Twenty-Nine: The Decision

The Princess and I
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Jihyo reached her mother’s garden, she was surprised not to find Somin. It was not a good sign, because it meant that her sister locked herself up in her own chambers. Somin rarely did this; she was too much of a free spirit, and the gardens have been her safe haven in the palace. Staying in her chambers always made her feel cooped up, that much Jihyo knew. 

The afternoon sun accompanied Jihyo in her steps as she trudged to the location of her sister. When she reached her chambers, there was a flurry of activity, as servants were walking around carrying different items around. Jihyo felt a pang of worry, wondering what Somin was doing at this moment, which caused all her servants to act this way.

She entered her chambers unannounced, and found Somin sitting on a chair, as she stared out into space and breathed deeply. The room was a bit empty, which was unusual, because Jihyo knew that her sister was quite the hoarder because of her sentimentality. Somin was eerily silent, and a lot of things seemed to be crossing her mind.

“Somin-ah!” Jihyo called her out, startling the younger princess. Somin’s eyes widened upon seeing her sister, but before she could say anything, Jihyo had already pulled her up and into a warm embrace. The older princess patted the back of her head, and rubbed her back, as Somin felt a huge rush of relief wash over her, upon realizing that her sister was back. 

“Were you worried that I was gone?” Jihyo asked, as she pulled back and cupped Somin’s cheek.

Somin was still quite stunned, and was agape when she murmured, “But I saw you run away with the commander…”

“And I came back this morning. Did you really think I was going to leave you to fend for yourself?” Jihyo asked with a teasing smile.

Somin could not process what was happening. She was sure of what she saw, and she confirmed that Jihyo was gone when she saw their brother’s efforts to conduct a search fail the previous night. Her eyebrows furrowed together, and she held onto both of her sister’s hands,  “Why did you come back?” Then, in a hushed voice, she whispered, “You already spent the night with the commander.”

“Yah! Somin-ah! What is with your and Kwangsoo’s heads?” Jihyo playfully knocked at Somin’s forehead. “Jongkook and I just went somewhere for the night. We wanted to see nature together, and talk without the scrutiny of the people in the palace. You know people would go berserk if they found out he was alive,” Jihyo explained, before sharing with Somin Jongkook’s worries, and their reasons for wanting to keep his return a secret. “But, he brought me back this morning,” she ended her story.

Somin was still confused, and she dragged Jihyo to the edge of her bed, having her sister sit beside her. “I don’t understand… So when I saw you last night, you were intending to come back?” she clarified. 

Jihyo nodded, her eyes widening in her effort to convince Somin. She didn’t understand her younger sister’s confusion. It was simple; she and Jongkook spent time together, but they were not irresponsible to leave everything behind without so much as a word to them. “Did you really think I would leave you and Kwangsoo without any warning?” she asked, looking curiously at Somin. 

“I just cannot grasp why the two of you wouldn’t run away when you already found each other…” Somin was still in a state of disbelief.

“Would you prefer that I never came back?” Jihyo asked her sister, her eyebrows raised.

Somin waved her hands to shrug off Jihyo’s insinuation, “It’s not that, unnie. But think about it. We all thought he died, and he came all the way back after surviving the war to see you. You’re already together. Why would you come back?” Her questions led her to a thought, and she grasped her older sister’s hand, looking at her worriedly, “Heavens, did he not want to stay with you? Do you not love him anymore? Is that why you’re letting each other go?”

“Yah, it’s getting too tight,” Jihyo said as she squeezed her hand out of Somin’s tight hold. Somin let her go, but the younger princess was still looking at her intently, so she answered, “We love each other, and he wants me to stay with him.” She then told Somin about his proposal to run away and live together, far away and in peace. 

“I have to admit. It was tempting at first, but I came back and saw how worried Kwangsoo was. Then I came here, and you were staring into nothing. Of course, I know what I have to do,” Jihyo said, as she cupped her cheek. 

Somin swiped Jihyo's hand away, but before the latter could complain about the former’s insolence, she dropped the words, “Unnie, I thought you were smart, but you are a fool.”

She stood up, letting her convictions pour out of her, “You already found love in the commander. Do you know how difficult it is to find someone you truly love? Look at father and Kwangsoo. They all fought for their love, and, of course, they would. Did you really think you’ll find another love like that in your lifetime? Destiny already gave him to you, and you keep giving him up!”

She started pacing now, as she continued her monologue. Jihyo was still silent, as Somin continued, “The first time, I understood it. You both decided to let each other go, and the commander was needed in the war. But, this time, unnie, he came back alive against all odds, and he came back for you. He’s offering a chance to run away with h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter