Nine: Reinforcement

The Princess and I
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The princess woke up, breaking out in sweat. The events of the previous night visited her in her sleep, and she thrashed around on her bed. Unfortunately, no one was there to wake her up, to chase the nightmares away. As she sat up, she wrapped her arms around herself, rubbing her hands over her shoulders to warm herself. Her mind drifted to how the commander had made her feel warm, and she replayed his words in her head to comfort herself.

She looked at the entrance to her tent, and saw the light peeking through the cloth. It was almost daybreak. As she moved to get out, she heard a bit of commotion outside her tent.

She squinted a bit, adjusting to the light as she stepped out. “Your highness, you’re awake. I was about to go to you,” Eunji, her lady-in-waiting, approached her with a bow. When the princess looked at the multitude of people in front of her tent talking to the commander, Eunji went on to explain that the reinforcements from the nearby city had arrived. The commander sent ahead the wounded soldiers to be treated in the city, along with the fallen soldiers who were to be taken back to Silla. These soldiers were to be replaced by the soldiers the magistrate sent. Their food supplies that had been taken were also replenished, and, along with the other items in the hidden compartment of the wagon, these would be adequate for the rest of their trip. She asked Eunji to ready their belongings and her change of garment in time for their departure.

As Eunji left, the commander approached, “Good morning, your highness. We are ready to move forward with the rest of the trip. I have already taken charge of the matters from last night. There is only one thing missing. I’m afraid the nearby city was unable to bring a palanquin for you; they had not anticipated our circumstances.”

The princess silently thanked the heavens; she had never liked being cooped up in a palanquin. “What’s the plan then commander?” she asked. 

“I already bought a horse from this village for you, your highness. You did say you’d prefer to ride on a horse instead. I trust you’re capable of riding one by yourself?” he asked.

The princess bit her lip, looking down before answering, “Well, if it’s a horse from Silla… I mean, my experience with a horse, thus far, commander, is limited to staying within the palace, on the horse that my father had given to me.” She was drawing out her words in embarrassment. She cleared and opted to insist, “But I’m sure I can manage a new horse. Where is it?”

The commander chuckled. I should have known better, he mumbled to himself, throwing a smirk at the princess, who was now glaring at him. He led her out into the village stable, and showed her a white mare. “This will be your horse, your highness,” he pointed, reaching out for the mare, its mane.

The princess tentatively reached out her hand, but was startled when the mare immediately drew back its head. Jongkook tried his hardest to stifle a laugh. Seeing this, she chewed on her bottom lip, her eyebrows furrowed together. With renewed conviction, she marched towards the back of the mare and held onto its back, intending to board. How hard could it be? she thought to herself.

The commander immediately saw what she planned to do. “Your highness, don’t!” he cried, grabbing onto the princess just in time to evade the defensive kick the mare did. He held onto the princess, but lost his balance, se

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter