Five

Trace of Emotion

Dongwan let out a big sighed, lifted his head to looking at the dark sky above with the rain that pouring out—didn’t stop from this morning and just getting heavier. Kinda regret his action to refused Hyesung or Andy offer, so here he was, standing under the bus shelter, waiting in coldness.

 

Just his luck—the bus he needed just off the minutes he got here, and now he needs another 10 minutes to wait for it.

 

The shelter was small and it’s already packed with people, so as a young guy and newcomer, he just standing on the edge—not really protected from the rain. With the strong winds that not helped at all, making his left shoulder wet—and he can’t do nothing about it.

 

Strangely, the longer he looking at the rain and endured the cold, the sound of it kinda calmed him. Part of his mind, wanted to just walk under the rain, drenched his body—and maybe finally he could cry, without no one noticed. Maybe he could learned to take the cold as his comfort. But his sane part also know, he couldn’t make himself sick and more pitiable than this.

 

“Why didn’t you bring the umbrella?!”

 

In the midst of rain sound, Dongwan heard the familiar voice—and not really trust his hearing at first, until he turned his direction to his side and found Minwoo beside him, holding the umbrella, glaring at him and—

 

“I’ll drive you to the campus.”

 

—grab his hand strongly till their shoulder crashed, and drag him towards his car. Protectively.

 

For the first time ever—Dongwan feels as if he was the main cast of romantic drama that Junjin like to watched.

 

.

.

 

Minwoo step out from his room and found Andy also Hyesung glancing woriedly at the window—while the rain outside just pouring out like cats and dogs.

 

“What’re you doing?”

 

Andy turned his eyes from the window to him, “Dongwan hyung need to go to the campus, so Hyesung hyung offered to drive him there, but he refused. And now the rain become heavier suddenly.”

 

“I think he still not so far—maybe I can find him on the halte,” Hyesung voiced his mind, “Let me just take my coat, I’ll pick—“

 

“I’ll do it.” 

 

Without hearing much, or saw the others reaction—Minwoo just run back to his room, grab the key car and his jacket, then run again to the door.

 

Leaving the slam door—and Hyesung also Andy who looking at each other, dumbfounded but amused.

 

.

.

 

It was awkward. Dongwan was fidgeting on his seat, trying to wiped the wetness on his hoodie and his hair, while Minwoo tumbling his finger on his car heat-button, set it to the max volume—then rummaging his bag, take out the towel that he carrying around and without words, he dab it on Dongwan’s face, gently.

 

And of course it shocked Dongwan beyond belief. After almost one month without exchanging words—not even greeting. Suddenly, Minwoo just inches away—looking at him with a concerned eyes, and helped him like this.

 

“I—I can do this.” Dongwan’s clammy hand take over the towel, “Thank you.” then he added quietly.

 

The coldness from Dongwan touched, snapped Minwoo out from his unconcious action. His hand hanging on the air—just realized what the hell he did before. But he couldn’t help it, because looking Dongwan with a tremble lips that almost turned blue, his damp hair and soggy clothes—wake his protective side completely.

 

He really wanted to hug and embrace Dongwan, warmth him with his body’s heat. Something that he did regularly just a month ago.

 

Minwoo coughed, breaking the quietness that filled his car suddenly. “Is it still cold?”

 

“No, it’s already warm.” Dongwan shaking his head, and smiled a bit, even Minwoo already facing the front and starting his car. “You can drop me to the nearest Subway, I’ll—“

 

“To the campus right? I’ll drive you there.”

 

Minwoo didn’t glance to Dongwan at all, but Dongwan knew Minwoo enough. The finality that transparant on his replied—Dongwan knew better to just shut himself up.

 

If this happened month ago, Dongwan could answered it stubbornly and played his childishness, because then Minwoo would also being stubborn and childlike. They’d argue playfully, and ended their banter with cuddling each other, like nothing happened.

 

Hyesung used to say they look like kindergarten kids rather than two young adults in love, and Minwoo would laughed then agree with it, “that’s why we’re each other comfort zone, Syungie. Wannie completes me.”  and replied cheekily.

 

The surge of emotion that filled Dongwan’s mind suddenly—drained him out, exhausting him. He can feel the upcoming throbbing on the corner of his skull. So he leaned his head to the back seat, and closed his eyes.

 

Rain sounds from the outside, and the cold that seeped out from the window calmed him. Or maybe—it was Minwoo existence beside him. Because even Minwoo just being quiet, and confused Dongwan a lot right now, but it still give him the feel of safeness. 

 

It just two blocks away from Dongwan’s campus building, and Minwoo couldn’t stop himself to glancing at Dongwan with the corner of his eyes, getting worry of his condition. He still looks cold—must be the damned wet hoodie faults, he should’ve offer Dongwan to wear his, but wait—

 

“You wear my hoodie.” Minwoo blurted his mind, after realising what Dongwan wear right now. 

 

Dongwan opening his eyes fast—just another shocking moment for him on this span 30 minutes, looking as his own body, then turn his head to Minwoo sheepishly.

 

“Sorry?” He replied. Unsure with himself, and the respons that Minwoo wanted to hear from him. “I—don’t. Umm, do you want this back?”

 

Minwoo said nothing, just focusing on his drive—and Dongwan only realized it now, they already inside his campus area. So, he took his backpack that also damp from under the dashboard beside his feet, getting ready to out himself.

 

The car stop at the lobby, and Minwoo pulled out the hand-brake. “Take off your hoodie.”

 

“What?” Dongwan who already grab the door handle—turned around. And saw Minwoo already taking off his own jacket.

 

“Wear this.” 

 

“What?” 

 

Like a dumb, Dongwan just repeating his own question, made Minwoo tsk his tongue, but laughed a bit after looking at Dongwan expressions.

 

“You’ll get sick if you still wear that, Wan. Here, take mine. I’ll take your hoodie back, well it’s mine on the first place, so yeah.”

 

Dongwan still do nothing—so Minwoo tilted his body, “Do you need my help?”

 

Shaking his head, Dongwan hands stumbling around—trying to take his hoodie off. He can feel his face getting flushed and Minwoo just smiled at him.

 

“Here, take this.” Minwoo dropped his jacket on Dongwan’s lap. “And, if still rain later, please do call one of us, or me. We will pick you up.”

 

.

.

 

Dongwan bowing his head to his campus administrator, taking all the documents that he need for his internship and walked himself out—the rains already stopped, and all the lamps on the corridors already switched on, illuminating the greyish afternoon sky outside.

 

“Dongwan-ah!”

 

Halted his step, Dongwan turned his body—and lifted his right eyebrow. Waiting Sikyung—the one who called, to reached him.

 

“What’re you doing here?”

 

“Nah, you’re not the only one who graduates, fool.” Sikyung said the matter of factly. “Let’s eat, I bought this for us.”

 

A plastic bag being shoved to his chest, so Dongwan held it instinctively. 

 

“Something happened with your head or what?”

 

Sikyung just rolled his eyes, he put his free hand on Dongwan neck, and pulled him to walked with him. He teased Dongwan—he knew it well, with their height difference, Dongwan really hate to be on this position.

 

“Yak!”

 

“Hush!”

 

Dongwan struggled his body out, but Sikyung tighten his hold. Knowing he lost, Dongwan finally follow Sikyung dejectedly. They walked to the garden, ignoring some people that stares at them strangely.

 

Sikyung picked an empty bench for them to sit, and take his hand off from Dongwan body, he snatched back the plastic bag that Dongwan held, then taking the contents out.

 

“Here. It’s still warm.”

 

A warm bottle of citrus-honey tea being handed to him. Dongwan accepted it, but his eyes staring at Sikyung confused. “Something hit your head, right?”

 

“Your boyfriend called me.”

 

Dongwan looks flabbergasted, and Sikyung smirked.

 

“I don’t have boyfriend.”

 

“Your ex then.”

 

“Sikyung!”

 

“I’m serious,” Sikyung opened the lid from the bento that he also bought. “Asking me my whereabouts, and when I told him I’m in campus, he requested me to bought all of this.”

 

“What?”

 

“He said you just being stupid, and need a warm drink, a meal—and he even asked me to bought aspirin, cause he think you’ll catch cold soon.”

 

Dongwan looking at the items that spread between him and Sikyung. A beef packaged of bento that he like, with an extra kimchi, another bottle of citrus-honey tea, and an aspirin. 

 

“He dropped me here,” Dongwan drink his tea, savouring the warm and sweet taste, “and he confused me a lot, Kyung.”

 

“I asked what his intention, and he said he just worried over you.” Sikyung shakes his head amused. “He was lying, tho. He still love you, he miss you. I’m sure.”

 

Ignoring what Sikyung’s said, Dongwan just nibbled his food, “He had verbal fight with Junjin last thursday, and they’re just being civil with each other nowadays. But I think, he changed after that?”

 

“How?”

 

“He used to ignore my existence after our fight, I felt it, that’s why I tried not to cross my path with him, caused it hurts. But lately, it’s him that give me space—so I can roam around without making myself worry that I disturb him.”

 

“Why’re you being so considerate towards him tho?” 

 

“Because I’m feeling guilty, Kyung. I wanted to apologized, but—I think, to stay being friend with him will also hurt me, and maybe him. I spend my teenager years with him beside me, to have him back but only as a friend—I think, I can’t do that. Not yet.”

 

“Don’t force yourself then, remember what I said before, you deserved to heal your wound too.”

 

Dongwan just nodded his head, not because he was agree with Sikyung—he just knew, his friend care about him, and it was enough.

.

.

 

After bribed Andy with a promised he’d help to do the laundry for two weeks—Dongwan finally got Eric and Andy room key, and after making sure his target already inside, he do his plan, cornering Eric on his own bedroom.

 

“Yak! What’re you doing here?!” Eric jumped on his bed, throwing his headset with no care, “And how the hell you can enter here!? I already locked the door tho..”

 

Smile cheekily, Dongwan show off Andy’s set of keys that dangling between his fingers. Then Dongwan invite himself to sit on Eric’s bed. 

 

“Stop avoiding me, Ric.” With his experience on theater stage, he used his acting method, facing Eric sadly. “I know you’re Minwoo best friend, and I hurt your best friend, I know you dislike me righ—“

 

“I don’t dislike or hate you, Wan.” Eric cut him. “Knock it off from your mind.”

 

“But—“

 

“Hyesung told me already,” Eric cut him again, “you wanna move to your aunt house, right? And no, I won’t let you. I don’t want to hear you talk about it, that’s why I avoid you lately.”

 

“Traitor.” Muttered Dongwan sofly. And Eric chuckled.

 

“Stay here, Wan.”

 

Dongwan let out a big sighed, grabing Eric’s pillow and hugged it. “I just think it’s unfair for the other, Ric. We make all of you uncomfort with my situation and Minwoo.”

 

“Don’t you think Junjin will also move out if you leave? The first reason he want to live with us was you, Wan.” Eric fold his hands on his chest. “And your aunt home was on the other side of your campus, it’d take your time. Just stay here till your internship start, if you want to move to their dorm, I’ll let you.”

 

“Why you act like my guardian or something?” 

 

Eric smirked, “I am, tho. I’m the oldest here.”

 

“And now you pull the age card, you arse.” 

 

Dongwan grumbled the curse word, but soon Eric locked his head under his armpit, tackled him fast. Both of them landed on Eric’s bed with a weird position.

 

“Hei, I’m your hyung, Dongwannie.”

 

The teasing tone that Eric use brought a wave of nostalgia inside Dongwan, they used to wrestling each other like this—but after a whole break-up drama, Dongwan knew—he too avoided Eric at first, afraid Eric wouldn’t want to be his friend again.

 

“Argh! Yak! Why you bite me!?”

 

Eric laughed, he still trapped Dongwan’s legs with his legs.

 

“You’re daydreaming.” Eric answered casually, “Don’t think too much, Wan. Your wrinkles getting deep each days.”

 

Dongwan rolled his eyes—already used with Eric weirdness. 

 

“Dydy and Jinnie won’t forgive me, if I let you move. Hyesungie also will start his internship on his Dad’s office this summer, and I also will be busier with my works, let just stay here together for a while, Wan.”

 

“You can mention Minwoo too, Ric. I’m okay.”

 

Eric glancing his eyes to Dongwan—and smiled bitterly, without the other notice it. Minwoo’s plan and his whole secret—it’s already on the tip of his tongue. But he can’t betraying his best friend, eventhough he knew—he already betraying Dongwan, picked a side, and hide the truth.

 

.

.

TBC

Phew, finally Dongwan and Minwoo had interaction with each other on this story hehe, and hopefully I could deliver the feeling between them xx

Thank you for the comment on the prev chaps, and whoever who take the time to read this , see you on next updateee