The man in the suit

La dolce vita

I first talked to him at the funeral of my high school teacher. I've always seen him at funerals; first it was the neighbor, then the colleague and now my teacher. He was always dressed impeccably in a fine suit, with his hair neatly styled up, and an alluring air of cologne around him. 

I was waiting in line to offer my condolences when someone tapped me on the shoulder. I turned around and was surprised to see who it was. "Yes, is there something I can help you with?" I asked, curious to find out what he wanted from me. "I'm sorry, do you know where I can smoke?" He whispered and bent slightly so he could speak closer to me.

I was so surprised that he smoked, given how young he looks, that I stood there staring at him with my mouth open, and he tapped me on my shoulder again to get my attention. "Ah yeah, I think the garden is straight down the hallway. Let me take you there." Breaking away from the line, I motioned for him to follow and he obliged. We weaved through the crowded house and emerged into the fresh air and sunlight outside. It was a little windy, but still warm on a fair day in May.

"Wow, Mr Yang sure is popular, isn't he?" He remarked, pulling a box of cigarettes and an unmistakable golden lighter out of his jacket pocket. "Uh yes he sure is," I said and gestured at the lighter,  "but more importantly, is that the lighter from Vincenzo?" His eyes lit up and he pulled his lips into a mischievous smirk. "Ahhh, you're a sharp one aren't you?" He took a cigarette from the box and held it between his lips, then offered me one. I hesitated slightly but took it and held it between my lips as well. 

He stepped closer to me and flipped the lighter open with dexterity, and struck up a flame. The wind picked up at that moment and the flame went out. He tried a couple more times, with me cupping my hands to protect the flame. Finally, we managed to light the cigarette, with his other hand cupped around my hands to help keep the flame from going out. I took a drag while he lit his own cigarette and savored the feeling. It had been a while since I smoked, and it was a nice release from the events of the day. I exhaled, breathing a cloud of smoke out. "I've just finished the drama and it's a really good one, you really portrayed the character well." We chatted about the drama for a while, each taking drags from our cigarettes. When they reached their end, we disposed of them in the trashcan nearby.

 

"So what's your name?" He asked, smiling warmly at me. "I'm Mina, it's been a pleasure spending this short break with you." I smiled back at him. "The pleasure's all mine, but would you like to extend the pleasure by having a coffee with me? My car's parked right there." He held his arm out invitingly. I agreed shyly, happy that he wanted to spend more time with me. I put my arm around his, and we walked towards his car.