002

I still care for you

 

 

When Jimin called Minjeong the moment her meeting finished, she didn't really expect Minjeong to show up at exactly 7pm, the time Jimin's done checking her files and helping Yuri close the shop. Yuri leaves with her girlfriend, Yena every night. She doesn't know what goes on in their head, but they never missed a night together. And Jimin wonders, don't they ever get tired of seeing each other? 

 

Jimin thinks it's stupid, but I guess it comes with the job of loving someone.

 

Love?

 

Stupid.

 

Jimin isn't one to fantasize about that certain word. She was never fond of it. It just makes no sense. Sure, she loves her family, but other people? Stupid. Girlfriend? Who even has time to deal with a moody person who just wants to cling like a koala every chance she gets?



Okay, Jimin didn't intend to describe her ex-girlfriend. But how could she not when she spots the familiar petite lady sitting at the chair Yuri usually sits on as she waits for Jimin to fix her things. She wore casual clothing,the same old plaid shirts and tank tops. It's definitely Minjeong, alright. 

 

She sat patiently, curious eyes studying the room and every movement from Jimin. It was distracting, yes, but Minjeong's nice company. At least she doesn't talk much. Minjeong knows how much Jimin hates loud noises especially when she's busy and focused. 

 

Jimin walks towards her car parked just across the clinic. She feels Minjeong trailing behind her, her breathing a bit ragged probably from the summer heat.

 

She unlocks the driver's side and turns to face a lost Minjeong. Typical Minjeong who likes to stare at nothing, thoughts swirling inside her head. "So, what did you want to talk about?" Jimin asks, breaking the awkward silence surrounding them.

 

Minjeong scratches her cheek, abashedly looking away from Jimin. "It's kinda weird talking about it here," She motions her hand to the dark street, only illuminated by the tall streetlamp beside Jimin's car. Jimin nods in understanding, hopping in her car after inviting Minjeong to sit on the passenger side. She hesitantly did so, sitting straight at the leathered seat. "Where are we headed?"

 

"I don't know." Jimin mumbles, "Wasn't this your plan?" 

 

The younger pursed her lips, "I know a restaurant nearby." 

 

 

 


 

 

 

Jimin watches as Minjeong fumbles and stutters all the way to the restaurant to the part where they ordered their meals. She tries to dismiss the uncomfortable feeling of actually talking to her ex after years of absolutely no communication. Even after making sure that things were fine between them and the break-up was mutual, none made any efforts of trying to communicate with the other despite the curiousity building up over the years. Like, how was Minjeong, has she been eating well? Does Jimin still go to the zoo to see the animals as her stress-reliever? 

 

It was totally strange. But Jimin's grateful to see Minjeong looking as healthy as ever.

 

"Since when did you dye your hair back to black? And your hair's short." She comments to break the ice. Jimin wonders if it was the right time to talk as Minjeong looked to be gathering herself and her words. "It's a whole new look." 

 

"The blonde dye faded eventually so I had to dye my hair black. My hair's too fried to handle another batch of bleaching." The older chuckles at this, grabbing her glass to drink a bit of water. "And I had tons of split ends. My hair's overall unhealthy."

 

"You finally took notice. I've been telling you that since highschool." The short haired snorts at Jimin's cocked eyebrow. "But hey, blonde Minjeong was fine."

 

"I know. You don't have to tell me" Jimin laughs for the second time, commending Minjeong for her consistent self-love all throughout the years. "I've rocked every hairstyle."

 

"Mhm, whatever makes you sleep at night." Minjeong scrunches her nose at this, "You look impossibly younger, cute even. How is this possible?"

 

"I am Kim Minjeong afterall." Minjeong managed to say confidently despite the growing heat on her face. 

 

Jimin smirks in reply, as if challenging her. The waiter returns with their order, placing it neatly on their table. The pair thanked him as he scurries away to take orders from other customers. Jimin digs in immediately, the fatigue from work finally washing over her. Minjeong followed suit, subtly eyeing Jimin. She notices how Jimin still orders her favorite tonkatsu and iced tea. 

 

"Now that we're in a more suitable place for whatever it is you want to talk about," She motions at the restaurant, similar to the way Minjeong did earlier, "I think it's time for you to open up about it."

 

The younger visibly tensed up, going back to scratching her fluffy cheek. Well, here goes nothing. "It's nothing important, really. I just want to catch up with you.."

 

"Catching up with your ex?" The older dramatically gasps, hand covering to add more dramatic effect. "T​​​​​​hat's a quite juicy news for the audience, ma'am!"

 

"Shut up." Jimin grins when Minjeong rolls her eyes. "Here I am being sincere and there you go, making a joke out of everything. That's so typical of you Jimin."

 

Jimin shrugs, "I just want a light mood to fit with my dinner." 

 

Minjeong doesn't say anything afterwards and Jimin frowns. "Hey, I was kidding you know. Don't be sulky."

 

"I am not?"

 

"Mhm, still the sulky puppy you are." 

 

"I was never sulky!"

 

Jimin lost count as to how many times she laughed that day. Somehow, being with Minjeong lightens up her mood. Though Minjeong might have grown taller and have changed her hairstyle, Minjeong never changed. 

 

"You know, I missed this." She comments out of the blue, catching Minjeong's attention. "This, casually talking and enjoying our meal after a tiring day at work." 

 

"It has definitely been a while since I've had proper conversation and hung out with anyone I knew back in town." Jimin smiles softly, reminiscing on the fond memories she used to have with the place. "Talking to you makes me feel relieved. It makes me calm knowing that you're doing well after all these years." The older gives her a fond look, and Minjeong curses at the butterflies in her stomach. "You look as beautiful the day I left you." 

 

What?

 

Minjeong stops from cutting the steak and gives Jimin a blank look. Jimin on the other hand, doesn't seem to notice the turmoil building up in Minjeong as she continues to happily devour her own meal. The younger scoffs in disbelief. How dare she say that? She said it as if it's the most normal thing in the world! Isn't talking about the past a taboo for ex-lovers?

 

Or was Minjeong only over reacting?

 

Was it Minjeong at the wrong here?

 

"You can't just tell me that..." She mumbles, her gaze unfaltering. This time, it catches Jimin's full attention, her brow cocking upwards once more in a questioning way. Minjeong seemed poignant. Jimin blinks dumbfoundedly. "Tell you what?"

 

"Thatㅡ whatever it was you said." Minjeong doesn't tell her much but Jimin knew. But how can you blame Jimin when she just met the most beautiful woman she used to love? 

 

"But I meant it," She pushes further, pushing Minjeong's buttons despite knowing that the other didn't like it when she does. "I've longed to talk to you. To know if you have achieved the dreams you used to tell me when we were younger. I wanted to know if you were doing better without me by your side. Have you finally grown to be more independent without me? These thoughts were haunting me Minjeong, and I refuse to continue on living without knowing anything from you."

 

"I missed you Minjeong. You don't know how much I missed talking to you." Jimin continues, eyes matching Minjeong's, trying her best to convey her feelings. Was it enough? She couldn't mask the pain and desperation in her voice, and it probably showed on her face. But it was fine, she wanted Minjeong to feel it, to feel her emotions. She wanted Minjeong to know that she indeed regrets the day she left her girlfriend, her best friend.

 

The younger, however, scoffs in disbelief and obvious unamusement. Her eyes almost rolling as she looks away, breaking their eye mini staring contest, much to Jimin's dismay. "Then why did you continue to break up with me when I was willing to do everything just to be with you?"

 

She didn't intend for her voice to break. She didn't want to be this vulnerable in public. Vulnerable in front of her ex-lover who chose to pursue her father's wish than to fight for the love of her life. 

 

Minjeong felt small, felt useless, felt unloved as poignant memories started running in her head vividly like a movie she had just watched yesterday. Scars started to bleed once more, and it pains her even just by looking at Jimin.

 

It was too much for her.

 

Jimin bows her head in shame, "I had to leave Minjeong, I didn't want you involved. And it was my family's wish." Her hand reaches out for Minjeong's hand that has a vice grip on her fork that her knuckles turned white. She visibly flinched at the contact and Jimin's frown deepened. "You know how they are. You know my situation. I thought you'd understand. But I really loved you Minjeong, you were the most important ing person to me."

 

"You say that as if I never meant anything to you." Her voice continues to crack and Minjeong's not having it. No, she's totally not going to breakdown in the middle of a 3-star restaurant with her ex seated right in front of her. She wanted to show Jimin that she's doing well and always has ever since Jimin left. But her own emotions seemed to betray her. 

 

"God, Minjeong. You meant the world to me.. You were everything to me but I had to let go." Jimin's voice is heavily laced with desperation, as if pleading and begging Minjeong to stay. 

 

"Then why did you choose them over me?!" She exclaims suddenly, garnering the attention of the few customers enjoying their dinner. The waiter from earlier watches them attentively, waiting to jump in the scene if things get out of hand. "You chose them, your family who turned their backs on you.Them, who never supported you. Who never gave you the love, affection and care every person needed."

 

Minjeong quickly wipes away the tear that escapes at the corner of her eye, "While I was there with you through thick and thin. I knew you since forever Jimin. But youㅡ was I not enough?"

 

"No, darling, you're more than enoughㅡ"

 

"Then why.. why didn't you choose me?" Minjeong hates it. She hates how stupid she sounds. She hates how desperate she has become. She hates how Jimin still has this effect on her. She hates how she might still be in love with Jimin. But she could never hate Jimin.

 

And she hates herself for that.

 

Jimin bites her lip, "Minjeong I thought we talked about this? We had a proper closure and it was mutual, wasn't it?"

 

Minjeong grew furious, "Mutual? I was threatened Jimin! Your father threatened meㅡ my family and you didn't even defend us from your own family?"

 

Jimin was taken aback, "Threatened? Iㅡ" opens and closes, trying to formulate words that might explain herself and to not add fuel to the fire that is Kim Minjeong. "I-i didn't know anything about this. I'm sorry.."

 

Why?

 

Why didn't she?

 

Why wasn't she aware?

 

The younger heaves a deep sigh, trying her best not to lash out but immediately softens when Jimin seemed genuine. "Your family never liked me, Jimin. The thought of their only daughter being in a relationship with a womanㅡ the same woman who broke their trustㅡ scares them. Let's just say, it was inevitable."

 

Minjeong glances at her briefly. She doesn't say anything and neither does Jimin, Minjeong takes this as a chance to eat despite the loss of apetite because of their conversation. 

 

It was silent for a couple of minutes, with Minjeong eating and Jimin recollecting her thoughts. The silence is somewhat comforting, with Minjeong still calming down from her sudden outburst. It was embarrassing, but Minjeong couldn't care less. They were strangers, but Jimin will never be a stranger to her. 

 

Jimin decided to break the ice, her eyes once again finding the courage to look at Minjeong straight in the eyes with full determination. As if the fire in those usually confident eyes rekindled and it somehow made Minjeong relieved.

 

"Minjeong." She calls out ever so softly. Minjeong doesn't respond but she stares back at Jimin. The older takes this as a cue to continue, "There's a petty reason why I chose to work here in Korea."

 

"I ran away from home just to see you again."

 

 


 


 

 

 

"Minjeong?!"

 

Yizhuo stumbles out of her room to her apartment's main door as she hears her girlfriend exclaim her best friend's name. It was past 10 and she didn't expect Minjeong to come at a somewhat ungodly hour. She and Aeri were about to head to sleep afterall.

 

Minjeong seemed lost and out of it. Hair disheveled and her plaid shirt crumpled amd wrinkled as if it was made out of paper. 

 

"Oh my god, bestie what are you doing here?" Yizhuo unintentionally shoves poor Aeri to the side as she pulls the dazed Minjeong inside. Melody, the cute, white maltese runs over to her owner, barking and wagging her tail excitedly. The puppy stayed over due to Minjeong's plans. The couple usually helps in taking care of Melody, wholeheartedly looking after her as Minjeong works her off. 

 

She absentmindedly scoops the furball in her arms, petting the fur as Yizhuo led her to the couch. A from Melody and she snapped back to reality. She was met with Yizhuo's close face, concern etched all over her face. Aeri stood behind her with the same expression.

 

"Oh, hey Ning, Gi." She smiles, although it doesn't reach her ears and it seemed plain, and dull.

 

And Aeri's obviously not buying it.

 

"Okay, spill." Aeri commands, moving to the couch paralleled to the couch Minjeong's on after locking their door. "This isn't like you."

 

Yizhuo gives her a brief, knowing look and Aeri nods. The red head pats Minjeong's arms and heads to their kitchen to grab something for Minjeong to eat. Aeri leans forward when Minjeong seemed to space out again. "Hey, Kim Minjeong!"

 

"O-oh? Sorry, I was uh, t-thinking." 

 

"Thinking about what, exactly?" Aeri pushes further. Minjeong's not the type to laze around and daydream. She's more of an observer, a keen observer. But how can she not understand Jimin's real feelings?

 

"You know, ever since you started visiting that veterinary clinic, you kinda start acting like a whole new person." Aeri says, "Are you seeing someone?"

 

Minjeong's cheeks burst into deep shades of red and pink. "N-no way! It's not like that.."

 

Technically not.

 

"No way, you're lying." Yizhuo returns with a tray of refreshments and snacks, and Minjeong's favorite cheesy chips. They always have a stock of those in cases like this where Minjeong magically appears out of nowhere. 

 

"So was Yeji right? The vet's hot, isn't she?" Aeri teases to lighten up the mood, earning her a smack from her red headed girlfriend who sat next to her. She pouts and rubs the sore spot, but Yizhuo only glares at her.

 

Oh definitely. The vet is hot as .

 

Minjeong scratches her cheek out of habit, trying to find the words to break it out to her most trusted friends. They knew Jimin. They knew everything about them. From childhood to college, they witnessed everything. Minjeong could tell them everything and they would never judge her.

 

That's how best friends work, right?

 

"The vet's fine, she took care of Melody well." Minjeong mutters, combing through the white fur. "Get this, she also has a puppy named Kuromi."

 

This piqued their interest, especially Aeri who is fond of the cartoon. "Was it Kuromi? Wasn't it Karomi?"

 

"Karomi is Jimin's nickname, babe." Aeri nudges her girlfriend, whispering lowly to prevent Minjeong from hearing. Unfortunately, she has a hearing made by the Gods. 

 

Minjeong sighs. "I came to tell you guys that well," She pursed her lips, "I've been seeing Jimin."

 

The scandalous look on Yizhuo's face made Minjeong want to guffaw, only if the topic isn't about her meeting her ex-girlfriend. Aeri had her lips pressed in a straight line, suddenly mum. "Jimin? As in the Yoo Jimin, your girlfriend for 4 years?"

 

"Correction: ex-girlfriend." The short haired replies in as-a-matter-of-factly manner.

 

"Since when?! And why didn't you tell us sooner?!" The pair flinched at Yizhuo's banshee-like voice as she exclaims. "I feel betrayed."

 

"I thought there was no reason to tell you guys about it since it was just professional. I came for Melody afterall, but I never expected Jimin as the veterinarian." 

 

"Jimin unnie's a vet? I thought she'll pursue Neurosurgeon?" 

 

Minjeong shrugs, "I don't know. I never had any communication with her since she left." 

 

Suddenly Aeri heaves a heavy sigh, grabbing a glass of juice and drinking quickly. The glass hitting the coffee table made a rather loud sound, catching their attention. '"I'm sorry, Minjeong."

 

She sounded serious and her trembling fingers made Minjeong worry. "What for?"

 

"Iㅡ" Aeri briefly glances at her girlfriend who wore the same concerned look from Minjeong. "I've been in contact with Jimin for a long time.."

 

Her voice falters upon seeing Minjeong's expression. She couldn't quite put a finger exactly on how to describe it. Was it pain? Longing? Betrayal? Somehow Aeri sees a glimmer of relief and hope. But Minjeong runs her a hand through her bob hair in attempt to get rid of the frustration

 

"Why didn't I know anything about this?" Yizhuo smacks Aeri by the arm. The poor half Japanese could only groan and rub the sore spot. It's a miracle that Aeri managed to live with Yizhuo without any bruises covering her body.

 

"Ouch, babe that hurts!" Aeri pouts at her girlfriend, only to receive a glare from the red head. 

 

"Okay, fine. I know we promised never to keep secrets from each other. But babe, this is Jimin's secret. It's Jimin's, not mine." She gives Yizhuo a small squeeze on the arm, "It's Jimin's story to tell. I am merely a secret keeper."

 

Yizhuo sighs and Aeri side hugs her. Minjeong didn't mind the public display of affection and have lived four years as their no.1 third wheeler. "Okay well, I guess that doesn't matter."

 

"I didn't want to say anything about it since I've assumed the both of you have moved on and you two didn't want any connection anymore." Aeri says, "But well, I know something you don't" Her wink made Minjeong scrunch her nose. Yizhuo looks at her, as if telling Aeri to shut up. "You have moved on, right?"

 

Minjeong breathes through her nose harshly, feeling a headache coming. "Of course, of course." 

 

Stop lying to yourself.

 

She believed she has moved on long ago.

 

But seeing Jimin, talking to Jimin, listening to Jimin made her feel things she shouldn't have.

 

How dare she come back and barge into Minjeong's already peaceful life?

 

And Minjeong didn't even bother to push her away.

 

Just why?

 

Yizhuo's frowning at her and Minjeong knows she can't lie and slip away from this. Her friends can easily read her like an open book. 

 

She scratches her head, "I- I know I am supposed to be alright and I shouldn't be affected by Jimin. But , she's been making me confused since last week and I swear, I don't understand. I don't understand why I'm acting like this. Why are her words affecting me so much?" 

 

The pair takes Minjeong's side and gave her comforting pats. "It's okay Minjeong, tell us everything."

 

"She said she's glad to be back.

 

And I'm glad she's back. But I'm not sure if I'm glad to have her back in my life like she wanted to."

 

 

 


 

 

i'm somewhat back lol idk what i am doing but here it is, the kinda angst type of feel or whatever i just know i at describing things. 

 

I was supposed to update this earlier but somehow, when I woke up I found out that I forgot to save and lost around 900 words lol but hey, i guess it's okay, i just rewrote a few scenarios

 

i've been very busy lately but i tried to write bit by bit heh KEEP STREAMING GUYS LET'S GIVE OUR GIRLS THE WIN THEY DESERVE!!!

 

anyways, i wanna hear your thoughts, how was it? Things are just starting heh but i hope it wasn't too heavy (?) 

 

i feel so dumb rn lol anyways see you next chap!!

.