Bonus Two: Somin

The Princess and I
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Somin was inside her palanquin as they made their way towards Gaya. She’d been told that the journey would take days, but Insung had guaranteed her that she need not worry as they were very familiar with the road. 

When she met Insung, she was immediately mesmerized by him. The man was incredibly tall, and he towered over her with his angelic face and his lean yet handsome build. But then, there was a heartbroken look on his face when Kwangsoo introduced them to each other. “Where is Princess Jihyo?” Insung had asked the king when the latter informed him that it was Princess Somin who was going to push through with the political marriage. 

“She ran away, Insung-ssi, and as of this morning, she’s been stripped away of her titles and privileges as royalty,” Kwangsoo said calmly. The entire time Somin’s focus had been on Insung, and she saw the fleeting emotions in his eyes. She knew this man had been expecting her sister to be the tribute, and was obviously hurt that she was the one coming in Jihyo’s stead. 

She felt annoyed at Insung. She knew her sister was better than her in a multitude of ways, but if she was going to try to find happiness, then she wouldn’t seek it from a man who had already fallen for her sister. Still, being the well-mannered lady that she was, she asked him about when they were due to arrive and what the travel conditions were. Inside, she nursed hope that her failed infatuation with Insung was merely a hitch, and not an omen of what she could expect from her life in Gaya.

When Insung told her about the journey, home was the word he used, and it dawned on Princess Somin that her concept of home was going to change soon. She didn’t shed a tear on the last night she spent in the palace. She didn’t shed a tear either on her last breakfast with her brother and sister-in-law. No tears were shed either when she bid her goodbyes and saw the palace get smaller and smaller as their group moved away from the capital.

But in her hand, she clutched onto the letter the Sangdaedeung discretely handed her as she was about to board the palanquin. She opened it, and when she saw the signature, she felt a sense of comfort run through her. It was a letter from her sister; she did tell Jihyo to write, but she didn’t expect her to comply this early. 

Even as the palanquin was moving, she tried to keep her hand steady as she read every word from her sister. Jihyo seemed happy based on her letter, talking about how she and Jongkook had reached the docks after a full night of traveling. “I’m not sure what awaits us in Jindo, but you were right Somin-ah. I made the right decision to go with him. There is no fear in my heart, only an ecstatic anticipation for the future we will have together,” the letter read, and Somin smiled upon seeing the words on the parchment, and for the first time since she decided to take her sister’s place in Gaya, she allowed herself to let the tears fall. 

It somehow lightened the burden she had in her heart, and she wondered if this was how her sister felt every time she took over tasks for Somin before. Truthfully, she was rarely the selfless sibling, and while she appreciated the care Kwangsoo and Jihyo gave her, she didn’t have a lot of opportunities to be held accountable for anything. She always followed her whims and desires, but she realized that was going to stop soon. There was a different kind of happiness that washed over the sadness she had in her heart over this sacrifice she was making.

“Somin-ah, I do not know what awaits you in Gaya, but what I fervently pray is that you also find love in the arms of the man you will marry. Do not worry too much; the truth is love isn’t like any of those fairytales Mother used to tell us. In reality, love finds us in the most bizarre of ways, and much like you told me, it’s not about what fate brings to us but more about the choices we make,” her sister wrote in the letter. 

She held onto that hope, peering out the window and looking at the distant sunset. It was beautiful, and it felt heartwarming. It was probably because they were on the roads and it was a different sight from what she’d been used to in the palace, but a part of her insisted that it was also because it was symbolic of the end of her old life. 

Gone was the old Somin; she now carried a huge responsibility on her shoulder as the princess of her kingdom and as the future wife of one of the nobles in Gaya. Who he would be, she didn’t know, but she sincerely hoped for the best. 

Before Somin knew it, their group had reached Gaya. She felt excited, as the place felt a lot different from the palace she’d always known. The farthest she had been was only the village around their palace at the capital, and she never dared to venture outside of that. Insung instructed one of the servants to lead Somin to her quarters. “So you’re Princess Jihyo’s sister?” the servant asked.

Somin nodded, as the old woman continued conspiratorially, “Your sister was such a joy to host. What a smart and kind woman. I honestly thought she would be the one joining us here. Between you and me, I would’ve wanted her to marry our Doryeongnim.”

It wasn’t anything new to Somin’s ears. Jihyo had always been the subject of praise in the palace, given her charm, intelligence, and unparalleled beauty. Suitors have come for her hand from Baekje and Goguryeo, and the court on numerous occasions wanted her to take their hand in marriage. But Jihyo turned them all down, saying that she felt the match was not going to go well.

Somin, on the other hand, has not had that luxury. Aside from the fact that she was often hidden away in the palace, it was customary to wait for the eldest daughter to marry first. She liked that shield, and always believed that it would allow her to find her own love wherever it manifested. She dreamt of that moment, and had written countless songs and poems about it. 

She imagined it would fall on a spring day. A handsome man would come, and immediately she would know that he was the one for her. He would like her, and his eyes would sparkle upon catching a glimpse of her face. She would also feel sheepish upon seeing him, and her heart would race at full speed. They would meet in the middle of a garden, with cherry blossoms falling around them. 

Winter was about to come to an end, and the last reminder she was given by Insung was that he had called in the next few months as a time for the leaders of Gaya to send their noblemen to Daegaya, so that they could meet the princess and make their intentions known. If she found herself willing to accept a proposal, then the betrothal would commence into marriage. 

Somin was appreciative of this, and she couldn’t wait for spring to arrive. She felt that the stars were aligning to make her dreams come true. The hope in her heart had welled into an expectation that she would meet the man of her dreams in that season. 

A week after her arrival at Gaya, Somin had grown quite accustomed to daily life at the palace. She was allowed to go around in the morning, even to the extent of visiting the village around the palace. She was also introduced to the other daughters of the ministers in Daegaya, and due to her outgoing personality, she immediately found friends and often spent her days getting a personalized tour around the capital from Insung’s cousin, Hyeonju. 

Perhaps, her favorite adjustment was programming her late afternoons and early evenings for the recreational activities and banquets in the palace. She always felt lonely back in Silla because her family would always spend the entirety of their day with tasks, but Gaya seemed more suited to her. She enjoyed learning to play the native games of the confederacy, and she made pleasant conversation with everyone during the banquets. She also realized she was quite skilled in handling herself even with the influence of makgeolli.

She believed that all of these things were preparations for when she would meet the one destined for her. She dreamt of it at night, and shared her hopes with Hyeonju. She couldn’t wait for spring to arrive. 

 

 

“Some of the young noblemen have been sent already from their kingdoms and they’re due to arrive within the week. The others are due to come in by spring. You’ll meet all of them in the afternoon banquets,” Insung told Somin as they were taking a stroll one afternoon. 

Somin merely nodded upon hearing his words. She had entered this weird stalemate with him. It did seem that Insung was still quite heartbroken over the departure of her sister, but he was still a protective and brotherly presence around her. She had been honest with him, telling him about her fears regarding an arranged marriage, but Insung pacified her by telling her that she was under no pressure to immediately pick a man. She could go through the entire process of courtship, as long as she would decide to marry one of the Gaya noblemen who will be visiting Daegaya to meet her. 

“Insung-ssi, would you know when spring is due to arrive?” she asked him. 

He looked at her with an amused smile, “This must be the third time you asked me that question just this week. What’s with your obsession with spring?”

“It’s just… my favorite season. That’s all,” she gave an excuse, but in reality she had been counting down the days until she would get to meet the love of her life. 

“Your sister probably also liked spring, didn’t she?” Insung suddenly asked, his eyes looking far ahead wistfully. “When she was here, she seemed very fascinated with the flowers.”

Somin just listened, but admittedly it was starting to become annoying hearing all the anecdotes about her sister. All these stories were making her miss home and the comfort that Jihyo brought to her, and also, she was also beginning to cower with all the comparisons people were inadvertently throwing her way. She always knew that her sister was better than her in a lot of aspects, but being reminded of that on an almost daily basis was making her feel bad about herself. She was aware that none of these stories came from cruel intentions, but still she couldn’t help but feel inadequate and lacking when people shared their favorite anecdotes of Jihyo.

It got worse towards the end of winter. Some of the noblemen Insung talked about have arrived, and most of them were older than Somin. When they entered the Great Hall of Gaya, Somin saw the way the men’s eyes dimmed upon hearing her name being introduced. Perhaps, her sister’s fame had gotten to the other tribes, and the men obviously expected Jihyo to be there in her stead. 

Still, she soldiered on, and put on her politest smile. She didn’t need to please any of these men. The love of her life was arriving at the start of spring, and these men came in winter. She scanned their faces, and didn’t notice anything particularly amiss or eye catching either. She decided these men would be better off as her friends.

Insung did the introductions, and Somin greeted each of the men who arrived. But after meeting about a dozen of them, Somin was already on edge. No one asked about her; instead, they all inquired about her sister. Some wanted to know whether she was standing in for Princess Jihyo, while others wanted to verify some story they had heard about the woman. Either way, Somin’s resolution that none of these men would be her match was getting stronger, but it didn’t mean that she was not feeling any resentment over the obvious disinterest in her.

“And last but not the least, may I introduce, Ha Seokjin, son of Lord Ha from Goryeong Gaya,” Insung said, and Somin had to control herself, putting on the brightest smile she could muster. Insung was obviously distracted, and he excused himself, saying that something needed his attention. 

Seokjin greeted her politely, but he kept a serious look on his face, intimidating her. Unfortunately for him, Somin was at the last vestige of her patience, and the lack of a smile on his face was definitely irking her. She couldn’t hold back anymore, so she said, “Seokjin-ssi, am I really that uninteresting for you to not even be able to fake a smile upon meeting me?”

He was obviously startled by her words, and immediately tried to apologize, “I’m sorry, your highness. I was just…”

“What? You were expecting to meet Princess Jihyo instead? Well, I’m sorry. I guess I’m your only option here,” she huffed, crossing her arms defensively. Admittedly, she was also starting to feel a sense of shame and embarrassment over the last dozen conversations she’s had with her prospective suitors.

But Seokjin just looked confused, “Princess who?”

Somin’s eyes widened. This man was probably the first person who was unaware of her sister. “Princess Jihyo? My sister? The last dozen men I’ve met were expecting her so they could court her. Isn’t that why you’re here?”

There was a bit of silence on Seokjin’s part, and Somin quickly realized that this man wasn’t a verbose one. He had been quite curt with his words, often keeping his silence as he let her go on her tirades. “Well, that’s not why I’m here,” Seokjin began. “My father just sent me. I have to marry anyway, and I have to find a suitable woman. So I followed his command.”

Somin didn’t like the word choice. Suitable woman, she repeated in her head. Seokjin was obviously unromantic, and it sounded like he was on the lookout for a new horse or property to buy. Still, she valued his honesty, and a selfish part of her liked that this man had not known her sister enough to compare them. She decided he would make a good friend here.

She set the boundaries immediately. After all, spring was still bound to arrive, and she had yet to meet the perfect man for her. “That makes a lot of sense. There are plenty of women here in Daegaya…” she paused. 

She was about to call his name, but it felt weird. Seokjin looked at her curiously, so she felt compelled to explain, “I’m sorry. It’s just, you have the same name as the oldest minister we have in Silla. I mean, we called him Lord Ji, but in our heads, we always knew his name was Seokjin too. It’s just… weird to meet someone younger with the same name. It might take some time for me to get used to it, Seokjin-ssi,” she explained, punctuating it by a trial of his name. Definitely, it would take some time for her to dissociate the name with the old man from Silla she had known her entire life.

“That’s quite alright,” Seokjin still had a calm look on his face, and Somin silently wondered whether this man had other emotions other than being serene and calm.

“Anyway, I’m sure we’ll become good friends Seokjin-ssi. I can introduce you to the women I met here in Daegaya. Who knows? You might find yourself a match,” she said with a smile.

He nodded, pursing his lips together, “I would appreciate that, your highness. Thank you. I am looking forward to it.”

Somin wanted to laugh. The man was too mechanical, but he obviously needed someone’s help so he could get married. If he was this dull talking to a woman he was hardly interested in, then Somin was sure he would botch conversations with his potential wife. She had time anyway. If Insung’s calculations were right, she still had a few weeks before spring arrived. She could help Seokjin find a match before she would meet and marry the man destined for her.

She liked the idea. The routine in Gaya was becoming boring for her, and this project was definitely going to be worthwhile

 

 

“How was it? Did you like her?” Somin asked Seokjin, as she sat on a bench in her courtyard. It had been days since they met, and Somin made it her mission to introduce him to women whom she thought would be a good match for him.

He sat down, “I’m not sure Somin-ah. I think I may have offended her.”

Somin’s eyes widened, “But Yuri was such a sweet girl. How could you offend her?”

“Well, she said she liked reading, so I asked her about what she has read already, but then I realized that she had been reading books that were for children,” Seokjin answered, his eyes trained to the ground. He wasn’t going to reenact the way those words just spilled from his mouth, causing Yuri to redden in embarrassment and run away. 

“Aish, Seokjin-oppa, not everyone is as well-read as you. Why would you say something like that?” Somin said exasperatedly. Since they met, she designated the man to be her friend, specially since Hyeonju was in the middle of meeting some of her own suitors that winter. Having spent a lot of time together, Somin had gotten quite close enough with Seokjin to call him oppa, and for the past couple of days, she’d been matchmaking him with different women. Unfortunately, none of those attempts were working well for Seokjin, and Somin was getting exhausted as her list of women was immediately getting diminished. 

“Quit worrying about me,” Seokjin put his hand on Somin’s shoulder. “Shouldn’t you be talking with the other noblemen? You’re the one who has to marry someone in the coming months.”

She scoffed, “I still have a few weeks until spring arrives and then all the noblemen will be here. Surely, my destiny will be one of them. I’ll know him when I see him. You’ll see.”

He laughed, and, at first, his cynical attitude towards love and marriage had irked her. But then she already accepted that Seokjin was too practical as a person to believe in the idea of love. For him, marriage was just part of his duty as the next leader of his tribe. “Quit laughing at me. I’ll prove you wrong, you will see,” Somin said. 

He didn’t answer her, opting to keep a small smirk on his face as he continued to stare out into space. Then, he diverted the conversation, “So, what have you been doing while I was with Yuri?”

She put up her journal and quill, “Just doing a bit of writing. I don’t really have much to do. Insung-ssi had the afternoon banquet canceled because almost everyone’s attending this ceremony at the temple.”

“Why didn’t you go?” Seokjin asked, getting himself to relax and letting his arm rest on the back of the bench, his hand grazing Somin’s back. She flinched at his touch, but he didn’t seem to notice. She opted to sit more upright. 

“There would be a lot of people. Mostly old ones probably. I wasn’t really in the mood to have people ask me questions about my sister again. Plus, it would be lonely. You were with Yuri, and I haven’t seen Hyeonju since we met because she’s entertaining her own suitors at their estate,” Somin explained. 

Seokjin nodded. Somin’s sister had been a frequent character in their conversations, and he was steadily becoming more curious about her feelings about this. Somin was always a cheerful soul, quite different from Seokjin’s serious demeanor, but he enjoyed her company. A part of him felt sympathetic about Somin’s struggle, so he went along and started asking questions, “If you don’t mind me asking, why do you not like hearing about your sister?”

Her eyes widened at him, “It’s not that! I love my unnie. I really do…”

“I’m sorry,” he immediately answered. “You know how bad I am about feelings when it comes to my words. What I mean is you just seem really sad whenever you get asked about your sister.”

She breathed deeply. He wasn’t entirely wrong, and as she looked at his big brown eyes, she did see some concern there. There seemed to be no judgment, and she knew him well enough to know that his words didn’t always match what he meant to say. So she told him everything. It had been quite a while since she was able to open up to anyone about her feelings, and since she came to Gaya, she never really found anyone she could trust with this story. Even Hyeonju had been amazed by her sister, and she was scared that she would receive disdain for her discomfort in being asked about Jihyo.

Seokjin just listened to her ramble on. He kept his silence the entire time, his emotions unreadable. But he took everything in, and as he listened to her, he realized that Somin was a kind person. Princess Jihyo sounded like a stellar figure, but there was a warmth that Somin exuded. From her story, it did feel like the comparisons were unfair. 

When she was done talking about her experience in Gaya, Seokjin asked her why she was the one who took the burden of the political marriage.

Somin’s eyes quickly darkened but eventually she looked at a distance wistfully. “My unnie ran away with the man she loved. She was going to stay for my sake, and even wanted to break things off with him. But I told her to go. I didn’t have anyone in Silla anyway, but she did. It didn’t feel fair to have her leave her true love, just so I could have a chance to find mine. I don’t even know if mine exists,” she chuckled bitterly. 

This final conclusion to her story cemented Seokjin’s understanding of Somin. He smiled at her, wanting to show his appreciation. He wasn’t ever great with words and emotions, but he was truly in awe of the sacrifice that Somin had just done for her sister. It didn’t feel fair that people were still comparing her to the older princess, specially when she had been uprooted from her own kingdom because she wanted to make her sister happy.

He couldn’t resist it, so he took her hand in his, “Look, you said it yourself. You still have spring. I’m sure you’ll find a man who deserves you, Somin-ah. You probably just have to wait.”

She smiled at him, and for the first time, Seokjin felt something inexplicable inside of him. He began to notice the way her hair seemed to follow the movement of the light wind blowing around them. He was mesmerized by the fairness and smoothness of her skin, and the beautiful and cheerful smile she wore on her face. Her eyes were full of mirth and life, and suddenly he couldn’t help but get angry at all the men and women who made her feel like she was inadequate, when in this moment he had to admit she was exquisite. 

“You’re right,” Somin replied, taking her hand away from his and effectively breaking the trance Seokjin had just been in. “I just have to wait for the right man. I can’t wait to meet him…” she said as she looked up at the sky dreamily. 

Seokjin had to remove his stare from her, confused about everything he was feeling at that moment.

 

 

A week later, the sun was beginning to feel a tad bit warmer again, and the sheets of snow that once covered the palace were now replaced with traces of the morning dew, with puddles making themselves seen on the ground. The grass was starting to look greener again, and flowers were beginning to bloom. 

Spring was here, and Somin was excited as its advent also came with news from Insung that the other young noblemen were due to arrive at the palace to join the spring festivities the next day. 

She had fully adapted to life in Gaya, and knew almost everyone in the confederacy. Hyeonju had just sent off her suitors back to where they came from, declaring that she had not yet made a decision regarding her betrothal. Somin was concerned for her friend, but respected her decision and focused on her excitement that they could spend time together again. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter