Part 3 - They

Full Bloom - Jaemin x Ryujin

Not many people know, but Jaemin already got his driver's license back when he's 18 and not long after that he bought his own car. This because: One, he never feels the importance to actually drive since the managers and other members will do that for him, and thus Two, his car usually just sits there in his family home for his parents to use. So today, upon the members' suggestions (more like coercion), he asked his mom to drop off his car at the dorm with the most believable excuse that "The members and I are going on a road trip and one car won't fit us all" and for the first time ever he's going on a car date. Exactly because it's the first time ever - he's now a nerve wrack. He never ever went on a car date, let alone a real date.

Nicely parked in the basement of ITZY dorm, he's sitting in the driver's seat and tries his best to calm down. He arrived 20 minutes early, credit to the members nagging that you should not be late on your first date but left unsure whether to let her know that he's already here. Will I sound too excited if she knows I'm here too early? But isn't that the point, to let her know that I'm into her? He growls in frustration. Let just go for it. He made up his mind and decide to call, "Ryujin-a, it's a couple of minutes early but um.. if you're ready, I'm downstairs"

"Ah! Okay oppa, I'm heading down" 

"I'm at the B1 parking lot, my car parked near the elevators"

"Oh, you're driving?"

"Ne, it's a black hatchback Mazda, you can tell directly which one's mine because the other cars here were all white and grey" 

It doesn't take a while until the elevator open and he caught sight of her. Nervewrack intensified as he observes her wandering eyes. Their eyes then met and he smiles over her while cueing that it's him. Calm down, calm down, calm down. With every stroll she makes, he tries to calm himself. I can do this. She jumps to his car, taking the passenger seat comfortably. "So shall we?" He hits the engine and dozes off ITZY dorm.

"Since when do you drive?" She ask in pure curiosity. 

"I got my license 2 years ago"

"And why we never saw you actually drive?"

"Because there's no necessity for me to drive before"

"Yeah the cool term for i'm too lazy"

She didn't expect that they're being laid back. On her way down, she replays different kinds of scenario where it'll be super awkward for her. Maybe a hint of uncomfortable silence or nervous laugh. Once in a while, she'll steal glances of Jaemin driving. Not only that he looks mature behind the steering wheel, but he's deadass gorgeous. Eye focus on the road, his long eyelash accentuated by the streetlights. 

"You know...If you keep staring, I might turn into strawberry" he pokes fun while mischievously grinned and stared back. Unbeknownst to her, he also trying to keep his cool. Thanks to the dark street and heavy tainted glass, she couldn't pick out how red his ears and neck becomes. He could feel the heat of his cheeks. 

"Ya did you just choose strawberry out of all red fruits you can pick" she taunts back with his dislikes of strawberry. It's public knowledge that he despises them. His fans know it, know it, so it's not surprising if she is also aware of the fact. 

"Just because i pick out strawberry for jokes, doesn't mean I have to like them" 

It's a quick drive from Gangnam to Hanggang. They soon arrived and he parked the car. When they're on their way out, they respectively put on their mask and hats. Jaemin signature white Balenciaga hat and Ryujin's hood. For precaution.

"Shall we grab some snacks at the convenience store first?" he offered. She quickly agreed and they walk side by side to the usual store. The cashier, who's not surprised at all with celebrity appearances and already very familiar with NCT-ITZY-SKZ crews, welcomes them with a knowing smile. He asked where are the other with a playful smile and Jaemin quickly shrug them off by saying that others were in their dorm. 

She now internally freaked out. What should i do next? What should i say? Damn. They now on their way to their usual spot. The usual spot that far enough from the crowd, but perfect to get the view of the river and city lights. Walking side by side, with the awkward distance between them - not too close, yet not too far. Jaemin, the entire time, was thinking about what to do. Should i move closer? Will she be uncomfortable? He carefully put the distance, but occasionally their hands and shoulder will brush onto one another. Thanks to the mask, she won't notice the small shy smile every time they come into contact. 

On the other side, she also wonders whether she needs to confront it's a date thing and clarify his intention. Because she's still in denial that the feeling mutual and frames the whole remarks as a joke. They now sat in the usual bench side by side, slurping their drink. She still overthinks, Should i ask first?. She considered for quick 10 seconds before blurred out "So, is it a date?"

She quickly regret it because not carefully calculating what his responses will affect her. If he says yes, she'll be very happy. Hands down. But, if he says no, it'll turn the whole situation sour and she'll probably pissed.

"Wae?" her brows knitted together but despite the mask, she can see that he's beaming.

"Just because~"

"Ey~ I already said it's a date, don't you trust what oppa says"  They fall silent. Though one can say that he made a very casual remark and the air is relaxed, they both rumbled with their inner thoughts. Trying to compose them, respectively. After a 5 minutes of silence, 5 minutes that feels like forever, they decide to speak out "I-". Both in unison, they start laughing. She doesn't understand what's funny about speaking in tune. But well, seeing him laughing also triggers her to laugh. While him, find the situation funny because he could pick up how nervous they both were.

"You go first" - Jaemin offered

"I- I don't want to overthink this, but maybe I already overthink it" she starts off hurriedly. "I don't want to, you know, way over my head and think that it is what i think it is" 

"And what do you think it is?"

"That...um...that...."

"That I like you?"

"Yes, that"

"Well, i won't go this far and take you out on a date if i don't" Jaemin explains. Unlike his usual fast-talking, he says word by word thoughtfully. Hoping that she picked up the signs. "I don't know whether this is how you should confess to the one you like, on first date at that, but yes Ryujin-a....i like you" She couldn't hide her surprise. He read her through, and now he grows even nervous as she didn't reply. He didn't dare to look at her, although they're sitting side by side. They only stare ahead, and every second passes he keeps wondering, is it a good decision? Did i just flop my confession?

"I like you too"