I Will Follow You into the Dark

The Only Constant in an Avalanche of Change
now playing
I Will Follow You into the Dark 
- PAGE 2   -
0:00 ●─────────── -5:06
◁  ||  ▷

Love of mine

Someday you will die

But I’ll be close behind

I’ll follow you into the dark


 

Jongin wakes up in the middle of the night with a heavy weight on his chest. Literally.

Kyungsoo may be small, but that doesn’t change the fact that he weighs heavier than most people his size. Jongin’s got no problem with carrying Kyungsoo but the shorter can compete with an octopus with how he latches on to Jongin when they sleep. It’s as much of a hassle as it’s adorable.

Jongin slowly brushes Kyungsoo’s hair off of his forehead, not even bothering to be careful considering Kyungsoo can sleep through an earthquake.

He’s done it once and Jongin was there to witness it.

 

He’d just got back to the basketball practice with Chanyeol and he immediately barged into Kyungsoo’s room, not even bothering with knocking. He stared at Kyungsoo’s adorable sleeping form for a bit, taking in the soft rise and fall of his chest before he grabbed on to the shorter to wake him.

Before he can though, the earth beneath him shook.

He gripped the headboard of Kyungsoo’s bed and stared as the youngest Do slept on, utterly dead to the world.

 

Jongin snorts at the memory as he repositions them so that the shorter one’s head is on the pillow but doesn’t change the way their legs tangle beneath the sheets. He places an arm on his own head and continues to stare at Kyungsoo, sleep forgotten as he traces Kyungsoo’s nose with his pinky finger.

Kyungsoo has the best nose that Jongin has ever seen. It’s small but not overly so, perfectly complimenting the rest of his face. Jongin’s aware that he’s biased but Kyungsoo’s face is the only one that he considers perfect. He never wants to change any of it, even if given the chance.

His eyes, some may say, are too wide but Jongin thinks it makes Kyungsoo look more naive even though he knows he’s not. Jongin’s finger lightly brushes across Kyungsoo’s eyelashes.

It’s the same eyes that looked up to Jongin with tears in his eyes as his sandcastle was taken down by the sea water. Jongin was prepared to fight off the entire ocean for him. As young and as dumb as he was at the age of seven, he actually did try, as stupid as it sounds.

He stomped his foot on the water and even tried punching it, almost drowning in the process of avenging Kyungsoo and his little sandcastle.

He’ll do it all over again. He’ll fight the entire world for him, even if it comes crashing down.

 

 

No blinding light

Or tunnels, to gates of white

Just our hands clasped so tight

Waiting for the hint of a spark

 

“I’ll cook.” Jongin declares loudly, strutting into the Do’s kitchen comfortably in nothing but a shirt and boxers.

Kyungsoo halts his step, eyes looking incredulously at Jongin who takes out a pan.

“No, you’re not.” He replies and takes the pan away from the taller. He puts it down on the stove and reaches for the refrigerator’s handle in order to take food to cook before a hand blocks him off.

“I’m cooking.” Jongin insists and places his hands on Kyungsoo’s shoulders, intending to let him sit down on the counter.

“You’re not,” Kyungsoo stops and turns to look up at him. “Remember the last time you tried to cook?”

“I only burned a towel, not the whole kitchen.”

Kyungsoo gives him a look and ducks on Jongin’s arms in order to get the food. When the taller attempts to take the pack of bacon from him, Kyungsoo throws him a glare.

“Kim Jongin, I’m telling you right now that if you won’t stop asking me to cook, I will throw this pack of bacon at your head.” Kyungsoo blurts out, the hands holding the bacon raised up, ready to throw.

Jongin only stares at him, his eyes twitching. “It’s frozen.”

“It’ll hurt more.” Kyungsoo says back, eyes unwavering.

Jongin sighs dramatically before he sits down on one of the chairs in the counter. “I was just trying to say thank you for yesterday.” He grumbles under his breath, eyes following Kyungsoo’s movements.

“You don’t need to say thank you.” Kyungsoo replies back, grabbing three eggs from the tray, guessing that Jongin will want seconds.

“But I want to.” Jongin blurts out.

Kyungsoo takes a moment, staring at the eggs on his hands before a thought occurs to him. He looks up at Jongin and places the eggs on the counter before walking around it to step in front of Jongin, fitting himself perfectly between the taller’s thighs.

“I had a nightmare.” He says softly, eyes latching on to the taller’s ears, unable to look at him straight in the eye.

“Do you wanna tell me about it?” Jongin asked as his hands automatically latch onto Kyungsoo’s hips, holding him close.

Kyungsoo shakes his head. Jongin only looks at him patiently, waiting.

“I don’t like Soohyun.” Kyungsoo grumbles, hands reaching out and fiddling on Jongin’s ear. The piercing that he got when they were in high school never really went away.

Jongin smiles a little before pulling Kyungsoo into a hug, head resting on top of the shorter. Kyungsoo’s arms naturally wrap around his neck. “Okay.” he whispers as he places a kiss on top of Kyungsoo’s head.
 

 

If Heaven and Hell decide that they both are satisfied

Illuminate the no’s on their vacancy signs

If there’s no one beside you when your soul embarks

Then I’ll follow you into the dark

 

Kyungsoo checks his phone for the ninth time, brows furrowing when he sees that Jongin’s last message to him still hasn’t changed. The “On my way :)” almost mocking him.

He’s been waiting here on their usual diner with Chanyeol for over an hour and Jongin still hasn’t arrived. He’s getting peckish but doesn’t really wanna eat without Jongin.

Chanyeol’s not as patient though.

He scarfs down his burger, not even caring that he’s best friend hasn’t even arrived yet.

“You’re so rude.” Kyungsoo says judgingly, eyeing the spot of ketchup on Chanyeol’s nose.

He’ll never understand how Baekhyun manages to put up with him.

“Just order ahead. Jongin won’t mind.” Chanyeol says, not even pausing his mutilation to the burger.

“I know he won’t. I just don’t want to.” Kyungsoo grumbles before looking at his phone again, missing the way Chanyeol stops eating and looks at him firmly.

Chanyeol puts his burger down and clears his throat, unwavering eyes trained on Kyungsoo.

“What?” the shorter asks, wary of the way his brother suddenly got quiet.

Chanyeol takes a sip of his milkshake before he answers. “What happened to Soohyun?”

Kyungsoo freezes, hands halfway through taking his phone to check on it again. Forcing himself to move, he grabs his phone and doesn’t look at Chanyeol as he answers. “Jongin probably got tired of her.” 

“That’s bull and you know it.”

Kyungsoo snaps his eyes towards Chanyeol, glaring at him balefully. “I really don’t care about his lover of the week, Chan.”

“You cared enough to ask him to stop seeing her.” Chanyeol replies back, voice turning serious.

“I didn’t ask him to stop seeing her.” Kyungsoo softly points out, voice going smaller.

He really doesn’t like it when his brother turns serious.

Chanyeol scoffs hard, face disbelieving. “What, he just woke up one day and thought ‘I’m breaking up with Soohyun today.’?”

Kyungsoo shrugs a shoulder. “Isn’t that what he usually does?”

“Yes, but only after a week of dating them. She didn’t even last a day.” Chanyeol points out before sighing, eyes willing Kyungsoo to look at him. “Look, I know Jongin is a manwhore but he always says that it’s important for him to wait for at least a week before he breaks up with the people he dates.”

“She really must have been a then.” Kyungsoo snaps out, eyes trained on the table in front of him, refusing to look at Chanyeol.

“Kyungsoo,” Chanyeol softly calls out, voice sounding tired. With that, Kyungsoo hesitantly looks up at his brother. “Jongin isn’t yours.”

Kyungsoo clenches his hands beneath the table, his nails biting down on his palms. 

It’s not that he doesn’t know that. Of course he knows. He’s Jongin’s best friend and Jongin’s his but that doesn’t mean he owns Jongin. He’s never really stopped Jongin from going after people before. After all, Jongin has had many conquests prior to Soohyun. It just so happens that Kyungsoo doesn’t like her, never mind the fact that it has to do with what she said that she’s taking Jongin away from Kyungsoo.

It’s absurd. She’s absurd.

No one’s taking Jongin away from him. He knows that he will always be Jongin’s priority in the same way that Jongin will always be his.

It doesn’t matter how much men and women Jongin s, as long as at the end of the day, Kyungsoo’s the one to hold on to his hands in the dark.

It has always been that way ever since they have been children. It will always be that way.

“I know.”  Kyungsoo says quietly, forcing down the bile that seems to be coming up his throat.

“I’m not saying you guys should stop being best friends. That’s ridiculous.” Chanyeol carefully takes Kyungsoo’s right hand and squeezes it reassuringly. “I’m just looking out for the both of you. It’s not healthy to be so dependent on your best friend.”

Kyungsoo nods numbly, not really paying attention anymore.

 

 

4:05 ─────────●── -1:01
◁  ||  ▷
author's note

Hope you enjoyed reading! <3

5:06 ───────────● -0:00
◁  ↺  ▷

B:rewind (A) layout by sn