Chapter 2: rooftop

A fated meeting

Summer break ends with little excitement. Sinb was not expecting much out of her break since Yerin and Sowon were both away with their families. And Sinb’s parents were both overseas so she was forced to spend summer break alone, whether she liked it or not. It wasn’t bad at all because she had finally caught up on all the sleep she had lost.

“Hmm what should I eat for lunch today?” 

Sinb scans the arrangement of bread and drinks in the crowded student cafeteria. After five minutes of contemplation, she goes with the usual ham and cheese sandwich. She pays the cashier and makes her way to the school’s rooftop. 

The rooftop was her sanctuary. There were no students or teachers around to bother her. Well, to be truthful, no one was allowed on the rooftop. Sinb wasn’t sure how she ended up on the rooftop on her first day of school, but she has been coming every day. This was a little space where only she could go. This was a place where she could run to, in hopes of taking a quick break from all the commotions of life. She loved overlooking the school, especially when the sunlight dances off her milky skin and the soft breeze blows through her hair. 

However, there was a lingering thought in the back of her mind. This thought had not gone away ever since she met that girl. Sinb could not help but imagine how the girl is doing. 

“I wonder if she’s at school right now?”

Deep down, Sinb hoped that she could trip over that grocery basket once more just to see the girl again. 

“AHHHHH!!!! Why am I like this? This is so stupid.....”

Sinb yells at the top of lungs, forgetting that there were students who could hear her. Realizing this, she quickly peeks over the fence that wrapped itself around the rooftop. The students were still going about their business and it seemed like no one heard her.

“Phew, I almost got myself in trouble”

 

But Sinb couldn’t help but smile. She really was stupid for having feelings for a girl that she had only met once. Sinb doesn’t even know the girls name. All of this did not make sense and Sinb knew the chances of meeting the girl again was almost impossible. And even if she did see the girl again, she would not have the courage to even look at her. 


 

The bell rang. 

 

“ I was too busy talking to myself that I forgot lunch ended”

Sinb curses as she races down the stairs. The only thing on her mind was that she was going to get an earful from the teacher. 

“Yahhhh can today get any worse?!?!!??!?!”

As she races down the stairs, with the occasional cursing, she forgot that there was a strict rule that prohibited running in the hallways. She thought this was stupid and wasn’t sure why it even existed, but she was about to find out, the hard way. 

 

As she makes a sharp turn towards the hallway leading to her classroom, she sees a dark shadow on her left and before she could scream or make any noise, everything turned pitch black. It felt like her left lung flew out of . Her vision was blurry and she was struggling to breathe. As her eyes start to focus again, she starts to make out the dark figure in front of her. 

“Oh my god. I’m so sorry. Are you okay?!”

As Sinb repeatedly apologizes, she noticed that the other girl had managed to move aside, just as Sinb was turning the corner. However, Sinb got the wind knocked out of her because she had ran into the wall, in attempts of swerving away from the figure. 

 

As her eyes finally focused, she wished she had hit the wall a bit harder. Standing in front of her, with the soft patches of sunlight reflecting off her milky skin, was the girl from the grocery store.

 

“Oh my god....”

Sinb screams internally. 

 

All of a sudden, she feels light headed. 

 

“Hey, are you okay? You should go to the nurse.”

The girl worriedly asks. 

“I’m.. I’m okay. I’m sorry for running into you! I’m glad that you are okay. I should get to class now.....”

 

As Sinb turns, the girl grabs her hand. Her soft and warm hand sends butterflies through Sinb’s stomach.

“Wait. We have met before, right? Were you the girl that tripped over my grocery basket...”

The girl asks, voice full of concern and curiosity. 


 

“ she remembers me....”

 

Sinb slowly turns around and tries to muster a smile. 

 

“Oooohhh yea! We have met before...”

Sinb nervously smiles. Deep down she was terrified of what the girl would say next. And the fact that the girl was staring at her intently, it made her even more dizzy.

“Well, nice to meet you! My name is Yuju!”

Yuju warmly introduces herself. 

Sinb’s mind was racing for a cool way to introduce herself but what ended up coming out was,

“Uhhh my name is Sinb”

Yuju smiles at the mention of Sinb’s name.

“ sinb what are you so lame?!?!?! She probably thinks you’re werido!!!”

Sinb silently curses at herself. Before she gets into a mental fight with herself, she looks up and sees that Yuju is looking at her. No, she was staring straight into her eyes. Sinb noticed how beautiful and warm Yuju’s eyes were. Her gaze pierces through every single cell in Sinb’s body. And Sinb could not help but stare back. 

“Well, you better get to class, Sinb. Please do not run in the hallways next time or I might have to punish you.”

With that, Yuju walks away, with her long, black hair falling just below her shoulders. 

After what seemed like an eternity, Sinb snaps out her trance and slowly makes her way to class. However, there were thoughts lingering on her mind, 

“What does she mean by punishing me? Is that even legal? Oh my god is she into THAT stuff??!?!?”

Sinb shivers at that thought. 

Little did she know, their encounter has caused the wheel of fate to turn.