Chapter 1: Hiraeth

Before the eclipse

Chapter 1

 

-H-I-R-A-E-T-H-

 

"Ate Jen, are you happy with what you did for Ate Lisa?" Dahyun asked her friend who staring at the front as she cling harder to her book. She tried again, "I'm not. I think about I'm with her and not your bestfriend. It was too late or early to catch this feelings from her that I find myself, if only I stay for a quite bit. Do you regret your decision?" She unwrap the straw on the chocolate drink. 

 

Jennie weren't able to answer her, but instead "Are you?" She was there conveying her intention to her younger friend. 

 

Dahyun look weary to her and sip before she could say, "Of course. I wish I was with her and not Ate Lisa who is making her happy now on that sickening monkey bar. Do you want to be the only one Ate Lisa pays attention to?" And tilt her head and see clearly what happened to her. "I'm sorry. If it's too much to ask to you." She damp a clean tissue to Jennie's both cheeks.

 

She could have not said that to her, but she continue and grill her like the way she is for Jennie. For the meantime, she was there with them and thought of it when will be this define again. The story was meant to merged to believe that it's not them, Mina and Lisa, but then it left just like that. It was too much to bear to her mind and heart too without meaning she goes astray too. Just like that, Dahyun wonder when it all began to this point. 

 

She understood her, "I'll give your own time." Reassure her that she is leaving.

 

Jennie weren't able to comprehend her decision but she needs a support from her. She gulp a lump in , "Stay." She declared in a pleading voice and cutest eyes she can muster to Dahyun that no one can resist.

 

Dahyun instead give her a glare, "I'm immune to it Ate Jennie. You don't need that when you lost to Ate Wendy and least to say to my sister too. You don't have that luck of fortune to be cute to me." She complained to her and seat to her side as she complied in her request too.

 

Dahyun felt it's not sincere whenever Jennie was like that to her. 

 

Jennie sworn that Dahyun eyes have the link to hypnotize a soul, she shook her head before she can get too familiarize on her monolid dead eyes. "I know that. You don't have to mock my overrated cute face." Jennie told her, that she is not having a good time to Dahyun exaggerated description of failure to be in her good side.

 

"You're a goddess that's why I don't want to. You can say that it was from," Jennie weren't able to stop her palpitations during or after that commotion, she block her hand before she touch her. "Lisa the love of your life. Geez." She heard that before from Lisa, and she missed out the hand of Dahyun this time. "Are you that lovesick to her? That you thought I'm Lisa. Sorry to burst out your own hallucinations. I'm Dahyun. D-A-H-Y-U-N, the one will make your life question." Dahyun spelled to her.

 

Dahyun don't know why Jennie need to be a violent to her. "Could you stop that? You're hitting like you're Ate Nayeon." She squirmed her way out to the person that giving her a hard time to dodge a multiple slap on her shoulder, arm, and elbow too. "Are you for real?" She play her cards right this time, and she grasp her two wrist in one of her hand, and then she hold her right shoulder to stop her madness. "Okay, okay you're cute and a goddess that Ate Irene can't compare from you." So what for, when it is true Jennie isn't a tale to be told as like that. She have to when Lisa gave her an eye.

 

Jennie didn't know anymore, but she was confused to her bestfriend's sister. But what she see to Dahyun was still like that and didn't feel or care for that moment. 

 

Like a routine to compliment to anyone, and Jennie is too amaze for Dahyun. To anyone else Dahyun is a person who holds an easy-going and happy go lucky.

 

What they don't know Dahyun is imprison and detained to herself that even Jennie could see that glimpse of surface this time clearly.

 

Because from where she is, Dahyun failed to see her own self that her own self defense mechanism is switching off. As she cling harder for Jennie when she cupped her cheeks and rub it tenderly.

 

She snapped and push the hands around her face, "I don't need your sympathy." She was irked to say that after Jennie say to her. After all she knows everything about her condition.

 

Dahyun don't have to say anything about it. She knew Jennie is babbling a lot of lies because of her unstable emotions. She meditate and closed that will distract her.

 

How the things goes far beyond her imagination is real?

 

When was the sunset is a sunrise to her?

 

Is it okay to ask why it's her?

 

Why she can't get away with it?

 

Would be that hindrance to her daily life? 

 

A hand erupt to Dahyun on her arm clutching it, close resemble that the place she is going vanish because of the touch, and the next thing she heard, "Do you know why lunar and solar eclipse are important?" and hummed softly a similar tone of lullaby Dahyun knows very well. She move her hand along the way down to fix her younger friend's shirt neckline to adjust it, "You think so, does it occur to your mind. Why do two kinds of eclipse occur? Maybe, this one you can thought to, why earth can see the same thing or part of the moon when it orbits while the latter isn't. Do you feel that too?" She was there staring to her monolid eyes.

 

Dahyun don't have to be genius to know what Jennie pertaining to her.

 

"Dahyun don't you know that I envy you for that. You're too mature and yet younger too." she felt it, the tone she produce is a product of regrets from the start of this deal.

 

A tear cascade to Jennie cheeks, it flows thoroughly not minding the questionable eyes of Dahyun. "I don't think yours is a curse. I'm thinking what if..." She still saying that but stop. Because a promise she made for her bestfriend a thought of not saying it.

 

"What if you're in my shoes?" Jennie told her. "Can you remember those memories with her too?" She pointed her face in a smile and nodded to Dahyun when she crinkle her forehead. "I mean..." She exaggerate to wave her hands and execute her next statement to save her dignity.

 

Dahyun tried not to dwell on Jennie mocking her. "Do you know I always pray if there's a cure too?" She ask, her eyes hold a definite pain that Jennie seems to know but can't find to feel the level of intense.

 

She and her is opposite. 

 

By then Jennie changed her sentence to Dahyun, "I, Jennie, a person who take care of you, in behalf of it, when memories aren't what you seem you have. I'll be here for you. The first thing in the morning and the end of the day will be me. Saying my name, my story, myself that you have a lucky charm friend like me everyday to you." She give her a gummy smile, heaved a deep sigh to collect her wit and there's a change of poker face on Dahyun. 

 

After that, she burst out to a laugh as it comical to say that Dahyun is a comedian.

 

Dahyun felt a prick in her heart. Jennie masked again her feelings when she side eye and got a glimpse of Lisa there.

 

Dahyun can't help but tilt her head in a way, touch the base of her cheek to distract her, "I don't get that part why you had to laugh." Jennie only lean to her hand and closed her eyes. "It's okay to say anything as long as you want. You know I'll forget that in the next day." Dahyun knows that she needs a support.

 

Though she isn't a fan of masochist side of Jennie. She isn't a sadistic not to help her and make a good use of her extra and unpredictable personality to Jennie.

 

The Jennie before, a strong and can handle anything circumstances crashed down, she looked around but Lisa, and she could still see Lisa without seeing that. She knew she was having a good time with her other half. And when she couldn't, she looked at Dahyun instead in the nightsky, not wanting to listened the laugh she love lately to the person that got away from her by her own choice.

 

She can understand them why Dahyun is a fresh of breath air.

 

Dahyun gifted her rare eye smile to Jennie, as before she hand over to her eyes to Jennie to cover it as much as she can to salvage her feelings. She closed that almond eyes not wasting anytime, when she see Lisa coming to their view in a clearer vision of public display affection than she can ask for more. She probably won't be home until now that Jennie seems breaking down. There she is, a person whom fangirling to Mina as she backhug Lisa in a scenario that an act of a kind one from a typical korean drama. Nayeon with a phone capturing juicy details that she can figured it out because of the sound coming from it.

 

Dahyun fathom her question awhile ago, "I can say..." she sigh, because she had to calm her nerves during this time Mina gave eskimo kiss to that girl with bangs, "the same to you." Her hand tremble that the book in her hands loosen abruptly with a thud. "I'm jealous of you, more than you know. Can I call you a nickname? I love Nini. It suits you Ate Jen. It sounds like a cute little girl than an ice princess." She nervously giggled to her as to mask her emotions. 

 

She continued what she was going to say, and open her eyes. "Do you think it's okay for you to tell me your eighteenth birthday wish that you don't want to tell me, Dahyun?" Even if her voice crack down, not for Dahyun but for herself shattered in this moment of the get together vacation with them.

 

She can understand them why Dahyun is a fresh of breath air.

 

Jennie was in a bubble called comfort zone even it's not the girl she hope for.

 

Dahyun leaned to connect herself to Jennie for she can't wish to see this incoming vulnerable side of Jennie.

 

She send Dahyun out her sight, too tired to deal this charades from the younger one. And sass her hand, then gave a momentum to herself to offer a grateful smile to Dahyub. "Nuh-uh" Jennie says, gave her a rolling eyes and focus to the ground because of the couple across from her, swaying her arms as she stood up where she is. "I'm older than you, kid. You are child and not me. I'm turning twenty-five years old. I told you that she can, but you. You're not." She confirmed, she walked to her as close as she can be to Dahyun.

 

Too concerned about why Dahyun was pale as ghost. She laugh to her silliness during this time when Dahyun is a replica of marshmallow or a white tofu. She straight her posture and twirl her body to Dahyun. "While Lisa is Lisa and that's it." Closely to Dahyun ear to hear it from her, the noise coming from a screaming Nayeon wasn't a good idea to talk to her in not so close proximity.

 

"Oh my goodness!" Nayeon scream as fast as she can. 

 

She can see that Nayeon was here lately than before she knew it. "Is Nayeon was here to start a fanclub for Mina and Lisa?" She giggled to Dahyun who is alarm to what she did. She isn't affectionate to anyone like this except if it's her bestfriends. And she knew by that, she wanted to a little bit because Dahyun is so serious.

​​​​

Dahyun don't have to think why there's nothing else but her. For her, Lisa is a peanut butter and Jennie is a jelly. One of the main attraction why she had to be here in this time rather to eat her chocolate which her older sister asked for her to babysit a Jennie.

 

She was mistaken by her own older sister, Seulgi, to be the older one between them. So much of being a good bestfriend to Jennie, Dahyun can't demand to her sister when Irene needed her too. As they're both free and wanted to make up there undisturbed two of a kind lovers in this vacation with their other friends too.

 

She could've been her there with Lisa, and, not Mina that has the same gummy smile of Jennie, a same time she comes to analyze a sensitive roleplay. She can't write it down in her journal for the reason she is too a receiving end of unwanted results from this gimmick called love. The background from Jennie is a replica of a of a romantic drama. Instead of she would show it to Jennie. She did the thing that would change them.

 

A label to open her life to a Jennie that her sister wanted to be her bestfriend too.

 

After a few minutes, Dahyun could've sworn that Nayeon saw that scene from the lovebirds. She knows it would make her angry if she will do it, but what she see at the incoming scenario is heavier that her new best friend couldn't see it, for now.

 

At that moment, she touch her nape, she wasn't trying to do it out of anything but pity. "Don't move." But she have to do it in a hard way and had already wrapped it in her arm. As Jennie push her body to the ground, "Listen to my heart beat, Nini." And she hold her body on top of her. She doesn't have a heart to tell why she did that to Jennie.

 

"You're not freaking doing that. Yah!" Nayeon run to her friends and shield to a ert Sana who will embrace the lovebirds.

 

And then the romantic drama is closing the remarks, "Sana! Run your life." Jeongyeon shouted to a Sana as Nayeon see a beeline of goods that was for Nayeon. But Sana had a great deal of not understanding it. "Nayeon will end you." She laughed as hard as she can when Nayeon stole Sana's bag.

 

Sana running like a madman to Nayeon playing her sacred bag. "Nayeon! Don't touch that and throw it. It's from Miyeon. Stop that before I can get to you!" 

 

Jeongyeon scream to them, "Hey! I'm going back to eat dinner with others. Goodbye, in denial lovebirds!" And dance to the song she heard as she venture her body to the buffet room. "Say it! Nayeon Loser!" She heard it fading away from Sana.

 

So that's the end of Mina and Lisa romantic getaway for Nayeon, Jeongyeon in a good mood, and Sana in a worst moment in her first day of their vacation day.

 

On the other hand, Jennie was knocked down on top of Dahyun. She could say that she did pushed her to move away from a peculiar Dahyun again. Jennie tickle, pinch, and punch too or any sort of doing to stay out of her steel hand gripping her tightly. She is uncomfortable as per se, not because of the the place they are. But she was in a compromising position to her as it Dahyun were her younger sister.

 

She bump her head to her, '"Can a person be a moon, Nini?" She whispered to her and embrace a fuming Jennie. 

 

A grunt is her answer to Dahyun. She was too exhausted and her body isn't in best state to comply when Dahyun emit a cozy bed.

 

Dahyun savor the sweet perfume from Jennie, the grass underneath wasn't comfortable but to her it is. She is lost too, like Jennie crying in her neck as she feel the warm drizzle, "That's what my wish before I," Dahyun swallowed her tears back together. She cannot be in Jennie's state too, "I can remind myself again and again. I hope you'll not wished to be me. You are Jennie my bestfriend from now on." At last, she confessed to her for the first time.

 

She had to say it, she need her friend back again. Like her usual self, Ate Jen that gave an impression of cold exterior and soft side to her loved ones. She wish Jennie would stay safe in her arms too.

 

And now, her wish granted from her bucket list to cross down without being in her disguise. To showcase anyone a hope, without hesitation to embrace, the uneven brokenness as she is too.

 

Dahyun is happy because she is. "The moon makes the earth move. Luna orbit to earth that's the reason why there's a tides even the moon drifting away." She is feeling her mind, lying her heart on the same ground that push herself to fall down. She got to save her, Jennie, from the images will harm her as the people identify her that can get away on any memory.

 

Jennie detect the embrace of Dahyun loosen up, she is too immerse of it that Dahyun voice isn't what it was like, "My gift to you Nini." The first things comes to her mind is a mature person after she listened to Dahyun and blink to verify that smile bestowed of a cordial caring atmosphere.

 

Dahyun wished not to end the night with Jennie.

 

She is aware that Dahyun will say this time, "Happy birthday to you, Ate Jen." Because of today onwards, Jennie identify the true meaning of who is Lisa really to her. 

 

Dahyun don't have a heart to tell to her that Mina and Lisa is more than a friend because of her cowardness.

 

She rub the back of Jennie's shoulder, out of instinct she touch her forehead, surprise that it's not for humid air but from her breathing trickle to her side of the neck. Dahyun wish to be in her cabin with her comfortable bed.

 

Jennie admire this side of her, and gingerly tuck her body in her comfort. She would rather in someone care than be alone again. "You're too good to be true." Jennie softly hear it, and the background noise comes off.

 

​​​​​She forgot that it's not her that passed out. It's her.

 

Jennie.

---

 

Unedited as I can get to wish this is my last or not version because I don't yet proofread it.

The image above is from Google image I searched.