ONE

Hold back

Sun Yue Mi stepped out of her room, clad in a Balenciaga black oversized tee paired with denim hot shorts and a pair of Zara’s black ankle boots with side vents. She had her Charles & Keith black quilted clutch bag between her arms as she scrolled through her phone in search of a cute cafe she could hang in for the rest of the day.

How did so many of these cafes pop up? I was only away for 6 months.” The lady mumbled to herself.

 

Sun Yue Hong could hear his sister mumbling to herself from the dining table. He smiled in amusement as she sauntered in while still deep with her phone. 

Good morning sweet cheeks.”

“Good morning, ge.“ Yue Mi sighed as she plopped down by the seat beside her brother. Their parents were not up yet so it was just them having breakfast.

“Where are you off to today? Shopping or company hopping?” The elder mused as he poured his sister a glass of freshly blended mango juice. The lady scrunched her nose.

“I… honestly have no idea. My last resort is probably bothering the guys. And I already did enough shopping for the season. The Shoppes supplied me enough summer clothes.” The brother raised an eyebrow at the girl, totally doubting her words. 

“Or maybe I’ll go cafe hopping. I saw tons of new cafes around the Bund. I’ve only been away for 6 months and so many of em opened!” Yue Mi exclaimed. 

“Of course, as long as you bring the car with you. Or better, one of the guys.” 

“To babysit me?”

“Of course. You’re our baby girl.” 

Eww.” Yue Mi shuddered. 



 

 

Sweaty palms.

That was the only thing Secretary Pang could feel. Okay, maybe a mild panic attack too. He winced quietly as he struggled to calm himself down. His boss was at the borderline between snapping and walking out the door. Both were terrible options but the young executive could even do both. 

 

The managers continued to bicker and push blame on each other. There was a delay at Shenzhen’s new branch and apparently no one bothered to tell their Boss about it. Gu Zhi Yang was sitting faced to the floor-length window. His black three-piece suit contrasted with the white armchair he was sitting in. He toyed with the rings wrapped around his fingers as he stared out into the sky. Once he had enough of the noise in the room, he placed his foot harshly against the carpeted floor which stunned the managers and assistants in the room. Well, imagine stomping on a carpeted floor and it sounded as if the floor was actually marble instead, you’ll know how surprising it is. 

 

“Are you done with your wapping show?” His tone had everyone swallowing lumps in panic. Discreetly, Secretary Pang turned his chair around and sneaked to the back room to call for help, the only person who could calm his boss down.

 

“I didn’t spend thousands just to hire a bunch of wapping ducks here, singing soap operas that I’m oh-so-familliar with already. I just need an accurate answer, is there or is there not a backup plan to cover up this delay? And who’s seat should I empty if there isn’t an answer that I’m satisfied with.” It’s official, the men in the room were definitely ready to pee in their pants. Maybe even .


 

Vice President Sun, SOS!  - Secretary Pang 

 

Yue Mi had received a desperate SOS text from Zhi Yang’s secretary and she could only find his temper to be rather amusing. Coincidentally, she was just in the area. Sending the panicked man a quick reply, Yue Mi took a U-turn and headed for Gu Group of Companies’ headquarters. 

 

Upon arriving, the valet recognised her car almost immediately. He jogged up to her side and greeted her politely. The woman returned him with a smile and slipped a clean ¥100 note as a tip before striding into the building. Her arrival caught the attention of most people in the area. They were familiar with the Sun executive coming around the company and her fashion sense would always be the topic of the period. 



 

 

“Well? Can I have my answer? I don’t have all day, you know.” The young executive drummed his finger on the glass table as he kept his eyes locked on the window. He was running out of patience, fast. He probably also failed to notice how his secretary was exceptionally giddy behind him. Secretary Pang was half relieved that his saviour was coming, but he wasn’t sure how much longer will his boss hold back. Just as he noticed his boss had stopped drumming his fingers when no one replied to him, two knocks sounded through the room before the grand door was pushed open and a chestnut colored head popped into view. Almost immediately, Secretary Pang could breathe again. Vice President Sun was here - and his boss obviously had relaxed. 

 

“Uhhh, hi. I’m sorry to interrupt your meeting but I have something urgent to discuss with your boss. Care to spare me some time, lao’ er?” Sun Yue Mi had a cheeky smile on. There was nothing urgent, she just needed a bait to make everyone leave. And almost immediately, all the managers and their assistants scrambled out of the room - not forgetting to give the executive a curt bow as they passed by her.  

“Something urgent, huh?” Finally for the first time today, President Gu Zhi Yang smiled. Although he was mocking Yue Mi, he still stood up and padded towards her with one arm open and engulfed the female in a short hug.

“Well, I need to convince them I have something urgent to talk to you about. Can’t possibly tell them, ‘Oh I’m here to save your asses’.” She mused as her hands tidied Zhi Yang’s blazer and tie.

"And, can you stop scaring your employees? You legitimately still need them to run the company."

"Yeah....Nope. We're not going there."

 

The two walked out of the meeting hall and towards the lift. Secretary Pang followed closely behind the pair. Yup, only Sun Yue Mi could calm the dragon.

“How was family dinner last night?” Yue Mi cringed. 

“It was… the usual stuff. Find a boyfriend, get married, blah blah blah.” Zhi Yang chuckled as he held the elevator door for her.

“Your nai nai is just desperate for another grandchild in the household.”

“She can ask my sister-in-law to pop another one. I’m sure Keanu would appreciate another sibling.She’s just worried I’ll work for mum’s side in the end. Well, news flash! I can do both.” It was no secret that Yue Mi’s maternal family had been asking her to join them for years. She had worked at their Hong Kong headquarters before and to be honest, she preferred her maternal company. But she was a Sun, so her priority would always be the Sun’s family conglomerate. 

Gu Zhi Yang could only chuckle as his best friend threw a fit. As the lift reached the third floor, he guided his friend off the machine and towards the company cafeteria. The female continued to grumble, totally unaware of the glances thrown at her and chairman of the company she was in. 

“Alright, alright. Order something, Mi’er. The lady is waiting.” The lady paused and turned to look at the cashier before her. She flashed her a cheeky smile before ordering a iced lemon tea and a bag of choco caramel cookies.  Surprisingly, these cookies are a marvelous creation of the Gu’s company cafeteria. 

“Sweets? You’ll kick in a sugar rush again.” Zhi Yang frowned.

“It’s only 11 in the morning. The sugar will wear off… apparently” 

Uh huh.” The male raised his brow at the girl, who scoffed and pushed his face away. 

“And wait till Yi Han hears about you being at my company. He’s gonna flip, so bad.” Zhi Yang mused.

I called him, okay. He was the one who didn’t pick up. Probably somewhere at the East side. The collab with CapitaLand should almost be done this week. I remember him mentioning something about overlooking at the renovations for those branded dealerships. Prolly that.”

“Busy .”

“Well, I’m stuck in this busy circle. Boo-hoo.”