II. In the Fall.

Love and College.

Leaves fell from the trees surrounding the pavement. It was the first day of fall season, The best day to hang around and date people. Byul would normally put on headphones and disconnects herself from the real world at day, Mope around the bar at night on a Saturday. As kids play excitedly outside and couples take a walk, She takes out her old film camera and leaves the house for a walk alone. It’s been a year since she took out with her, She loved taking photos of the scenery or just anything beautiful she could find. Stepping on the leaves on the ground making a cracking sound somehow feels new again, The only thing she wishes right now is that someone was with her. It hasn’t been long since the walk, She sat on one of the benches. She takes out her phone from her pocket, Finger sliding on the screen as it lands on one name. As much as she didn’t want to be some kind of bother, She contemplated to whether call Wheein or just let herself be alone for awhile. The thing was, She couldn’t help it. She taps on the contact name, Calling Wheein and hoping she’d come.

“Wheein-ah…..Are you busy?”

She asked, Feet lazily swaying.

“No but I’m about to start practicing.”

Said Wheein on the other line.

“Practicing? For what?”

The latter from the other line chuckles at her question.

“A presentation. I’ll be singing.”

Her eyes slightly widen at the latter’s answer, Wondering if she ever heard that right.

“You can sing?”

Wheein laughs.

“Ofcourse, Why? Surprised?”

Indeed she was surprised, Who would have thought she’d meet someone full of unexpected charms and talents? Byul smilled to herself.

“Very. I’m…..I was taking a walk by myself, I brought my film cam and ran out of pretty stuff to take pictures of. Maybe, You can come and be my problem solver?”

A loud yet distinct laugh can be heard from the other line.

“You’re such a smooth talker.”

Her face lit up, A chuckle falling from her lips.

“C’mon…Please?”

Wheein clears and finally agrees to meet up.

“Alright, Wait there. I gotta change, I can’t be meeting up with you looking like a mad dog.”

Byul laughs.

“Okay. See you later.”

The smile on her face never goes away as she ended the call. She sat there patiently waiting. Just as she was trying to kill time, She decides to take a quick stroll around the playground. Kids were playing, She takes pictures of them having so much fun.

“Running out of ‘beautiful stuff’ huh?”

A voice chimes in.
Just the voice she was waiting on to hear. Byul approaches the latter, Shaking her head as she heaved a sigh.

“These kids aren’t beautiful enough though.”

“And I am beautiful enough? Oh no. Don’t remind me, I know that.”

“Who says I was talking about you?”

They both share laughs and giggles as they both leave. Even more leaves were falling and the natural light just keeps getting better, An idea comes up suddenly in Byul’s head which leads her to stop them both in their tracks.

“Wheein-ah, Stay steady.”

“What?”

The latter asked, Confused. When Byul positioned herself back in a slight distance, That’s where Wheein realized. Her signature distinct laugh comes out but still follows whatever Byul was asking her to do. After all, She was running out of beautiful stuff to take pictures with.

“The photos came out really pretty.” Byul complimented.

Wheein couldn’t answer with a word but only with a laugh, Byul lets her see the photos she took and it indeed came out pretty well.

“No, You’re just very good at taking photos.”

She commented.

“I never knew you liked film cameras. Photos are art too, You could’ve been great in the Multimedia department.”

She added.

Byul’s face looked very solemn as she told which made her feel a little bit worried.

“Are you okay?”

She asked.

“My Dad was a photographer. He used to take me to the photo studio he owned, I grew love for cameras and photos. When I was just attending junior high-school, My dad was wrongfully accused of illegal business just because this wealthy dude wanted to buy his photo studio and he didn’t want that you know. Until then, These people. They hired hit men, My family and I used to move from house to house. Ofcourse, My Dad got shot by one of those hit men. The hitman was sentenced to prison and so as the one who gave orders but it had to take four long years to clean my Dad’s name. When my Dad got released out of prison, He died of heart failure.”

Upon hearing the whole story, Her heart felt like it torn to a million pieces. It must have been real hard for Byul and her family to cope up.

“I’m sorry…”

She said.

“I’s okay. It’s not like I’m still crazy sad about it.”

Byul responded with a reassurance which made her feel light again.

“Why don’t we go sit here?”

Byul guides Wheein to the raised platform beside the pond. They both sit side by side, The sky turning dark. It was night already. While Wheein looks up at the sky to stare, Byul’s eyes get stuck staring at the latter instead. She once again takes her film camera in action, Stealthily taking shots of the latter.

“I can still see you in my peripheral vision.”

Wheein says accompanied with a chuckle.

“I told you, I’m running out of beautiful sceneries.”

The latter responds with a shake on her head.

“You told me you need to practice. Well, It’s just the two of us.”

“You want me to sing here? Right here and right now?”

“Why not?”

Wheein nods and takes Byul’s request as she starts to sing.

Byul listens intently to her voice. A mix of honey and an angelic tone, It was even beautiful than the sceneries around. Her eyes and the latter’s singing becoming one. She felt she could melt at any time, Every single line Wheein sang gets stuck in her mind. Not noticing, She got too immersed to forget that it was over.

Wheein snaps her fingers and she wakes up to reality.

“Wow….Just wow.”

“What do you mean?” Wheein asked.

“That was beautiful…too bad it couldn’t be heard in photos.”

It was astonishing even for her.

“Hey, You’ve been telling me that since I came here. Thank you, I don’t get that often.”

Byul chuckles.

“You will get that a lot from me.”

Wheein responds.

“Thank you for today, Really. I had fun, I will remember this day.”

The season wasn't the only one falling, Byul was too.