prologue: new york's butterfly

Bullet with Butterfly Wings
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Year 4050, United States of America, New York. East Coast Training Center.

 

We were all called out to the gymnasium early morning. News has spread that the East Coast Training Center would be shut down. Previous allegations that our arena and the control center were rigged were proven and now, students of the East Coast Training Center were told to get ready. Most of us are from other countries, bought by the school to be trained into Legend players. We had to be prepared to be sent back.

I watched people file into the gymnasium. Assassins on the left, then Fighters and Tanks. Right beside the tanks were Marksmen and Mages. My forehead knitted with worry even if I knew what was going to happen.

“You look worried,” a voice said and I flickered my eyes over to the male, my friend cracking a grin. “You’re going to be sent back to Korea. Why are you worried? I heard your father decided to move you to the same school your brother is training in.”

“I’ll be called a Neo, Asher,” I murmured. He raised an eyebrow. “Neo Culture Training Center. Jisung told me they are called Neo’s.”

“Nabi, being called a Neo sounds way better than being called a Bald Eagle. I know it’s America but we could have had a better nickname…” His voice trailed. Asher sighed. “I can’t believe we’re going to be sent back to our countries if no other center buys us. I’ve been training for so long.”

“Someone will pick you,” I told him, the male looking down. “The Scouters said you seemed like a promising player.”

My eyes focused on the front to see our Headmaster. Her skin glowed a certain sheen of glittery blue and she looked distraught. My eyes settled on the PowerPoint behind her, the female alien telling us that we had a bright future ahead of us. A memory of my first day flashed through my mind, the day I set foot in this training center.

We were always taught of the history of how this sport came to be.

Five hundred years ago, a space ship had crashed onto Earth. Earth was said to be dying, with the pollution and the lack of sustainability of new resources. But if humans thought that their planet was dying, the aliens had no planet at all.

A meteor had crashed into their place called home and exploded. They were fast, however, and were able to bring the habitants of their planet onto a big space ship before trying to find a new planet to live in.

Earth accepted the aliens with open arms and that was when the co-existence between humans and aliens began. There were many species and from then and now, a lot of them had evolved.

I heard it started off as a mobile game—people playing it through the screens. The origin of the Battle of Peril began when the aliens came and watched the Olympics. Back in the day, we had such mediocre games. Pingpong? Basketball? Was it baseball?

They weren’t very impressed, not understanding the concept of such repetitive competitions. They were in awe, however, at the technology that we possessed. They had similar devices too, but while our devices fed off on electricity, they brought in technology of their own.

From Mobile Legends, it then became real-live action. It was no longer through the screen but players were trained in training centers, starting from such a young age. Sometimes handpicked, sometimes trying to audition in. Basic characters were made, sometimes differing from different countries and every year the countries would fight to be the last standing.

The Battle of Peril was an international competition and last year, America had gotten third place. The star team was put together from the East Coast Training Center. My center. Well, my center no more since it was proven that the control center was rigged and there was corruption and bribery.

“My father pulled some strings. He and my mother are alma maters of that training center,” I told Asher.

“I heard. He played for Seoul games, didn’t he?”

“Mhm. Both Marksmen.”

“You and Jisung are legacies, Nabi. You’ll make it. You’re one of the best.”

I hummed, watching our headmaster break down into tears. Poor her. Humans and their greed.

The speech ended and a dull clap echoed through the gymnasium. It was time to pack our bags and I took one look around the place, going away from the bustling of other students. Some were ecstatic they would be going back to their countries; some were furious and some were concerned that they wouldn’t make it as a player.

I sighed, chewing on my bottom lip when a hand touched my shoulder and I jumped, whipping my head around to see my ex-boyfriend.

Ji Hansol.

“You’re heading back to Korea,” he said and I nodded.

Hansol and I were called the perfect duo, in and out of the arena. He played an assassin and I was a Marksman—we were the perfect match for two people who had impeccable skills and fast reflexes.

He, however, had an assassin mindset and it hardly ever worked with a large team. Everyone in my team hated him. Ditch and kill, he used to tell me. He’d steal kills and leave. It got too much, our team deciding to petition to kick him out.

It was hard for me because I was his girlfriend but it came to the point I couldn’t handle it anymore.

He had led the other team to me when I was hiding in the bushes, the male using me to bait them as I was outnumbered and killed. He let them gank me to save himself. I broke up with him that day.

“You know I had to do it,” Hansol begun as I shoved my suit into my bag. I wouldn’t be needing it but it held so many memories. “Nabi, you know the scouters were there. They were watching.”

I zipped up my bag, Hansol grabbing my wrist to make me look at him but I swatted it away.

“I have to become a Legend Player, Nabi. You… You know that it’s either I graduate from Epic and become Legend or I go home and become a lawyer. I can’t—”

“Hansol,” I began, turning to look at him. “The goal was to graduate together. As a team. That’s what the scouters want. Was it worth it? Are you a Legend Player now?”

“I was bought by a training center in Russia,” he suddenly said and even if that was a good thing, I knew it wasn’t what he wanted.

“Good for you,” I answered, turning on my heel and walking away. I loved Hansol but I knew I could never be with someone like him. As pissed off at him as I was, I prayed for the best for him.

In the end, this industry was hard to survive in.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

[Airport]

Jisung: Noona????
Jisung: Noona, this is the commercial video of NCT Center
Jisung: We’re called Neos
Nabi: I know. You told me.
Jisung: So so so happy ur going to be here noona
Jisung: We can train together
Jisung: Are you here now noona?
Nabi: Jisung, I just reached the airport
Jisung: Okay
Jisung: sososo happy

I began to check in, giving the little luggage I have when I felt a tap on my shoulder. Turning around, I saw a young boy look up at me nervously and I lowered my phone. He had Battle of Peril merch and his phone case was a photo of one of the characters that was only played in China.

“S-Sorry… Are you Nabi Park?” he asked, gulping and I nodded slowly. “Oh, I’m a… I’m a big fan. I’m a big fan of you and Hansol. The game you played a couple of weeks ago at the Arena of WeiXian in China was amazing and I—” He gasped, looking more and more starstruck and I wanted to tell him to take a breather. “You’re great together. Can I… Can I take a photo of—”

“Sure.” I smiled kindly at him, leaning forward. He snapped a photo, his hands shaking. “Thank you for watching us play.”

“Uh… I heard about them shutting down East Coast Training Center. Does this mean you’re retiring even before you become a Legend Player?” he asked. His eyes widened and he began to stutter, telling me that I didn’t have to answer the question.

“It’s fine.” I waved a hand. “No, I’ve been reallocated. Going to train under Neo Culture Training Center for the mean time and hopefully I get to graduate to Legend this year. Uh…” I could see the hope in his eyes, the male clasping his hands together. “Hansol is not coming with me.”

He gasped again, a hand going to cover his lips.

“Is he retiring?”

“Oh no. Not at all.” He relaxed at my words. “He was bought by another training center in Russia. I hope you continue to support him, too.”

“Definitely but… Does this mean you both might have to play against each other one day?”

“It is a possibility, yes.”

Third gasp, the male biting down on his lower lip. After checking in, I sat down and thought about how people would find it hard to handle. My career was half based off on my chemistry with Hansol. To have a compatible partner was very important on the arena.

Deciding that I didn’t want to dwell on it and versatility was key in the industry, I flipped my pad open to press the link Jisung had sent me. It was a video of the training center and I saw the camera pan through the hallways.

“Neo Culture Training Center is one of the best training centers in Seoul, Korea. With a history of producing star Legend Players, NCT Center is known for their elite training programs.”

I bit down on my lower lip, forwarding the video a little bit when I saw a woman. She had big eyes and her pigtails were tied up so high, it swung back and forth as she beamed into the camera.

Oh, Kim Bunny. I recognized her the moment I saw her, not being able to keep a smile from traveling up my lips as she chirped.

“Hello, my name is Kim Bunny and I am the head of student services for the Mages. Neo Culture Training Center welcomes you! Auditions for Grandmaster and Master ranks are set for every second Saturday of the month. If you think you have what it takes to be a Battle of Peril Player, audition now!”

I blinked. She spoke so fast. The frame changed to some motivational quote by their headmaster, Do Kyungsoo. Do Kyungsoo was a legend. Not in the field but in the development of the sport itself. He had found a way to standardize control center systems back in the day. Those of his batch from the team EXO were now playing as Legend Players for South Korea and had quite a high winning rate.

“Neo Culture Training Center pride ourselves in the lack of discrimination. Neo Culture Training Center has alien-human halflings, creatures that serve our arena willingly and peace between departments.” Do Kyungsoo gave the camera a hard look. “We do not accept bribes and strive to give our trainees the best treatment. Curated curriculums for each student, playing on their strength and weaknesses.”

I closed the video, deciding to rest my eyes. The journey back to Korea would be a new chapter for me.

I just hoped that the new training center would treat me well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Neo Culture Training Center. Seoul, Korea

“Have you guys heard of the East Coast Training Center?” a female whispered. “I heard they went down and under.”

Jung Jaehyun leaned back against the chair, the main-assassin player waiting for what he was about to hear. They did this every time they got a new student, Do Kyungsoo loosening his collar.

“I heard Park Nabi is transferring over.”

“Of course she is. She’s an Epic five-level and she is Park Jisung’s sister. They both come from a family of Legend Players.”

“Marksmen, both of them. She has a strong fanbase. I wonder if she’s as good as they say she is.”

“Heard she’s rigid as , though.”

“I wonder what’s going to happen to Ji Hansol.”

“Oh, yeah. They were always paired in the arena. If she does come, I bet they’ll assign her to Jung Jaehyun. They always assign the new people to him.”

Jaehyun quirked up an eyebrow when he heard his name, fighting the urge to turn back and stare at the two girls that were talking in hushed but quite loud voices.

“A new student will be starting the semester with us. First and foremost, I would like to thank our 127 Team for quite an intense game with HYBE yesterday. I understand that it must be heartbreaking to lose especially when we were leading by kills. Take it as a lesson to focus on turrets.” Do Kyungsoo clasped his hands together. “To all my Epic players, this season will be packed with competitions. We have ranked second this season with our wins but I believe we can push to become the first.”

Do Kyungsoo cleared his throat.

“Let’s continue to strive hard and bring value to Neo Culture Training Center. Let’s train and train and train. The Battle of Peril Olympics are coming soon so watch that and maybe next year, you will be playing for South Korea.”

Claps echoed through the hall and Kyungsoo bowed.

“Why did he even call us for this?” Nakamoto Yuta complained from beside him, the Japanese player brushing himself off. “We have training.”

“Against WayV,” Jaehyun murmured, standing up. His body was hurting since yesterday and he had taken quite a lot of damage. “Yesterday, Lee Jeno from Dream played as a substitute for us when Taeyong couldn’t make it. I wonder if he’s fine now.”

“Taeyong’s a halfling. He should be fine,” Yuta answered when he spotted Johnny waiting for them. Johnny was their Gamemaster. Their coach. He waited patiently at the end of the hall. “Wait, if we’re training against WayV today, does that mean Sicheng will be playing assassin for the other team?”

“Most probably,” Jaehyun answered, standing beside Johnny who gave him a quick nod. The team began to form, Jaehyun looking over to see Qian Kun with the rest of WayV. Sicheng moved from 127 to WayV recently and it was the first time Jaehyun would be playing against him. “Qian Kun’s win rate against Johnny is quite high in comparison.”

“The moment Qian Kun went from control center to Gamemaster, I just knew that I’d have competition,” Johnny said, chuckling. “That guy has seen it all. He knows how to work the arena.”

“He’s thorough,” Taeyong said from behind Jaehyun. His eyes sparkled with grey specks before it flashed, changing to opaline then back again. “And I’m fine now. It was just weird food.”

“You can sub today, T-Y. Just in case. Jaehyun, are you okay playing the first round?” Johnny asked. “It’s just us boys today. Today’s game will be used for your evaluation.”

“Oh, thank god. At least we won’t have Kim Bunny yapping our ears off,” Haechan murmured, appearing from the shadows. Johnny laughed, motioning everyone to follow him. In the process, he caught a Mark Lee rushing down the hall with bed hair, all of them filing into the arena.

“Arena of Kwangya,” Johnny motioned to the arena. “Told them to change the name but Kyungsoo is adamant that he likes it this way.”

“Why would you even suggest something like that to Headmaster Kyungsoo? You know how sensitive he gets.” Haechan complained, tugging on his suit. “I’m playing Fanny today. Jaehyun, are you sticking to Alucard?”

“Are you able to control your zipline?” Johnny asked, Haechan nodding. He said he got quite a lot of practice and had been training non-stop. He just got his suit tailored and just like Spiderman, Haechan just got a hang of aiming and shooting in order to fly across the arena. “Alright. Nakamoto Yuta—”

“Tanking as usual,” Yuta murmured. Yuta’s character started off with the ability to turn into a car. But of course, playing games through the screen and in real life was different. He played Johnson, but his ultimate changed into a motorcycle.

The arenas for the games had complex technology. Each player wore a suit and had buttons as skills on their left hand. Basic Skill, Second Skill, Ultimate. On their arm, there was a life bar so players could keep track of their health. They had glasses and special shoes to aid in the game in case they were stunned by an opponent. Their whole body would freeze due to the panel technology of the arena paired with their shoes.

Different characters, different technology. Knives, swords, bows, guns were all held in a compact item that they could pocket and brandish out every time they could. Instead of bullets, it was lasers and their suits had a small screen on their right arm in case each player decided to change their build throughout the game.

“I’m one hundred percent sure that Chittaphon will play Helcurt. He’s been training as Helcurt these days.”

“Someone has to tell the council that Helcurt is a meta-hero,” Jungwoo called from the side. He too, would be benched because of his wrist. “He’s too powerful. Imagine our glasses activating to make us blind because he used his ultimate.”

Meta-hero, a term to refer to a character that was over-buffed and too powerful.

“Alright. Assassin, Jaehyun. Tank, Yuta. Haechan, also assassin. Mark, Marksman.” Johnny looked around. “Jungwoo, you’re not playing so we need someone to sub for Mage. Can we get one of the Dreamies to sub for Jungwoo?”

“I’ll call Chenle. He plays a good Harley,” Haechan called out.

“Mage, Chenle. Sounds good. Let’s get this. I’ll tell Doyoung we are good to go. He needs to get the Control Center ready.”

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I had arrived to Seoul, Korea and was lunging my luggage through the gates of NCT Center.

“I’m good, Appa,” I said, my father asking me if I had arrived and seen Jisung. “It was alright. I slept the whole plane ride.”

“Do you want me and your mother to come and visit you? We’re just thirty minutes away,” he said to me.

“No, it’s fine. I have to unpack and take a look around the center. I’ll call you later, Appa.” I didn’t wait for him to hang up, beating him to it before I entered the registration office. The alien behind the counter beamed at me before asking what my name was.

“Park Nabi,” I said. She didn’t seem to look surprised and it was an indication that people were notified of my arrival. “I’m a transferee.”

“From East Coast Training Center, yes. Headmaster Kyungsoo’s office is this way.” She pointed her long finger towards a closed door. I was about to bring my luggage with me but she said she’d bring it to my dorm room. “Good luck.”

I entered the office to see Headmaster Kyungsoo look up at me.

“Uncle Kyungsoo,” I whispered, Kyungsoo lifting his finger up to shush me. I looked over to the door to make sure no one was listening to us. When I saw that she was typing rapidly down on her computer, I bounced over to him to give him a hug. “Hi, how are you?”

“Honey, I heard about ECT shutting down. I’m happy to have you here. Your father called me at least twenty times that night.”

“Sounds like him. I saw your speech. About bribery and all,” I teased, Kyungsoo laughing.

“Your father did not bribe me, Nabi. You’re a great player. Come, let me walk you to the Arena of Kwangya. I think some of the Epic Players are playing against each other today.”

“I heard from the radio that NCT 127 lost against HYBE’s new team,” I said to him, Kyungsoo grabbing his phone and slipping it into his pocket. As we exited his room, I began to look around. It looked just like any other training center, Kyungsoo bringing me towards a big building.

A team was playing. Kyungsoo had brought me to the viewing room and I watched as the players disappeared among the bushes.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“Jaehyun, clean the minions. Not too far. I think Chittaphon has his ultimate ready,” Johnny ordered in his ear. “Guys, get ready for a black out.”

The panels of the floor began to move, Nakamoto Yuta deciding to use his ultimate. Upon summing his other half, his motorcycle slowly appeared, popping up from the floor beside him, Yuta getting on.

Kun was watching as 127’s tank mounted the motorcycle. Tanks had different suits than the rest of the categories. Their suits were suited for dealing damage and their health went down slower.

“Chittaphon, ultimate now,” Kun said as Ten gave a hum.

“Not yet, I’m buffing up. Killing a monster.” Chittapon clawed the alien in front of him repeatedly, watching the creature’s health go down to a red before a panel opened and the creature gave him a wave. Ten waved back. “See you when you come back!”

Ten watched his level reach level eight.

Yuta took a round, the time limit of his ultimate finishing. He got off, the panels on the floor moving and his motorcycle disappearing underneath the ground. Three more minutes until he’d be able to use his ultimate.

“Jae, where are you?”

“Clearing the minions. Keep an eye on Chenle.”

Everyone quietly moved around, the atmosphere tense when Chenle let out a yelp. Yuta whipped his head around to the source of the sound, Mark calling for Chenle.

“Meet me in the middle, I ran into Ten!” Chenle called out, Mark rushing to the middle lane with his guns in his hand. They were already missing their middle turret, Chenle sprinting away from Ten who had his sights on Chenle’s health that was orange.

He would be easy to kill.

“I got you, I got you!” Mark called, a hand pressing down on the second skill button before rolling on the ground, aiming his guns at Ten. One shoot and the laser bullets shot out at Ten. Mark’s laser bullets absorbed into Ten’s suit, the health bar going a tad bit lower but his other gun missed and Ten attacked Mark. Mark made a mental note to go harder on aim training.

Chenle panted before he froze.

“Don’t help Mark. Chenle, recall,” Johnny said, knowing Chenle would be sacrificing himself if he helped his teammate.

“Sorry!” Chenle said to Mark who managed to rush towards the turret, Chenle pressing the recall button. Chenle crouched automatically so he was balanced when the floor opened and he dropped down, the male feeling himself get transported back to the recall center when it opened back up and he was back to base. “Mork! All good?”

Chenle glanced at the health bar on his arm to see that it was slowly going back up to full health.

“He’s chasing me. I can’t recall back to base!” Mark said, trying to make his way back further to the base. Ten had made a shortcut, bouncing forward to grab Mark when he felt the turret’s laser beam shoot at him. The burning sensation moved through his arm and Ten hissed.

But he knew that Mark wouldn’t be able to make it. He was limping, Mark using his basic skill. One click on the button before shooting out at Ten.

“Ten, ultimate now!” Kun yelled from WayV’s base. Ten slammed his fist down on his ultimate, 127’s glasses clouding over. The members of 127, blinded of their sight began yelling out for each other. Five seconds with out your vision was enough to die in the arena.

Ten began to huff, Mark not slowing down despite not knowing where he was going. Ten watched as Mark stumbled and Ten darted forward to finish Mark off when he felt a hand grab him in time, Jung Jaehyun swinging Ten over to the side.

Ten was then tackled to the ground, Jaehyun using his first skill and raising his sword above his head.

“Jung Jaehyun got to him,” Kun was saying, his teeth gritted. “Lucas, where are you?”

“I’m heading over. Hendery, get ready for team fight.”

The one-on-one between the assassins continued when there was a yell from above, Haechan joining in on the fight. He had flown across the across the map on his zipline, Jaehyun stepping back when he realized that Ten had life steal.

Haechan using Fanny as a character had its perks. But right then, it was a disadvantage because Fanny’s build was nothing against Ten’s Helcurt.

“Don’t attack him yet!” Jaehyun said but Haechan had already tackled ten. “He has life-steal!”

Haechan’s health was lowered despite him doing the damage, Ten grinning when Lucas appeared. WayV’s tank began to hold up a shield, Ten scurrying to the side to recall since his health was red. Lucas lowered the shield when Haechan’s damage lessened and he grabbed Haechan. The secondary assassin found himself flying to the side from the impact and Jaehyun wanted him to leave him to fend him for himself when Sicheng appeared.

He hated fighting against Sicheng. They had trained as assassins together. Sicheng did not hold back. He knew Jung Jaehyun’s technique like the back of his hand.

Second skill first, then first skill, then his ultimate. Sicheng leapt to the side, Jaehyun’s sword narrowly missing him as Sicheng brandished out his own fencing sword.

The thing with Jaehyun’s character, Alucard, was that he had low cooldown. Sicheng began to attack him, countering Jaehyun’s basic skills with his own.

“I can’t hold him off!” Haechan grunted, trying to fly away on the zipline but Lucas was holding him down with his ultimate. Haechan was stuck to the ground, the panels lighting up as his shoes were glued on the ground, not allow him to move. “ing Tigreal.”

Lucas had to release Haechan when the skill time was over, Haechan making a run for it when Hendery arrived.

Cornered.

“It’s a party in here!” Hendery chirped, leaping through the air. “Sad, Haechan. Fighter to assassin? I feel betrayed.”

“Shut up, your secondary character is an assassin, too.” Haechan rolled his eyes, rolling to the side. His health was so low that if he was even tickled by a basic skill, he’d find himself dead and would have to wait one full minute to get back onto the arena. “, .”

“Coming!” Mark yelled; both his guns ready. As a Granger player, Mark knew that he could only go into team fight if there was tank. His build wasn’t the best and he still had to configure it.

“I’m heading over,” Yuta said. “Jaehyun hold them off. If you can, ten seconds will do.”

“Hard. Sicheng is—”

A slash across his chest and Jaehyun saw his health bar go down to zero.

“I’m dead.”

“Ahhhhhhhhh!” Haechan let out a high-pitched scream, deciding to just run away.

Jaehyun felt the panel under him open up and lower him down before he was transported back to base, Haechan screaming bloody murder as Hendery, Lucas and Sicheng tried to follow him. Jaehyun had a minute left before he could go back, the male waiting patiently when he looked up to see that there were two people in the viewing room.

Park Nabi… Was it Park Nabi? She was watching the game intently, Headmaster Kyungsoo beside her. Her eyes did not leave the arena and for a moment, Jaehyun saw her eyes fall onto where he was at. Her eyebrows furrowed and he felt like he was judged by her.

She then shook her head, dragging her eyes back to the team fight.

“I pressed my ultimate two times. Where is my motorcycle?” Yuta hissed. He was on the opposite end of the map and wanted to drive to his teammates. He slammed on his ultimate one more time, signaling the control center to give him his motorcycle. The panels opened and the motorcycle appeared when it got stuck.

Yuta’s motorcycle was stuck. 

“Are you ing serious?”

And Yuta was always known to have anger management issues.

“I said, are you ing serious?” Yuta repeated, a hand in the air as the motorcycle was pushed up only halfway. “Why is my motorcycle stuck?!”

And that was when the arena went black, Yuta’s voice demanding answers. Doyoung spoke into the intercom from the control center.

“Calling all players. Calling all players—”

“Kim Doyoung!” Yuta hollered from beside his motorcycle that was still halfway up. “What the ?”

“There has been a technical problem. Panel D4 is facing a—”

Doyoung’s voice was cut off by a string of profanities from Nakamoto Yuta who had his middle finger in the air towards the cameras.

“Training sessions are to be delayed until further notice.”

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“Not a good day for you to watch a game,” Kyungsoo told me and I laughed.

“It happens, Uncle.” I smiled at him and he patted my head.

“Come. Let me bring you to the control center. The rules in the con

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter