VI.

pretty pretense (chaennie)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

VI.

 

...

 

 

 

No one will probably ever understand how important underground rings are in the economy of Seoul other than the elites that run it. These rings have been established ever since the industrial revolution of the 80s when the upper class started to emerge. This has been the backbone of the booming industries of the metropolitan. And as of today, there are only nine existing circles in Seoul's biggest and brightest districts and sub-districts. These include; Gangnam-gu, Jongno-gu, Jung-gu, Mapo-gu, Itaewon, Yeouido-dong, Mok-dong, Jamsil-dong, Sillim-dong.

Under those circles are elites who freely run their endeavors and hobbies. One of which are filthy expensive. And in order to keep the scrutiny of the public and government about their expenditures, they've created these circles to protect their assets and let them flourish at the same time.

They negotiate with cutting massive amount of taxes, international trading, uncensored gambling, stock market, impeccable auctions, niche parties, controlling local gangs and everything else they can afford to do. But just as every association goes, these circles have hierarchies too. And as for Chaeyoung, she stands as the ring leader of the young High School elites, she mainly runs the Seoul circle which is mostly base in Gangnam district. Back then their circle was called the Gangnam circle but when the economy boomed in the residence then the ton decided that they will be the face and the prestige of the city and converted their name into Seoul Circle while the other districts' names remained the same.

Chaeyoung only handles the elites who are still in High School and are raised to be the heirs of their respective conglomerates. She's responsible for all the good, the bad, and the glamorous life that they all live. All covered up by their filthy money and power. Because once an elite high schooler graduates, they'll be endorsed to the higher level of the hierarchy. And that's another story to tell.

This is why Chaeyoung is scourging over this predicament. She can't afford to break the reputation that she has built over the years. Not to a underling from Itaewon. It will be a shame to the glory that she has enjoyed as a native elite of Seoul, now more than ever.

...

Heavy echoes of grave footsteps overhauled the building floor. An enraged Chaeyoung marches through the heavy guarded hallway, simultaneously punching and kicking the security personnels that were stopping her. Suzy Bae. It was the only name thudding through her head as her eyes targeted the last door in the hallway. How dare you betray me. Chaeng has already succumbed to her anger. As she always does.

When she arrived at the door, she quickly pulled her gun to shoot the high-end lock and busted it open. And to no surprise, Suzy was already pointing a gun towards the arriving senior.

Both were taking a stance with guns targeted on their heads.

"Good morning." The older one smirked with the intention to irritate Chaeng's sanity. "I'm guessing you came to me for old time's sake?" She added to spite.

"WHAT THE DID YOU DO?" Chaeyoung immediately lashes out. With her hands obviously quivering at the pent up rage she had.

"I did what was promised, Chaeng." Suzy smiles, almost mockingly. Chaeyoung finds offence over the nonchalance.

"You did ing nothing. You think Sooyoung's just playing around?! She would literally take me to the ground and infiltrate Seoul because I lost the auction!" Chaeng begins to burst out. A scene that Suzy hasn't seen in awhile. "Business will be in shambles underground if the ring leaders hear about this! And really? You had to stoop that low and make that sophomore suffer too? If she ever speaks out about this then we're all dead." The blonde adds in fury.

"You think I am ruining you? How pathetic. You know me better than that." The latter spit, rolling her eyes.

"You really don't know how to draw the line, do you?" she scorned with squinted eyes.

"I just simply put things into perspective for you Chaeng."

Then a look in question finally triggered from the senior, one that Suzy was waiting for. 

"You've always known that I never trusted Sooyoung's impulsiveness. I want to protect her from her own doom. Just trust me on this." She explains.

"By making me suffer as well? You know how badly she hates me from taking you away from her."

"No." Suzy sighs as she rests her gun down. "Just take the loss."

"That's like sentencing myself to death." She rebutted tightening the grip on her gun.

"You're wrong. Jennie will save you." The brunette brings down her gun and nailed a serious look over the blonde.

The tension disheveled into confusion. "How can a ing clueless far flung nouveau riche save me from this potential national crisis?" The senior was distraught.

"The ring elections." She enunciated with her facial expression going darker.

Chaeyoung looked more pissed, "How is that even of any help?!"

Suzy sighs, "Think about it. You can let Sooyoung win the auction, but make her lose in the next ring election. One is only qualified to acquire districts if they are ring leaders, and if you make Sooyoung lose her position then the auction will be invalid. And in order to do that, you will need an Itaewon elite to compete with her in the district. That's when Jennie comes in. Once she wins, she can bring back the rights to you. Both of you will be untouchable." 

Chaeng's face almost cleared, that almost felt easy for awhile, but her skeptic self still reflected. "And if that doesn't work?"

"You have seven weeks before the next election starts which will give you time to overturn her reputation and make the elites turn against her. And come on, everyone's alrea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter