who let the kupas out?

Bullet with Butterfly Wings
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

If someone plays with your feelings, catch it and throw it right back ya'll.

Staying true to Bunny x Jeno's "I adore you" and YY's paparazzi career in the N-CITY series TT

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“Fan accounts,” Jaehyun murmured as I paced back and forth in front of him. “You know I had one with Taeyong before?”

He was not taking this seriously, both of us by the side of the arena as Jaehyun shrugged. He stared at the newly made fan accounts that were multiplying by the second. They were tagging me and Jaehyun, our social media blowing up with notifications.

He simply tightened his shoelaces and stood up.

“I know it’s good PR, Jaehyun, but—”

“Does it bother you?” he asked suddenly and I thought about it. Did it? Not really. I knew it was normal. I even had a fanaccount with my girl best friend before. “If it doesn’t, why are you so worried?”

“Because you…”

“I’m not bothered by it,” he told me, waving a hand. “We spend time together, Nabi. People are going to talk. Besides, we’re always together.”

He was definitely very chill, Jaehyun turning and giving me a wink.

“I just don’t want you to be pressured into doing anything you don’t want to do. With me,” I told him. Some people faced the pressure of actually acting like a couple and I would hate it if it happened to Jaehyun. He shook his head.

“I assure you, Park Nabi, that anything I do with you will be because I want to.” He smiled, a hand going to grab mine as he lifted it up to his lips.

I smiled back, Jaehyun’s hand lingering on mine when I snatched it back.

“Race you to the bottom lane?” I asked, Jaehyun laughing as he nodded.

“Race you.”

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

37.5% RATING HAECHAN CAM

An eye can be seen through the camera before the person steps back. Haechan squints at the lens, the male tilting his head before he reaches over and adjusts it, giving a thumbs up to show that it was set and ready. The camera focuses on Haechan when it’s set down and a girl appears from the side to clip on a microphone onto his shirt.

Haechan: Is it working? Okay. [nods and turns back to the camera, flashes a smile] Hello, everybody. Welcome to 37.5% rating Haechan Cam. Today, I have a new intern from our PR team with me. What’s your name?

Silence and Haechan chuckles, pointing at the camera.

Haechan: She’s holding the camera right now but she refuses to tell us her name for privacy purposes. So I shall call her KBS- K.B.S for Korean Broadcasting Station. How does that sound? So, KBS, what do we have today for the viewers?
KBS: Our purpose is to show the viewers the relationships within the NCT Center.
Haechan: [snaps fingers] That is correct. [begins to walk down the hall] NCT Center prides itself in close relationships between the Control Center, Players, both creature and games masters, and all the other subunits in the NCT Center. KBS, what is the one thing you enjoy about…. Working for the PR team?
KBS: I get to put my journalist skills to the test and report on the little things that happen in the center. Legally, of course. [camera shakes]
Haechan: [chuckles] Now that I’m here to host the show, what better way to use this time to welcome our new student? I think NCT Center’s viewers on our channel are curious… How is Park Nabi doing? New York’s Butterfly as everyone calls her. Let’s find out!

Haechan starts running, KBS trying to follow him. Pants can be heard, Haechan digging his feet onto the ground as he spots her walking down the hallway with her backpack.

Haechan: Nabi Noona! Nabi Noona!
Nabi: [blinks and spots the camera, lifts a hand to point at it] Uh…
Haechan: Nabi Noona! Welcome to 37.5% rating Haechan Cam! [throws arm around her] Today, we’re trying to show the viewers how… the vibe is like in NCT Center. Since you are new, what are some things you’ve got to say about NCT Center?
Nabi: Good.
Haechan: Noona!
Nabi: What?
Haechan: [whispers to her] Say more…
Nabi: Great?
Haechan: [stares at her]
KBS: [laughs] How about you both walk and talk? Where are you heading to, unnie?
Nabi: I’m heading over to the area. I have training with the rest.
Haechan: How about you answer some questions while we walk? Question one! Who do you think the best Fighter is?
Nabi: Hendery.
Haechan: [stares at her] Wow, you did not hesitate.
Nabi: Oh.
Haechan: Whatever. If you could describe Nakamoto Yuta in one word--
Nabi: Aggressive.
Haechan: If you were stuck in an island, who would you want with you? [points at self eagerly]
Nabi: You’d eat me if you were hungry.
Haechan: [pauses] True.
Nabi: I’d say Kim Doyoung.
Haechan: Best friend in NCT Center?
Nabi: None.
Haechan: Noona!
Nabi: Fine. Jung Jaehyun. Only here, though.

Haechan raises a hand to pause the segment when he sees KBS mouthing to him, the male stepping forward to listen to her. She whispers something inaudible, Haechan covering the microphone when he nodded and gives her a thumbs up.

Haechan: Alright. Noona, have you ever heard of TIKTOK? So today, for this segment we want you to make multiple TikTok's with some of our teammates. The TikTok is: Give your friend your hand without saying anything and see what they do.
Nabi: Isn’t that supposed to be done with your pet?
Haechan: [slowly reaches out and gives her his hand]
Nabi: [stares at it]
Haechan: [takes his hand back] And that is how you do the TIKTOK, everyone! Let’s go, Noona. First-person you should start off with is our very own Kim Bunny. Where is she?

All three of them reach the benches, Haechan points over to Kim Bunny. He calls her over, the female bouncing over with her pigtails going back and forth. She stops in front of the camera and beams.

Haechan: Kim Bunny.
Bunny: Yeah???
Haechan: So…
Bunny: YEAH! [eyes the camera excitedly]
Haechan: [nudges Nabi]
Nabi: [reaches her hand out to Bunny]
Bunny: [looks down at the hand before she looks up and breaks into a smile,] Aw, unnie! [hops forward and hugs her] I love you, too!
Haechan: [laughs] Alright, and that was Kim Bunny, everyone.
Bunny: And I love you and you and you! Mini-heart for you! [beams and hugs KBS, the camera shakes, turns to hug Haechan who side steps her] Aw, man!
Haechan: Next person… Lee Jeno.
Bunny: [face falls] I’m leaving. [stalks away]

Haechan motions her over to the bleachers, Jeno and Jaemin sitting beside each other. Jaemin recognizes the camera and smiles, waving at KBS who waves back. Jeno looks away.

Nabi: [sighs and leans forward, trying to give her hand to Jeno who stares at it]
Jaemin: [blinks and glances at Jeno when he reaches out and takes Nabi’s hand, shakes it] Hi, Noona!
Haechan: Cut the camera, deadass. Lee Jeno, you cold… cold man.
Jeno: [glares at him] What?
Haechan: [glares back] Alright, last but not least! The one and only…. Jung Jaehyun! Where is he?

Spots Jung Jaehyun sitting with Kim Jungwoo and Nakamoto Yuta. Jaehyun is shoving his feet into his shoes when he looks up and sees Nabi.

Nabi: [reaches out and gives him her hand]
Jaehyun: Give me a moment. [ties his shoelace and looks at her hand then to her] Is there something wrong?
Nabi: [blinks]
Jaehyun: [softly grabs her hand, looking confused] I’m confused. Are you hurt? [turns her palm towards him to study it]
Nabi: [shakes her head]
Jaehyun: Oh. [rubs the back of her hand and leans down to give it a small kiss] There you go.
Haechan: And that is the end of the segment for 37.5% rating only from NCT Center’s PR department. Your host for today, Lee Haechan. [bows] The camerawoman and intern. [grabs the camera and turns it to the female, KBS smiling before bowing]

Haechan turns the camera back to himself, lifting up a peace sign.

Haechan: See you next episode!

Screen turns black.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Park Jisung had a small problem. No, it was big problem for him. He couldn’t tell his sister about his problem because he knew what she would say. She wasn’t the type to understand where he was coming from so instead, he stood in front of his partner and best friend, pacing back and forth.

“They are going to send Smiley to Australia!” Jisung said for the nth time and Chenle nodded.

Chenle never judged him. Chenle was never that way. Chenle understood very clearly what Jisung was going through. NCT Center had gotten a new batch of mature kupas so they were sending all the kupas back to Australia to train them until they could be played in national games.

But Jisung was attached to this particular kupa and he refused to let them go. The staff told him that all kupas were the same but that was not true. Jisung could not let Smiley go.

“What to do, Chenle?” he cried, Chenle reaching over to pat Jisung on the shoulder. “They are going to send them away today.”

Chenle, the little troublemaker, always had something up his sleeve. He knew that if Smiley were to be taken away, Jisung wouldn’t shut up about it. Both of them, being partners, were accountable for each other’s success. If Jisung could not play, Chenle would face the possibility of both of them going back down to Grandmaster.

They just got into EPIC I.

So Chenle suggested the riskiest (but not impossible) thing to do and that was to steal Smiley away from the creature cage. They would keep Smiley with Jisung. No one would know! Jisung can hide Smiley in the dorms and if they snuck around enough, everything would be fine. Jisung would be able to keep Smiley as a pet and train with another kupa.

“So… we go to the creature cage and take Smiley before they send them away?” Jisung asked, Chenle nodding. He was adamant it’d work. Why wouldn’t it? It was an in and out mission. Jisung had no idea what he’d do after he stole Smiley back but he’d cross that bridge once he gets there.

Jisung and Chenle made their way over to the creature cage, their eyes skating over the area for any potential threats that may stop them from the rescue mission of Smiley. The only person they saw was Jung Jaehyun, the male throwing up worms for Fred. He always had a soft spot for the creatures and Jisung studied his sister’s partner before he and Chenle slipped deeper into the creature cage.

Jaehyun thought he had seen a shadow cast in the entrance but he guessed he was wrong, the male throwing up a bucket of worms as he began to climb Fred. There was a rustle from the minions before he reached Fred’s shoulder and checked his phone.

Nabi: The Scouters are here for the young grandmasters
Nabi: Will call you after I’m done

Jung Jaehyun smiled, sending her a thumbs up before pocketing back his phone. Jaehyun bit down on his lower lip, leaning against Fred’s warm body as he thought of Nabi. She was so predictable and he was… him. How she handled him was beyond him. They were getting closer by second, Jaehyun trying to wiggle his way through to her heart.

He sighed, deep in thought.

At first, he thought the rumors would get to her but weirdly she did not hold back. Accepted him with open arms. At times, she scared him. How was it that she could do the things she did without feeling anything? Jaehyun could count the times his heart raced when she reciprocated whatever he did first. 

Jaeyun shook his head. Nah, it would impossible to fall for someone like Park Nabi. She’d be a great friend but a girlfriend? Jung Jaehyun shuddered at the thought. He did like Park Nabi. She was a great girl, cool and composed but she did not blush when he’d crack romantic jokes. She wouldn’t flinch but snap at him instead.

Jaehyun kicked his legs, wincing when he realized how high up he was when a thought consumed him. Oh Dana had said one day that he was a player but Jaehyun always thought that he was desensitized to love. He never—not once tried to bed the women he tried to charm.

And maybe, along the process, he did feel something for them. A lingering feeling of care and affection but he’d never let himself stray deeper into the feeling… would he? He’d catapult himself back, Jaehyun desperately placing distance between them and him.

It wouldn’t be any different for him and Nabi.

Jaehyun getting lost in his own thoughts served good for Park Jisung and Zhong Chenle who was right by the kupa cage, their eyes trying to find out where Smiley was. Smiley was there, the kupa slobbering and pouncing against the front of the cage when she spotted Jisung, her master’s frown turning into a pout.

“Okay, we got her. Let’s bring her out.” Chenle unlocked the cage, the male trying to fit himself through the small space when one step into the cage, he was attacked. Kupas were known to be aggressive. Not in a bad way, Jisung once said. In this situation, it was quite bad.

The kupas had nibbed at Chenle’s leg, taking him by surprise when the male fell backwards. The cage door opened and the kupas pounced out of the cage, Jisung’s eyes widening when he saw them rush all over the creature cage.

Jung Jaehyun had fallen asleep on Fred, he had no idea what was happening. His ears were plugged in with his earphones, the sound of classical music playing to sooth his nerves. Jisung and Chenle were in war, trying to get hold of Smiley who joined in on the party, thinking ‘What fun! Humans to attack!’.

The kupas then made their way to empty slots from under the arena.

Nabi was in the arena just as she told Jung Jaehyun, her bow in her hand. In the viewing room, Headmaster Kyungsoo and the Scouters were in deep conversation. The grandmasters were showcasing their skills in case they would be bought by other training centers and Nabi nodded. All of them were potential marksmen.

She cleared , showing them how she aimed when the lights by the wall turned green.

“Alright. Once the monster comes out, it’s second skill first.” She put her bow on standby. “It makes their health go down faster. You stun them and then your first skill comes second. That is the basic gameplay. Look,” she said when the panels on the ground opened to push up the monster that would be able to teach the grandmasters but came none.

Instead, two kupas were there.

And they attacked her.

Nabi yelped, feeling the kupas pounce on all the grandmasters. Her juniors began to screech and Nabi rolled on the ground, seeing that the other panels had opened and instead of monsters, the kupas showed up.

Kyungsoo stood up, watching as the kupas began to snarl (thinking that they were doing their job, of course, they were trained to do so.). How embarrassing, he thought. The Scouters asked him what happened.

Rushing to the door, he pulled a lever to shut the arena down before going to the microphone.

“Who let the kupas out?!” he roared.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“It wasn’t me!” Jaehyun exclaimed, Kyungsoo pacing back and forth in front of Jaehyun. “I was literally sleeping. With Fred!”

Jung Jaehyun, as clean-cut and respectable as he looked, did not have a good track record. Stealer of hearts and NCT Center’s very own Robin Hood of favors, he had a history of doing things that were quite questionable.

He loved his friends and he enjoyed getting into trouble simply because he knew he’d get away with it. Student by day, living vicariously through his really bad decisions by night. Needless to say, everyone would blame Jaehyun if something ever went wrong.

One time, he had pulled the fire alarm when Nakamoto Yuta called him and asked him to. He and Aera were still keeping the relationship a secret so when a couple of interns almost caught them in the Control Center, Jaehyun came to the rescue.

He was caught.

The second time, he had helped Ten run away from the Center after curfew because Ten wanted to see his sick cat.

He was caught again.

As time passed, everyone knew that Jaehyun did those things and they also knew he was doing it for his friends. Did they ask why? Never. All they did was punish him.

“Fred has covered for you before,” Kyungsoo told Jaehyun who rubbed his forehead. “The Scouters were there!”

“Headmaster, I did not do it! If I did, I would admit to it!” Jaehyun insisted and Kyungsoo paused. That was true, too. However, he couldn’t allow Jaehyun to simply walk free.

The first time they punished him, Jaehyun had to run extra rounds. Turned out he was okay with it. The second time, they sent him to community service. He loved it and went back on his own. Willingly. His punishment was personalized now.

“Hand it over, Jaehyun,” Kyungsoo said, opening his palm to Jaehyun.

“What?” Jaehyun quirked up an eyebrow. “What?”

“Hand it over. One week without your phone and laptop.”

Jung Jaehyun could not live without his phone and laptop. Absolutely. Nada. He would go crazy. They found that out recently and they have been using it against him. Jaehyun knew that he had no say in it.

“I did not do it.”

“But someone did and I hope that someone feels bad for you having to take the fall.”

“I bet that someone is simply rejoicing right now,” Jaehyun murmured, feeling for his phone. He hoped Kyungsoo would forget the laptop but he did not and he saw the alien receptionist come in with his blue laptop. Jaehyun scowled.

“Alright, Jaehyun. Come get it in a week. Unless you find out who really did it,” Kyungsoo told him, a twinkle in his eye.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

After the Scouters left, I stood waiting for Jaehyun in front of the office. He came out looking defeated and pissed, Jaehyun spotting me as he stalked towards me. Slinging an arm over my shoulder, he groaned. I reached up and patted his hand softly, asking him what happened.

“They took my phone. Took my phone and laptop for something I didn’t even do,” he said and I shrugged.

“That seems fine. It’s just your phone and your laptop,” I told him and he stared at me. “…Is it not?”

“No?” he said, looking at me like I said something so preposterous. “How am I going to check my social media?”

“Do you have to?” I asked. I then learned that Jaehyun actually was vain—in a very funny way. He did speak to the president of his fan clubs and they were nice enough to always ask him before they posted a photo. “Jaehyun, it’s just a week.”

“You don’t understand, Nabi,” he snapped and I blinked, surprised and how hard his voice came out. I lifted a hand in the air, stepping away from him when he reached for me. “Sorry, sorry! Come back. It’s just… I didn’t do it.”

“You didn’t?” I asked. I heard from Yuta about Jaehyun’s antics and thought he had someone to help. I understood how unfair it was for him if he didn’t actually do it. He nodded, his eyebrows knitting into a frown before he grabbed my arm and pulled me back, Jaehyun tightening his arm around my neck. “If you didn’t do it, who did?”

“I know who,” he murmured under his breath. “But I’ll deal with him later. I’m sure he wouldn’t want you to know.”

He said the last part softly, I had to lean closer to hear him. I decided not to pry, seeing Jung Jaehyun run a tongue over his teeth before he made a face. He was in a foul mood and I could tell. I had to head to the library and Jaehyun, like a child, simply slumped on the extra couch as he waited for me to check out the books I wanted to read.

“Maybe you need to pick up reading,” I told him, looking over to see him with a book on his head. He was throwing a silent tantrum, his eyes strained on an empty spot on the floor. That was how we ended up on the couch, Jaehyun’s head on my lap as I began to read him poetry.

“Nature’s first green is gold,” I recited. “Her hardest hue to hold. Her early leaf’s a flower, but only so an hour.”

Jaehyun’s eyes were closed as he listened to me.

“So Eden sank in grief, so dawn goes down to day. Nothing gold can stay.”

“What does it mean?” he asked suddenly and I closed the book, looking down at him. “Nature’s first green is gold. Eden sank in grief. It’s about human losing nature, isn’t it?”

“Mhm, maybe. We did some questionable things to our planet,” I told him before I thought back to the last line. “Nothing gold can stay. We used to put so much value in gold before, you know? I heard humans used to wear them as necklaces and rings.”

Jaehyun’s eyes opened. “Nothing gold can stay. Sounds like something I would say when something good is taken away from me.”

I nodded. “Bad times don’t last. Good times don’t either—”

Jaehyun up suddenly and my words were cut off, his face right in front of mine. His nose brushed against mine and I blinked, Jaehyun tilting his head slowly. If he leaned closer, we’d be kissing. It was a bubbling sensation, Jaehyun not moving away.

I searched his eyes.

It was hard to read someone like Jaehyun. He wasn’t cold but he did make me feel like he was hiding behind a façade. I did not back away, instead I did what I did best and tuned myself into his eyes. I studied the specks in his pupils, the length of his eyelashes the small lines near his outer corner.

Then his ears. My fingers danced over his neck, a hand rubbing his ears that were turning red. Heat. He felt hot and before I could ask him why he was heating up; he had dropped his head down onto my chest and curled his body up, mumbling. It was normal for Jaehyun to suddenly manhandle me into a hug.

We had broken that barrier in the Light Pit. He then asked a question.

“Can I use your phone?”

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I should not have allowed Jung Jaehyun to use my phone because after he had logged into his account, it was like he was the happiest man alive. Not once did he leave my side, my phone tucked away in his pocket instead of mine. I was not one for social media—not as much as Jaehyun, at least.

“This picture or this picture?” he asked, falling into a seat beside me in class. We had to study a few more chapters on alien history and maybe the classification of aliens. One day, if we didn’t make it as Legend players, we could always end up in the Battle of Peril council. Finding inspiration for new characters.

“They look the same, Jaehyun.” I reached for my phone, Jaehyun scooting closer to look over my shoulder to see what I was doing. I went into my account, scrolling with Jaehyun’s head resting on my shoulder. “Did you talk to the person who let the kupas out?”

“I did,” he murmured. “Last night. Got bitten.”

“By the person?” I asked, frowning. He shook his head.

“No, by a kupa.”

“You met the person by the kupa cage?”

“No, the old batch of kupas were shipped to Australia a day ago,” he told me. I had no idea what he was talking about, struggling to understand. How was that he was bitten by a kupa if most of the kupas were shipped to Australia? He looked up and must have seen the confused look on my face.

“You mean you were bitten by the new batch of kupas?” I asked, trying to clarify what he was saying.

“No, it was a kupa from the old batch,” he replied but I still did not get it. “I got bitten by a kupa from the old batch when I confronted the person—the people,” he corrected, “in their room.”

“Why would a kupa from the old batch still be here in Korea and in a dorm roo—Park Jisung!” I gasped, Jaehyun letting out a laugh as he leaned back. “My brother?!”

“Yes, your brother thought it was smart to try to save one kupa. He’s keeping Smiley in his room, though. Don’t get mad at him, he just has attachment issues,” Jaehyun told me and my shoulders relaxed.

“Maybe it’s good you took the fall,” I told him, touching his chin when there was a sound of footsteps. The glare I got from him was short-lived when we both heard footsteps, the voice of Haechan echoing from the hallways when he lifted his phone up in the air.

“Did you guys see?” he asked. Nakamoto Yuta massaged the back of his neck. He was just taking a nap, the male woken up from the sound. “Did you see the account that’s on Instagram?”

Jaehyun grumbled about not having his phone at the wrong time, my partner trying to grab the device when I held it out, shaking my head at him. Time out, Jaehyun. He scrunched his nose up at me and I wagged a finger at him before I unlocked my phone to check Instagram.

“Everyone check the account, it got like… 8000 followers overnight. @BlackShadow,” Haechan said, his eyes falling on me. “Nabi noona, Jaehyun hyung! You both are in for a treat.”

I went to the instagram account. Haechan was right. 8000 followers overnight… nearing 9000 soon and there were eight photos. It started off with a photo of me and Jaehyun in the library. I was holding a book and he had his head on my lap.

This was taken a few days ago. Someone took a photo of Jaehyun and me in the Light Pit, too. We just thought that it was someone who was passing by. These photos were recent, however. Jaehyun when he left the office and had his arm around my shoulders.

The other photos were of Mark. Mark was sleeping in one of the bushes. Who was taking these photos?

“Whoever this Black Shadow is, he’s getting really bold,” Jungwoo said when I saw that he also had a photo. It was of him when he was leaving the infirmary, his hand already healed. “Is this why my fans knew I would be going back to the arena soon?”

“Maybe,” Renjun said. Renjun did not speak much but when he did, he usually said something enlightening. “I bet it’s one of us.”

Silence settled in the room and I looked around, Jaehyun’s dimples showing as he fell deep into thought. Nothing posted on the account was big news yet but it was a little dangerous. We would always be on our toes, wondering if someone was breaching our privacy.

After a few moments of bickering and saying it might be one of the grandmasters, Haechan rolled his eyes and said that if Mr. Black Shadow dare post anything of him, he’d definitely get it.

“How’d you know it’s a guy?” Dana asked, crossing her legs.

“There are only three girls in EPIC, Noona,” Haechan pointed out. “Nabi noona doesn’t even touch her phone. Jaehyun hyung….”

They all looked at Jaehyun and he raised his hands in the air. He told them that he didn’t have his phone and he was in the photos. Right, everyone murmured.

“And Bunny can’t take photos for . Look, this is the photo she took of me when we went to Paris,” Haechan said, showing us a photo. It was just a blurred blob. “She took twenty pictures of this.”

“You kept moving!” Bunny growled, baring her teeth.

“I was not moving. You were trembling,” Haechan told her, the two best friends bickering.

“Definitely no one from the control center,” Doyoung said from the side. I had forgotten that he was there. “You can remove Johnny, Xiaojun, and Kun. We control center people don’t have time to breathe. What makes you think that we have time to go around taking such photos?”

“Please, anyone can. Let’s not single anyone out yet,” Lucas said when Jisung and Chenle walked in, confused as to why we were all standing. I glared at Jisung, taking a mental note to yell at him when night falls.

Our conversation was interrupted when Professor Yunho walked in with a textbook. He was a retired Legend player and we all bowed, the male starting class. The Instagram topic was pushed away for a moment and I had forgotten about it when class ended.

Jisung got it after class, the male breaking into tears as I eyed Smiley who was tied to his bedpost. Jaehyun was sitting down on Chenle’s computer, clicking away as he waited for me. I had my arms crossed across my chest and Jisung sniffled.

“I love Smiley so much,” Jisung whispered and I sighed, deciding that there was nothing I could do. After a bit of yelling and then a lot of comforting, I told him that he’d have to take responsibility if he got caught. He promised that he would.

I left Jisung’s room feeling heavy. I knew I would worry about Jisung and I wondered what the punishments were if they found out it was him who let the kupas out when a hand grabbed my waist. I jumped, Jaehyun turning me towards his chest.

“Let me stay with you tonight.”

He said it so quickly and if I wasn’t fazed before this, I was fazed now.

“What?”

“Let me stay with you tonight.”

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“Let me stay with you tonight.”

She didn’t say anything but her pupils shook and her shoulders tensed for a moment. She then relaxed, Nabi rolling her eyes.

“Do you need a phone that bad?” she asked and Jaehyun blinked. He had forgotten about his phone, his head tilting to the side when he realized she thought that he wanted her phone. She chuckled and Jaehyun told himself that this was good that she thought that way.

They walked beside each other, Jaehyun pursing his lips when she sighed.

“You can come and hang out in my room but leave when I tell you to,” she told him and he broke into a smile. He invited her to his room, Taeyong greeting her. The two were roommates, Taeyong leaving the room to go for his run.

Jaehyun took a shower, reminding himself that she was just another girl. He could almost hear Dana’s voice in his head: Who do you think you are, collecting your jar or hearts? Some old song, Jaehyun. But it suits you. Everything about it suits you.

Jaehyun did not fall in love but he was addicted to the chase. It was just that.

He was addicted to trying to make them fall in love with him and leaving. The feeling of being wanted was a drug paired up with him being indecisive and insecure. Nabi would be a hard one to break.

Jaehyun was not a good man, but he wasn’t the worst. He kept telling himself that. While Nabi was simple, someone who knew what she wanted… Jaehyun was the exact opposite. Did he want to break her, though? He thought to himself that she was one of the best partners he had, playing along with him when he wanted her to. 

“Done,” he had announced, Jaehyun walking out of the bathroom and rubbing his hair with a towel. She had her eyes on a board. Pictures of Taeyong and him, him and his friends… Nabi had a small smile on her face when he pointed.

It was an old photo of him and Yena. He had his arm around her shoulders, the way he would do with Nabi. He immediately regretted putting the photo up as Nabi’s eyes ran over the many images plastered on the board.

“Keeping count on the girls who fall in love with you?” she asked casually, Jaehyun noticing that she was studying the photos closely. He sighed, hanging the towel. “That was supposed to be a joke.”

He didn’t like her joking about it. It was true but it still felt like an attack. He cleared his throat, shrugging.

“She’s pretty. Where is she now?”

“She moved,” Jaehyun said. He had placed Yena’s photo in the middle of the board. It was the first thing he saw when he entered the room. It was a constant reminder, a jab to the heart and Jaehyun was one to hold grudges. “Don’t know where to.”

That was a lie. He knew where she moved to, which center took her in, her current rank.

“And this girl?”

“Hayoung. No idea where she is now either,” he said. Now that, was true. Everyone after Yena, he hardly kept up with them. A passing phase. Another girl to add to the list. 

Nabi nodded, looking over to him.

“Done? Let’s go?” she asked and he nodded, thinking to himself if he should even go through with it. He then told himself that he had never second-guessed his own actions before, why would he do so now? Jaehyun couldn’t make himself do it, his feet stopping by the door.

“I’m sleepy,” he said suddenly and she nodded. But even if his feet froze, his hand did not let her go. Nabi had a knowing smile on her face, the female quirking an eyebrow.

“Did I hit a sore spot?” she asked and Jaehyun tilted his head at her.

“No,” he finally said. “You didn’t.”

He was lying and she knew it, his ears turning red. She stepped closer, Jaehyun becoming flustered. He took one step backwards, both of them entering the room. For someone who was so rigid, he saw a flash of crazy in her eyes.

And then it hit him. Nabi was the type of person you’d never really understand. Didn’t matter how many years you knew her; she was someone who hid behind a façade of simplicity. She was quiet and she was calm but she was also the type to smack you across the face when you least expected it. She was a planner and a woman who demanded to be respected.

If she thought that he was playing with her feelings, he’d be in deep .

And he was a hundred percent certain that she felt that way.

Was he leading her on? Of course. But at this moment, he wondered if this was her catching the ball and throwing it back. One-stop closer, Nabi lifting her lips. So close yet so far, Jaehyun thought to himself.

“I don’t know what you’re trying to do, Jaehyun,” she began, a hand caressing his cheek. “And I don’t know why you’re doing it.”

There it was, the honesty and the tone that she often used with him when she was scolding him. He just never expected her to use it on him with her lips an inch away from his. But if kissing her would be his punishment, Jaehyun would gladly take it.

“But women are not around for you to make yourself feel like a man,” she said. “I know you’re not genuine—”

Her words were cut off when he covered her lips with his, his tongue swiping down on her bottom lip. She didn’t seem surprised, Nabi giving in to him as she kissed him back. Jaehyun felt her knees against his legs, Jaehyun catching her when she let go of her weight.

His hands her hair, Jaehyun trying not to drown in the feeling too fast. Despite her telling him that he wasn’t genuine, the kiss was. Jaehyun had to physically pry himself away from her, his heart ringing in his ears. He kissed her collarbone, her neck then back to her lips but she was stronger than he could ever be.

Her hand pressed against his lips, stopping him.

“I know you’re not genuine,” she repeated. “But the thing is I’m not either.”

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I liked Jaehyun as a person but it was people like him who deserved to get his heart broken. I was a believer of karma but I also believed that some people could be karma. I might as well be his. I walked down the hallway, shaking my head.

Oh, Jung Jaehyun. What gives you the right to do what you do?

My mind went to a conversation with Jungwoo a few days ago, the male telling me about Kim Yena. Jaehyun’s first partner. All I got from that conversation was that he fell in love with her and she left him in the dust.

I sighed when I reached my room. Jaehyun looked so lost but sin was a sin and two wrongs don’t make a right. Stepping into the room, I saw Yahoo reading something on her laptop.

“An email?” I asked, Yahoo giving me a small nod with a small smile on her lips. “What did Jaemin say?”

She wordlessly passed me the laptop and I sat on her bed, crossing my legs before I read the email. A recollection of his day. Haechan telling everyone about Instagram. Jeno coming home late then I reached the bottom.

I bet you’re smiling right now, Yahoo. I know you all too well.

I guess this is good too, huh? I’m never lonely when I think of you. Thinking about it, I’ve never been this jealous of the people who get to see you. I bet Nabi noona agrees, don’t you think? I sometimes hate that I’m not in your inner circle when

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter