2

Books Before Boys

 

Sandara Park.

 

I followed her around and always see her going to the library, borrowing more books and going about her way, reading. How many books does she intend to read anyway?

 

I try to be inconspicuous, except for the girls who’d follow me every now and then, so I tried to lose them by following her into the library despite my discomfort. I am not a man of books and the library is the least likely place you’d see me in. It was always so quiet and smelled like old paper.

 

I saw her sitting on one of the tables so I sat across from her, waiting for her to leave for home. Eventually, this became a habit.

 

Sometimes, I’d read a book as well, letting time pass. Oftentimes, I would read the books she has just borrowed so I would know the things she likes or perhaps get an insight of what she thinks.

 

I noticed, she reads many mystery, horror/suspense novels, and dramas, other times it would be books on poetry and philosophy.

 

She was reading Interview with the Vampire and I couldn’t help but ask her.

 

“Have you read Twilight? I heard it was good”

 

“Please, Twilight’s barely a vampire novel. It’s a lovestory” she said, not even looking up from her book.

 

And I thought all girls loved romance.

 

 

 

 

 

Going home, she’d ride the bus and I would try to follow her. I hated the bus as it was crowded and a violation to my personal space plus the fact that many of the girls are staring at me while she was oblivious of me the whole way except for her damn book.

 

The boys said I’m acting crazy following a girl. The rat even went on to mock me that I’m in love with her already, which I vehemently denied and no one believed. Of course I’m not! I just wanted to prove that I was better than the book.

 

 

 

 

One time going home, I was lucky enough to sit beside her. Usually, I was always behind her watching her back so I never get a glimpse of her face but this close, I could see the side of her face. And it took me completely by surprise.

 

She had clear porcelain skin, a cute nose, pink lips and long eyelashes. She did not have a stitch of make up on nor does she need to. I could just see half of her face but I know the other half was perfect as well. She still smelled just like how I remember, something sweet and a hint of baby powder.

 

I didn’t notice I was holding my breath nor there was a perceptible increase in the pounding in my chest. All I know was that I didn’t mind her invading my space, and that in itself was pleasantly weird.

 

She never looked up from the book she was reading, not until she reached her stop and stepped off the bus.

 

I was still baffled why I feel this way, wanting her to notice me and how someone as beautiful as her hides away behind a book. But then might as well, if other boys found out then they would try to get her attention as well. I don’t know why but I was feeling protective of her. I didn’t want to share her with anyone else.

 

I looked at the empty seat beside me and saw a piece of paper which probably fell from her things. It was a list of books that she has read or intends to read anyway. There were titles of books which have been crossed out and some haven’t been yet.

 

I have decided a scheme to make her notice me.