Şase

Passacaglia Soli

Out of everything she had ever imagined this was not one of the many scenarios she had conjured. Despite the late hour, the light was almost blinding. They stood at the edge of a compound as the vampire and dhampir marveled at the sight before them. 

Dazzling lights sparkled around as the lines of bulbs extended and wrapped themselves around poles and houses like one continuous thread of thought. Some of the houses looked like small storage containers that have been refurbished to be livable. Other houses looked like ancient cabins. From the time when humans took pride in housing that could last generations. Other houses looked like they were combined to hold multiple families. Like a modern den. Not even the architecture of the buildings were the same. It was obvious that this space held memories of many generations long past. 

"Wow, this is where you guys live?" Byul was the first to break the daze with an obvious question. 

Byul pulled her eyes away from following the lines of light and finally looked before her. People and children of various shapes and sizes still mingled about.  Their chorus of tones and laughter filled the air with a sense of warmth and another feeling she can't describe. It was as if she was returning to a space she had long forgotten. 

"It's the satellite compound," Yong answered as she waited for the duo to come out of their daze before exposing them to the brunt of their families. 

"Satellite?? There's a bigger one here??" Wheein asked as she continued to look with a curiosity she didn't know she still had. 

"Well, the only other big one is the actual capital," Hyejin said in a cool tone. The moment she stepped back onto the familiar grounds, her fears and worries vanished. 

"A capital??" Wheein's curiosity was hungry. Her eyes caught the various faces and saw what everyone was doing. The reason why so many people were still out. She also made a mental note to ask about the few humans that were mixed in as well. 

In the middle of the compound was a giant bonfire. On the edges laid tables filled with various foods and drinks. The scent of such made Wheein's stomach growl and it made Byul's eye sting. 

"Do you want us to give you two an actual lesson in our government or would you two rather have fun?" Hyejin's voice was enticing to the both of them. Alluring and subtle enough that they found themselves nodding to what the lion said without thinking. 

"Then get ready for a lot of kisses," Yong sighed as she stood next to Byul to wrap her arm around the vampire's to drag her along. 

The moment Yong's warmth made contact with her a violent shiver went down her spine. Sure, she had small touches with Yong before, but those were all initiated by her. Yong was never the one to willingly touch the vampire. So this.....This was nice.

Byul shook her head before she got lost in the touch.

"Kisses, huh? Guess I'll have to be careful," Byul teased the dragon as she followed Yong along.

She didn't even get a grunt of acknowledgement. 

"Kisses??" Wheein stood there a bit dumbfounded. She knew the Werebeast culture was different but nothing has she read or studied ever mentioned anything about kissing.

"It's just a small peck on the cheek," Hyejin said as she held an arm out for Wheein with a warm smile. Hopeful that Wheein would reciprocate.  

Hyejin stood like that for a moment and when Wheein wasn't moving, she put her arm down. Her face fell as she berated herself. Of course she shouldn't be so bold with the dhampir. These past few months she found herself falling for the aloof and, at times, cold dhampir. Admittedly, it was all curiosity at first. However, the more she spent with Wheein and seeing how she thought, observed, and interacted with the world around her, well, it was bound to happen. Hyejin's heart has always been a flame that was relentless and attracted to the stagnant souls that were ready to be released. 

But that's selfish of her. Wheein had only recently begun to venture out above, who is she to have Wheein all to herself? Besides, she would only limit Wheein. Wheein, who is so amazing, smart, cunning, and curious, deserves to be free without inhibitors. 

With a sharp turn of her heel, Hyejin took a couple of steps forward, electing to not look at Wheein lest her feelings be exposed, "Hey, we better catch up before we get left behind."

Wheein's mind was lost in the possibilities of reason. The reason as to why the compound looks as it does. The reason as to why she would have to be warned about kisses. The reason as to why being here felt like she found a part of herself she never knew. As if she unlocked a lost memory that brought the feelings of nostalgia and warmth. The feelings of true peace.

It was Hyejin's tone that brought her out of her daze again. A tone that made her heart twinge and contort. A feeling she never knew she was capable of. Let alone for someone that she barely knew. She looked at Hyejin and couldn't see the lion's face. Her heart twisted again. She wanted Hyejin to look at her. She wanted Hyejin to touch her. 

"O-oh, right," Wheein muttered as she followed Hyejin's lead into the fray that would change the trajectory of her future.