Sunny

A Fisherman's Tail

"Sunny, go fetch the crab pots at the river."

I pull my hair into a ponytail, put on my rubber boots and tied my jacket onto my waist.

"Yeah, yeah, I know old man."

 

The rubber boots squeaked as I walked across the room and make my way to the front door.

The sun was barely speaking over the mountains, the air was still a little chilly, and the scent of rain lingered into the house.

 

"The storm was pretty rough last night", my old man said.

"I bet we caught lots in our pots!"

I roll up my sleeve and head out to the river. The sounds of nature were comforting during my walk.

 

Moving to the outskirts has been my best decision yet. It has been more enjoyable than the cities. The stress on body image and beauty were too damaging and demanding that it was too hard to keep up with.

The city life was just too much. A regular job is just not for me. I appreciate and enjoy the outdoors and putting in some work. Being a fireman with Grandpa isn’t too bad after all.

 

Reaching the river, I pull out all the crab pots.

"Decent catches..."

 

I pack up all the goodies and walk back to grandpa's.

 

*COUGH COUGH*

 

Where did that cough come from?

 

*COUGH COUGH*

 

I scan the area… THERE

 

At the edge of the river, it looked like a person struggling to get out of the waters. Their arms were visibly shaking as they tried to push up and out.

 

"Hang in there!"

I dropped the catch of the day and ran back to the river. Kneeling, I tucked my arms under theirs, I began to pull. It was a fight with their body weight and the current of the river.

 

"Come on, push up!”

I yanked back with full force, and they popped right out of the water. Falling backwards with a heavy weight on my chest, I felt so lightheaded.

 

I started to feel my shirt growing wet and my skin getting colder. The weight on top of me lifted. Shocked at what and who was hovering above me.

 

“P-P-ert!!!”

A man with water dripping from his body.

I pushed him off and scrambled onto my feet.

“W-who are and why are you ?”

 

“I’m- I'm sorry for scaring you... but I’m- I'm looking for someone... a beautiful maiden.”

His breathing was staggered but his voice was smooth and silky with a slight accent.

 

“Do you know where she may be?”

He was slowly standing but his knees wobbled. I turned away and untied my jacket.

 

“Here, please cover yourself”, I said as I handed my jacket over.

There seem to be some hesitation.

 

“Excuse me? Can you please cover yourself ert?”

“I’m sorry, what do I cover?”

I could feel my face burning, “Your lower regions!”

 

I threw my jacket at him and pointed at my waist, “Tie it around here and make sure the longer part covers the front.”

I could hear the slight rustling of fabric.

“I am covered as you requested, now please can you help me?”

I turned around and faced the man. He had dark mid length hair that shaped his soft face.

His eyes also matched his hair, deep, dark, and rich.

 

“Sunny.”

 

He looked at me in confusion.

 

“M-my name is Sunny.”

 

“What an interesting name”, he said.

 

His smile was bright, and he radiated warmth.

 

“What abut you? What’s your name?”

 

“My name..”

 

He pauses and looks around.

 

“Can you help me?”

 

Me? Help him? A stranger I pulled from the river who was who now has my jacket tied around his waist. I do not even know who he is, where he is from, or even his name.

 

“And why should I help you?”

“Well, I assume that you’re a good person and you helped me out from the water.”

 

“Well that’s…”

 

He looks at me and smiles, “I’m Tae.”