colors

colors and a smiling moon

A/N: this one was rushed and unbeta-ed so i apologize for any mistakes :)

 


Back in Senior High, on the first day of school, an energetic girl named Nayeon approaches the new student.

“Hey.” Nayeon stands beside the girl sitting by herself at the back of the room.

The girl lifts up her gaze and sees a bright smile from a bunny-toothed girl. “Hi.” She smiles back. Her voice is shy and tiny.

“You’re the transferee from the U.S. that Mr. Hirai told us about yesterday, right?”

“Yeah.” Mina plays with the pen on her hand to help with the awkwardness she’s feeling.

Nayeon takes a chair and places it beside the transferee student. She sits on it and introduces herself. “My name’s Im Nayeon. What’s yours?”

“I’m Mina.” She responds with a shy smile. Nayeon offers her hand for a handshake and she takes it.

“Where are you from?”

“I’m from here but I just went to study in Texas for a year.”

“Ah. Is it because of your parents’ job?”

“Yeah. But I’m here for good now. They’re finally letting me be independent and stay wherever I wanna stay.”

“That must be cool. You can live alone without your parents giving you rules and all that stuff.”

“Yeah. Teenagers get tired of their parents at some point of their lives.”

“True! That’s why I chose to study here at Osaka University, so that I can have my freedom. But, I’m not gonna lie, I miss them a lot. Well, only sometimes. But I still do.”

Mina nods. Not knowing what to say anymore. She’s not good at conversations and Nayeon can easily sense that.

Nayeon glances at her wristwatch. “Oh, it’s almost time. I’m gonna go back to my desk now. Do you wanna have lunch with me later?”

“Sure! I’d love to.” Mina thanks her for the offer and watches as the other girl goes back to settle in her own seat.

//

The bell rings. It’s lunch break. Nayeon looks behind to where Mina’s seat is. The latter stands up, puts her bag’s strap on her right shoulder. She looks in front and smiles when she sees Nayeon already approaching her.

//

“I was expecting you’d be introducing me to your friends.” Mina speaks up as she takes a seat at the cafeteria.

“I don’t have friends. I mean, I do but they’re not here anymore.”

Mina gasps. “I’m so sorry.”

Nayeon chuckles. “No, no. I meant they’re back home in Korea.”

“Oh.” Mina laughs. “Why’s that?”

“My two best friends—they’re twins, FYI. They moved back to Korea because their parents found out that they had boyfriends here in Japan.” Nayeon shrugs. “Bummers, right?”

“Wow.” Mina says plainly. “Strict parents.”

“Right? Dating is part of growing up, yet they’re prohibiting their children to experience it. Such behavior.” Nayeon scoffs.

“By the way, how old are you?”

“I’m 18.”

“Oh, good. Same. Well, of course I already expected that since we’re in the same level.”

//

Days and weeks passed and Nayeon became a close friend to Mina but the in the former’s case, it’s different. She confessed her feelings for Mina but the latter explained that she’s straight. It broke Nayeon’s heart a little but Mina only wanted to stay friends, so that’s what they did.

One night, during dinner at Nayeon’s dorm, Mina got drunk.

 “Is this your first time? Damn, you’re already drunk, Mina.”

“How do I know I’m drunk? How does being drunk feel like?”

“It’s exactly how you’re feeling right now.” Nayeon sneers. “At least, now, we know how low your alcohol tolerance is. You can’t have drinks unless you’re with me, understood?”

“Yes, ma’am.” Mina gives her a nod and a thumbs up.

“You should remember that.”

“Well, you should remind me that! That’s your job.”

“Excuse me.” Nayeon raises an eyebrow at Mina as she opens another can of beer for herself. “I am not your mom to remind you of things.”

“Then, can girlfriends do that?”

“Yeah, but I’m not your girlfriend either.”

“Then, be my girlfriend. Starting now, you’re my girlfriend and I’m your girlfriend.”

“Hey, you can’t do that just because you need something from me. You should have real feelings for me to be my girlfriend.”

“I do!” Mina says. Irritation is heard in her voice.

“What??

“I like you.” Mina pouts.

“Mina, you’re just drunk.”

“Maybe I am. But people become honest when they’re drunk, right?”

“I don’t know. We’ll talk about this tomorrow once you’re sober.”

“Okay.” Mina takes a big yawn. “I think I’m going to bed.”

Nayeon smiles as she watches her friend start to lay down on the floor where she is seated.

“Mina, wait. We should move you to my bed.” She stands up and puts the other girl’s arm around her neck and guides her to her bedroom. “Good night, Minari.”

“Good night, Nayeonnie. I love you.”

Nayeon’s heart jumped at what she just heard. Her heart’s been doing that ever since she started having feelings for Mina. And every time they say “I love you” to each other, each of them meant different things.

“Love you, too.” Nayeon whispers.

Nayeon came to Mina with a bright smile. She’s like the sun that became Mina’s ray of sunshine—her happiness. Mina is not good at keeping friendships. Maybe it’s because of the fact that she moved from place to place many times that her friendships were cut short. But now that she’s staying in Japan for good, she feels like she can finally have friends that she can keep for a long time, and hopefully forever. With Nayeon, it didn’t take long for Mina to fully trust the girl and become her best friend. They both made other friends but they were almost never apart.

//

The next day, Mina woke up in Nayeon’s bed with a terrible headache. She sits up and looks at the time in Nayeon’s phone that’s sitting on the latter’s pillow. It’s almost 11am. Suddenly, a rush of memories from last night came to her. She grunts. “Ugh. Why did I say such things?” She whispered to herself, grabbing two handfuls of her hair.

The door slowly opens and she sees Nayeon peeking her head into the room.

“Oh you’re awake! Good morning, babe. I brought you some meds for your headache.”

“Nayeon, please I am having a terrible headache right now.” She had said that she hates it when Nayeon calls her that.

Mina tilts her head. She looks like she’s supposed to remember something but she can’t recall what it is. Nayeon notices it, and as she expected, Mina didn’t remember that part of what she said last night and she takes this chance to make fun of her friend.

“What? You asked me to marry you last night. We’re fiancés now and you don’t even want me to be endearing to you?”

“I was drunk. Drunk people don’t mean what they say.” But she knows that she said the opposite last night.

“So, you’re breaking up with me?” Nayeon dramatically places a hand on her chest.

Mina gives her a look and she knows what it means. “Okay, okay. I’m kidding. Now, take this pill if you don’t wanna die of that headache.”

Nayeon didn’t bring up the “talk” that they agreed to have the night Mina got drunk but it stayed in her thoughts for the whole week.

//

A week later and it’s Spring break. Mina’s parents just left to go back to the U.S. for work. Nayeon decides to stay in Japan so Mina won’t be alone.

Mina stands in front of Nayeon as she takes her clothes back out of her luggage and arranges them back to her closet.

“Your parents said it’s okay?”

Nayeon glances at her with a closed smile and nods in response.

“Aww, you’re so sweet. You’re the bestest best friend ever!” Mina throws her arms around Nayeon and gives her a tight hug.

“Oh.” Nayeon almost loses her balance.

The one who started the hug breaks it first. “And because you’re such a good friend, I got something for you.” She excitedly says and takes something from her sling bag. “Ta-da!” In her hand is a ring.

 “What’s that for?”

“It’s a friendship ring!”

“You sure it’s not a promise ring?”

“Well, it’s also a promise ring. A promise that we’ll always be best friends. And from this day forward, I pronounce you as the bestest friend in the whole wide world ever!”

“Aren’t I already the bestest friend ever before today?”

“Yes, but.” Mina clicks her tongue. “Just go with the flow Im Nayeon!” She puts the ring on Nayeon’s left ring finger. “So that no one will try to ask you out.” Mina chuckles.

“Wow, you’re such a bad friend.”

Mina chuckles. “I’m kidding!” She takes it out and moves it to Nayeon’s index finger. “I still have a letter to read to you.”

“Are you really going to be this cheesy?”

“Yes, I’m Nayeon. Now, where did I put it?” Mina fishes for a small envelope inside her bag. Once she finds it, she opens it, clears , and prepares to read the letter.

“Dear Im Nayeon. I’m thankful that you approached me that day and asked me to have lunch with you. Thank you for putting up with my shy back then. Thank you for helping me become a better version of me.”

“Is this the part where I cry?” Nayeon interrupts.

“Not yet. It would be better if you save it for later. Trust me.” And then, Mina continues reading her letter.

“Also, I want you to know that I’m sorry for being a liar and telling you that I’m straight when I knew I was starting to become gay for you.” Mina glances at her.

Nayeon chuckles but she can’t hide her blush and how surprised is and how thrilled she is to hear the rest of the letter.

“That night, when I got drunk, I meant what I said about having feelings for you. Now, Im Nayeon, I have something to ask you.” Mina folds back the letter and looks at Nayeon who’s already teary-eyed before she continued. “Are you willing to not just be my bestest friend in the whole wide world, but also to be my girlfriend?”

“Why do you have to be so formal and call me by my full name?” Nayeon laughs.

“Will you focus and answer me already?”

“Yes, Myoi Mina. I take you as my lawful girlfriend.”

Mina smiles brightly at the response.

“This is the time we kiss, right?”

“Yes. You can finally kiss me, Im Nayeon. I know you’ve been wishing for this to happen.”

Nayeon chuckles. “You’re so full of yourself.” She cups her girlfriend’s cheeks and leans in. The latter leans in, too. Their eyes close as the gap between their lips closes. It’s true that Nayeon wished for this moment to happen. She had waited for months and she’s not gonna allow their first kiss to be not passionate.

//

Mina’s having an identity crisis. She became so frustrated at the thought that she felt like Nayeon ruined her. She ruined her plans of marrying the guy that she made a promise to. A promise that when she comes back to visit the US, she’ll give him a chance. She was ready to fall for him—the person her parents wanted her to marry one day. But she’s with Nayeon now and she’s in love with her. But her mind is telling her that it’s a mistake and that she shouldn’t allow her heart to win. She told Nayeon about these things but the latter always told her to stop thinking about it and that what she’s going through is just a phase of accepting of who she really is. But Mina couldn’t take it anymore so she wants to break things with Nayeon.

“What did you just say?”

“You heard it. I don’t wanna be with you anymore, Nayeon!”

“Please, Mina. Don’t do this.“ Nayeon sighs. She remembers how Mina confessed to her and asked her to be her girlfriend. The memory hurts. She tries to contain her tears but when she couldn’t anymore, she closes her eyes and allows them to roll down her face. She looks at Mina again and asks her to tell her why she wants to break up.

“You ruined me. I told you, I can’t like girls but you continued being sweet to me. You made me confused about myself. I was fine before you came into the picture and made me fall for you. It was a mistake to ask you to be my girlfriend and I’m sorry about that. But please, let me go. I can’t do this anymore.”

And Nayeon doesn’t let her go.

“You know you love me, Mina. Just accept that. Accept yourself!”

Mina breaks down. “I love you. But I don’t like myself.”

Nayeon picks her up. “Hey. Just take it easy on yourself. This is just a phase, okay? You’ll get through this. We’ll get through this.”

//

A few months have passed and about their relationship is doing good except one thing.

They’re walking the streets after having dinner in a restaurant. Nayeon holds Mina’s hand with both her hands firmly.

“Babe?”

“Hmm?” Nayeon hums, focusing her gaze on the pathway.

“My parents know about us already but you haven’t told your parents. How do you think they’ll respond?”

Nayeon hums as she thinks. “Well, my parents are old school but they’re open-minded people. I’m more worried about my grandma. We’re pretty close so she’ll probably hate me if she knew about my uality and you’re my first girlfriend so, it’ll be tough to tell them about us.”

“I’m sure she won’t hate you for it, but she’ll probably get really upset.”

“Yeah.” Nayeon pouts her lips and sighs. “I’ll have to tell them soon.”

“Whenever you’re ready. I’ll wait.”

//

The day finally came. Nayeon arranged a video call with her family.

“Hey, mom, pops, and grandma!” She greet once the call started.

“Nayeon, you look prettier than the last time I saw you.” Her grandma remarks.

She palms her face, acting cute. “Oh, thank you, grandma. I can always count on you for compliments like that.” Her grandma laughs in response. She and her family exchange their “How are you’s” and then her grandma teases her by asking, “Do you have a boyfriend now?”

Nayeon clears nervously at the question. “Well,”

“Ma, please stop convincing her to have a boyfriend. It will just be a distrac-“ Nayeon cuts her mom.

“Actually, I’m in a relationship with someone.”

“Really? When can we meet him?”

“He better be more handsome than me.” Her dad jokes.

Mina is sitting beside her, holding her hand and feeling as nervous as she is. Nayeon squeezes her hand. It’s time.

“Actually, it’s a ‘she’.” She says and moves her laptop to show her girlfriend in the screen.

“Hello.” Mina bows politely and Nayeon watches her. When she looks back at the screen, she sees her parents and grandma frozen in utter surprise.

“She’s my girlfriend and her name is Mina. She’s very nice and-“

“You are a disgrace in this family!” Her grandma raises her voice.

“Mom, don’t, please.” Her mom tries to calm her grandma down.

“I’m sorry, but this is who I am.”

Her dad takes the laptop.

“It’s okay, sweetheart. She’ll be okay. She’s just shocked right now.”

“Dad, I’m so sorry.” Nayeon starts crying. Mina watches her and her tears roll down her cheeks as well.

“You don’t have to be sorry. I’m not mad at you. It’s okay. I love you no matter what.” He reassures her daughter.

Her mom goes back in the frame. “Nayeon, baby. It’s okay. I accept you for who you are. But your grandma will need a little time.”

Nayeon sobs.

“Oh, honey. It’s okay. We love you regardless of who you love.” She looks at the girl beside her daughter. “Apologies. Please understand, it’s a new thing for our family.”

Mina nods and forces a smile, unable to utter a word.

“Take care of our daughter.” Nayeon’s dad says before they say goodbye and ends the video call.

//

The school year is about to end. There’s only one month left and they're graduating from high school. In another one month, Mina has made plans and she’s just about to say it to her girlfriend.

“Babe?”

Nayeon laughs.

“What’s funny?”

“It’s just that you used to hate it when I call you ‘babe’ but now you're calling me ‘babe’. It’s just ironic.”

“Can we stop recalling that? That's so months ago.” Mina playfully punches her arm.

Nayeon laughs again. “Okay. So, what were you saying?”

“Hmm.” Mina nibbles on her lower lip. “Would you be mad if I told you that I wanna go with my parents to London and get my fashion degree there?”

Nayeon huffs. "But you said you're going to Korea with me. What happened to your parents allowing you to make your own decisions about where to stay?”

“It's my decision, not theirs.”

“Why the change of plans?”

“The idea of studying in London is just so enticing and I don’t wanna waste this opportunity. You know it was my childhood dream to live and study there.”

“So, you’re leaving me?” She says in a serious tone.

“I’m not leaving you.”

“You going to London and studying there for years is leaving me. Is your girlfriend not enticing enough to make you wanna stay?”

“Nayeon, please?.” Mina pouts.

“Mina” she responds with the same tone as her girlfriend’s. She sighs. Mina holds her hand. "I don't wanna do a long distance relationship. I can't do it. And you’re not that child anymore. You have different plans now.”

“When things disappear, it doesn’t mean it’s really gone. Sometimes they’re just sleeping. I want it again. Can't you just support that?”

“Maybe you should think about it more. You know, weigh things. Then, maybe you'll realize that that dream is just coming back for a short time. Some dreams are just fleeting.”

There’s a moment of silence.

“We don't have to be in a long distance relationship. You can come with me.” Mina’s voice softened.

“Mina.” Nayeon sgihs. “You know that my parents are passing to me the responsibility of taking care of their restaurants, right? I need to stay with them.”

“But I need you, too.”

“Please don't be selfish. You’re the one who’s coming up with this sudden plan.” Nayeon pulls her hand away from Mina's. “I can't go there with you, so it's either you go or you stay.”

A minute of silence envelopes them. They’re staring at nothing as thoughts run in the minds.

“I love you, Nayeon. Please don’t break up with me because of this.”

“I won’t. I’m upset but that wouldn’t stop me from loving you.”

Mina kisses her soundly and hugs her. "When that time comes, even if we can't be together physically for a while, can you promise me that you'll never give up on us?"

Nayeon's the kind of person who's careful about making promises. She almost never uses the word "promise" even if the person she loves the most asks her to make a promise. At this moment, she's hesitant to make the promise Mina is asking her to make. She softly breaks the embrace and faces her girlfriend.

"Mina, I love you and I know challenges are inevitable but I-" She takes a deep breath. "I will try my best to never give up on us."

"Say that you promise."

"I can't. I'm not perfect. I might just break it even unintentionally. I don't know what the future holds, but I can promise you that I will do my best and I hope you do the same."

Mina furrows her brows. "So, you're saying you're still not sure about me? About us?"

"No." Nayeon bites her lower lip. "I'm just saying that I don't want you to get mad at me for not being able to keep the promise if ever something happens that will make me break it. You get me, right? It's not that I'm not sure about you, it's just that we can't be sure of the future. But I love you and that's the only thing I'm sure of right now."

//

The world seems to be doing some work to keep the couple apart because when the second semester of their first year in university started, their communication has lessened from every day to once or twice a week. They both have become busier with their studies and Nayeon has started managing her parents’ restaurants.

They agreed to break up because the long distance relationship isn’t working for them. It wasn’t a bad break up but it still broke their hearts that they had to. They know that it’s for the best. . They stopped believing that they’re for each other, at least for now.

After the break up, Mina still tries to stay connected with Nayeon. Since the latter is busier, she can’t always respond to her messages and calls.

Two months after the breakup, Mina calls Nayeon.

She tells her she misses her. That it feels like torture and she doesn’t know what else could make her feel better aside from Nayeon.

Nayeon tells her to move on. They have to move on. The universe will do its job to make them meet again if they really are for each other.

//

They moved on and 5 years later, they meet unexpectedly. Mina went to Switzerland with her parents and the family of the guy she told Nayeon about that her parents wanted her to end up with. Nayeon also went there with her parents.

One day, Nayeon is eating at a restaurant with her parents when a couple of people walks behind her and she smells a familiar scent. It smelled like her ex’s perfume. The couple are about to walk out the door and she turns to take a glance at them. There, she sees Mina. The man she is with is holding her hand, kind of like guiding her out the door. And Nayeon notices that a baby is strapped in front of him in a carrier. Mina turned and she’s facing towards Nayeon’s direction. Nayeon swore Mina looked at her and it lasted for 2 heart beats. Then the man guides Mina to the car and they drive off.

Is the universe orchestrating things up to make them get back together?

//

A few days later, Nayeon and her family are sitting on the grass overlaid with a picnic blanket. There are many people in the area, also having a picnic with their loved ones. Children are playing around. Dogs are barking and running around.

Nayeon sees a group of people that just arrived and they are laying their picnic blankets on the ground. She sees someone familiar. It’s Mina! Her heart once again felt like it skipped a beat just like when she first saw Mina in the restaurant a few days ago. There’s only a few feet distancing them. Mina must've not noticed her. “Should I approach her?” She asks herself. Nayeon watches as her ex is being guided by a man—a handsome man. Must be her boyfriend or her husband. Then, she sees Mina’s mom carefully placing a white cane in her hand. “She- She’s blind?” That’s it. Nayeon excuses herself from her parents and starts to approach Mina. The latter’s mom sees her walking towards them and “Oh” is the first thing she says with a smile.

Their parents knew they broke up and they also knew that they stayed friends that just never contacted each other again after that one last call when Nayeon told Mina to move on.

“Hello.” Nayeon says and Mina takes a sharp inhale. Her eyes widen. “What a coincidence. I’m having a picnic with my family over there, too.” She points to where her parents are. Then she turns to Mina. “Hi, Mina. Long time no see. How are you?” Her voice became softer.

Mina smiles at her. “Yeah, it’s been a long time and it’ll probably take longer for me to see you again.” She chuckles.

“She got into an accident. Her eyes got damaged badly but there’s still a big chance that she’ll be able to see again. We’re just waiting for the eye donor to arrive and then in two days, she’ll have the surgery.” Mina’s mom explains.

Nayeon is speechless and Mina can sense that she doesn’t know what to say and that she feels bad for her. So she says “It’s okay, Nayeon. I’m okay. I’ll be able to see again soon.” She asks her mom if she can talk with Nayeon for a while.

The two goes to a spot where there aren’t many people. Nayeon tries to guide her. She holds her hand and helps her sit in the grass.

“You never called me or texted me again.”

“You told me to move on. How can I move on if we still talk, right?”

Nayeon nods. “Hmm, true. I’m sorry.”

“What are you sorry for?” Mina chuckles. “It’s fine. It’s all in the past.”

“By the way, how’s your grandma? Did she not come here with you?”

“She passed away two years ago.”

“Oh, sorry to hear that.”

“It’s okay. She’s in a happier place now.”

“What about you? How have you been? Are you like married now?” Nayeon asks.

“Remember the guy my parents wanted me to marry?”

“Yeah. You married him?”

“No.” Mina laughs. “His dad’s going to do the surgery on me. He’s a well-known surgeon here in Switzerland.”

“Oh.” Nayeon laughs in relief and Mina can sense that. “That’s great. But you didn’t answer my question.”

“I’ve been good. I just had to stop working for a while because of this.” She points to her eyes. “And, no, I’m not married to him or to anyone. I never really had feelings for him. He got married to someone else but her wife died in the car crash that I was also in.”

“I feel bad. I’m so sorry to hear that.”

“Me, too. I shouldn’t have allowed her to drive me to the airport that day.”

“Hey, don’t blame yourself.”

“I don’t but I just can’t help but think what if I was the one who died. It would have been better if it was me because I didn’t have a spouse and a baby waiting for me at home.”

“Don’t say that because I would be so devastated...” She takes a deep breath before she continues. “Because I’ve been waiting for you.”

“What?”

“I’m still waiting for you, Mina. I’m still waiting for another chance to get back to you. I still believe I’m supposed to be with you sometime in the future. The past wasn’t ours but I wanna try and see if the future is.” She looks at Mina and she knows she’s lost for words. “I’m sorry. I know we just met after so many years and saying these things so suddenly must be weird. Meeting you unexpectedly was all too sudden but I don’t wanna lose any chance to tell you that I still want you back even after we’ve moved on from our past.”

“Nayeon.” She stops Nayeon from spitting more words. “Stop babbling.” She chuckles.

Nayeon smiles. “I’m babbling but I meant what I said.”

“I know.” Mina turns her head to face her. “Honestly, I’ve been asking the god in the heavens for this moment to happen. For us to happen again.”

“Since we’re starting all over again, can I have your number?” Nayeon asks.

“I never changed my number.”

“Great. ‘Cause I never deleted it.” She chuckles. “Your family’s waiting for you. I’ll bring you back there.”

//

Nayeon called Mina later that night. Mina invited her to the place she’s staying at. Nayeon insisted that she will pick her up from the hotel and take her to the hotel she’s staying at instead.

“You’re not sharing a hotel room with your parents?”

“Yeah. They’re room is just across this one. Besides, I don’t want to disturb their peace or whatever they wanna do in their room and I don’t want them to do that either.” She chuckles.

“You take girls from bars here at night, don’t you?”

“Ew! You know that’s never my thing. I don’t play around like many single people do.”

“You’ve never been in a relationship since we broke up?”

“Yes and I assume it’s the same with you, because if not, I’d be so jealous.”

“Yeah. Same. I went on dates several times but, honestly, it felt like I was cheating on you.”

Nayeon chuckles because she felt the same way whenever she dated other people.

Nayeon tells her parents that she can’t go to dinner with them. She’s now making dinner for herself and Mina. It’s basil pasta and she tops it with lots of cheese, the way Mina likes it.

Mina takes a bite. “Mmm! This is so good. I can’t believe you’re so good at cooking now.”

“Can’t believe it either. Managing restaurants made me want to learn.”

“That’s good. Learning is good.”

“Yeah.”

//

After dinner, Nayeon takes Mina to the balcony. They’re drinking white wine. They allow the silence to embrace them in this beautiful moment. They’re happy that they can do the things they used to do back in Japan. Just being with each other and feeling like the world has no match on them. The world that used to seem so against them, is now doing its work to bring them together in a new romance.

“So, what are we now?” Nayeon’s soft voice breaks the silence.

“Is that your way of asking me to be your girlfriend?”

“Maybe?”

They chuckle.

Nayeon stands up and takes Mina’s hands in hers. They’re standing in front of each other. Nayeon looks at the Moon above them. “The moon’s smiling at us.”

“It must be happy for us. We must be doing something right.”

“Does it feel like the right time to kiss?”

Mina nods softly. Nayeon cups Mina’s face. Mina holds her in the elbows. They pull each other in. They kiss. The soft touch of the lips. The sensation when the softness becomes rough. They missed this. Memories from the past clouds their minds. Mina slowly breaks the kiss.

“I let you go but I never stopped loving you, Nayeon.”

“I never did, either. My love slept for so long. I can’t wait to wake up everyday knowing that I still have you.”

Mina pulls Nayeon by the neck and wraps her arms around it. Nayeon kisses her back passionately and encircles her arms around Mina’s waist. She takes small steps and guides them towards the bed as they kiss.

They make love. There’s light in the darkness. Colors are bursting. The ecstasy is back. They’ve never been in this trance-like experience in years. There’s a pang in their chests. They allow themselves to get vulnerable with each other again. After all, that’s what love does—it makes you want to risk. It makes you willing to be vulnerable to pain because the person you love is worth everything and beyond.

//

Is this it? Is the universe done at trying to separate them? Will their getting back together end up in a wedding?