Chapter 8

Spiral
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Moon Byulyi sent a ‘thank you’ to Wheein after she drove Hyejin home. The youngest member tried to get her to stay with her so that she would not be alone, but she had rather return home. The cheeky younger singer merely told her that she owned her a favour for lending her Lion to her. Her mischievous reply made her night as she returned to an empty apartment, so filled with contented days of them together. Her eyes took in her apartment and she could still imagine Kim Yongsun hovering around, busying herself in the kitchen. Her sanctuary had expanded to include her, and it felt barer with their fight. She sat on the sofa tiredly, ignoring the other messages, as she found her conversation with Yongsun.

“Unnie, can we talk please?”

She stared at her mobile, hoping that Yongsun would respond to her immediately. She steepled her hands together, fighting the desire to go to her since she knew where the filming site was. There were cameras in the site which would catch her late-night visit. The rapper sighed, running her hand through her hair absently. Tiredly, she dragged herself to the toilet for her ablutions.

After changing to a red-and-white striped pyjama hung inside the washroom, she padded out to check her mobile again—no response from her. She pressed her hand on her chest trying to ease the ache. She glanced at the invitation by Seulgi for dinner the next day and she rejected it, citing work reasons. It wasn’t wrong since she was planning to spend some quality time at the studio. She scrambled into bed and grabbed the pillow that Yongsun had used the night before. She buried her face into it and inhaled deeply. Her faint scent clung on the pillow. She held it close to her and allow that faint scent to sooth her into an uneasy sleep.

There was no reply from her when she woke up at dawn. Ignoring her mobile, she got ready for work and headed to the studio. That melancholy and deep, aching sense of loneliness in her soul placed her in an ideal state in which words and tunes flowed easily to her head, which meant that her quality of work had improved. Their producer looked at her worriedly when she handed her new scores and lyrics over to him in the evening.

“Byulyi-ssi, a sudden strike of creativity?” asked Produercer-nim, studying her deadpan expression. The corner of her eyes tightened. “Inspired by your first victory at the Immortal Songs 2?” The rapper looked even more scrawny, shrouded by large baggy clothes of monochromic colours that she usually wore when she was in the studio for either practice or composition.

“It was nice that we actually won, Oppa.” She pushed her hood away from her face, her blond hair framed her heart-shaped face. Excitement flickered in her eyes briefly before she schooled into an imperturbable expression. “We didn’t have much time to work on our composition because of our schedule. I just needed to clear the backload.” She scratched the side of her nose absently, stowing her hands into her pockets as she bounced on her balls of her feet.

“OK. Good work, Moonbyul-ssi,” smiled Producer-nim, glancing through them. It seemed like they were ready for another round of recording in the studio. The rapper had come a long way since she had debuted, producing lyrics that fitted different moods and themes.

Byulyi nodded before padding back to her favourite practice room to compose. It was a place that she had commandeered after long time of use. While RBW had other artists, none of them were as successful of them, which gave them a little leeway like this.

The lanky rapper dropped into the seat before the keyboard as she pressed a few chords absently as her right hand flirted with the ivory keys for a melody. It took her a while to realise that it was one of their newer songs from their album ‘Melting’, ‘I miss you’. Her brows creased slight as she pulled up her dark hood, staring at the keyboard idly. How could they break up when they were not together in the first place? She smacked her hand against the keyboard, ending the tune.

Byulyi withdrew her mobile from her pocket for the nth and checked her messages from Yongsun again and noticed there was no reply. She thought of their schedule the next day: they were going to surprise the WGM couple at their place. It was one of the reasons why the kids were not with her since they were planning for next day.

A familiar song rang in her head as she pressed a few of the keys experimentally. “Trust the warmth inside, can you feel my love alive,” crooned Byulyi in the original key instead of the higher register that Yongsun had sang when they had performed this as a duet. “Like yesterday, today will pass as if nothing is wrong, please don’t tell me why. I turn to you, but I won't ask the reason you sent me away.” She continued to play the keyboard poignantly. “I wasn't good enough for you. So I always wondered when the end would come. Then, I told myself I’ll walk away from you, smiling, so you wouldn’t fee bad for me and I won’t regret it. This could be a sweet memory.” Her brows knitted together. No, she wouldn’t want that for Yongsun and her. “Faith is all we need. It was love that set us free.” She blinked continuously as the lyrics sank deeply into her, each word etching in her mind. Her mind drifted to that time on stage when Yongsun had held her gaze as she sang these lyrics, ignoring the audience before them as her heart skipped a beat. That memory really felt like yesterday. Yongsun was dressed in a white dress that clung to her every curve, looking like an angel, as she sang her heart on the stage of Sugarman.

Her eyes fell on the keyboard absently as she shook her legs then the idea came to her. She whipped out her mobile and started it taping function as she recorded her singing of the same part of ‘Like yesterday’. It took her a few tries for her to sound better since she had not sung properly for a while. Satisfied with the product, she sent it to Yongsun, hoping that it was sufficient as a proper apology. It occurred to her that a lot of her firsts belonged to the older woman, including performing a duet on stage.

Her mobile beeped suddenly and she hastily checked it. Her heart fell when it was just Wheein. The younger singer was checking in on her since they were done with their duties. It occurred to her that the last meal she had was in the morning before she headed to the studio. She rubbed her stomach absently before packing up. As usual, there were loose sheets of papers all over the place since she was engrossed with the creative process. After ensuring that everything was returned to its proper place, the rapper decided to meet the kids for dinner at Hyejin’s place.

Wheein answered the door when Byulyi arrived with bags of snacks. “You looked like you barely slept,” greeted the younger singer, frowning.

“I had to get some of the raps done,” reported the rapper as she removed her footwear and entered. She could smell the delicious and nostalgic scent of roasted chicken the moment she stepped into the door. “You convinced Jinie to cook that dish for you?”

Wheein’s dimple deepened as she grinned. “It didn’t take much convincing. I bought soju.”

The two women headed into the kitchen where it was quite messy. Hyejin was amid cooking their dinner.

“Unnie, you’re here! Give me another ten minutes and we can have dinner,” announced the youngest member of the group. Her face was bare, looking young and fresh.

She lifted her bag of snacks absently. “I got your favourites. There’s ice cream too. I’m not too sure if it’s a good idea if we’re having soju.”

Wheein cheered, clapping her hands together. “Ice cream.” She helped to stow the ice cream into the freezer. “We’re not planning to be wasted, are we?”

“No?” offered Byulyi as a response. “I might skip the alcohol and just have the ice cream. You kids can enjoy it,” encouraged the rapper fondly, brushing her hand through her hair. Wheein took her hand and led her to the living room, getting out of Hyejin’s hair.

“I’m sorry for last night,” began Byulyi as the younger woman rested her head against her arm.

“It’s OK. Jinie updated me. Unnie and you need to talk. Yongsun-unnie was very distraught when you walked out.”

Byulyi sighed. “I expected as much. She never liked me to do that to her. I just needed some time lest I lose control of my temper.”

“I think that was what Unnie was trying to do,” smiled Wheein wryly, lifting her head to look at her. “She was pressing all your buttons.” She chuckled, shaking her head exasperated. “Did you really think that she was like your bully? That comment shook her.”

Byulyi scratched the side of her nose. “In the way that Unnie was trying to get me to conform, I guess? No, but I don’t think she is like her. I said it out of anger.” She sighed again, raking her hand through her hair absently. “I screwed up.” Her face fell.

Wheein smacked her arm hard. “Unnie, you didn’t. This is Yongsun-Unnie. Just talk to Yongsun-unnie when we have the time.”

“I don’t think that tomorrow would be the best time,” admitted Byulyi, giving her a wry smile.

Wheein hummed a sound of acknowledgment as she started to clear the coffee table in preparation for their dinner, sensing that Hyejin was almost done with their dinner. “There will never be a perfect time. I think it’ll better to speak to her soon though, Unnie.”

“Unnie’s ignoring me now,” grumbled Byulyi lightly. “Not that I don’t deserve it.” She assisted with the younger singer. “I texted her last night, but she hasn’t responded.” Her tone was filled with gloom.

“You should have called her instead, Unnie.” She made a face at the older woman. “That shows sincerity. If she doesn’t answer your call, keep calling her until she picks it up.”

Byulyi’s eyes widened. “Is this some part of a drama?”

“Don’t you think your relationship with Unnie is like a drama?” countered Wheein honestly. She looked around, satisfied with her work. She dusted her hand before she padded towards the kitchen, Byulyi on her heels.

Wheein peeked at what Hyejin was doing before bouncing to the dishes at the drying rack and fishing the dishes out to set the table. The older woman smiled to herself, seeing the instinctive camaraderie of the kids—they moved in synchronisation with each other so that they had enough space in the kitchen. It was amusing to watch how Hyejin automatically handed cutleries to Wheein as the singer gave clean serving plates to Hyejin. They had been together with each other for so long that they did not need to communicate with each other. Hyejin gave Wheein a brief hug as she walked past her to fetch something from the kitchen and the long-haired singer brightened up.

Wheein handed the cutleries and plates to the amused Byulyi, observing them closely. Objectively, she could see why there were rumours about them. They were so sanguine-sweet and domesticated. Byulyi headed to the living room to set up the dining table for their dinner.

Soon, the dishes were served. Hyejin found time to roast a chicken along with preparing other small dishes. Wheein returned with soju for their dinner, much to the delight of Hyejin. Since their leader was not here, they could drink to their heart’s content. Hyejin’s newly improved roasted chicken was a hit with them since it reminded them of their idyllic days at the dorm before they debuted. It added to the light-hearted mood of the dinner as they teased each other mercilessly. The dinner became an impromptu drinking session as they continued to be silly with one another. It was worse, fuelled by the alcohol they consumed.

“When are you going to call Yongsun-Unnie?” asked Wheein, staring at Byulyi who was sipping her cup of soju. Despite her protest to drinking, she could not help joining the kids. It was fun to drink without needing to watch over the lightweights.

“Do I need to? We’re seeing her tomorrow?”

“You should show some courage, Unnie,” chided Hyejin. “Didn’t you say that you would apologise to Yongsun-Unnie?”

“Unnie has been ignoring me,” protested Byulyi vehemently.

“Hand over your phone now, Unnie.” Wheein extended her hand towards her.

Byulyi shook her head, pressing herself against the table so that she couldn’t take the mobile phone from her.

The two younger singers shared a quick look with each other before they launched at her from both sides. Byulyi valiantly fought to hold on to her mobile as the two younger women used their teamwork to advantage to steal the phone from her. Finally, Hyejin had her arms around Byulyi’s arms, immobilising them fully as Wheein whipped out her mobile, a triumphant smile on her face. She looked at Hyejin and the younger woman directed Byulyi to unlock her mobile.

“You can let me go now, Jinie. Seriously, you need to stop enabling Wheeinie sometimes,” complained the rapper, frowning. The host released her as she returned to her seat, ignoring her grievances.

“Maybe you should change your name in the contact right now?” advised Hyejin, excited. “Fluffy Flour cake?”

“What’s wrong with Wheepup now?” complained Byulyi, cradling her head with her hands.

Wheein frowned. “Is that what you named me?”

“Of course, you’re my Fluffy flour cake, right?” She wrapped her arm around her fondly. “Maybe not. That’s my nickname for you.” She leaned in and kissed Wheein’s cheek affectionately.

“Greasy! You got grease on my cheek!” wailed Wheein, frowning.

Hyejin cooed at her as she took a tissue to wipe that spot on her cheek. She cleaned her lip properly then kissed her on same spot as apology.

Wheein calmed down, seeing how apologetic her best friend. “Yeba Yongdonunnie. Found her.” She dialled her immediately and placed it on speaker.

“I think your Unnie wouldn’t pick it up,” answered Byulyi as she poured another cup of soju for herself. Hyejin took the bottle and moved it away from her so that she would not be encouraged to drink too much. They had a filming that lasted the whole day so they needed to be at peak condition.

The call soon ended since Yongsun did not pick it up.

“Your Unnie usually places the mobile on silent mode. There’s no point in calling her,” elaborated Byulyi. She reached for the bottle of grape juice and started drinking that instead when the host levelled a hard look on her.

Wheein refused to give up and continued calling their leader.

“Do you think Wheeinie would give up?” asked Byulyi, looking at Hyejin.

She shrugged, her bob bouncing with that action.

“Want to bet on it?” asked Byulyi, waggling her brow.

“Unnie, I’m here.”

Byulyi stretched her arm across and took her mobile from her. She ended the call and set it on the table between them. “Unnie might be busy at work. I don’t know what her schedule is. If she isn’t busy, she will call back.”

“Since that didn’t work, maybe we should get Yongsun-unnie drunk,” sniggered Wheein, covering with a hand. She traded the mischievous look with Hyejin. Then, they gave each other a high five, right in front of Byulyi’s face.

“What? How is that a good idea? Are you offering to take care of Unnie?” asked Byulyi, raising a brow expectantly, her gaze vacillating between the two kids.

Both kids gave her identical long looks.

“What?” answered Byulyi, not getting it. She ran her hand through her hair absently.

“Will you allow us to take care of Yongsun-Unnie, Unnie?” elaborated Wheein finally, levelling a hard look at her.

Byulyi’s cheeks reddened. “I’m not that bad. It’s a habit. Unnie might have words with me if I allowed you to take care of her when I am around.”

Suddenly, her mobile rang, getting their attention.

Her heart skipped a beat when she realised it was Yongsun. She sobered immediately, staring unflinchingly at the screen.

“Pick up the call, Unnie! Aigoo.”

Wheein accepted the call and put it on speaker.

“Byul, is something wrong?” Worry bellied her tone. “Did something happen?”

“Crap!” She hastily took the call by pressing it to her ear then she remembered it was on speaker and she turned it off. “Unnie, you called me back.” There was incredulity in her voice.

“Aigoo. I was so worried when I saw so many missed calls from you.” She heaved a sigh. The sound of her worried gave her hope. Steel entered her voice suddenly. “Since you’re fine, I can—”

“No, don’t do that.” Plead entered her voice. “Can we talk?”

Silence spread between them.

Her voice was slightly muffed as if she had covered the speaker with a hand. “Yoondun, I need to take this now. I hope you don’t mind.”

Yoondun? She blinked continuously. Is that her nickname for Eric? Her stomach coiled painfully.

“Take as long as you want, Yongdun. I’ll be downstairs.”

Her heart fell at that nickname—Yongdun-unnie. Wheein frowned when she caught her haunted expression on her face. She schooled her face to be impassive as she excused herself and headed to the kitchen. She stood in front of the sink, her back against its entrance.

Byulyi heard the opening of a door and wind blowing against the speaker of her phone. “OK. What do you want to talk about, Byulyi?” She sounded so intimidating and distant.

Byulyi scrubbed her face with a hand as she inhaled deeply. She did not know if it was liquid courage. “Can we make up?” She dropped her free hand on the counter.

There was another pause. “I don’t think that you are like Chohee. You aren’t like her at all. She’s self-centred and she had never cared about my feelings. Unnie, you care about me. I was just annoyed. I didn’t understand why you were so upset when I made a new friend.”

“Is that all you want to say?” Her voice was so dispassionate and icy.

“No, Unnie. I know that you were upset that Irene-Unnie liked me—”

The older woman let out a hiss at the mention of her name.

“I told you I didn’t care about it and it is a fact,” gushed the rapper quickly, her words tumbling over each other. “Unnie, how could you think otherwise?” Her confusion and irritation seeped into her tone. “There is no one more enchanting than you, Unnie.” Her voice softened with affection. She leaned against the counter, holding herself up with a hand, her heart aching against her chest like it had never before. The face of Yongsun, her eyes curved like new moon and a large smile appeared in her mind. “And I…” She swallowed visibly, pressing her hand into her face. “I miss you.” There was a sharp drawn of breath as if her words unsettled the older woman.

The heartfelt confession was far too much for her too. Her heart was still trying to leap out of her chest.

“I miss your saliva on my face too,” added Byulyi, trying to lighten the situation.

There was another hiss. “You just ruin the moment!” complained Yongsun, annoyed.

She smirked mischievously.

She felt a smack on her arm, and she flinched, shocked. She patted her chest to calm herself down before she realised that the two kids had sneaked in to eavesdrop on the conversation. Her eyes narrowed before she waved them away. These two nosey kids.

Wheen smiled at her encouragingly. “Tell her how you feel, Unnie,” whispered the singer, thrilled.

Heyjin merely laughed, her eyes curved with mischief.

Byulyi covered the speaker with a hand and asked them to give her some space. “I’ll treat you to ice cream later if you leave me alone,” mouthed the rapper quickly, hoping that the bribe would work.

Their eyes gleamed with excitement and they agreed to the bargain. Happily, they returned to the living room, giving the rapper some privacy.

Byulyi breathed out a sigh of relief. “Sorry, Unnie. I needed to get some privacy.”

Silence lengthened between them. “Where are you, Byulyi?” Her tone was a tad cold. An awkward silence began between them.

“I’m at our Lion’s place. Wheein managed to trick her into cooking and they invited me along,” answered Byulyi nonchalantly. “I’m not in the mood to socialise.”

“Oh? No drinking session with Seulgi and Joonhyun?”

“Not today,” answered the rapper frankly. “It’s fine if it’s us. I had some drinks with our kids. Lion stopped me by my fourth cup, so I’m fine.” She ran her hand through her hair absently.

“What? Didn’t I say that you should cut down on your drinking, Byul?”

“It’s just a few cups. I don’t even feel it, Unnie.” She could hear the wind howling on her end of her phone. “Unnie, are you wearing a jacket? You might catch a cold if you stay out too long.”

“I am.”

Their conversation lapsed again. It sounded as if Yongsun was waiting expectantly for something else.

“Do you have anything else to say to me, Byul?” asked Yongsun finally, sounding small.

“I don’t want to do it over the call,” countered the rapper firmly.

“What if I want to hear it, right now? I spent my entire day getting married,” concluded she dryly. “Trying on the white dress, taking wedding photographs to be hung in this place, planned for the wedding and performed for it as part of my vows. “The nonchalant description of her day as if it were just another normal day cut her. Yongsun was a romantic and she could not imagine how she would feel pretending to be thrilled for a fabricated wedding when they were fighting.

“Are the cameras in the filming site still rolling?”

“No. Do you want the address? Wait, you drank. You’re no position to drive here.” She sounded disappointed.

“I could take a cab there, Unnie.” Instead of waiting for her reply, she grabbed her earphones to continue her conversation as she called for a cab. She did not need the address from her since she needed to be there in the morning.

“No, just tell me about your day, Byul. That’ll be great. What did you do?”

The two kids were surprised to see that Byulyi was flying into action, packing her things. She mouthed her plan to them, and the two kids beamed.

“I missed you,” answered Byulyi without missing a bea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter