CHAPTER 14

Black Mamba

TIMESKIP 3 MONTHS...

 

Winter… 

 

… 

… 

 

Minjeong-ah…

 

 

“Winter, wake up.”

 

The blonde girl groggily opened her eyes, someone next to her calling out to her while shaking her awake.

 

“Mmmuhhh wwwhat?”

 

She looked around the dark room, seeing that it was Karina who woke her.

 

She laid her head back down on Karina’s shoulder, both of them cuddled together under Karina’s blanket, leaning against one of her room’s four walls, “wait, let me sleep for a bit longer…”

 

“Winter, it’s twelve.”

 

Twelve…

 

Twelve.

 

Winter’s eyes shot back open as she abruptly sat up straight, “what?”

 

She looked out Karina’s window, seeing darkness, “oh … When did it become midnight?”

 

Karina stared at the girl in worry, “I don’t know… I fell asleep too.”

 

Winter quickly untangled herself from the blanket, stumbling onto her feet as she muttered a curse underneath her breath constantly.

 

“Shoot- I need my shoes.”

 

Karina whispered back to her, “I’ll go get it, grab everything of yours while I do. Try to be quiet since my parents wake up easily.”

 

Winter nodded and Karina silently slipped out into the hall. She quickly slung on her backpack, grabbing her jacket before glancing at the window.

 

“Here.”

 

She turned, thanking Karina as she grabbed her shoes with one hand. 

 

The older girl helped Winter open her window, the younger girl in turn jumping out with a dull thud onto the grass below. She quickly put on her shoes, turning to face Karina.

 

Winter gave Karina a quick kiss, “see you on Monday.”

 

Karina returned the gesture before pulling away, “yeah, get home safe Minjeong-ah.”

 

The blonde girl began to run down the street, street lamps guiding her way as she sprinted home. She slowed to a stop as she arrived at the front of her house, quietly rustling her way to the side where she knew her room’s window would be unlocked. She slipped off her shoes after pushing the window up, pulling herself inside and silently landing onto her carpeted floor.

 

She sighed as she placed her backpack, jacket, and shoes down next to her desk where the window was, only to freeze.

 

“Kim Minjeong.”

 

Her mom’s voice sent a chill down her spine as she slowly circled around to face the older woman. Her mom was sitting on the corner of her bed, barely visible since the minimal light from the window didn’t hit her.

 

“You’re back.”

 

“O-oh… Hi eomma.”

 

“Sit next to me.”

 

Winter swallowed a lump in as she stiffly walked up to her mom, awkwardly sitting next to her as her heart thumped loudly in her chest.

 

“Where were you.”

 

“J-Jimin’s place…”

 

“What were you two doing?”

 

“We fell asleep…”

 

“Oh really?”

 

Winter could only nod, unable to look her mom in the eyes as she felt her strong gaze pierce through her temple.

 

“Were her parents there?”

 

Another nod.

 

“Do they know that you were there this late?”

 

“I-I don’t know… Probably…”

 

“Minjeong…”

 

Winter couldn’t take the tension anymore, she tried not to speak, but her tongue got the best of her and out came a river of barely comprehensible words.

 

“I-I’m sorry eomma, I didn’t mean to stay for that long. I was planning to come back around eight like I told you I would b-but then we both fell asleep and we just woke up. I swear we weren’t doing anything else up till this late, I-”

 

“What is she to you?”

 

Winter froze again, “...”

 

“Minjeong?”

 

“She’s my friend…”

 

“Don’t lie to me.”

 

The girl didn’t know what to do, she sat with her eyes glued to her hands that were clenched into fists on her lap, her nails digging into her skin from how tightly she held them, her body as tense as the atmosphere.

 

“I-I-I…”

 

“You like her, don’t you? And I mean that more than a friend would.”

 

Winter felt like breaking both inside and out, wanting to disappear or run away, far away from everyone and everything. She kept her secret for so long, the only person that knew was Giselle, long before she met NingNing and Karina, and she never wanted it to be spilled to anyone else.

 

But now her mom knows.

 

Of all the people in the world, her Korean mother, born and raised in South Korea.

 

“Minjeong, answer me.”

 

Her breathing became shaky as her eyes and legs jittered all over the place, her hands becoming sweaty as she let go of her fists to play with her thumbs.

 

“Are you dating her?”

 

“N-no… I’m not.”

 

“Then what are you two?”

 

“I-I… I don’t know…”

 

“You don’t know?”

 

Winter shook her head, still aimlessly staring at the ground, “I really don’t know.”

 

She tensed as she felt her mom’s hand on her back, sparing a quick glance at her mom before turning back to her original state.

 

“How long have you kept this from me?”

 

“W-what?”

 

“Your secret, you liking girls.”

 

“I-I don’t know… f-five years?”

 

“Minjeong…”

 

“I-I-I’m sorry… I know I shouldn’t keep secrets from y-you but… I just couldn’t t-tell you this.”

 

Winter startled as her mom’s hand rose to wrap around her shoulders, the older woman pulling her daughter closer to her.

 

“I sort of knew something was up with you two ever since I visited during New Year’s Eve.”

 

Winter finally met eyes with her mom, “you did?”

 

Her mom nodded, “you only brought Giselle over before in the past, so I don’t have many people to base off of but… You act differently around Karina, I was able to see that.”

 

“W-wait… Are you not angry that I like girls?”

 

Her mom’s look grew stern again and she flinched, “I’m disappointed that you came four hours late with no texts or calls. Do you know how worried I was when you didn’t answer your phone? And you never did that before in your life as well!”

 

Winter blinked a few times, “o-oh…”

 

Her mom sighed, “I don’t care if you stay over with Jimin or go out with her, I just want you to be safe, and for me to know that you are safe.”

 

The girl finally looked at her mother, “sorry eomma, I’ll make sure not to do that again.”

 

Her mom nodded, pulling Winter in for a hug, “whoever you like in the future, whether it’s still Jimin or someone else… As long as they are a good person, and that you are safe and happy, I will accept them.”

 

She pulled away, giving Winter a warm smile as she held her arms firmly, “I will still be your mother.”

 

Winter relaxed all the tension from her body, returning her mom’s smile, “thanks eomma…”

 

“And don’t come in through the window next time, if it wasn’t for your bright hair I would have thought that you were a robber.”

 

The girl let out a weak laugh, “yeah… I’ll keep that in mind.”

 

Her mom shook her head as she stood up, chuckling to herself, “shower and sleep.”

 

“Goodnight eomma.”

 

“Jal jja, Minjeong-ah.”         (Sleep well)

 

Winter let out a deep sigh as her mom left her room, stretching her arms and legs to get rid of the remaining strain from her stiff position. She quickly showered after putting her shoes back near the front door, ruffling her hair back as she shut her window.

 

She fell onto her bed, rolling over onto her back as she hugged her dog plushie, staring up at the dark ceiling.

 

I will still be your mother…

 

Winter smiled, thankful her mom understood her, thankful that she was accepted. Her greatest fear was to be an outsider, an outcast, especially because of her secret liking for girls.

 

Her shoulders eased, knowing that as long as her mom and her small group of friends accepted her, she would be okay…

 

________________________________________________
 

We stan a supportive mom 🥲 Story will get more "stronger" soon so stay tuned! 💛 -Minah