Movie

Projection of Relationships

Song: Movie by Tom Misch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUzEYcR2VtM

___________________________

Remember me

Fresh out of black and white

Movie, movie

On every screen

What would you realize

What you meant to me, was a mystery

Remember me

Fresh out of black and white

Movie, movie

On every screen

What would you realize

What you meant to me, was a mystery

___________________________

 

CHOI YENA

 

I watched a new film in the hopes that with each new scene, our love would rekindle. It was a shame that our story seemed like those written by screenwriters, each line within different words yet bearing the same weight. You, clad in a pair of loafers, along with straight-leg pants and a black formal shirt cuffed neatly in the ends. All black of course, like your heart. Charred black, bearing a resemblance to the burnt marshmallows we enjoyed with someone else. Now.

 

I faintly remember a chaste kiss to be shared in front of screens. Two lips coated with caramel hints of the popcorn we devoured individually though our hands held each other, hidden by the box, for fear of it being shown to the big screen. But why can I only recall the fear you had in your eyes as the screen wounded down to a still blackness?

 

I watched a new film with a new hope that this burning flame within us wouldn't die down. I added more fuel to the fire in the hopes that a bigger flame would engulf the doubts we had within us. Perhaps I added too much fuel? Opening my eyes to the sight of the rolls of memories flaming vividly, even more than our love. It was only then that I should have opened my eyes earlier, maybe then I wouldn’t be engulfed in this burning chaos of ‘love’ that you phrase. Or was it society all along?

 

I knew the strings pulling us away were a mystery to us, but we weren't strangers to them. The rom-com sequel we are in got us back to strangers, not by others but our own lines which restrained us. It’s funny how we were thinking of divorce as something that we wouldn’t reach with our short arms. It is funny now when that thought becomes reality. 

 

We remembered as we were fresh out of the wedding office, off to unlock a new chapter in life. It's just that, I shouldn't have gotten my hopes too high to the point that it's dusting away at the top shelf, which was empty for we didn’t bother filling it up as we had divorce papers on the floor before furniture began assembling themselves.

 

We knew we weren't able to write the next scene together like we planned. But the next movie to be screened wasn't one that we enjoyed with popcorn and kisses. More like thorns and bruises. Thorns tickling our hearts dearly while bruises left on our wounded egos. We didn’t resort to physical fights as we realized emotional ones left deeper wounds within the relationship.

 

I guess the only mystery left to solve would be the day our hearts decide to forget the title of the movie.

 

___________________________

 

I heard

That you moved somewhere far away

Is your number the same as before?

I can't ignore, the time

May have changed your ways

Does my record still hang on your wall?

Such a sentimental way to groove

I hope it still touches you

Baby come back to me, come back to me

It kills me to see you leave

So I came home and made this beat

Baby come back to me, come back to me

 

___________________________

 

KIM CHAEWON

 

We heard each other’s voices in our own minds. At least what I think. Nevertheless, I decided that our hearts needed to relocate to another scene, away from each other though we are in the same film. But why is it only then when I forced us to move away, that I decided to long and crave for the warmth that these marshmallows gave us. The ones that we shared in front of screens. Screens in the comfort of our own home, away from the fears that wrapped tightly around your heart.

 

We dialed each other’s number only for it to be declined by our own conscience. We decided on it collectively so why am I still pining after this love like a fool chasing after the wind that would never blow in their direction. I couldn’t deny the warning signs, the black flags popping up at the corner of our relationships. Call me the fool that really is chasing after the wind that would never blow in my direction, but this time, I’ll give chase in the hopes that the wind of fate would blow in my direction. Again.

 

We played the strings of our hearts, the tune fitting for us but not for the world. Those who criticised it found their comments hanging loosely like rolls of developed films on strings in the red room, but I closed my eyes in the hopes that the tune we crafted would drown out the harsh silence we were treated with. I admit that I didn’t think about the next scenes. I laugh sadly at the rom-com, knowing that the reality of life had finally caught up to the end of our relationship. All simply for the fact that you grooved at a stressed beat while I grooved to a non-stressed one.

 

I watched as the lines of black and white blurred to form a grey ‘me’. To think that I could have come home to the sight of you, clad in a simple zipped jacket, loose favorite sweatpants, and the laced-up shoes, for you despised sandals with so much hate, that I wondered where you even got it from. Everything in an off-white shade. Now that's a real black flag. Your shade represented your emotions but I failed to see the shade of black against the white papers that I fear looking at.

 

I had hoped that we could share more buckets of popcorn in front of movie screens. Only for tears to fill up these buckets. I struggled to carry these buckets of tears only for me to release it was empty, with only the weight of our future finally looming on my shoulder like my guilty conscience.

 

I pulled a knot which came back to me and another one which came back to me in a familiar loop, enough to withstand the weight of my soul. The beat of this groove pounding in the thorns round my heart as I slipped into the train, waiting for it to depart along with the rest of the passengers. I watched a smooth, fresh soul clutch the hands of a wrinkled, old one as the train station announced the departure time.

 

At 3 minutes and 8 seconds, I was left with a hundred and sixty-nine seconds to reminisce about 4056 frames of our love. Our love, not yours, not mine but hours left only.

 

I watched in the train as my lips tug slightly on the left, my right drooping slightly down. I could feel my ears slightly perk up as my lips slowly drew itself a story on the reflection of my face. My button nose remained as still as you could remember. My eyes telling a familiar story. One that yelled out the anguish of losing a love I had for you to this tragic scene, the joy at the thought of you being able to enjoy a creamy soft serve while holding hands with another, and the moving light of hope, that you wouldn’t be alone in this world, since I had finally given you the freedom you wanted from the start. I laughed off my misery alone, the rope tight against my soul. 

 

Please don’t spend your time overthinking. Life is simply too short to think of the next scene so just blurt out your lines, in the hopes that someone beyond this movie would listen in and shed blood over their popcorn.

 

I patiently waited as the door closed on us, the last barrier to our love as the train engine rumbled softly, the sight of you standing alone was enough to comfort me. More than the warmth of marshmallows. Now white engulfed my sight.

 

I’ll be patiently waiting for the next bridge to this song, in the hopes that my late love for you would cross the parallel barriers to this tune, just right in time.

 

___________________________

 

Remember me

Fresh out of black and white

Movie, movie

On every screen

What would you realize

What you meant to me, was a mystery

Remember me

Fresh out of black and white

Movie, movie

On every screen

What would you realize

What you meant to me, was a mystery

 

___________________________

 

Everyone remembered her.

 

But not in the way that she laid in the white box, eyes closed to a permanent ‘.’.

 

She laid still, black garments adorned by guests who came to repay their respects.

 

A movie of her life played out on a screen, 4056 frames which were enough to tell everyone that she needed 4512 frames more just so that the movie could be completed.

 

Everyone couldn’t realize they had a part to play. Be it the slight disgruntle at the sight of them brushing hands or the outright burst of hatred for them existing alone, not even bothering anyone but their own hearts, beating in sync for each other.

 

The real mystery here was. Who was to be truly blamed?

 

___________________________

 

Remember me, let's set the scene

You and me, what could've been

Still swimming in a lover's dream

Still playing on the movie screens

Remember me, let's set the scene

You and me, what could've been

Still swimming in our lover's dream

Still playing on the movie screens

Remember me, let's set the scene

You and me, what could've been

Still swimming in our lover's dream

Still playing on the movie screens

Remember me, let's set the scene

You and me, what could've been

Still swimming in our lover's dream

Still playing on the movie screens

 

___________________________

 

A Point of View

 

You remember me, I remember you. Well, we are both writing and reading it out of the same thought. Let me set the scene, just one lovers, enjoying the comfort of love.

 

Swimming in uncharted territory, not knowing the depth of the love. But to them, it can be simply overlooked when love blinds you truly.

 

As the roll of film turned, we remember that adult figures influenced by the harshness of reality only gave them advice. One that they could take or simply ignore. There’s another option, and that is to mould it into something everyone would enjoy. 

 

We knew that if they would only take off the blindfold that love had on them, then they would truly be able to mould themselves to their desired outline of the plans they had.

 

Swimming deeper, past the red buoy that kept them safe. Love is deaf to us once again.

 

Another mood on the roll of film, we remember that society only cares about their own reputation. It’s human nature after all. To want to be the best and never settle for the better. Those who settle for the latter found themselves at the beginning of their doom.

 

We know that if they only listened intently to the sounds of the groove that their hearts are dancing lightly upon, each turn and twist of the strings, then would they be able to drown out the sounds of society’s expectations.

 

Swimming longer , of paint brushes tainting their reputation. Their sense of smell diluted with the stench of jealousy.

 

Another frame came into play on the screen, we remember that the universe must have other plans in store for them, waiting to be scrolled open, revealing the faint smell of soured relationships, overpowering the hint of thorns that pricked those eager to get their hands on roses.

 

I set a table out for the two of us, drawing out your seat like what gentle people do in movies. We swam in the ocean of love, knowing that if we ended up drowning, at least we’ll have the warmth of each other’s embrace comforting us till our last intake of oxygen. The still air pricked our skin before the waves lapped gently at it, soothing us into a deep slumber.

 

A movie silently playing as our hands lightly brushed each other in a transparent film of popcorn.

 

Only to wake up and realise that we were back to our single beds, single square ones.

 

Two pairs of hearts

 

One beat.

 

None left to spare.

 

___________________________

And with that, we have come to an end to Movie. Thank you for reading this angst-filled story. Comments are greatly appreciated be it in the curious cat or in the story itself and do feel free to drop your song recommendation. With that, Jdchrt signing off and I wish you a good day/night!

 

Curious Cat