Part 2

The Person I Used To Be
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I’m in the bathroom when I hear the bell ringing. I was about to go out, but I decide to stay inside. I’m not sure I’m ready to meet all those people. They’re my friends, at least that’s what I was told, and it’s probably true if I refer to all the conversations I have with them on my messaging app. I was able to learn a bit about them through what we said to each other before, but everything is still foggy, like I’m trying to binge-watch twelve seasons of a TV show in about an hour. I can’t remember for the life of me who’s who and who likes what.

There are voices in the staircase, which means Olivia has opened the door to let everybody come in. My hand is on the handle of the door. I’ll come out soon. I just need a few more moments.

“Alex, Keith, come on in!” Olivia shouts as other voices overlap hers.

“Liv! It’s been so long!” a feminine voice answers. I think it’s Alex. “Maddie and Quinn are just behind us, we saw them parking when we got in,” she continues.

I’m coming out now. I slowly open the bathroom door and they’re right in front of me, across the hall. The girl’s face brightens up and the guy smiles.

“Taemin! I’m so happy to finally meet you again!” she says with joy in her voice. I come closer, wave my hand, and say ‘hi’. I don’t know what else to tell them.

“Hi, Taemin. I’m Keith,” the guy says with a smile as he extends his hand. I shake it. I hope he doesn’t notice how clammy my hand is. “Is it okay that we introduce ourselves?” he asks.

“Yes, thank you, Keith. I appreciate it.” I truly do.

“Hi guys!” another voice says. “Hello, Taemin! I’m Madeleine, and that’s Quinn,” she introduces herself and gestures to the boy behind her.

“Maddie! I have your book, come get it before I forget,” Olivia shouts before hugging Madeleine. They both go to the small home office and I’m left alone with everybody else.

“Matt and Ruth will be late,” Keith states as he checks his phone. “No news from Minho,” he adds. I shiver. That name means something to me, but I have no idea what.

They all go towards the living room and I follow them as if I was a guest at my own place. Alex seems to know the apartment, as she starts to open some cupboards and put stuff on the coffee table for us to eat.

“So…” I start hesitantly. “How do we know each other, exactly?” I hope they’ll understand and won’t be offended.

“We went to university together, we met there,” Alex says with enthusiasm.

“Oh, the same place where I met Olivia?” I ask as I try to put the pieces together.

“Yes. You, me, Olivia, Maddie, Matthew, and Minho,” Alex explains.

“Okay. And, you are…?” I ask as I gesture towards Keith and Quinn.

“We are plus ones turned friends,” Keith says jokingly. I nod.

Olivia and Maddie come back into the living room and there’s noise in the entry hall. Three more people enter the apartment and I feel it’s becoming really crowded.

“Hey guys, sorry we’re late. Minho was picking us up and he was late at our place,” the guy—Matthew, I suppose—explains as he grabs a beer.

Matthew introduces himself and his girlfriend Ruth to me. I try to listen to them but my eyes go towards the only person that didn’t properly introduce themselves. Minho. He catches me looking but instantly looks elsewhere.

As I’m sitting on the couch and sipping my beer, I try to follow the different conversations going on, but there are a lot. Once catches my attention, though.

“So, Minho, you came alone? I thought you’d bring your plus one tonight,” Madeleine asks him.

“Yeah, something came up, sorry,” Minho says very quietly. So quietly I’m not sure I understood well.

“You fought? Again?”

Minho nods. Whatever is happening in his relationship, I hope it’s not too bad. I don’t like knowing he’s not happy. I’m caught by surprise by that though.

Someone puts the music louder and I can’t hear anyone talking anymore. I close my eyes and can’t refrain from moving my head in rhythm. The alcohol gets to me and I start to feel dizzy, but in a good way. Several people have gotten up and started dancing. I want to join them. So I do.

I move my hips left and right, and my upper body just follows the movement. It feels natural. My feet are moving by themselves as I’m turning around, making myself even dizzier. Hands held high above me, I bend my head backward, and a thought goes through me. It’s good to be alive. I’ll figure out the rest in due time.

An elbow bumps into my side and I realize I’m not alone in the apartment. There are people around me, also dancing. Some of them even try to replicate my movements. As I look at them, I suddenly feel extremely self-conscious. What if they’re making fun of me?

“Come on, Taemin! Keep dancing!” Ruth shouts as she nudges me. She takes my hands into hers and starts dancing with me. They might not be making fun of me, then.

I continue dancing with her for a while. She’s a fun partner for that. She smiles and moves along the music with me, following

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter