PROLOGUE

Hold back

 

Calling all passengers for flight CX 818, the boarding gates are open at K21.

 

The airport has never been more hectic. Tourists and locals bustled around to get their way to the right gates. At the arrival area,flight MI 329 had landed for 10 minutes and its passengers are waiting for their baggage at the luggage claim area. A girl clad in a beige Alexander Wang one piece summer suit passed through the crowd and headed for the souvenir shop nearby. She had her assistant in line for their baggage since they had the priority baggage claim at hand. As the girl hummed and scanned through the candies on the shelf, her PA walked over to her with her phone at hand.

 

“Vice President, a call from President Sun.” 

 

“Thanks, Xiao Ai. “ The female executive murmured as she took over the phone, not even bothering to look at the screen as she pointed at the products she wanted to the SA. 

“Hello, ge? 

“Mi’er. How’s your flight?” She could almost feel her brother smiling through the screen.

“How does a 6 hour 30 minute flight in the wee hours of the morning sound like to you, President Sun?” She answered dryly. She plucked out her black card and handed it to the SA over the counter.

“Cranky as always. Well, we’re waiting for you to have dinner tonight. Jin Long Mansion. I know the boys will have you for lunch.”

“Can I say no?” She mused after thanking the SA politely while her PA took over the three paper bags. 

“Don’t push it, Sun Yue Mi. 7 pm.”

“Fine, fine. I’ll be there. Bye, ge.”

“Oh, and Mi’er?”

“Yeah?”

“Welcome home. We miss you.”

Ewww. Bye.” She could hear her brother chuckle before hanging up. Yue Mi handed the phone to her PA before strolling towards her second PA, who had finished collecting their baggage. He gave her a slight bow before following suit beside his boss.

“Luo Que.” The female spoke as they headed for the main hall.

“Yes, vice president?” The male in silver-grey hair who had his firm grips on the trolley handles looked over to his superior.

“Would you like to return to the Hall of Tiger Hounds after this?” Her tone became low but soft, loud enough for the male to hear. Luo Que paused his steps - which earned the same response from the young executive. 

“You are Ming ge’s subordinate. You can’t possibly follow me forever in the corporate world.” 

“Young miss.” Yue Mi froze. It had been some time since someone called her that in such a formal way. Ever since she began working at her family corporate 5 years ago, she had never been called ‘young miss’ except for the maids and deans at her family mansions. 

“Ever since Grand Master sent me to assist and protect you 7 years ago, I have already become your manpower. I’m grateful to the Hall for raising me, but on terms, you’re my master now. So, young miss, Luo Que will continue staying by your side even if it meant death on the line.” Yue Mi smiled, her hands squeezed the male’s shoulder before nodding. 

“I respect your decisions, Luo Que.” Her eyes trailed over to Xiao Ai who was smiling on her right side.

“Don’t worry, vice president. Even though I might not have been with you as long as Luo Que did, but you will be my first and last boss.” The girl finished with a small bow. The female executive chuckled before rubbing the SA’s hair.

“Let’s go. You guys must be tired too.” 


 

The trio finally exited the arrival area and headed for the main entrance. They were greeted with rows of men in tux lined in front of 6 units of black Rolls Royce Phantom. In between the Phantoms was a metallic grey Audi R8, sunset orange 93 Ford Mustang and a midnight black Mercedes Benz Cabriolet. Their owners were chatting while leaning against the Audi. One of their assistants scrambled to inform his boss when he caught sight of Vice President Sun. The three men grinned as they moved forward to greet the female.

 

“Yue Mi !” Eros Yang was the first of the three to hand his coffee to his SA before tugging the girl by her wrist for a hug. Yue Mi groaned but smiled nevertheless. She wrapped her arms around the male before her eyes fell onto the other two. Gao Han and Xu Kai were much more patient. They waited for the male to pull off from their friend before taking turns in greeting her.

 

“Hey you. You look like you lost weight. Did you skip meals again?” Gao Han asked strictly, his brows furrowed 

“Of course she skipped meals. It’s kinda her thing.” Xu Kai butted in before Yue Mi had a chance to open . She sent him a dry look.

“Only a few times, okay. The office in Singapore is humongous, Thousands of steps everyday, how can I not lose weight.” The girl huffed.

Liar,liar. Pants on fire.” Eros hummed and ducked behind his two friends before Yue Mi could fling her handbag at his face. Xiao Ai bit back a laugh as she watched her boss interact with her best friends. She was always much happier with them around. 

“Alright, save it you guys. Let’s go. We reserved lunch at The Golden Restaurant. Yue Mi’s favorite Kung Pao chicken and 4 Season ribs.” The female grinned at the list of dishes. Gao Han wrapped an arm around her shoulders as they walked towards the cars.

“Dinner tonight with your family, I assume.” 

“Of course. Hell’s Kitchen must always serve, no?” The boys chuckled. Xu Kai took Yue Mi’s bag for her as she bid goodbye to her PA. Eros’s security detail would send them back.

“I’ll see you guys on Wednesday. Take the day off tomorrow, okay? President’s orders.” Yue Mi winked before skipping back to her friends.

“So, which vehicle did you miss more?” Xu Kai piped as he unlocked the doors to his Mercedes Benz.

Mehhh. I miss my Austin Martin more.” She mused before hopping into Gao Han’s Audi R8. Eros whined at the back before getting into his Mustang. Their phones pinged simultaneously - the groupchat. 

 

If I get to the restaurant first, Yue Mi is hanging out with me tomorrow ! :P - Eros

 

They chuckled at the message. True enough, the Mustang drove off first, followed by Xu Kai’s Benz then the security details. Gao Han shook his head, amused.

“This is why I rather ride with you.” Yue Mi mumbled as she snuggled against the seat, her eyes halfway close. 

“So that you can sleep?” Gao Han reached behind the seats and pulled out his blazer. He draped the clothing around the girl, who snuggled into the warmth. 

“Why am I not a tad bit surprised.” He mumbled before shifting the gear and drove off, his details in tow.


 

 

The Golden Restaurant has always been a highlight for its infrastructure. The building had traditional designs but the most iconic part would probably be the colour of the building. It was painted of the same tone as gold. But today, it was exceptionally inviting. Along the VIP parking areas, 5 luxurious convertibles lined up neatly with a few armed men patrolling. Within the building, the top VIP room was booked for a group of socialites in the Chinese society. At the round wooden table, four were already seated. Zhang Ming En was the first to arrive, then followed by the Gu executive, Gu Zhi Yang.

 

“Ming ge.” Zhi Yang greeted as he took a seat on the former’s left. 

“Zhi Yang, surprised to see you early. Dropped everything for lunch?” Ming En mused as he fist bumped the male.

“Anything for Yue Mi.” True. There was nothing they couldn’t drop for her or each other. Then they heard the voices they were so familiar of. Xu Kai and Eros emerged through the grand doors of the room, seemingly bickering about who parked first. 

“Hey, you two.” Ming En called out, successfully grabbing their attention. 

“Ming ge, Zhi Yang.” The duo greeted them unison before grabbing a seat by Ming En’s right. 

“I thought you two and lao’ Han went to pick Mi’er up. I’m missing the main character here.” Zhi Yang mused. 

“She decided to ride the Audi. “ Eros huffed, his arms crossed.

“Other than her Aston Martin and Maserati, she pretty much adores Audi.” Zhi Yang mused. The waitress came in and served up their individual tea pots. She blushed when Ming Eng thanked her.

“Zhang Ming En! Gu Zhi Yang!” The spoken character emerged by the door with Gao Han by her side. He was holding onto her bag in one hand and his blazer in the other. Yue Mi strode over to the two males before giving them each a hug.

“Finally, you. We’ve been waiting.” Zhi Yang murmured as he wrapped his arms securely around the girl. 

“Don’t worry. I’m back and ready to annoy the hell out of you guys.” Yeu Mi pulled back before taking the seat beside Zhi Yang. Soon enough, the same waitress came in and served up the newcomers’ individual teapots. Yue Mi frowned when she took a whiff of the tea served. 

“Excuse me, miss. Could you bring in a pot of Osmanthus tea. He can’t have Long Jing tea.” Yue Mi pointed to the pot in front of Gao Han. The waitress went blank for a moment before picking up the said pot and left. 

“Yue Mi and her attention to detail.” Xu Kai mused as he took a sip of his Mandarin peel Pu’er. Gao Han grinned as he rubbed the female’s hair.

“You’re not leaving again after this, right?” Ming En asked

“Not at the moment. I’ll probably finish off the project with that German company and oversee a bit on the new office in Japan. But I won’t be needed to fly around.” She hummed just as the dishes began serving up.

 

“Well, our biggest headache is here to stay.”