Doi

Passacaglia Soli

“Don’t you think this is a bit…...intrusive?” Wheein questioned as she eyed the still quiet Yongsun in front of them. 

The Kims and Byul’s mother have since carried on their conversation elsewhere and have allowed their children to wander wherever they please. In fact, the Kims even encouraged them to go above ground in order to get the required space in order for Yongsun to show her true form. 

“What? We got explicit permission and aren’t you curious?” Byul leaned forward towards Wheein in order for her harsh whisper to be heard, “This is the first time we get to see a Werebest transformation!”

“Of course I’m curious, but your future fake girlfriend here hasn’t said a word and isn’t that alarming?” Wheein hissed back. 

Both of their eyes looked at the still silent Yongsun. Even while sitting, her form was immaculate. No slouching and no hint of weakness. Her eyes were a brilliant blue that was cold as much as it was hard. Truly, Yongsun was beautiful, but they know better. They know what power Yongsun has hidden away. They just don’t know the extent of that power and that’s what scares them at their deepest core. The possibility of death doesn’t scare vampires, the unknown does. 

“Are you guys just going to keep staring or are we actually going above ground?” Yongsun said with a growl as she got up. She’s been sitting still too long and her blood was begging for movement.

“So you do talk!” Byul exclaimed as she shot up to meet Yongsun face to face. However, to her surprise, she underestimated her jump up and nearly collided into the stoic Yongsun. 

“Aren’t vampires supposed to be graceful?” Yongsun barely blinked before stepping around Byul and headed towards the door. Only turning around to raise a brow at them.

Wheein only shook her head with a sign before getting up and dragging a frozen Byul to follow Yong. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"When was the last time you two were out above ground?" Yongsun's question was to the point as they climbed the stairs to one of the few openings left to the world above. Even the still lit oil lamps were dull with age as if no one bothered to take care of them. 

"Oh, just a couple of years ago?" Byul mused as she racked her memory for an answer. The only thing her brain produced to jog her memory was just images of a small festival as she danced around a fire with another woman. A small twinge of regret coursed through her body before she shrugged it off. Like her mother says, human lives are short, no need to get attached to any of them. 

"You mean a hundred," Wheein clarified with a shake of her head. Like all true vampires, Byul's concept of time is forever askew. 

"Ah, then you're in luck then," Yong yanked on the pulley to bring down the old elevator, "Not much has changed besides some tech advances. Sure, there have been a couple of wars here and there, some economic rises and collapses, but all in all nothing really drastic."

"As long as my favourite places weren't affected then it might as well have been only a couple of years ago," Byul huffed.

"Well, it depends on where it was but I'll let you figure that out," Youngsun shrugged  as she stepped away and waited for the elevator to make its way down.

"Oh? We're not going to go on an over dramatic eloping stunt?" Byul suggested with a smirk as she looked at the unreactive Yongsun.

"Are you actually taking their suggestion seriously?" Yongsun raised a brow, "It's obvious they lived longer than their prime. Their creativity died long ago it seems like."

"Hey, wait, I--" Byul raised her hands in defense but before she could even explain herself and her lame attempt at cracking the ice Wheein cut her off.

"Yongsun is right, in a way," Wheein began with a finger under chin. Now that they are away from their parental figures, it meant she had plenty of room to think and reflect, "You would think they would let nature take its course in order to let our two worlds intermingle. If anything they could've just put in some new laws and regulations in order to shape society to how they see fit. Why go through an elaborate stunt like this?"

Yongsun glanced at the still thinking Wheein and gave a small chuckle and muttered a few words under her breath, "Now why couldn't I have a fake relationship with you."

Despite heightened senses, it's all null when the users are distracted. Just as how both Byul and Wheein were lost in thought. Thought in thinking about the proposed plan. 

"Guess they really wanted to rush things then, huh?" Byul suggested, "But I call bull on the whole outstanding member and oldest vampiric families!"

"Hah? You don't think I'm an outstanding member of Weresociety??" Yongsun questioned with a slight growl. 

"What, no I--" Before Byul could explain herself the loud bong of the elevator deafened them as they were surrounded by the ominous tone.

"Well, let's see if you will burn in the sun," Yongsun said as she held the elevator doors open and waited for Byul and Wheein to enter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They could only stare in awe. Everything changed so drastically that no words, in any language, popped in their head. All that they knew went out the window the moment they saw the dazzling lights and sounds of the giant city below. The last time they came above ground, the city was just a small town that barely had electricity. Amazing how much things can change in a relatively small amount of time. 

"Is this really......" Byul's question faded as she continued to stare. The lush forest she loves vanished and in its place were nothing but concrete buildings. A cruel mockery of nature. Cement trees that were an eye sore despite them providing roofs over people's heads. 

"Damn. The sun went down already," Yongsun said with a nonchalant shrug as she continued forward and out of the mouth of the cave and hopped down, "You guys going to come out or what?"

"We.....We never discussed what we were going to do up here," Wheein said as she slowly followed Yongsun. As she approached the small drop, Yongsun held out her hand for Wheein to grab. An action that Wheein did without thinking. The heat from Yongsun's hand was foreign to her touch and it exemplified how cold everything was before. It felt nice. 

"I was supposed to show you my true form but I had other plans," Yongsun admitted as she patted away loose dirt from Wheein's shoulder. Careful to startle the still processing dhampir.

"Why don't you show us your form then and we can go back to leave you to do your plans," Byul said as she waited by the edge for Yongsun's hand that never came. With a small huff, Byul finally hopped down to join the other two. 

"Actually, my plans involve you two," Yongsun said with a smile. But the smile never reached the eyes that held a fire to them. 

"Does your plan involve murdering us because everything you've done and said so far has hinted towards some nice murdering," Byul squinted at Yongsun before looking around them. The cave entrance was still surrounded by lush forest still and with the sun fading it meant it was the perfect combo for an ambush. Even though she’s a child of the night, it’s the unknown that scares her. 

"I think if she wanted to murder us then she would have backup and not murder us in front of the entrance. Especially this close to reckoning day," Wheein deadpanned. 

"Years ago I would've loved to kill your kind but---" Yongsun began before another voice cut in.

"Oi, Yong, what took you so long? I almost thought they imprisoned you to be their on tap blood bag."

Byul and Wheein whipped around towards where the voice was coming from. As alert as they were, they were still caught off guard. A first despite their many years of existence. And that scared them to their core. They relied on their innate abilities for so long that they forgot how to focus it.

There before them stood a goddess of the earth. Emerging from the nearby foliage, a young woman approached them. Her steps were confident despite walking on the uneven plane. It was almost as if every time she took a step the earth rose to meet her bare foot. She wore jeans that were baggy and still managed to have a few tears in them while being held onto her by a long bandana instead of a belt and what looked to be a black bralette. A long mane of wavy black hair cascaded over her shoulder and gently bounced as she continued to walk towards them. Despite the sun already setting in the back and the moon slowly taking her reign, the tan skin was obvious. Even under the cool light, the warmth was evident. As darkness slowly started to surround them as night began to open their domain, the woman's eyes shone a brilliant yellow.

"Hyejin-ah!" Yongsun smiled brightly for the first time and her eyes shone with glee. For once the cold exterior melted and exposed Yongsun's youth. She quickly ran towards the other woman and they quickly embraced each other. 

"I'm surprised you even stayed this long out here," Yong said as she held Hyejin out at arms length. Her smile never left her face. 

"Of course! I promised to wait for you, and for," Hyejin looked around Yong and looked at Byul and Wheein up and down. Only taking her time in examining Wheein a bit more, "For these guests."

"I guess it's time for introductions," Yong sighed as she stepped aside and gestured to Byul and Wheein with mild disdain, "This is Byul and this is Wheein. Both members of the Moon family. And this is Hyejin. I'll let her tell you guys her true form if she wants to."

"Oh? There's a Moon family? I wonder if they're distantly related to the Moon clan," Hyejin mused as she eyed the two some more. Her eyes judged Byul but for Wheein they were more curious. 

The feeling was mutual. 

Being the rare dhampir she is, Wheein was the one that actually went out to human settlements to get supplies and to scout. As such, she has met a variety of characters throughout her small trips so she's used to being ogled at. But, under Hyejin's gaze, it was different. Despite how intimidating and powerful Hyejin looks, there's something almost innocent about her. So, as Hyejin studied Wheein with curiosity, Wheein studied Hyejin with scrutiny. Afterall, this Hyejin was able to sneak up on them with ease and it didn't even look like she was trying. There was something dangerous about her. A danger that Wheein best stay away from. Or so she tells herself. There's also something alluring about Hyejin. And it's that alluring aura that Wheein finds dangerous. A dangerous curiosity.

"Eh? There's a Moon clan?" Byul questioned with a higher pitched voice. The surprise was evident. 

Yong sighed and rolled her eyes, "Of course there's a Moon clan. And before you ask, yes, they are werewolves. At least the European branch is."

"European branch??? What--" Byul's confusion rose as she digested Yong's words. The implications made her mind run rampant. 

"Oi, oi, are we actually going out on the town or what," Hyejin said with a smile. Her teeth were glistening white and her fangs flashed before their eyes. Unlike the long, thin upper canines of vampires, Werebeasts canines were larger and thicker with a more prominent curve on the upper and lower canines. 

"Out on the town?? What the does that mean??" Byul squinted at Hyejin as she finally noticed how much of an interest both Werebeasts took to Wheein. As much as she knows that Wheein can take care of herself, there is still that sense of duty to protect her younger sister. 

"It means enlightening you cave dwellers!" Hyejin beamed as she stepped closer to Wheein and extended an immaculate hand, "So, will you join us?"