I won’t want that to happen.  It’s gonna do a bigger damage so we have to let go now.

This is the only thing Mina doesn’t understand and she doesn’t try to. She doesn’t want to.

“Please, don’t do this. You said we'll always be together no matter what happens. You promised that we’ll stay together ‘through thick and thin’, remember?” Mina quoted the exact words Nayeon had told her before.

“I said that but I never promised. Look, people change and…” Nayeon sighs heavily. “...plans change. Then priorities change. Look how busy I am. I can’t prioritize you anymore.”

“What about your love for me? Did it change along with the changes in your life?”

Nayeon can't answer. She's not certain anymore if she stayed with Mina only because of the promises she never made. “Through thick and thin, we’ll always stay together.”

Nayeon’s not saying anything so Mina continues. “You don’t love me the same way anymore?”

“I--" Nayeon can’t even say it. Not because she doesn’t love her anymore but because she feels like she doesn’t deserve Mina’s love anymore. “I need to focus on this first. I don’t know until when but I just need to focus on this first before I can focus on myself again and you. You can’t stay with a person like me. Go out and meet somebody else that deserves you.”

Mina didn’t see this coming, she never did. Other people would expect their relationships to end at some point but to Mina, her relationship with Nayeon is it for her. Nayeon is her endgame, the love of her life.

 

Nayeon couldn’t contain her tears anymore. She’s said her reasons and she hopes she can change things and take back everything she just said but she thinks it would be better if they don’t stay together.

 

“I’m so sorry, Mina.” Nayeon is about to leave but Mina grabs her hand to stop her. Nayeon turns around and Mina grabs her face and kisses her. She waits and doesn't wanna let go until Nayeon kisses her back. The latter doesn't. They feel each other’s warm tears fall. After a few seconds, Mina gives up. Mina lets go.

Mina nods, wiping her tears away with her fingers. After a moment, she tries to collect herself and takes a deep breath. “Can we stay friends?”

 

“Yeah, but-” Nayeon shrugs. “I mean, I don’t know.”

 

“Of course, you can’t make promises with me.” Mina says coldly. It caused a pang in Nayeon’s chest.

 

“I’m just not sure if I can. How can I make a promise that I’m not sure of keeping?” Nayeon sounded irritated. Mina just stayed silent. She can make any lifetime promises for Nayeon but if the latter’s not even willing to make little promises, then, maybe this isn’t their time yet, but she hopes that the future is because Mina never doubted that Nayeon is the one for her and is the love of her life.

 

“I’ll take you to your apartment.” Nayeon offers, looking away from Mina.She fights the rest of her tears to not fall but she fails to do so. She wipes them away.

 

“Whatever you want.” Mina says coldly again.

 

The car ride was painful. It was quiet and they wished the silence would give them peace just like how it did in the past when they just sat outside while feeling the breeze brush through their faces—just like how it did before tonight’s storm came.

 

They arrive at the apartment Mina’s renting. Nayeon helps her bring her bags inside. They don’t say their final goodbyes just like how they did whenever one of them would leave. They can’t even face each other now. Nayeon feels bad for what she had to do. It breaks her heart to break Mina’s heart and to know that the latter probably feels worse than her because it was all too sudden for her. Mina waits for the door to close and a painful silence embraces her.

 

Later that night, Nayeon couldn’t sleep. Mina couldn’t either.

 

Mina sees the moon through her room’s window. Nayeon sees it, too.

 

They get out of their beds, go to stand by the window, and watch the moon. Only half of it is showing. It looks like how they feel at the moment.

 

The moon won’t be smiling for a while.


 

I’m sorry I could only love you halfway.

 

I can love you wholly even if you can only love me halfway.

But I’ll go with whatever you want.

‘Cause I love you.

 


i recently saw some minayeon fans asking for fics where mina's the one who goes through angst and so i tried to do that in this chapter hehe but it's still angst for nayeon too. pls comment what you think of this one hehe. thanks for reading!

twitter: @namyoim