Be Your Everything

The Only Constant in an Avalanche of Change
now playing
Be Your Everything 
- PAGE 1  -
0:00 ●─────────── -5:06
◁  ||  ▷
Kyungsoo’s phone beeps as he hastily puts on his jeans, almost tripping as he tries to reach for it on the foot of his bed. With his height and the short length of his arms, he only succeeds in knocking it off of the bed.

Grunting in frustration, he slowly but forcefully pulls up his jeans, managing to somehow make it fit even though it seemed to have shrunk with how much his mother washes it. Mrs. Do can hardly be blamed when Kyungsoo has used the pants to death.

Wishing Jongin a painful death, Kyungsoo snatches his phone from the floor and quickly goes over the text.

‘Chanyeol’s driving us to Jongdae’s. I’ll see you there, right?’ 

Kyungsoo types up a short “Ok” in response as he stuffs his phone in the pockets of his hoodie. He looks around in his room, hoping that something will come up so that he would not have to face Jongin and the whole basketball team.

Yes, he’s the one who promised Jongin that he’ll go to the after-party if they won the game, but how was he to know that they were actually going to win? Everyone knows how their University’s team has been the laughing stock with their low performance. 

His own brother and Jongin was basically the only saving grace of their team.

Not to be biased or anything.

Cursing the taller for winning the game, Kyungsoo goes to the party at Jongdae’s.
 

 

The loud blaring music greets Kyungsoo as soon as he steps into the place. Jongdae’s house is packed with sweaty people who are probably too wasted to even know what they’re doing. The crowd being drunk also means there would be a lesser need for him to interact and socialize when they’re wrapped in their own worlds.

Purposely arriving late has always done its job well.

Looking for Jongin isn’t a hard task especially when he and Kyungsoo’s brother towers over most people. He immediately heads their way, all the while trying to avoid the teeming people’s sweaty bodies.

As soon as he gets close enough, he spots Jongin talking to a girl. Kyungsoo briefly recognizes her as Soohyun, a sophomore art student.

Kyungsoo swallows down the lump on his throat, the scene in front of him not unfamiliar. It’s quite known how Jongin has always been a flirt, be it a man or a woman, the taller doesn’t really care. He flirts and dates as if it’s nothing and being his best friend, Kyungsoo has faced the same exact situations for as long as he can remember.

He can’t really do anything except leave him be so he turns towards his brother instead who grins at him with his arms spread out.

“My favourite brother!” Chanyeol exclaims wildly, eyes glassy and obviously very very wasted.

Kyungsoo rolls his eyes, a small smile on his lips, as he’s swallowed by Chanyeol’s tight hug. “I’m your only brother.”

Chanyeol may be idiotic, loud, and most of the times, irritating but Kyungsoo can’t really deny his fondness for his only brother. They may not be blood related but their mothers have always made them feel like they’re blood related with how they coddle the both of them. 

He slowly extracts himself from the hug as Chanyeol puts his heavy arms around him. “Don’t you have something you want to say to your hyung?”. The taller wiggles his brows at him which elicited a small snicker from Kyungsoo.

“Congratulations on the win, hyung.”

“What, no congratulations for me?” A voice suddenly speaks up from their back.

Chanyeol removes his arms on Kyungsoo as they turn to the voice behind them.

Kim Jongin spreads his arms out, the same stance that Chanyeol had made earlier, his right hand gripping a bottle of soju. Soohyun shifts around behind him, obviously uncomfortable with being ignored.

Jongin staggers forward, obviously too drunk to properly stand.

Kyungsoo sighs as he leans in on Jongin, his outstretched arms immediately encasing Kyungsoo in a warm hug.

Ignoring his wildly beating heart, Kyungsoo stands on his tip toes and directs his mouth near Jogin’s left ear. “Congratulations, Nini.” 

Jongin tightens his hug as he sways the both of them in place. “Thank you,” He stops swaying them and kisses the top of Kyungsoo’s head.

Kyungsoo closes his eyes, heart beat in sync with the loud music’s beat. Jongin has always been a tactile person but lately, they’ve rarely hugged each other because of Jongin’s last ex boyfriend who got so jealous of Kyungsoo that he asked Jongin to choose between the two of them.

It was comical, really. The two of them have always been this way and Jongin’s lover of the week isn’t ever going to change that. Or at least that’s what Kyungsoo tells himself.

Suddenly remembering that they’re not alone, Kyungsoo extracts himself from the hug and acknowledges Soohyun with a little nod.

“I’m Soohyun.” She introduces herself curtly, looking so out of place and uncomfortable.

“Kyungsoo.” He shakes her hand before dropping it entirely, looking everywhere but at her.

“The man of the game!” Chanyeol’s booming voice surprises all of them as he drops an arm around Jongin.

“Man! You were great too!” Jongin answers back almost as enthusiastically. The both of them continue their loud conversation as they slowly leave to talk to their other team members. Kyungsoo and Soohyun are left with each other, an awkward air hanging around them. 

“So,” Soohyun starts and Kyungsoo has to fight every nerve in his body not to close his eyes because God forbid— “Are you guys together?”

Kyungsoo’s head snapped towards her, his eyes getting even larger as he looked at her— dumbstruck.

It’s not unusual for people to ask them that even though he never really understood why. It’s not like they act like they’re together. They’re just really-comfortable-with-being-touchy best friends.

No matter how much he hears it being asked, that doesn’t stop him from always being flustered with the question though, especially when it comes from Jongin’s conquests of the week.

“No,” Kyungsoo shakes his head as he removes his eyes from Soohyun’s, finding it hard to look at her. “No, we’re not. I’m his best friend.”

She shifts beside him and turns to face him. “So you won’t mind it when we get together?”

‘When and not if.  How confident.’ Kyungsoo thinks to himself, a smirk tugging at his lips before he forces it down.

“Why would I mind?” he asks back, eyes trained on Jongin and Chanyeol laughing.

“As they always say, best friends always come second to girlfriends.” Soohyun mutters, voice condescending, as if she has something to prove.

Kyungsoo let out a scoff, eyes amused as he turned to Soohyun. “Are you saying you’re gonna take him away from me?”

She rolled her eyes, “I didn’t exactly say that. However, I’m not gonna act as if I don’t know you’re in love with him. Especially if I want him too.”

They both turn their head towards Jongin and Chanyeol as they loudly make their way towards them, the taller of the two basically dragging the other one, probably too wasted to even walk properly.

Eyes burning through Jongin, Kyungsoo tilts his head to the side, voice confident and unshaking. “You can try.”

He knows that no matter what happens or whoever it is that Jongin dates, he’d never be replaced. He’s aware that Jongin would always put him above anyone else first. As arrogant as that sounds, he knows it’s the truth.

“I think you should take Jongin home. He’s too wasted.” Chanyeol suddenly addresses Kyungsoo, practically dumping Jongin’s limp body towards him.

“I can take him home.” Soohyun offers, but Kyungsoo shakes his head.

“His parents don’t know you.” He says as nonchalantly as he can. After all, he can never resist a good barb. 

“Take him home to ours. I’m sure mom and mama won’t mind.” Chanyeol utters, completely ignoring Soohyun.

“You’re not going home?”

Chanyeol shakes his head. “I’m sleeping over.”

Kyungsoo nods his head and leads Jongin out of the house and towards his car, leaving Soohyun behind, eyes never looking back.
 

 

As soon as they step in on the front door, Jongin stumbles in, heading straight to Kyungsoo’s room. The lights are all out which indicates that Kyungsoo and Chanyeol’s parents are probably asleep. Kyungsoo follows Jongin as he staggers while walking, making an effort to make as little noise as possible.

Kyungsoo snorts as Jongin immediately falls to the bed, face down. Not wanting to get dirt on his bed, he removes Jongin’s shoes and socks before heading out of the room to get a glass of water.

When he comes back into the room, Jongin is sitting on the floor, leaning on the foot of his bed as a song plays on his phone. He recognizes the song. Jongin always plays it whenever they’re alone.

 

Four letter word but I don’t have the guts to say it

Smile til it hurts, let’s not make it complicated

We’ve got a story but I’m about to change the ending

You’re perfect for me

You’re more than just a friend so we can just stop pretending now

I gotta let you know somehow.

 

Kyungsoo sets the glass on the table beside his bed and sits down next to Jongin. 

“Thank you.” the taller suddenly croaks out, voice deep and heavy, eyes trained on Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo looks back at him and smiles before he leans his head on Jongin’s shoulders. In turn, Jongin leans his head on Kyungsoo’s.

 

I’ll be your shelter, I’ll be your storm

I’ll make you shiver, I’ll make you warm

Whatever weather, Baby I’m yours

I’ll be your forever, be your fling

Baby I will be your everything

 

This isn’t the first time they sat in silence in either of their rooms, doing nothing but listening to this particular song on repeat.

Kyungsoo’s not stupid. He knows exactly what the song means. He knows what Jongin has always been telling him. He feels it too. He feels it so much it scares him.

This, right here, sitting beside his best friend in the dark of his own room, always feels like coming home.

He doesn’t want that to change.

4:05 ─────────●── -1:01
◁  ||  ▷
author's note

 This is the first out of seven??? I think? Not too sure but I hope you liked it!

5:06 ───────────● -0:00
◁  ↺  ▷

B:rewind (A) layout by sn