The Plan

Marry Me (even if you don't love me)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chaeyoung woke up to the sound of her alarm and glanced at the blaring number – 4:00 AM. It was earlier than her usual waking time, but she is determined to catch Jennie.

 

The said girl has been avoiding her for days, bolting out whenever Chaeyoung is in vicinity. Their schedules also never seem to match now, with Jennie disappearing early morning and coming back at God knows when. At first, Chaeyoung thought it was all in her head, but even Jisoo and Lisa noticed the blatant avoidance.

 

Chaeyoung has been racking her brain for an explanation, but all to no avail. Someway, somehow, she must have offended Jennie. Despite not knowing when, Chaeyoung is determined to talk it out, apologize even.

 

She stepped out of her bedroom, finally catching her best friend brewing coffee at the kitchen.

 

“Jen?”

 

The girl turned around, looking like a deer caught in headlight. “Rosie!”

 

Chaeyoung motioned to step closer, but Jennie visibly flinched. So she opted to awkwardly sway on the spot instead. “Are you free? Can we talk?”

 

“Uhm…” Jennie looked down hesitantly, and it’s only then did Chaeyoung noticed a large luggage beside the counter.

 

“Are you leaving?” Chaeyoung asked in a hurt tone. What she did must have been really awful for Jennie to not even tolerate living with her.

 

“No, no – it’s just for a business trip! I’ll be going to Japan for a few days.”

 

“Oh, I see” Chaeyoung exhaled in relief, glad that she still has a chance to fix whatever this is. “When are you going?”

 

“Uh, soon? My flight is in three hours.” Jennie grimaced.

 

“What? I didn’t know!”

 

“Sorry that I forgot to tell you, Rosie. I didn’t mean to, everything just happened so quickly at work.”

 

“It’s okay…”

 

An awkward silence followed, with Jennie stirring her coffee like it’s the most interesting thing in the world. While Chaeyoung stood beside, practically buzzing with nervous energy. After a few seconds, she blurted out –

 

“Jen, I’m sorry!”

 

“Huh? What for?”

 

“Uh, I’m not sure?” Chaeyoung winced. “But I think I did something wrong?”

 

“What? No, you didn’t” Jennie reassured, but still not meeting Chaeyoung’s eyes. “I’m sorry if I’ve been acting weird lately. It’s just…it’s me – I just need to figure something out.”

 

“Oh, that’s alright! Maybe I can help you with it?”

 

“Sorry Rosie, but I have to do this alone.”

 

“That’s okay, I understand” Chaeyoung nodded, sensing the girl’s reluctance to continue the topic. “At least let me take you to the airport?"

 

“No, it’s fine. You should head to work, I'll just book a taxi.”

 

"But..."

 

The doorbell suddenly rang, cutting off Chaeyoung’s reply. Jennie looked thankful at the interruption and rushed to open the door.

 

"Kai? What are you doing here?"

 

"Hey Jen, I'm here to drive you to the airport."

 

"But I already told you yesterday that it’s not needed."

 

"And I insist” Kai stepped inside like he owns the place. “I'll miss you a lot when you’re in Japan, so let me at least spend a few more hours with you.”

 

Jennie peeked at Chaeyoung’s direction and back at Kai, seemingly torn between the two.

 

“Please?”

 

"Fine. Give me a few more minutes to finish packing up" Jennie sighed and rushed to her room.

 

Satisfied with his victory, Kai held his chin up smugly at Chaeyoung. “You see that? She chose me, again.”

 

Chaeyoung ignored him and started walking to her room.

 

“Jen and I should be back together in no time”

 

“I don’t care.”

 

“Oh really? Could have sworn you secretly like her” Kai blocked Chaeyoung’s path. “You’ve always been such a nuisance to our relationship even back then. Jen would always run to you – it was annoying to say the least.”

 

“What do you want” Chaeyoung glared at Kai, patience running thin.

 

“Nothing” Kai shrugged. “Just warning you to stop your futile attempts on her, to think you even married Jen for scraps of her affection.”

 

“And what should I have done instead? Leave her at her worst?”

 

Kai clenched his jaw at the reminder of his past actions. “Whatever. You did all of those to what gain? In the end Jen still came back to me. You lose again, Park.”

 

“Stop talking like Jennie is a game to win!” Chaeyoung snapped, face flushed with anger. “Just treat her right and I couldn’t care any less about you.”

 

“Acting like a fake supportive best friend, huh? If you really want the best for her, then just file a divorce. Jen has been wanting to do so, just too scared to hurt poor Rosie’s feelings.”

 

Chaeyoung halted at the information, doubt suddenly growing in her mind. Is this why Jennie has been avoiding her?

 

“She has been complaining to me how much of a burden your marriage is. So stop taking advantage of the situation and let her go.” Kai demanded through gritted teeth.

.

.

.

.

.

“What are you guys talking about?” Jennie emerged from her bedroom, noticing the tense air between the two.

 

“Nothing!” Kai flashed a charming grin. “Are you ready? Let’s go?”

 

Chaeyoung sighed and walked towards Jennie. “Give me a second.”

 

Chaeyoung went to her room and rummaged her drawer, coming back after a few seconds. She then gently took Jennie’s palm and placed a small packet on it. “I know you get dizzy during flights, here’s some medicine – it should help.”

 

“Th-thanks” Jennie stuttered.

 

Chaeyoung gave a small smile in return. She wanted to hug Jennie but wasn’t sure if the girl will be comfortable with it. So, she settled for a light pat on the arm instead. “Have a safe flight and don’t forget to take care of yourself, okay?”

 

Jennie nodded, tip of ears now tinted red.

 

 

 

--------------------------------

 

 

 

Kai’s jabs hovered over Chaeyoung’s head like a dark cloud. Suffice to say, she was in a sour mood when she entered her office.

 

“What’s gotten into you? You look like a kicked puppy again.” Suzy noted behind Chaeyoung’s desk. Although they have given Suzy her own office, the girl seemed to have taken a liking to Chaeyoung’s, staying there for the most part.

 

“Nothing, I’m fine” Chaeyoung slumped on the couch, arms crossed.

 

Suzy got up and sat beside Chaeyoung. “Do you know that you get this crinkle in between your brows when something’s bothering you?”

 

She then reached out and gently smoothened the crease with her thumb. The lingering warmth comforted Chaeyoung a bit. “So, tell me Chaeyoung, what’s bothering you?”

 

Usually, Chaeyoung would have disregarded the question. She was used to dealing with her problems alone after all. But Suzy always made talking easier, so she found herself sharing everything – from Jennie’s recent avoidance to Kai’s taunts.

 

“It’s just…I know this marriage is fake, but what Kai said still stings a lot” Chaeyoung admitted. “Has Jen been waiting all this time to get rid of me?”

 

“Hmm, that doesn’t sound like Jennie at all. As dumb as she is, she cares a lot about you” Suzy commented. “I think Kai is lying, you should talk directly with Jennie instead.”

 

“But how can I do so when she refuses to be even near me?”

 

“Huh, I thought our conversation before would have drilled some senses into her head. But Jennie does seem like the type to shove all of her feelings into a box.”

 

“What conversation?” Chaeyoung tilted her head, clueless.

 

"Nothing" Suzy waved the question off and gazed at Chaeyoung – who’s sulking progressed from being a kicked puppy to an abandoned, limping puppy. She resisted the urge to pinch the blonde’s cheeks.

 

“C’mon, here’s what you’ll do. When Jennie comes back from Japan, you’ll sweep her off her feet and confe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter