Six

Trace of Emotion

Eric eyeing his best friend curiously—it was weird enough for him to found Minwoo already wake at this hour, and saw Minwoo prepared breakfast for them, definitely weirder.

 

“Did something happened?” Eric pull out one of the chair beside Minwoo and sit, “you bought this for us?”

 

“Yak! Not that flavour!” Minwoo snatched back the soft milk-bun from Eric’s hand. “It Wan’s favourite.”

 

“Okay?”

 

“Today is his last day to delivering the milks in this neighborhood,” Minwoo said casually, “just think I want to do something for him, he must be feeling bittersweet, right?”

 

The excited glaze from Minwoo, confused Eric a lot. It reminds him the days Minwoo fell in love with Dongwan years ago.  “Did I miss something? Both of you already made up or what?”

 

“Of course not,” Minwoo shrugged his shoulder, “But after I dropped him off a few days ago, we’re kinda on speaking term, right now?”

 

“You sound unsure?”

 

“I am,” Minwoo nods and smiled a bit, “I was thinking a lot, and I think, I’ll tell him.”

 

Eric was kinda taken aback by Minwoo revelation, “Suddenly? What’s made you change your mind?”

 

“I only has four weeks, Ric. But if I leave without explaining myself, the last memories I’ll have about him were his sad face, his teary eyes, and his hurtful expression. I don’t want him to hate himself. I think, I couldn’t live my life with that.”

 

“Ahh finally, my special stupid found his brain a bit.” 

 

“YAK!”

 

“Just do that soon, then we can throw you a farewell party or something,” Eric smirked a little, “four weeks, huh?” but then his lips dropped a bit, after Dongwan—he’ll be the one who miss Minwoo a lot, he’s sure of it.

 

Minwoo rolled his eyes but also looking at Eric fondly, “No need, just take one day off for me, let’s get wasted. You’re so busy lately.”

 

Hugged Minwoo from his side like a sloth. Eric blew his breathe on Minwoo’s ear, made him shuddered.

 

“Yak! Let me go you weirdo!”

 

“Nuuh, let’s just do this till you go! We only have four weeks my Minbongie!”

 

“Do I need to know why both of you already being lovey dovey at this hour?” Hyesung still in his pajama, crossing the kitchen and passing them, grabing his mug from the drawer, “and what’s four weeks? you have plan?”

 

Surprised, the best friends let go each other, and straighten their sitting position, like a kids waiting to be scolded.

 

“And, why we have lot of buns?”

 

“Minwoo bought it for Dongwannie,” Eric replied fast, relieved that Hyesung added another question, “It’s Dongwan last day as a milk-delivering man, Minwoo is so sweet, right Syungie?”

 

Hyesung stood in front of Minwoo, drank his water and glaring at him. “What’re you doing?”

 

“What?”

 

“You ignored him, but then still act so care and protective.” Hyesung put his mug then fold his hand on his chest, serious expression on his face. “Don’t play with Dongwan’s heart, fool.”

 

“We’re already talking, tho?” Minwoo answered sheepishly. 

 

“If you still love him, just back together again, quit lying with you heart, Min.” 

 

“Uh huh, I do agree with Syungie,” Eric chimed in, “go back together again, you and Wannie.”

 

Minwoo cursing Eric with his eyes—but of course his best friend didn’t care, he opened one of the bun package, ready to eat and watching Minwoo being lectured by Hyesung.

 

“I keep stopping myself to meddle, but your action confuse me a lot, Min.” Hyesung staring again at Minwoo—also Eric. “Did something happen? Did both of you hide something from us?”

 

“No.”

 

“No?”

 

“We don’t hide anything, right Ric?”

 

. Eric muttered under his breath. But he still nodded his head, tried so hard to look convincing. 

 

“What’s your next plan?”

 

“What?”

 

The sudden topic-changing confused Minwoo. What’s with Hyesung and his interogation at 7 freakin AM.

 

“Your plan, with Dongwan—with your life,” explained Hyesung calmly, “is it just me or I don’t recall what’ll you do next?”

 

“Uhm, well—“

 

“I’m homee!!” 

 

The cherry voice that shouted loud from the front door saved Minwoo. He let out a big sighed and grined, while Hyesung turned around his body, at the same time Dongwan walked into the kitchen.

 

“Uh, why all of you already up?” Stopped at his track, Dongwan eyeing them—only Hyesung and Eric of course. Still a bit wary of Minwoo.

 

“I bought some breakfast,” Minwoo pointed a bunch of buns at the table, “the milk one is your, Wan.” 

 

He said it as casual as ever, then smiled a bit, and passing Dongwan—gave him a friendly pat on his right shoulder, then went away to his room.

 

Dongwan stood still, looking at his own colorful socks below—trying hard to calm himself a bit.

 

“Don’t mind him,” suddenly Hyesung grab him, and pull him to the chair, “sit, I’ll reheat the buns.”

 

“I can—“

 

“Hush, it’s your last day to delivered the milk, right? So, it’s my reward for you.” Hyesung swayed his hand, and smiled at him cheekily.

 

“Yak! I deserved more, no?” Dongwan pouted his lips, then turned his head to Eric, “why’re you looking me like that, where’s my reward from you?”

 

Eric, whose eyes looking at Dongwan with regret and sorry—just laughed to cover up his feeling. “You’re doing a good job, Wannie..” he rubbed Dongwan’s head, then tickled his chin, playfully. “Aigoo, our puppy Dongwannie did a very good job, right Syungie?”

 

While Dongwan trying to beat Eric—and Hyesung just laughing at their antic. Minwoo, from a far looking at them, lovingly.

 

That Dongwan, a cheerful with a big laugh and his loud voice—the version that he want to keep inside his mind, for a long time, to forever.

 

.

.

 

“Ah hyung, you’re really so bad at this!” 

 

“You’re the one who forced me to play!” Dongwan showed his accusing look, “fine! I won’t play again!” then throwing out the stick-game on the sofa, and puffed out his cheeks, pouting.

 

Andy glanced at Dongwan, and smiled. “Cute.” 

 

He paused their game, and hit his hyung leg playfully. Tickling his body, till Dongwan laughing with an airy sound—then snuggled his body, let Dongwan hug him. Forgeting the game, enjoying the time he can spend with Dongwan, just the two of them.

 

“Nah, you’re the cutest one, our baby.”

 

“I’m turning twenty next year hyung.”

 

“Even you’re fifty, you’re still our baby.”

 

“Not fair.”

 

“Why you’re born late, then?”

 

“Hyung!”

 

“Aigo, our baby is mad,” Dongwan rubbed Andy’s soft hair, chuckling. “ahh, I’ll miss cuddling you like this.”

 

“Don’t move to the dorm then.” Andy intertwined their fingers, “just stay here hyung, the office is not so far, right? I already checked the route, you just need change one subway line.”

 

“You and Jinnie are same, huh. Both of you planning something or what?”

 

“Nu uh,” Andy shakes his head, but then start giggling because Dongwan tickled him, “well, not planning anything. We just wanted you to stay here.”

 

Dongwan didn’t reply, he just hugged Andy again, and let Andy playing with his finger. For a while, they just being quiet.

 

Untill Andy let go off Dongwan’s body, and sat upright, facing Dongwan thoughtfully. “Was it because Minwoo hyung?” 

 

Thinking a bit, Dongwan nodded his head. “Honestly, yes.”

 

“I don’t really know what really happened with both of you,” Andy grabbing his hyung hand again, “but I like it nowadays, hyung look happier, not so gloomy, so did with Minwoo hyung. So you know, I thought both of you already talked?”

 

“We’re talking, yes. About the weather or just simple thing,” Dongwan rubbed his nape, “but well, you know—“

 

A buzz sound from his phone stopped Dongwan, he glanced at it and his eyes got bigger, grab it fast and walked away to the balcony, accepting the call, with Andy looking at his back curiously. After five minutes or so, the called was done—and Dongwan back to standing in front of Andy.

 

“Who?”

 

“Minwoo’s mom. His parents are here, and they want to meet me at their hotel,” Dongwan smiled a bit, but Andy could saw the wariness on his eyes, “is it okay if I leave you alone here?”

 

“Yak! I’m not a kid hyung!” Andy sulked, but then also standing up, and turn around Dongwan’s body, “don’t worry much, I’m sure they just miss you, hyung. Just go, don’t let them wait you.”

 

Dongwan smiled and facing Andy again, hug him fast— his hair, then went to his room, styled himself a bit. 

 

Minwoo’s mom sounds happy and cheerful on the phone, still called him with a pet name—so maybe Andy was right, they called because they just missed him, not trying to scolded him or something for breaking their son’s heart.

 

.

.

 

MInwoo was too tired, he spent his days all over the places—picked up his parents from train station and dropped them at the hotel after had lunch together, then went to immigration office to got his visa and everything he needs—and it was damn stressful, he just have weeks but it felt like the preparation was not done yet, and he also still need to finalizing one performance with his dance-team, his last project before he left Seoul.

 

And of course, he couln’t find a good time to explain everything to Dongwan yet. But maybe—he could use tonight, that’s why he parked his car in front of the minimarket, the closest one from their flat, wanted to buy a couple cans of beer.

 

He needs boost, and beer will do.

 

And maybe, it was destiny—because on the park beside the minimarket, he found Dongwan. Sitting alone, wrapped himself with his hand and staring into nothing. Concerned, Minwoo walked fast to his direction, and crouched down in front of his ex uninvinted.

 

“Wannie, what happened? Did you hurt? Sick?”

 

Startled, Dongwan blinked his eyes—letting down tears to streamed on his face.

 

“Why’re you crying? Wan—“

 

“To New York, huh?”

 

Dongwan chuckled bitterly. Silenced Minwoo—and it was an answer. An enough respons for Dongwan, that yes—the news was true. This man in front of him will leave to New York weeks later—and he was left in the dark.

 

“Was it the reason? You ignored me, mad at me, put a distanced between us. Because of this, right? Am I not that important to you? What me in your life? Why—why you hide it? I don’t,” Dongwan can felt a massive lump growing in his throat, and swallowed it hard, “I don’t even know you were applying scholarship in the first place, I know nothing. Nothing, Min. Do—I really just nothing in your life after all this time?”

 

The tears was flowing uncontrollably but quietly. Dongwan just whispered his sentence, but it sounds so hurt, in pain, and sharply—like a knife, slicing Minwoo’s heart, wounding him as well.

 

“You’re important, Wan.” Minwoo found his voice back. Without him realised, he too was crying. “Because you’re my most important person in this world—I can’t, Wan. I don’t want to choose you or my dream, I don’t want to put you on that decision either. I just—“

 

“Oh, you just played a hero, huh?” Dongwan mocked him. “Am I that fragile? Did you think I’ll beg you to choose me? Did you think I’ll leave my dreams to follow you?”

 

No shouting. No loud voices. But for Minwoo, saw Dongwan with a dejected and sad eyes, full of tears—was horrible.

 

“Junjin knew, right? Eric too. That’s why they always pitying me. All of you put a show for me, huh?”

 

Minwoo shaking his head, he really wanted to hold Dongwan—but he knew better to resist himself, “Yes, they knew, but they’re the ones who beg me to explain everything to you Wan, and I’ll do that, I’ll call you, I’ll tell you tonight. Please, give me chance.”

 

“Your mom was so happy, so so proud of you, so did your Dad, and I just sat there, being dumb—not really knew anything. They thanked me, they said I was the one who encouraged you to chase the better life, the bigger dream—when in fact, I knew nothing. I did nothing. I’m just a stupid boyfriend who didn’t know what your dream was, I’m just a stup—“

 

“No! No, you’re not!”

 

Minwoo put both his hands on Dongwan’s shoulder—wanted to pull him closer, to hug him.

 

“Don’t.”

 

But Dongwan pushed him—hard. Minwoo fell back, on his bottom to the cold ground.

 

“The day you decided to hide it from me, then you already decided not to trust me anymore. I wish you well, thank you for everything.”

 

Dongwan sounds so cold and distance—so strange, so not Dongwan that he used to know, and he was the caused of it. His Dongwan was gone, walked away without turning back, leaving Minwoo alone, sobbing his heart out—regretting every chance he missed and ignored before.

 

.

.

 

 

Dongwan fumbling with the password—he was breathless, running away from the park, running like a mad on the street, running on the stairs. And when the door in front of him opened, all the eyes were looking at his direction.

 

Surprised, then curious, then worried.

 

With a frown, Hyesung walked towards him fastly. “What happened?” and in an instant everyone was around him.

 

“You know right,” with a mournful eyes, Dongwan looking at Eric then Junjin fixedly, “New York, yeah?”

 

“What?” Hyesung voiced his mind again. But no one answered him, cause the second after that—Dongwan just push them all strongly, make his way out. Entering him room, and locked the door.

 

Leaving the heavy atmosphere outside, with hundreds questions inside Hyesung and Andy minds—with a regrets feeling inside Eric and Junjin hearts.

 

.

.

TBC

Nah, the bomb had been dropped, and Minwoo just has weeks before he need to go. I was planning this story to only had five or six chapters, but well it takes longer because the idea just popped up here and there, hehe, so I hope no one bored yet with this story!

See you on next updateeee, wish you all wellll! Stay safe!