I Feel It In My Fingers, I Feel It In My Toes

The World Through Your Eyes

December 1st, 2018 - 8:30 AM [Saturday, Somewhere inside Seoul National University Hospital]

"...And so it is a tremendous pleasure that Caelum Pharmaceuticals Inc. can now establish this wonderful relationship with one of the most revered, and one of the pioneers of the field of medicine in Korea long before - Seoul National University Hospital! I, as the CEO of Caelum Pharmaceuticals, is thrilled to commence in this new journey with SNUH for the betterment, and to strive for perfection in our world!-" 

The speech of the Australian man on the podium bored you more than you thought it would. It was like any other Saturday spent at the hospital, but for this momentous occasion, the classes you would usually be in are deferred. Around this particular hour, you and your close peer were invited to attend this officially ceremony. Your professor, Dr. Cho Eunhye | M.D. , is one of the doctors in SNUH that are part of this new found tie and committee that will fathom the responsibility of the clinical treatments, using the new drug product from a new partnered company. Your close peer eversince first year of med school, Madeleine Kim, taps you on the shoulder to whisper something. 

Madeleine Kim is much as a foreigner that you are, thus why you two bonded right away. Though her ethnicity is Korean, she grew up all her life in USA - so she carries that US citizenship. The clock drains with you two exchanging comedic relief with each other until such time the ceremony is over. At times, you two would stop to clap your hands when the event progresses forward, and at times you both had to stop talking because the jokes were so funny that your chortles could disrupt the speakers. 

Twenty minutes of just intermittent chatting comes to a screeching halt when the ceremony calls for the near end, where the photography will take place now. You and Madeleine stood up from your seats when you both saw Doctor Eunhye signal you two to come down from the assemlby to join the committee onstage for the picture. You and Madeleine speedily walked down the aisle, and went up the stage with Doctor Eunhye. Now in position, the committee takes a photo - mostly comprised of Doctors and their students of choice. And at the middle of the photo is the CEO of the pharmaceutical company with the 'Dean of Medicine' of SNUH.  

After the official photographs, the 'Dean of Medicine' claimed one of the microphones onstage and introduced the committee officially and formally to the media and attending assembly. 

"May I present to you all, the 'CV Committee' of Seoul National University Hospital." 

Everyone applauded, and whilst applauding, Madeleine tapped your shoulder again and whispered the last jest of the morning. 

"CV as an acronym for 'Clear Vision', but half of these morons are already wearing glasses." 

This remark got you and Madeleine laughing on stage whilst clapping hands, and Doctor Eunhye had to lightly smack your back and Madeleine's to stop the chuckling. 

Now the time is 9:00 AM, and the ceremony has ended. People are clearing out from the assembly hall, and Doctor Eunhye is leading you and Madeleine back to her office. Unlike the other doctors with their protégés, where they would walk forward with a few feet of distance between them and their students, Doctor Eunhye walks at the same pace and level with you and Madeleine. Sometimes, she even puts her arms around your shoulder and Madeleine's. Doctor Eunhye spent most of her Ophthalmology medicine in other countries, where the culture is wrapped around visible camaraderie, and the seniority line is only honoured through papers. You three make a great team, sharing the same kinds of thought processes, outlook and perspective, and cultural understandings. 

Enter the lift and up a few floors, exit the lift and turn right to the office hallway, and Doctor Eunhye's is the first door on the left. 
The three of you entered, Doctor Eunhye proceeded to her office chair, and you two students sat in front of the desk. 

"All right, now that is over, it's time to head to work. First, I want to thank you two for stepping up and giving yourself to the cause of this hospital, and the committee. By tonight, our faces would be all over the news, online articles, and tabloid papers - we are creating history as we speak. Little does the outside world realise that the process of this committee to even exist is a long, agonising, sacrificial, and expert work. We all want to make this world a better place, so we will help these people see-" Doctor Eunhye monologues over before you cut her off. 

"You memorised that the night before or are you just coming up with this from the top of your noggin?" You interrupted. 

"Committee decided upon an opening remark to tell the students. Look, what you two have to know is that in behalf of SNUH, we extend our thanks to you two, and that the treatment program starts now. You two will meet your new patients today, and I want you two to get comfortable - because you will be spending the next six months with them." Doctor Eunhye spearheads the introduction. 

"Tell us something the email didn't, Doctor Eunhye. I haven't had breakfast yet." Madeleine quips. 

"I haven't had breakfast yet as well. Though I do ask the two of you to not act like this when we are in front of the patients of this hospital - this includes your patients, understood? You're third year med students who have a long way to go in our field. I don't want them to think that I allow you to disrespect me all the time." Doctor Eunhye gently reminds. 

You and Madeleine nodded your heads, and with that, the day has officially started. Doctor Eunhye unlocks her desk drawer and brings out two clear folders with the shade of blue - paying hommage to the university colours. She separates the two folders to both hands, and she hands them over to you and Madeleine accordingly. You and Madeleine reached out for the folders at the same time, and then you two promptly opened it to review the patient information. That was until Doctor Eunhye ceases any further actions from the two of you to divulge additional information

"One thing though, please get the folder that Madeleine is currently holding. Because both of those files are yours." Doctor Eunhye reveals.

"What? I'm getting two patients?" You asked. 

"Not quite. The folder you are holding is your patient's medical history and profile. The one Madeleine is holding is your patient's career portfolio." Doctor Eunhye further reveals. 

"Wait, career portfolio? Is my patient like a Korean supermodel or something? Is my patient Irene Kim?" You curiously asked with fervour. 

"No, your patient is a KPOP idol." Doctor Eunhye answers. 

You grabbed the folder from Madeleine, and you settled the one you had on the desk temporarily. You opened the career profile folder, and the apparent reality slowly dawns on you.

"Jeon Heejin? I've never heard of her." You admitted. 

"She's from this girl group named 'Loona'. Otherwise known as '이달의 소녀 '. They're actually quite many in their group, around twelve girls." 

"Idarui Sonyeo huh? Still doesn't ring a bell." You and Madeleine were mutual with this feeling. 

"Doesn't matter if you know the group or not. What's important is that you must know your patient medically and have a small knowledge of their background, for you are her support entity." Doctor Eunhye sets the record straight. 

Doctor Eunhye then reopens her drawer to bring out the folder meant for Madeleine. She does so quickly, and Madeleine reviews her folder on the spot. 

"Cool, I got a six-year old girl from Busan as my patient. This could be fun, more of a babysitting gig to be honest." Madeleine shares her thoughts. 

You carried on with reading the career portfolio, and by turning to the next page, you get a glimpse of Heejin's face from a photograph. 

See the source image

Madeleine takes a peek at the current page you were in, and she comments about it. 

"She's quite pretty, isn't she?" Madeleine remarks. 

"She's all right, I guess. Not my type, definitely. Yes, she's beautiful - but it's not for me." You allocated your thoughts.

Madeleine and Doctor Eunhye exchanged smirk-filled glances. It's as if they're not buying what you're trying to sell - though you were never really selling anything in the first place. You had enough of reading through Heejin's career portfolio, and you switched it on hand for the medical profile. Right at the second page, the medical situation has been introduced to you. 

"Her left eye is the lazy one." You thought to yourself. 

Heejin.jpg


"So what can you say about your patients?" Doctor Eunhye tries to solicit a response. 

"As long as this little cutie's mommy helps me with her, I don't think I'll have a problem at all." Madeleine responds. 

"You said we're going to meet our patients today, right?" You asked to confirm. 

"Yes, Ms. Jeon Heejin has an appointment at 9:30 AM, and the little girl, Ms. Kang Soeun has an appointment at 1:00 PM - afterlunch." Doctor Eunhye informs. 

"Oh wow, it's in less than twenty minutes, dude. Can't wait to meet her? Can't wait to shake hands and hold her?" Madeleine teases. 

"Haha, very funny, Maddie. Look, I honestly can't care that much that she's an idol. For me, she's just another patient of our lovely hospital." You replied. 

"Never say never, dude. Remember that time you said we were never drinking again after a night of getting faced?" Madeleine continues to poke fun. 

"That doesn't count. You were slipping my drink with whiskey." You replied with a joking annoyance. 

You three laughed it off, and this little scene of interactions between you three showed how close you are. Especially you with Madeleine. You looked over your wristwatch on the left, and you saw it was 9:22 AM already. Heejin would be here any moment, so you want to refresh your look, at least to make yourself presentable, especially because you got up at an early hour just to attend the ceremony. You stood up from your seat and continued reading the medical profile on your way to the restroom. Out the door, and you were walking down the hallway when you paused for a bit when a section of the recent CBC test Heejin had seized your attention. You were to turn a left to the restrooms, when you bumped heads with a random woman who emerged from the corner.

Apart from the hurtful collision of foreheads, the woman accidentally spilled her cup of Iced Machiatto all over your shirt. It didn't matter that you were wearing a lab coat, because all of the spill went on the middle of your chest, nowhere near the reach of your protective garment. The woman profusely apologised, and you just replied "It's okay. I'm sorry too." and you ran off into the men's restroom. You took off your white coat, and you plucked a lot of tissue papers from the dispenser. You annoyingly scrubbed the spilled area of shirt, and it was such a shame since it was white paired with a blue tie, now it will be a difficult time in the cleaners. No matter how much you tried to wipe it away, and scrub it away, like it was almost going to create a heap of smoke from the friction, the spil will not be removed at the moment. From your distraction on your wear, you only realised now that the medical profile you were carrying also acquired a bit of the beverage - so now big areas of the papers have been damp and ruined. 

There was no other way of going about it, so it was better to just go back in Doctor Eunhye's office and ask for a new medical profile of your patient. You put back on your lab coat that you cursed for failing you. You carried back the folder to the office, and when you entered, you immediately opened a conversation with Doctor Eunhye that you didn't notice was having a conversation of her own.

9:25 AM

"Doc, can I please have a new copy of my patient's medical profile? Some hag spilled her coffee all over it when I was on the way to the comfort room." 

You walked up from the door and went in deeper to the main office area only to find Heejin was already there. And the woman you referred to as a hag? That was her manager, who happens to be present in the room as well. 

"By that, I meant I was stupid that I did not look where I was going. And my folly has lead me to my own comeuppance." You redacted. 

"Heejin, meet your support entity..." Doctor Eunhye introduces Heejin to you. 

Heejin ganders towards you with a blank face and then returns her direction to Doctor Eunhye.

Image 

"My dear protégé, meet Jeon Heejin - your new patient that you will look over for, and keep surveillance of medically. Keep track, and take note of her daily progress and condition whilst under treatment, like you've been briefed about. Also, this is Miss Park, her manager." Doctor Eunhye introduces you to both.

You bowed towards the two of them and you felt very sheepish with the explicit interpose you said. You walked on over behind the desk and Doctor Eunhye, and you stood behind her for the time being. Doctor Eunhye speedily snatches the career portfolio folder you left at the side of the manager's seat, and hands it over to you. You accepted it and instead of the medical profile to continue reading, you resorted to the folder at hand instead. A few minutes of back and forth conversation between Doctor Eunhye and the manager ensued, and at times, Heejin would drop by a few words to answer a question or to voice out her concerns. You can tell that she was quite nervous with this new journey in her life. You've been in Seoul for three years now, apart from the Korean language classes you took, Madeleine would teach you a bit of what she knew, so you did understand the on-going chatter. Because of this, you would react indifferent from the circle, and chuckled at remarks or jokes anyone would make. 

Half an hour like this went by, and when the clock hit 10 AM, the manager's phone started alarming. She brought out her phone from her bag and she stopped the ringing. She frantically stood up from her chair and bowed to Doctor Eunhye. Doctor Eunhye reciprocated, and Heejin followed through. They both waved you and Doctor Eunhye a farewell, and that was only the tip of the iceberg. 
Once the two left, Doctor Eunhye turns to you to address a few affairs to tend to. 

"So, what do you think?" Doctor Eunhye opens. 

"I have two in mind: First, I'm guessing the paper bag Heejin brought out with her was her first month's supply of 'Oculuzen'. And second, where is Maddie? I went to the restroom, and when I got back she was gone." 

"I sent her out of course! That was a discussion between the patient, the patient's custodian, and her doctor! I thought you already studied about Doctor - Patient Confidentiality?" Doctor Eunhye rhetorically asks. 

"Good point, Doc. Anyway, unto pressing matters, when do I start my monitoring?" 

"Tomorrow, after 8 am, drop by their dorm. I will text you the address, and don't go around giving it off to anyone else! This is classified information that you can get sued with if you ever share it with anyone else." Doctor Eunhye reminds. 

"Blimey, it's like having my mum around again. Don't worry, doc." You replied. 

"I'm just looking out for you and Madeleine. Knowing how dumb you two can get, I know I have to." Doctor Eunhye says with a snigger at the end. 

You just shook your head and handed over the destroyed and messed up medical profile folder to Doctor Eunhye. 

"Don't worry, I'll get you a new copy. I hope you don't run into anymore coffee-wielding hags after that." Doctor Eunhye mounts the jokes. 

"I'll try not to. Also, I have another question, since it's just you and me here I hope you'll answer me truthfully." You initiated the serious talk. 

You walked over to the chair were you sat earlier, and after sitting, you thought out loud. 

"It's not like the committee drew lots to decide which student will act as a support entity to which patient. Why did the committee give me Jeon Heejin?" You wondered. 

"You're a good student, above average grades in class. Before I answer more about your question, you tell me the answer to my curiosity. Why do you want to become a doctor?" Doctor Eunhye turns the tables. 

"My Father is a Neurologist back at the old country, whilst my mother is an Orthopedic Surgeon. It's not like I never loved medicine in the first place, I wanted to become a doctor, but not the doctor my parents want me to be. I want to be my own legacy. Father wanted me to follow in his footsteps and become a Neurologist, mother wanted me to take in her trade and become a Surgeon - I met them halfway. I want to become a good Internist." 

Doctor Eunhye slowly nodded her head and reclined back on her chair, but never breaking eye contact with you. 

"Honestly, the committee decided to give you Jeon Heejin because she is the toughest patient to monitor. She's a KPOP idol! You'll have to follow her around, and be there if she needs medical assistance - remember you are now an extension of SNUH. You are no longer just a student, you are carrying the university's banner. But the committee, mostly me, lean towards the idea that you can do it. We also looked at your class schedule, you only have four classes every week, with Neuroscience every Saturday at 1 PM for the rest of the semester. Apart from the others, you are the only student with the most flexible schedule to be Heejin's support entity." Doctor Eunhye stipulates her thoughts on you. 

Doctor Eunhye stood up from her chair and unlocks the drawer behind her desk and accumulates a few items that she wants to give to you. A minute goes by and then she turns around towards you to hand over these things. It was a Pulse Oximeter, a medical pen light, a stethoscope, and an ophthalmoscope

"For the next six months, you will use these items for your monitoring. You better not misplace any of these, these are SNUH property." Doctor Eunhye reminds once more. 

You nodded your head, and gathered all these tools and devices in the pockets of your white coat, later to be kept inside your bag once you have access to it back at your locker. Doctor Eunhye then took a glimpse at her wristwatch and she walked over to your side to fetch you. 

"Text Madeleine, tell her to meet us at the canteen. I'm starving." Doctor Eunhye commands, and so you did.

The rest of the morning consisted of you, Madeleine, and Doctor Eunhye eating brunch at the canteen, and just waiting for time to pass by. Once it was 11:00 AM, Doctor Eunhye left you and Madeleine to go back to her regular function before the next appointment with Madeleine's patient. You and Madeleine just hung out in the canteen until such time one of you left for an obligation. The day carried on with you attending your 1 PM Neuroscience class, whilst Madeleine and Doctor Eunhye met with their patient. 

-

December 2nd, 2018
  - 8:20 AM [Sunday, Somewhere in Gangnam]

You were wondering through the streets of this district looking for the flat where Heejin and the rest of Loona resides in. Having a bit of trouble, you videochatted with Madeleine to help you find the place you were looking for - it was because of this that you were four minutes late to the door. Luckily, you found the location you were searching for, and you hurriedly went up the stairs to regain the remaining punctuality you had. You fixed the collar of your plaid flannel and you knocked on the door. You waited for a few seconds before a girl opened the door for you and asked who you were. 

d26a79ce215d027d830bf566b7be3309.jpg

"Sillyehamnida, naneun huijineul wihae yeogie issseupnida." You said. 

"Ahh, I know you, you're 'support entity'!" The woman brightens up. 

"Oh great, you could speak English. That's very swell, my Korean shuts down when I get nervous." You confessed. 

"Please come in, Heejin is in her room, I'll call her out." The woman invited you in. 

You took off your shoes outside the door, and entered in the space with socks on. The woman invited you to sit down at the couch whilst waiting for Heejin to come out. 

"My name is Haseul. Cho Haseul" The woman introduced herself. 

"Oh, nice to meet you! My name is-"

You were about to introduce yourself and reach out for a handshake and bow when one of the other members shouted from the inner dorm, asking who it was. Haseul replied and she reverted her attention back to you. 

"Do you know Loona?" Haseul asked with a smile on her face. 

"Only yesterday, I don't listen to any KPOP bands at all, sorry." You professed. 

"It's okay. I'm the leader of Loona." Haseul reveals to you. 

"Oh! That's great! I'm deeply honoured to meet you, Cho Haseul." You finally got to complete that handshake with a bow. 

After the pleasantries with Haseul, another member comes out from the inner dorm to see who it was Haseul was talking to in English. 
Haseul then turned around to see which member it was, then she introduced you to her. 

"Hi, Jinsoul!" Haseul segwayed with a wave of hello. 

094573847c989f18be0b868ec0c912c0.jpg

"Hello, Jinsoul." You greeted with a bow. 

Jinsoul bowed back and looked at you in the eyes. You tried your best not to break eye contact, and maintain the smile on your face. A few silent seconds went by, and Jinsoul returned back to the inner dorm. In replacement of Jinsoul's presence was this blonde woman who was excited to meet you. 

2d1bc3ab3a2ba79d5e659f2a495a0ca4.jpg

"Hi! My name is Kimlip!" The new lady happily introduced herself. 

"Kimlip, that's a very special name. Nice to meet you." You bowed. 

"Her real name is Kim Jungeun." Haseul tells you. 

You could only react with amazement from the information she has given you. It didn't take long before the needed conversation between you and Kimlip were postponed, because the woman of the hour finally emerged from her room, and meets you at the living room. Haseul and Kimlip went back inside to give you two the privacy more or less needed, or called for. Heejin stayed silent, and you had to initiate your first interaction with her. 

"So, I never got to formally introduce myself yesterday. Bangawoyo, I'm         . I'll be the 'support entity' that will keep an eye on you during your treatment. Get it? Eye? It's a clever .... Or I think it's a clever joke. Anyway! What time did you take your first tablet of 'Oculuzen'?" You moved forward to ask. 

"8 AM sharp." Heejin answered with a bland tone. 

"Do you feel anything weird? Any numbing sensation or aching part of your body?" 

"No." Heejin reponds straightforwardly again. 

You weren't sure if Heejin's tone of voice was uninterested with what was happening, or it was just her signature low voice doing all the wrong impressions for her. 

"Just let me know if you do. Okay, I'm gonna need you to give me one of your index fingers." You said whilst opening your bag to bring out the Pulse Oximeter.

Heejin extends out her left hand's pointer finger for your disposal. You brought out the device, and you lightly grabbed Heejin's finger to rub. Heejin quickly flinched her finger away from your grip. 

"뭐야?!" Heejin accompanies with her movement. 

Haseul quickly comes out of the inner dorm to check on what was happening. 

"Oh! I'm sorry, but I need to rub your finger first before I put on this thingy. If I don't I won't get an accurate and proper reading." You explained. 

"What is this anyway?" Haseul asks as she points at the device. 

"This? This is a Pulse Oximetry device. What it does is it can tell me your Oxygen levels in the body, along with your heart rate, and BP." You answered. 

Haseul shows her enlightenment and she nods her head out of fascination. Heejin that was reluctant at first trusts what you said and extends out her finger again. You grabbed it lightly like you did and started rubbing it as gently as you can but still be able to yield the optimal setting for the reading. After a few seconds so, you attached the device on her finger, and you promptly brought out the stethoscope as well to auscultate Heejin. You the stethoscope, and before placing it you instructed Heejin not to talk until you say so. 

You started auscultating at the right side of Heejin's chest to discern Lung function, and then you went to the left to discern heart function. All was well until Heejin disobeyed your order and shouted a hello to the person who just arrived inside from the door. This made you buckle away from Heejin and you had to take a moment from the sudden attack on your eardrums. Heejin and Haseul laughed, but Heejin apologised right afterwards. You turned to see who was the person coming from the door, and it was this cute girl. 

54b9a85c1f8ffbc62222f348fd44f7db.jpg

The cute girl immediately saw your presence and she bowed to greet. 

"Hello, my name is Gowon." She introduced herself. 

"Gowon? That's a cute name for a cute girl." You remarked. 

"Her real name is Park Chaewon." Haseul reveals to you. 

You bowed in return to Gowon, and you reattached the ear muffs in your ears to continue auscultating Heejin. But before you did, you took off the device on her finger to take a good note of her readings. Lung and Heart sounded all right, and the last bit was to place it on her abdomen to check for any sort of abnormality on her GI tract. Fortunately. there were none. You took off the stethoscope and placed it back inside your bag along with the Pulse Oximetry device, and packed up. 

"All right! That was it. That's all for today, the twice a day monitoring will start tomorrow. For now, just do what you normally do on a Sunday, and if you feel anything weird or something's hurting, let me know, okay? You have my number, I'm sure Doctor Eunhye gave it to you. It was nice meeting you, Haseul-ssi, Gowon-ssi, and the rest of the ladies. Have a pleasant day." You said before you left. 

The three ladies bowed to greet farewell, and so did you in return for respect. You headed towards the door with Haseul right behind you, and before leaving you put on your shoes whilst Haseul waits for you to leave officially. She waved goodbye before closing the door on you. You went down the stairs and inhaled and exhaled heavily. Right on cue, your phone rings, and it was Madeleine calling you. 

"Hello?" 

"So, how'd it go with the KPOP idol? Did she go diva on your ?" Madeleine pokes fun. 

"Not exactly, Maddie. She was quite tense, I could tell by her heartbeat. But everything went well, I got to meet a few of Loona's members. Their leader, Cho Haseul (?) was quite friendly, I like her. I mean! I like her in a platonic manner! I swear I know you were waiting for me to slip up and you'd make a nasty tease!" 

"You're just a paranoid little boy! Anyway, I finished up with my patient visitation, and I got nothing to do. Wanna hang at the mall?" 

"Yeah, sure. Meet me at the dorm, I have to drop by my bag first, most of my stuff are in here." 


"알았어요 ~" Madeleine responds before dropping the call.

The road ahead isn't as rough as you imagined it to be, but there will always be ups and downs. It's only a matter of time until this whole things blows over, and you couldn't wait for it to be over. Still, there was something about Heejin that intrigued you. Maybe it was just the way she acted around you, or maybe it was just the way she's still 'testing the waters' when it came to you. It didn't matter, you were her 'support entity', and you've made an oath to the SNUH that you will fulfill your duties. More than an oath, you signed a contract, so you're legally bound to fulfill your duties. The trip back to the dorm from Gangnam didn't take long, even if it was a Sunday, the traffic wasn't existent at all. Usually it would be, but this Sunday befalls on your favour for some reason. You were glad it did, it brightened up the start of your day, and in a blink of an eye, the moon will come up soon.

On the way back, you reviewed the readings you had on Heejin's status.

"120/79 mm Hg |  Sp02% - 96 | Heart Rate - 85

No abnormal sounds or irregular thumpings during auscultation." 

You took the bus back to the dorm, so you rested your head on the window pane, whilst watching the opposing cars accelerate towards the opposite direction. Passing by pedestrians, and civilians minding their own business. Looking at all of them makes you wonder if all these people felt lonely like you did as a foreigner living life in a country that was just another stop in his race in life. These lonely people like you, where do they come from?



To be continued...