They'll love it, everyone out there.

The strongest man can be slaved by a kiss

 

"Yongguk. Great, now we're complete."

 

"Hello, Miss Yang."

 

Singing class takes place in one of the 4 smaller concert halls of the school. They usually sit around on pillows and blankets on the floor, forming half a circle around their teacher. Yongguk sits down next to Himchan who greats him with a nod. Just then Miss Yang claps her hands and raises a colorful flyer.

 

"Do you know what this is?"

 

They all shake their heads.

 

"It's a flyer about Seoul's annual Song Festival. This year SOPA High will host it, so we, the 3rd year singing class, have to prepare a special performance."

 

While everyone around them was looking excited, Yongguk is ashpale all of a sudden and Himchan notices it.

 

"Don't worry", he whispers. "I doubt that they'll make you sing operas."

 

"But Miss Yang", one of the girls says. "The festival is in 4 weeks, that's not a lot of time."

 

"That's right, but you might've noticed that I've been testing you individually over the past months. All of you, even those who came to us this year are more than good enough to perform. I already talked with Mister Choi and he agreed to help."

 

"The 3rd year rap teacher?" Hyosung asks and Miss Yang nods.

 

"SOPA High focuses on a classical education when it comes to music, but I think we all want to perform something fresh and modern, even though we still have to add something classical. That's why I'm glad that we have Bang Yongguk."

 

Yongguk looks surprised when Miss Yang says his name.

 

"Me? Why?"

 

"Because Mister Choi told me about your songwriting. I don't think we want to cover something, that's why it would be great if you could help us with writing the songs."

 

Songwriting is something Yongguk is confident about, that's why he smiles.

 

"Of course I can. How many songs do we need and what should they be about?"

 

"Well, this is something we have to discuss", Miss Yang smiles. "I'm not going to give you any conditions, just that it shouldn't be illegal or in any other way disrespecting our school and country, okay?"

 

Yongguk grins.

 

"I think I already have some ideas."

 


 


 

 

 

Ten days straight Yongguk barely has anything else on his mind than writing lyrics. Wherever he is, whatever he's doing, he always has a small notepad and a pencil within reach. Himchan even saw him walk in and out of the bathroom with his precious notes and he was sure that if someone tried to touch them the older would probably drive his pencil into their throat.

 

They had singing class every day from then on, with the principal having canceled a few of their other classes so that they could concentrate on the preparations for the festival.

 

On Monday, October 29th he arrives late at his singing class. He enters the concert hall with a tall, young boy following him, his hair blond and his clothes colorful.

 

"Hello guys", Yongguk greets his classmates before pointing at his company. "This is Choi Joonhong, but he prefers to be called Zelo. He's in my rap class."

 

They all greet him happily when the two sit down and Yongguk pulls out his notepad along with his now much shorter pencil, looking at them all.

 

“Sooo... I spent the past days with songwriting and Zelo and me, I think we have quite a few good ideas for the festival.“

 

“Awesome“, Jieun smiles happily and they laugh.

 

"Yeah“, Yongguk grins before looking at Zelo. “So... maybe we could just show them what we have?“

 

 


 


 

 

 

It's November 16th and SOPA High is not far from a beehive. Since 5am everyone is busy running around preparing the campus for one of Seoul's greatest music festival. Since 6am the singing class is preparing their stage, the large one this time and not their usual small one. Everyone is tense but it was this kind of good tension, the kind that makes you incredibly excited and more than ready to go out there and enjoy the performance. Within all the hecticness Yongguk gets a hold of his best friend.

 

“Hey, where's Zelo?“

 

“Oh, dunno... I think I saw him backstage with some of the dancers.“

 

“Okay, thanks...“

 

“Ah, Yongguk...“

 

“What?“

 

“Hyosung told me that Jieun is already incredibly excited.“

 

Yongguk immediately swallows, scratching his neck.

 

“Really?“

 

Yeah! She says that she hasn't been talking about anything else for the past days!

 

Sudden warmth floods Yongguk stomach and he grins, all of a sudden high-fiving his surprised best friend before rushing off to find Zelo. Himchan grins.

 

 


 


 

 

 

The concert hall is dark, the only spot of light is the huge stage, the backdrop showing the inside walls and doors of the school's entrance hall. A few guys in college jackets and jeans where playing basketball next to a basket hanging on the right side of the stage while a few girls in cheerleader costumes were standing on the right side, giggling and pointing at them. The boys notice them so they grin and turn around, showing off a few cool break dance moves when all of a sudden the school bell was ringing. More students in colorful uniforms and college jackets pile onto the stage through the main door in the middle of the backdrop, then music could be heard and a tall young boy appeared on stage. He grins before raising his mic to his lips and starting a fast rap.

 

We run to our prepschools
As we leave our schools behind
I already know it but why do you keep teaching it again, uh
Only yawns from teacher's words
Only scribbles from the drawing paper called, blackboard
Taking thousand dollars private lessons
This system that emphasizes grades over friendships
This pressure called exams
This burden called, college
The stress that are building up
Would my parents know?

 

Then Yongguk, who's been in the back with the other students of the singing class which would be their choir steps forward, starting his part of the rap.

 

I like walking loosely
But why do you only want straight posture
My dream is to hold a mic and rap
But again, I grab a pen and write down math formulas today
Yeah, things that we learn at school
Are losing dreams and always giving up
Do what you like
Love what you do
Ask yourself, what you wanna do

 

Now they sing the refrain together with the choir while dancing their choreography and when Yongguk's eyes wander over the rows of people in front of them he could see Jieun stand their clapping to the rhythm with the rest of the audience while smiling at him. His heart jumps and energy floods his body.

 

Never give up
Cheer up, toward your dreams
Never give up
Get up, get up, you can do it
Wake up, wake up
Don't worry, everything will be fine
Never give up
Because it's you, it's you
Believe in yourself
Never give up

 

They have seemingly endless applause when they finish their performance, everyone looking exhausted but happy as they bow multiple time before they disappear behind the stage again. While the principal holds a speech welcoming everyone at SOPA High and informing them about the importance of this and that and more they close the curtains and push the school setting aside, turning the stage into the panorama of an abandoned, dusty road through a desert. Backstage Yongguk is changing out of his colorful outfit into darker clothes, dark blue baggy jeans, a white wifebeater and a grey hoodie with black lines. He was just checking his shoelaces when someone taps his shoulder and he looks up.

 

“Jieun, hey. Are you ready?“

 

“I'm incredibly nervous, to be honest“, she laughs, playing with the necklaces she was wearing and Yongguk smiles.

 

“Don't worry. We've done this quite a few times already, right? You can sing this better than anyone else I can imagine, believe me. They'll love it, everyone out there.“

 

Jieun swallows before straightening her short, white dress and raising her chin with a smile.

 

“You're right, we'll show them a great performance, right?“

 

The curtain opens again after a few more minutes of waiting for the principle to finish his speech. The lightning is slightly dimmed so that it seems like the sun was just going down. From the left Jieun walks onto the stage slowly, raising her mic to sing the first lines just when the music starts.

 

This cannot be love
This is not what I call love
It's you, playing with my mind
Your eyes are set on me
Always watching over me
Let me go
I don't love you anymore

 

Out of the shadows of the stage Yongguk steps out, also raising his mic. He stares at Jieun with a slight smile, stepping towards her but she doesn't return the smile, moving back slightly.

 

See I followed your shadow not expecting you to know
I call you and I love it when you're picking up the phone
I'm getting so excited when you answer and your breath is shaking
My heart is racing like the speed as which your steps are taken

Girl, you can run, but it's a waste
You know you won't escape me
These darker nights you can keep me safe, I'm going crazy
Beneath a broken streetlight at the front of your house
We're playing hide-and-seek
Baby, I'm the cat to your mouse
Trying to catch you, you, you, you
Cause you ain't leaving me no matter what you do

 

Jieun inhales looking terrified and moving another step backwards, away from him, from her dangerous stalker. Even though it hurts a bit, Yongguk is happy that they're both acting so well. During their practices they've spent a lot of time laughing about each others expressions, especially when Yongguk tried to look extra stalkerish.

 

You're going crazy, you drive me crazy
Won't you back off, I'll be fine on my own
I've had enough of you
And what you put me through
If you care at all you'll leave me alone

 

He moves closer towards her until her back hits a streetlamp on the stage. She stares at him as he lifts his hand to run his finger through her soft hair. They are so close that he could hear her breathe even over the music and his own voice. This will forever be one of the best moments in his life, he decides, even though she has to act as if she feared him.

 

At the end of their performance she turns to run away from him and he follows her. The light goes out just when he grabs her wrist and the last thing the audience could see was Jieun's terrified expression as she turns around to her stalker. For a few seconds in complete darkness Yongguk pulls her closer without thinking, hugging her and letting go just when they hear the curtains close and the backstage light is again so everyone could see something.

 

She stares at him just like she did onstage but this time there was a smile on her lips. While the sound of more neverending applause could be heard from behind the curtain the people around them are cheering too. Someone slaps Yongguk's back and he turns to look at his best friend who's grinning widely.

 

“Dude, I'm so glad we have that on film because that should've been a goddamn music video, man! It was awesome, I didn't even know that you're THAT good at acting!“

 

“Thanks man...“ Yongguk grins, high-fiving Himchan just when Hyosung runs towards them, hugging Jieun.

 

“Oh my God you were brilliant! I don't know if you saw it but your mom had tears in her eyes all the time and Miss Kang says that she's telling everyone that you're her daughter!“

 

“Wow, really? That's... amazing!“ Jieun smiles and Hyosung nods before looking at Yongguk.

 

“Oh, and she also wants me to tell you that you should change your clothes for your last performance, Mister Straight A!“

 

Yongguk nods and they follow him further backstage into the clothing/makeup department, while the rest of the students is turning the stage into an old, abandoned warehouse. Yongguk gets out of his hiphop clothes into black baggy jeans, a light grey wifebeater and a black leather jacket that he leaves open. Jieun suddenly appears next to him, handing him a few of his rings and necklaces and he smiles at her while some special effects guys fumble around with his clothes and some makeup artists with his red hair.

 

Just then a crash could be heard and someone yells a row of profanities. Yongguk turns around and watches as a few of the dancers help a skinny blond guy out of what was once a part of an old forest backdrop. He wipes the dust of his clothes and quickly thanks those who helped him before he sees someone and waves. Yongguk jumps when he notices that Himchan is standing right next to him, waving at the boy in return.

 

“You know him?“

 

Himchan grins at his best friend as the skinny boy hurries closer.

 

“Of course, he's a 2nd year and definitely the best vocalist at this school!“

 

“Oh right, it's him“, Jieun nods. “He heard him sing a few of 4men's song and it was absolutely awesome!“

 

“Alright, but isn't this a 3rd year thing?“, Yongguk frowns. “What is he doing here?“

 

“Didn't you pay attention over the past weeks? He's your partner for the next song.“

 

Yongguk opens his mouth and shuts it again without saying something before he shrugs. One of their teachers calls Himchan and Jieun to help with the backdrop, so Yongguk is left alone with the blonde boy. He watches as the younger one quickly strips out of his jacket and hoodie, pulling a white wifebeater over his head followed by a plain black leather jacket. He is already wearing the black skinny jeans for his performance.

 

“No offense kiddo, but what was your name again?“

 

The boy looks up from where he is kneeling to tie his black sneakers and he smiles slightly before getting up again and straightening his clothes.

 

“None taken, people forget my name quite often. I'm Jung Daehyun, 2nd year.“

 

“Ah, right“, Yongguk nods, that sounds familiar. “So, seems like it's our turn, are you ready?“

 

“More than that“, the other smiles mysteriously as one of the special effects guys hands him a gun and gives him a few instructions.

 

Then the curtain opens again, but this time the light is dimmed, coming mostly from a few old factory lamps hanging over the stage. Slowly, music could be heard before Yongguk walked on stage, mic in his hand, scanning the audience until he saw Jieun again. She was looking excited and he knew why. This would be the finish, the final bang, the awesome last performance where he would die. He raises his mic, inhaling deeply before yelling the name of the last song.

 

I REMEMBER!

 

Daehyun appears out of the shadows, perfectly adding his adlibs before Yongguk starts the first verse.

 

I don’t know why I still remember,
All our memories that were like a living hell
I’ll remember our past. You were playing around with me
Thanks to you, everything’s changed for me
The side of me that used to be able to laugh, doesn’t exist anymore
Love is a joke to me now; my crushed heart
I tried everything to forget you,
I became better before anyone else
I hoped that you would regret it all when you saw me
Yeah, all of my music that you ignored,
Will be blasting on the streets of Seoul, Rock on
Our old habits are holding onto us,
You’re often unconsciously falling into a nightmare-like world
But still, because I was in love with you,
I won’t ever forget you

Yes, I remember

 

Daehyun had closed his eyes when Yongguk neared the end of his verse and just when the first beat of the refrain could be heard he turns his head towards the audience, opening his eyes just at the right moment to capture everyone sitting there.

 

Even if I close my eyes, I still see us
There’s still a light there
I’ll deeply retain the times we had together
Even if pain comes over time,
The promise I made for the rest of my life,
I won’t ever forget that moment until the end
I Remember

 

Yongguk enjoys how the younger boy's adlibs fit his rap verses perfectly and during the refrain he listens with his eyes closed because his friends didn't lie, this pale, skinny boy had some amazing talent. Especially when he sings his break, followed by some amazing adlibs Yongguk could feel the shivers run down his spine as he continues with his verses.

 

Near the end of the song they turn towards each other, continuing with their singing and rapping as Daehyun raises the gun, pointing it at Yongguk's chest. They keep eye contact and just into the silence after the last line was sung and no music could be heard anymore, the younger pulls the trigger and loud shots could be heard echoing through the concert hall. One, two, three. Yongguk could feel the little explosions when the small bullets punch holes into the small plastic bags hid under his wifebeater, ripping the fabric and making the fake blood spread over his chest. For a second he stays on his feet before Daehyun shoots a fourth, last time, then Yongguk drops to the ground and the lights go out. He could hear the curtains close as steps rush towards him and when the lights go on again he sees Daehyun crouch next to him with a grin.

 

“You have no idea how awesome that looked“, was all the younger said as Yongguk got up again, grinning at the blonde boy.

 

“You looked pretty terrifying, to be honest.“

 

Daehyun laughs, then Himchan, Hyosung and Jieun appear, all gratulating them on their Hollywood-style performance. All students have to appear on stage again as the curtains open one last time, bowing in front of the audience that was cheering loudly.

 

“Standing ovations“, Himchan grins next to Yongguk.

 

A few minutes later the leave the concert hall while the principal tell the audience about further attractions they could find all over the campus. From now, around 1pm to 9pm in the evening countless performances of all kinds would take place around the school, together with workshops, interviews and other things. You could make a short record in a real recording studio, you could learn the basics of an instrument you always wanted to learn, you could even take pictures with students whose performance you liked. In the future some of them might be famous.

 

Standing outside the concert hall they look at each other when Yongguk notices that Jieun is missing. Just as if she could read his mind Hyosung smiles.

 

“Jieun said she wants to talk to you. She's at the main entrance, waiting for you.“

 

Without saying anything more she grabs Himchan's arm, dragging him away into the masses of people now piling out of the concert hall where the drama class would prepare the first of a row of 15-minutes plays. Not thinking much longer, Yongguk goes looking for Jieun. Leaving the school building through the main entrance he almost runs into Jieun and for a second they just stare at each other before she smiles her pretty, perfect smile and Yongguk feels like throwing up hearts and sparkles.

 

“Yongguk-sunbaenim, I've been waiting for you!“, she says cheerily.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


A/N: I'm really sorry if the "performance" is kinda weird lol... since I myself don't have any songwriting skills this is the best I could do OTL And yeah, for "Never Give Up" and "I Remember" I took the English translations of the songs, for "Going Crazy" I took the lyrics of MoA's English cover of it because I love it so much ^^

Also, Daehyun's first quest appearance is probably one of my favorite things I've ever written XD And he will get another appearance later hahahh~ (Is my bias showing? <3)

So, anyways~ thanks for subscribing and commenting already! Stay tuned for the next chapter because it will have some interesting twists and suprisingly, not everything will be happy sunshine! ^^