The Picnic

Be loved in house (Taiwanese bl series): My version

Jin Yu Zhen was lying with him on the floor (exactly like they had done before) dotingly smiling at him, and Shi Lei could see shining sparkles dancing in Yu Zhen's eyes. Then he reached out to Shi Lei and caressed his cheek. «Lei Lei», he whispered, «why are you so clueless and can't see I'm head over heels in love with you?» Shi Lei leaned into his touch, «You're the one who is clueless, Xiao Zhen», he giggled. «Don't call me that, only your mom is allowed to», saying that Yu Zhen started slowly planting soft kisses all over Shi Lei's face and neck. And at this very moment Shi Lei woke up, a content smile still on his face. It took him some time to realise it was just a dream. Why can't it be true? It felt so right and real. Shi Lei sighed. He suddenly remembered the previous day and the heartfelt hug they shared. Why has it suddenly become so difficult to speak to each other? I want the smiling Yu Zhen back, I want to share meals with him, to walk home together and just be there for each other.

When Shi Lei entered the kitchen he saw a post-it note on the table, «Don't forget that you've promised to go to the picnic. See you at 2 pm there.» And Yu Zhen himself was nowhere to be found. Fine, he's probably with Zi Tong again. But why did he insist that much on me going with him to this picnic? Probably, he doesn't want to be the third wheel and Zi Tong is not on very good terms with Zhao Gang, so he couldn't invite him. But isn't it what I want? To share meals and to maybe see a smiling Jin Yu Zhen. Shouldn't I be happy?

When Yu Zhen arrived to the Tanshui river everyone was already there. The plaid was spread and the food was set. Zhao Gang and Si Qi were all lovey-dovey and unbearably sweet with each other, but when he came up to them they recoiled back a bit though still looking at each other in a way both Shi Lei and Yu Zhen felt cloyed with all the sweetness 

Even though Shi Lei was sitting with his back to the approaching Yu Zhen, just before seeing him he felt an uncertain nagging ache in his chest that wasn't at all unpleasant but rather fluttering. When he turned his head he was immediately met with a something distantly resembling a smile on Yu Zhen's face. The afternoon sun shined in his hair and his eyes had those exact sparkles Shi Lai had seen in his dream that morning.

«Hi! Hope you haven't been waiting for too long», despite the fact that there were much more space on the opposite side of the plaid Yu Zhen sat down right next to surprised Shi Lei. «I'm sorry, I had to drop by the office to finish something.»

Liar, you went to meet him. Why else do you need to go to the office on Saturday morning?

«You're always so hardworking», Zhao Gang gave him a welcoming smile. «Please, help yourself»

«Right, thank you!»

The self-proclaimed matchmaker Zhao Gang was determined to put those two together. The whole picnic itself was only a pretext to make them spend some time together in a more informal setting. He was sure it could help them drop their guard and finally stop avoiding each other. It seemed like only Shi Lei and Yu Zhen themselves couldn't not see or were insecure about each other's feelings and were suffering each on their own. A nice frank talk would have solved so many problems but Zhao Gang was yet to think how to organise it.

«Guys, you should try these apples, they are incredible», a couple of minutes before saying that Zhao Gang moved the container with apples closer to himself and as far as possible from Yu Zhen. «Shi Lei, would you pass some to Yu Zhen as well?», Zhao Gang slyly winked at Si Qi. 

A bit confused Shi Lei handed an apple to his boss, but when Yu Zhen reached out to take it his fingers lingered way too long on Shi Lei's. Shi Lei didn't draw his hand back and was shyly looking down at the apple. And Yu Zhen was lovingly studying his face. Zhao Gang smiled contentedly to himself: his plan seemed to be working. 

Zhao Gang and Si Qi tried to keep the conversation light and cheerful, sometimes dragging in Shi Lei and Yu Zhen but in a way that they didn't have to keep the track of it and had the chance to concentrate on each other instead. 

«Shi Lei, don't move», whispered Yu Zhen. Then he leaned in very closely to him and the blood instantly rushed to Shi Lei's face. What is he going to do? Right here, in front of Si Qi and Zhao Gang and so many other people. «Wait, you have a bug in your hair, don't move». He gingerly took it off and Shi Lei smiled to the things he had just imagined to himself a moment ago. Their eyes met and each of them could finally see the things they had been missing so much recently. Yu Zhen slowly and stealthily moved his hand to reach Shi Lei' slender fingers. He started caressing his little finger first and then tracing intricate lines on his palm, it felt both ticklish and intoxicating and Shi Lei had almost forgotten they were not alone there. He couldn't think straight but still there was a nagging question in his head. Why is he doing this to me and what does it mean after all? Suddenly something shaded their faces from the sun. Shi Lei promptly snatched his hand away and turned back only to find a smug Zi Tong towering over them. 

«Hello everyone! What a surprise! I was just walking in the park on my day off and here you are», he kneeled down in between Shi Lei and Yu Zhen, «Hope you don't mind. The weather is beautiful today!», he smiled at Yu Zhen in his usual flirty way and then turned to the rest of the group. «So you don't mind, do you?»

Zhao Gang opened his mouth ready to protest, but... 

«Sure not», Shi Lei was the first to defreeze. «And I was just about to leave anyways, so it's nice you're going to join and keep the guys company.» I just can't stand seeing them together, it's the right decision, I should leave. I wouldn't be surprised if Yu Zhen himself had told him about the picnic. «Have fun, everyone! Your cooking is awesome as usual, Zhao Gang. See you in the office, Si Qi, bye!» Yu Zhen moved towards Shi Lei but he was already walking away.