Chapter Two

A Sunrise to Remember
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

As I said before, the folks in Little Sunrise don't have the luxury to witness the beauty of the sun rising. The town was located between two mountains. Living between those mountains, day and night we regularly experience a little rainfall regardless of the seasons. Often, the sky would be in colors of dark gray and the white clouds would cover the sun, giving us a little ray of sunshine or just completely gloomy skies. This phenomenon caused tourist who loves the rain or the dark to stay for a day, a week, or a month inside the town. The visitation of tourists boosted the town's economic state, resulting in being one of the richest residential communities in South Korea. The people who resided in the Little Sunrise, live a very comfortable lifestyle. For instance, the townspeople live in very pleasant residences. The houses around mostly have a second floor, a porch, and an average backyard where people hold small gatherings. There are also several inns, restaurants, and convenience stores in every corner of the community. Basically, no one inside this borough was poor, or unable. We are literally living in a utopian world, which caused some other thorps to feel insecure about us. Through the ages, being influenced by the world's constant changes, it keeps improving, and you could say that things are already beautiful in 1982. Despite these changes, traditions will always remain.

 

As a sign of gratitude for the blessings the town constantly sustains, during the administration of my late grandfather, he comes up with the idea to hold a town festival for the tourist who keeps coming back to take a vacation inside the modest premises of the Little Sunrise and for the townspeople. It was a huge Christmas feast on the night of Christmas Eve. All the people in town would be gathered in Solstice Garden, the only and the largest park of the Little Sunrise. They were a hundred volunteers who wanted to prepare the feast. Earning huge success and positive responses, my grandfather decided to make it a tradition which is also a primary duty - to keep the traditions alive by whoever assumed the leadership. Over the years, it became a norm inside to celebrate Christmas Eve pompously. And every feast had the main event, such as a competition, like singing or dancing; a simple gathering with enough activities through the night; and a Christmas play, you can name it.

 

That year, my brother Jungsoo decided to make it a youth concert for a cause where townfolks who wanted to share their talents can perform. The proceedings will be donated to a charity. Mr. Kim Heechul, the director of the school suggested that the performers should be the youth to emphasize the theme of the concert. Therefore, the Pleasant Hill Academy students would be the main performer for this Christmas banquet. Many students were intrigued about this when the director announced that the registration for the students who wanted to perform was posted on the notice board. I, who haven't got a slight interest in music didn't bother to sign up of course, as well as my friends. We'd like it if we just enjoy the feast without dreading something that we know we can't do well. Now and then, I witnessed a few students in front of the notice board put their names on the list, and this included Kim Jonghyun, the brother of the school director, the person whom I needed to protect.

 

Kim Jonghyun was a nice boy. He really was. He was a senior student like me. Having one school inside the small town, we've been in the same class practically our entire lives. And even if it was like a lifetime, I have only spoken to him once. During our first grade in elementary, the year when I first met him, Ms. Boa, our class adviser back then assigned me to share a table with him for the entire school year. We have a few conversations, but it was only limited to school-related chit-chats. Like when I needed to borrow an eraser or when I was having difficulties comprehending our lessons; I wasn't the brightest kid you know. Despite those brief contact, I never tried to be friends with him. Maybe because even when we're kids, I am already seeing him in a different light. What I mean by that is Jonghyun, in my own definition, was too complex to understand.

 

It's not that he's unattractive, in fact, he had the visuals and body proportions that most girls would fall for. Especially being the brother of the school director, who looks so pretty for a man, there's no doubt he would inherit those good genes. He had those big brown orbs, that every time you would take a glance, it looks like sparkling. His fluffy natural brown hair suits him. His face was like a masterpiece that even if his uneven nostrils look so handsome. He used to dress simply yet fashionably. His physical features were unique in that he looked like a puppy due to his short stature. On the outside, he seemed like a normal guy. But what made him different, at least for me, was the way how he acted.

 

Jonghyun was the kind of kid who you won't spot running around in a playground. Instead, you will see him seating on one of those benches around the area, clutching a thick opened book, and being absorbed in reading. He actively participated in every class earning the top spot in the list of honorable students. When we are in the first year of high school, during lunch breaks, you would always see him seating alone and writing something in his notebook, which he called song lyrics, rather than fooling around as everyone else does; nor talking with anyone. He was practically alone all the time, and I wonder how he is okay with that. Though not friendless, I have never seen him even once in my life with somebody, or be adventurous or socialize. He spends most of his time helping people; be they strangers or someone he knows, and he won't limit his good deeds. If he is not helping someone in need on campus, he spends his time inside the music room and would only come out for the next class. Outside of school, he rarely got out of their home to attend some high school parties to try alcohol, smoke, or take drugs. He was the kind of guy, who would never be involved in any kind of trouble. And almost the whole population of the town adored him. He was the perfect kid, they'd say.

 

If you ask the folks around about us, they will surely answer that we are the ideal embodiment of the polar opposite. While I was hated for my bad behavior, he was loved for his kindness. That's why it's ridiculous for me to do the protection business, and I began to deliberate on the reason behind this. Even though there are many bullies around the school, no one wasn't able to harm him. Maybe it's because he was the brother of Kim Heechul, no one in the right mind will challenge themselves to make fun of the director's brother. Even my gang was careful not to cross paths with him, especially every time I messed up the director was there to save my . Though our carefulness didn't limit us to make fun of him; we still talk about him behind his back. And that was the thing I was worried about; surely my gang will make fun of me, or be abashed to associate themselves with me once they find out about this whole fiasco. I can imagine the students snickering and whispering when they spot the two of us entering the campus premises.

 

What made this whole protection more ridiculous was that I had to be with him even outside the school. I had to accompany him to every place he went. The last time I checked, not a single crime happened in the Little Sunrise after my family began our dynasties. The town was peaceful enough that if you wanna go for a stroll in the wee hours of the night, you won't face catastrophe; even if you have accidentally forgotten to lock your doors, there won't be bulgar rubbery. In all honesty, this wasn't a difficult job to do; I just have to act like a good friend who was keeping him company. The only problem was we were not friends, and I had no idea how I should act around him.

 

I was contemplating my life choices one Monday morning in November when I found myself walking on the "Odd Eye" street leading to Kim's mansion. A backpack was hanging on my back, and the hood of my jacket is covering my head against the little drizzle of the rain. My hands were hidden inside the pockets of my jeans to keep them warm, and my black sneakers are making a faint sound against the ground. It was the first day of my duty as a protector, and I have to pick up Jonghyun and walk with him to school. His house was a few blocks away from mine and Pleasant Hill. You've been wondering why I have to walk with him when he was the brother of the school director, he can hitch a ride with him. Well, he used to do that, but this was included in the "job description". I really didn't have a choice, did I?

 

I was standing on the porch in front of a big house painted beige while I roamed my eyes around. The Kim residence was the second from us, having the largest house in the town. It was big, yet not grand. You can see the humbleness of the family by just looking at it. A garden beside it and a cherry blossom tree with a rope swing were attached to it. And I remember I always had a glimpse of Jonghyun swinging on it when we were younger whenever I passed by this house. I didn't pay much attention during those times, but I could tell how happy Jonghyun looked whenever he was there. I glanced back at the wooden door. My eyes darted to the small cast iron bell hanging beside the door. I was about to ring it, announcing my arrival, but I held back when I heard faint voices coming from inside.

 

"Hyung, why did you have to do that?" I heard someone says. It was the most solemn voice I had ever heard.

 

"I'm just worried okay?" The other voice answered. "I did it because I am worried that something might ha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter