The ideal daytime date

La dolce vita

The golden rays of the sun shone brightly through the big glass windows of the café. There were plants everywhere; the place was furnished in a rustic style, and we sat on brown farmhouse barrels. I love the combination: warm wood, metal and lots of green. The clink of the coffee cup on its saucer brought me out of my reverie, and I looked towards the gorgeous man sitting opposite me.

"You know, sometimes I don't remember the person I used to be. I was just relaxing on my couch, and something I liked five years ago popped up in my mind. And I just went down memory lane, thinking of the things I did, the stuff I liked and the person I was at that time.”

“Granted, I’m quite old now. So I guess it’s normal to have these feelings from time to time.” Joong Ki sighed and continued. “Wow, you know you’re old when you start reminiscing about when you were young. I just wish there was a way to know that you were already in the good old times when you were actually there.”

He took sip from his flat white and looked at me. “Sorry, I’ve been talking too much. What about you, what have you been up to lately?”

“Actually I’ve had the same feelings you just described. It’s funny, when you see someone regularly, you even act and think the same way. Honestly, I never expected to be back in Seoul. After all, we met by chance when I came back for Mr. Yang’s funeral.”

“And I’m so happy we did. I’ve not felt this content in a while.” He put his hand over mine. “This got a little heavy, I know what we should do next.” With a sly wink, Joong Ki motioned for us to leave. I picked up my purse and he took my hand and led us out into the busy street. We were in Yeonnam-dong, home to countless cute cafes and vintage shops. “Okay, now it’s time to level up,” he said as we walk towards his car. I was still getting used to riding around in a convertible, not many people I know owned a car like that. Joong Ki’s car was not too flashy – it was a steel grey Audi TT convertible, just the right size for one to two people. However where I grew up, a convertible was seen as a luxury car, owned only by expats and rich people. But of course, Joong Ki is rich. Lost in my thoughts again, I hardly noticed where he was bringing me.

“Wait why are we in Gangnam? Didn’t we just come here last week?” I blurted out when I saw the unmistakable tall glass buildings. “Yes, but there isn’t a limit on buying things.” He replied with another of his trademark winks. That was something to get used to, the shopping, and of course, the winking. Is it normal for people to wink that much? I myself didn’t wink much at all, maybe once a year when playing the Mafia game with friends. And Joong Ki really like expensive things. Lost in my head again, I felt myself being dragged around by Joong Ki. “Of course, Gucci is the most trendy brand now.” We were barely five seconds into the boutique when he waved a beautiful silk scarf at me and proceed to wrap it around my neck. “It looks good on you! I should really buy you more stuff, expensive things suit you so well.” He looked at me adoringly, and I couldn’t refuse him when it made him this happy. I didn’t really need anything, but Joong Ki loved showering me with gifts.

“Hey so I have to fly to Colombia in two weeks to continue filming for the movie. Pack your bags, I’m taking you somewhere this weekend.” Looking very proud of himself, Joong Ki put his hands on my shoulders and pulled me close. “Don’t you think I deserve a thank you for planning everything so well?” I put my arms around him and hugged him tightly. “Of course, oppa, thanks for everything. And you really didn’t have to get me anything.” The cashier handed the shopping bag with the scarf beautifully packaged inside to Joong Ki, who handed it to me before giving the cashier his black card.

After we left the store, Joong Ki whirled me to a few more boutiques and bought me a slinky evening dress from Givenchy, a beautiful necklace and earrings set from Van Cleef & Arpels, and a pair of black Louboutin sandals. I was still getting used to being given expensive presents, but today was extraordinary – I never bought so many luxury items in one day. “Oh, this is all a little too much, I really can’t continue to accept all these things.” I told Joong Ki in the car after our last purchase. “Sweetie, it’s not without reason, I have something up my sleeve.” He grinned mischievously.

He stopped the car in front of the entrance of my apartment building, undid his seatbelt and got out of the car, walking over to my side to open the door for me. I really liked that about him, the chivalry and care for others. Helping me with the shopping bags, he opened the apartment door and gave me my gifts. “It’s 5pm now, I will be back at 7.30pm. Be ready, and I want to see you wearing everything I got you today. Ciao!” With that, he gave me a quick kiss and left, whistling on his way back to the car. What…? Seems like this is related to that something up his sleeve he mentioned earlier. Well, I have less than three hours to get ready, so I better start now.