Chapter 3

Spiral
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Moon Byulyi was utterly baffled.

She could blame it on her throbbing headache, her giddiness or her inability to concentrate for long. She shifted the shades up the bridge of her nose absently, a tad too big for her liking but it did its job of blocking out all the light spectacularly. Then, she remembered that she wasn’t wearing contacts which accounted for her slightly blurry vision so that was no reason for her to push up her shades so that she could see better.

Kim Yongsun’s sweet perfume and soap clung to her like a second skin, enveloping her with the solace that her scent strangely brought her. If she was honest with herself, she really liked it. It was the scent of being safe. That wasn’t surprising since she was wearing her clothes. She picked a large white T-shirt and a pair of sweatpants that was an inch too short, revealing her bony ankles. Yongsun had helped her to roll her sleeve neatly to her biceps, just the way she liked it, when they were dressing up for work.

No, it was the wasn’t the reason for her confusion. It was Yongsun’s behaviour. She was far too affectionate with her and downright possessive. She woke up to her sleeping her lap, clutching midriff tightly as if the singer were afraid that she would leave her. She would understand her need to spoon her when they shared a bed but resting on her lap was a bit too affectionate. Her heart sped at the sight of her soft brown hair fanned around her as she clutched on her waist as if she were Ryan. Unable to handle that level of affection from her, she woke her up by pinching her nose together hard. Yongsun wanted to slap her but resisted as she got up, disgruntled. It was an adorable look on her as she stretched her muscles languidly.

Then, she fed her a little too much to make up for everything that she had thrown up. She heated up a pot of soup and some rice for their meal. The older woman even stole her spoon and fed her soup mixed with rice when she stared at the bowl tiredly.

She hovered constantly even when she used the toilet, which was embarrassing to her. She thought that was the only place that she would have gave her some privacy. Oh boy, how wrong she was. Byulyi threw the roll of toilet paper at her when she caught her peeking into the toilet for the nth time. This crazy Yeba.

What about last night when she showered her? She considered her protectiveness over the top even though she knew that the older woman felt guilty over hurting her. There was the instance which she had an emotional crisis, too moved by Yongsun’s sudden but sincere gentleness. She had been struggling against that strange pull of connection between them for a while. That pull at her soul to open herself to that mysterious link that seemed to exist between them grew stronger. Byulyi was afraid of its newness and the uncertainty especially now that she had to watch Yongsun pretend to fall in love with someone else.

And all the small touches. It felt like they had switched roles. She would help her into the van when Manager-nim picked them up, play with her hand absently through the journey to work, hold her hand to keep her close to her. She appreciated the touches because they grounded her to the present in ways that she could not explain. Without the touches, she felt like she was drifting through the day.

Initially, she did not think much of her bizarre behaviour because she could become protective of an injured member until she realised that their kids—Wheein and Hyejin—had to silently asked her for permission before they approached her cautiously, as if they were afraid that their leader would shout at them for being too close to her. The situation reminded her of a territorial puppy with its favourite toy. Their kids, for goodness’s sake! Hyejin and Wheein would never do anything to hurt her. Oh, the irony, wasn’t Yongsun the cause of her injury? Who was going to protect her from the culprit? She shook her head at Yongsun, exasperated, but the older woman merely gave her an innocent look.

If she didn’t allow even their kids to approach her, naturally she would not allow their support staff anywhere near her. The staff gave her a wide berth, under the watchful eye of one Kim Yongsun. She could feel her tracking her whenever she was, ensuring that she was physically fine even though she was paying close attention to the recording.

Even the recording studio was as hushed as a graveyard. That was her fault. She could not stand the barrage of noises when she entered the room and flinched at their hearty laughter. She reasoned that that was the normal volume for them since they were very boisterous, so she drifted to the opposite end of the room. Irritation started to build up at the increasing volume. She found herself balling her hands into fists as she tried to keep a tight lid on her temper.

Yongsun caught sight of her discomfort and hushed them quickly. She fished out a pair of noise-cancelling earphones from her tote bag as she crossed the room to her. “I’m sorry. We’ll try to be quieter,” whispered the leader, her tone filled with repentance.

The older woman took her hands tenderly into hers and rubbed her thumbs along her hands to pacify her.

After Byulyi wore the earbuds, the headache eased slightly. She was enthralled by the comforting way she examined her hands for injuries.

A furrow appeared between her brow when the singer spotted three tiny silver crescents etched into the flesh of her palms: areas in which her short fingernails dug in when she clenched her fist too tightly. Yongsun gave her a chiding look as she rubbed the marks gently, easing them. “Byul.”

She understood that look: it translated to ‘You should have told us.’

Byulyi merely smiled wryly as she shrugged. “We’re usually that loud.” It was her explanation for remaining quiet.

She sighed, brushing her hand through her wavy and thick hair. “You’re recovering,” pointed out the leader in a measured tone. Her eyes drifted to her blonde hair and she tidied it carefully, running her hand through its long length with unusual gravity.

Her heart was bursting to seams from warmth. Byulyi grasped her hand and squeezed it. “I’ll be fine. Just do your work. Don’t slack off, Leader-nim.” She nudged her head towards the recording booth slightly, reminding her of her duties as their leader.

Yongsun shook her head lightly, exasperated. She took a moment to study the rapper carefully and found her to be OK. Maybe, she was overdoing it. The older woman returned to her duties.

It was sweet that her friend was so thoughtful, but it made it difficult to keep her growing feelings in check. The rapper retreated to the darker corner to rest, her mind too dull to contemplate on her good friend’s confusing behaviour.

Wheein soon joined her on the ground, resting her back against her shin affectionately as she entertained herself with a game on her mobile. She smiled tiredly, knowing that her members would take turns to ensure that she was well.

She leaned forward to tousle her hair playfully before she closed her eyes for a quick rest. Wheein allowed her to do as she wished, instead of getting annoyed.

Since Byulyi was recuperating, Manager-nim adjusted their schedule to allow them to pack up on less strenuous activities. They had a meeting with CEO-nim regarding the filming of WGM and their promotional activities before they could call it a day.

Byulyi lowered her baseball cap and closed her eyes, letting her severe fatigue take her. Her sleep was superficial, and she found herself cresting between consciousness and slumber. She did not know how long had passed when she was gently roused by Wheein. She looked almost apologetic that she had stopped her from getting rest. The younger member pointed to the recording booth to indicate that it was her turn. Languidly, the lanky rapper stretched her muscles as she climbed on her feet carefully. The quick kip, even though it was not restful, helped with easing her throbbing headache. Her mind was less fuzzy. She removed the earbuds and slipped it into her pocket as she readied herself for her work.

Byulyi stepped into the recording booth and realised that it was dark, except for a light by the music stand with a score. She stared at the dimmed lights blankly as she removed her shades.

“Byulyi-ssi, are you able to read the score?” asked the producer, concerned. “Is it too dark?”

Oh. Did they dim the lights for her?

A smile appeared on her face.

The rapper shook her head as she removed her baseball cap and set it aside, combing her hand through her hair absently. She picked up the score and ran through her rap quickly, mumbling under her breath. Her tongue felt too thick in and she needed to run through it several times before it sounded acceptable to her.

She put on the headphone, glad that the producer had thoughtfully turned the volume all the way down for her. She flashed a thumb’s up as she continued to practice under her breath, frowning when she could not nail it.

Her mind was duller than usual, so it took a while for her to catch up with the music. Her tongue tripped over her pronunciation several times, annoying the rapper. Her mind seemed duller than usual, an effect from the injury. Frustrated, she paced back and forth in the studio as she recorded her part then asked for a re-recording when it did not come out the way she wanted it to.

The rest of the members looked on worriedly, noting that Byulyi was not at the optimal state of producing music. However, they knew not to intervene, trusting in the rapper’s talent to produce good music no matter the state she was in.

After the umpteenth time, Byulyi managed to produce a recording that she was contented with. She nodded to herself when the producer played her recording back before she flashed another thumbs-up. The producer glanced at Solar and she gave her approval too.

The rapper’ shoulder slumped with exhaustion from the long period of concentration. The headache that had eased with rest returned with a violent vengeance, causing her to wince. She put on her shades and picked up her cap. The rapper rubbed her temples lightly as she walked out of the recording booth. She was not surprised when her leader picked up instantly.

Yongsun noticed her discomfort immediately and grasped the crook of her elbow firmly, guiding her to the large couch behind the producer. “Wheein-ah, fetch my bag. Byulyi’s water bottle and medicine are inside.”

“Ah, I’ll get her something light to eat,” offered Hyejin when she noted how pale Byulyi was. “Unnie can’t have medicines on an empty stomach.” She picked up her wallet and hurried out of the studio.

“Thanks, Jinie.”

Yongsun set her on the couch carefully as a worried Wheein returned with a large tote bag. The eldest woman fished out the two items from her bag. Byulyi took the pills that she had offered and drank her water.

Yongsun squeezed Wheein’s hand tenderly to reassure her. “Wheeinie, you can get ready for your recording. I’ll look after your Unnie.”

She nodded absently, thankful for their leader. She headed into the recording booth after returning the booth to its original conditions.

The older woman guided the wincing rapper to lay her head on her lap. “Just close your eyes, Byul.” She carded her fingers with her hair tenderly, switching between kneading and caressing.

Byulyi moaned instinctively as she relaxed into her thighs completely. She wiggled slightly to find a wonderful position on the couch. “You’re really good at this, Unnie.” She spun to the side so that she was facing her, blocking out most of the light from the recording booth.

Noting her discomfort, Yongsun took off her jacket and covered the rapper’s head. The rapper shifted uneasily in her lap for a while before she fell asleep again, lulled to sleep by the comforting touches of Yongsun. When she knew that she was fully asleep, she slipped the shades off her face so that she would be more comfortable. She stowed her shades and her cap in her tote bag. The leader continued to thread her fingers with her hair as she monitored Wheein’s recording closely.

Hyejin returned with a bun and some snacks. She wanted to offer it to Byulyi but noticed that she had fallen asleep again. “Unnie, is it normal?”

Yongsun nodded, seeing the worry in her eyes.

“Should I switch position with you, Unnie? You need to record your part soon,” offered Hyejin, staring at the still body hidden under Yongsun’s jacket. One of Yongsun’s hand was under her jacket, her hair. It looked like the rapper was completely asleep.

Yongsun considered her request for a moment, a part of her refusing to relinquish the woman into her hands even though she knew that Hyejin would take good care of her. She bit her lips contemplatively.

Hyejin sat in the empty spot next to them, giving her unnies a wide berth. Now that her protective streak was triggered, she did not want to add more stress to her leader. She ran her hair through her short bob hair, straightening it slightly, as she watched her best friend record her part. It was always a delight to hear her best friend singing her heart out. She pulled out a box of pocket and began to eat it.

“Jinie, thanks for offering,” quipped Yongsun finally, seeing that the youngest singer was OK. “I just don’t wish to wake your Unnie up.”

Hyejin turned to look at her leader for a moment. Her lingering gaze caused her leader shift nervously on the seat. “It’s the fight last night huh, Unnie?”

Yongsun shook her head slightly as she carded her hand through Byulyi’s hair carefully. Their youngest had always been extremely sensitive and observant. “No.” She gave her wry smile. “We won’t have that much time with each other when I start filming. I don’t know how your Unnie is going to spend her time. I don’t like it when your Unnie is alone for too long.” Her hand continued to run through her soft hair regularly.

“Maybe, we should have delayed moving out huh?” prompted Hyejin, studying the sleeping Unnie idly.

“Don’t be silly, Jinie. I know you enjoy your private space. Wheeinie might drive us crazy with the amount of space she needs to indulge in her hobby.” Her smile was affectionate despite the complaint. “It’s good that we have our own space. We have stayed with one another for a long time.”

Hyejin snorted. “Long enough for us to know each other well, Unnie. Is it about five years?”

Yongsun considered her question. Her eyes darting back and forth in contemplation as she counted mentally. “It has been six with Byul and you. Two with Wheein.”

“That’s correct,” smiled Hyejin sweetly. “It took me a while to get used to staying alone. Wheein comes over frequently so I’m sure she missed it too.” Her gaze fell on Byulyi again. “You don’t have to worry about Unnie. We’ll take care of her. We’re the loser crew after all,” reassured Hyejin as she squeezed her hand firmly. “We’ve to stick together. With your impending marriage, you’re really the winner in life. We, the swinging singles of MAMAMOO, must stay together.” She pumped her fist into the air, determined.

Yongsun chuckled fondly at the joke. “Swinging bachelorettes huh? The reason for the marriage ice age?” She raised a brow, her eyes glinting with mirth.

Hyejin shared a chuckled with her before the merriment faded from her eyes. “Don’t worry, Unnie. We’ll look after one another. You don’t have to worry about how Unnie is going to cope with your absence.”

Yongsun looked serious for a moment. “Can you search for a card in my bag?”

Hyejin arched a brow in surprise as she searched her bag carefully. There were a lot of things in her bag, so it took her a while before she found a name card. “What is this?” She examined the card, interested. “Kim Dopul?” She nearly burst out laughing at the sight of his name. “There is really a person by that name?” She covered , muting herself with a hand. “Wait, why do you have his name card? Oh, he is a resident at the hospital.”

“Your Unnie’s attending doctor,” elaborated Yongsun in a measured voice. She took a deep breath, her brows narrowed. “He has asked her out for coffee.”

Hyejin’s eyes widened in surprise. “Wow, Unnie sure is charming. She was unwell right?”

Yongsun nodded stiffly. “When I met her, she was paler than a ghost and reeked of sweat and puke. Despite her unappealing state, her doctor wanted to get to know her better. I question the taste of this Dr Kim.”

Hyejin shook her head lightly. She shouldn’t be surprised by the power of her Unnie’s charms. “OK. That explains the name card. My question is why are you giving it to me instead of passing it to Unnie?” She tilted her head slightly, uncertain of her request. Weren’t they talking about helping Unnie to cope with the absence of Yongsun-Unnie?

The oldest woman stiffened at her question; her hand paused in mid-caress. “I wanted to throw the card yesterday when I did her laundry,” admitted Yongsun, embarrassed. “I don’t want your Unnie to meet him.”

Hyejin’s brows narrowed. “Because he’s not a nice guy?”

She shook her head again. “No, I am just selfish,” admitted Yongsun frankly. “I don’t want to share her with others.” She didn’t think that she would be this candid with the youngest member of the group.

Hyejin stared at her for a moment, wondering if the leader comprehended her words. She did not sound like a close friend. The loneliness that accompanied her tone struck her. “Then, we should just throw this card away,” decided Hyejin immediately, her brows furrowed. She did not like that miserable look on Yongsun. She wanted to crush the name card with a hand but Yongsun stopped her quickly, grasping her wrist firmly.

“Don’t.” She met her gaze and gave her a stern look, halting the youngest member’s action. “I don’t have the right to feel that way especially due to the upcoming filming. It’s unfair to her,” continued the leader patiently as she released her hand. “Your Unnie can meet whoever she wants to meet.” Her words sounded so hollow to her.

“Then, you should hand it to Unnie,” bristled Hyejin, her eyes narrowed. “By yourself.”

She shook her head again. “I don’t know how your Unnie would react if I did that. She knows that I know about Dr Kim. Look, Jinie, I want you to pass her this name card when you think she needs someone to take her mind off things.”

Hyejin paused, meeting her gaze steadily. “Do you know what you are asking, Unnie?” She paused as she studied her leader carefully. “Unnie never says no to me. She would meet him if I had suggested.”

That was a fact: Byulyi was very indulgent with the two kids.

A wry smiled appeared on Yongsun’s face. “Well, that’s the intended outcome. It’s better than any sort of self-destructive coping mechanism I think your Unnie would indulge.” She tapped on her bottom lip, then she glanced at the woman resting on her lap.

The younger woman made a face. “Like dating anyone who is interested in her?” retorted Hyejin, rubbing her brows tiredly. With the rise of their popularity and their Unnie’s growing confidence, she could see how that could be a problem. “I agree with Unnie. I really feel like making a scene at CEO-nim’s office.”

Yongsun smiled warmly. Some parts of Byulyi had to rub off their kids.

“Yes, I don’t want your Unnie to get into frivolous relationships that would hurt her further. Your Unnie had a mild emotional crisis last night.” She her blonde hair lovingly, keeping her tone restrained.

Hyejin’s eyes widened again as she straightened herself. “Really?” Worry flashed in her eyes as she recollected their practice. There was an awkward tension between the two Unnies. She noted that Byulyi-Unnie was more withdrawn than usual.

Yongsun nodded again.

A furrow appeared between her brows as Hyejin contemplated the situation. “OK.” She ran her hand through her hair. “Why is he an acceptable candidate for Unnie to meet?” She was confused by her Unnie and she did not hide it. She did not understand how Yongsun-Unnie could ask her to encourage Byulyi-unnie to meet a stranger when the former was worried that she would get hurt? It did not make sense to her.

“He is considerate, and I think he genuinely likes your Unnie. He managed to make her laugh when she was unwell and upset,” reasoned Yongsun calmly.

Oh. Hyejin shouldn’t have doubt how observant her leader was at gauging a person’s character. “And you are OK with it? No, don’t answer that question. I don’t think I will hand Unnie the name card,” decided Hyejin finally, staring at her Unnie openly as she set the box of pocky away. “I am not going to do that to Unnie. You know that isn’t what Unnie wants.” There was an accusing look in her eyes.

Yongsun gave her a small smile, meeting her challenging gaze fearlessly. “Your Unnie won’t choose what she wants,” concluded the leader dryly, carding her hand through her soft and blonde hair carefully. This silly woman always believed that she was a Yeba and did not understand the paradigm shifts in their friendships. Her gaze gentled as she continued to run her hand through her hair.

The youngest member saw her answer etched on her face. She covered with a hand, shocked when she understood that love in her gentle gaze. “Unnie, why won’t you just tell her?” Hyejin’s question came out in a strangled voice.

“Tell her what, Jinie?” Yongsun lifted her head to look at Hyejin, bewildered.

“Tell Unnie how you feel about her?” hedged Hyejin quietly, feeling certain of her observation. She tucked her legs under her carefully, paying close attention to her leader’s expression.

“I am getting married,” countered Yongsun mockingly, staring at the sleeping woman on her lap. “It will be unfair to Unnie.”

Hyejin leapt to her feet suddenly, grim determination on her face.

“Jinie?” Yongsun grabbed her hand firmly, sensing that the youngest member was going to do something rash.

“I am going to talk to CEO-nim! Let me participate in WGM instead—”

“Don’t be silly, Jinie. This is our problem,” gushed Yongsun in a harsh whisper, trying not to awake the sleeping rapper as she pulled the youngest member towards her. “I have already explained why we were encouraged to join the programme.”

Hyejin swore under her breath loudly and shook her hand away from her. She marched to the door and kicked it firmly, disturbing the producer and Wheein. “Jinie-ah?” asked Wheein, staring at her enraged best friend. Her best friend merely paced back and forth in the recording studio, looking like a trapped lion.

Wheein immediately took out her headphone and headed out of the booth, not wishing to leave her best friend alone. She reached for Hyejin’s shoulder and squeezed it, stopping the furious woman in the tracks.

The Maknaes exchanged a lingering look between themselves before Hyejin took her hand and squeezed it lovingly in response. Wheein relaxed openly at the return of affection before lacing their hands together. She nodded at her before she put another hand around her shoulder to pull her into a half-embrace.

The producer spun to look at MAMAMOO apprehensively, removing his headphones. “Do you guys need a break?” He was surprised that the recording ended abruptly.

“Maybe a five, please,” suggested Yongsun finally, studying the silent conversation between the Maknaes. They were so close that they could have an entire chat with just a glance. “I’m sorry for taking up your time.” She lowered her head politely.

“Nah, it’s a long day.” The producer stood up, stretching his muscles. He rubbed the back of his head. “Take five then. Play nice. We already have an injured member.” He headed out of the studio, leaving the members of MAMAMOO in the room.

Wheein wandered to Yongsun, pulling her reluctant best friend along with her. “Unnie,” began Wheein patiently. “I think you should tell Unnie.” She lowered herself so that she was squatting in front of the leader, looking at her at eye level.

“Huh?” Yongsun’s eyes widened.

Wheein sighed, running her hand through her hair. “Look, I don’t know what you are planning to do to hurt you and Unnie. Just don’t, Unnie.” She paused, lifting her head to meet her gaze steadily, communicating her resolve. “It’s not a secret to us. It’s not a secret at all except to you two knuckleheads.” She smiled at her dryly, her dimples deepening. “I think it was so obvious that you were roped into WGM to squash the rumours.”

Yongsun blinked at her continuously. “Huh? You learnt all that with just a glance?” She pointed to Hyejin airily. She was extremely impressed with their intimacy.

Wheein rolled her eyes at her openly. “It’s not difficult when we know each other for almost our whole life. Besides, don’t Unnie have that with Byul-unnie? Don’t change the subject.” She grabbed her hand with both hands, her gaze soft. “Unnie, will you please don’t do anything that will hurt you or Unnie?”

Tears stung Yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter