Captain

Words in Page

Stream and Vote today too! Go go gooooo we're doing so well for Seungyoonie ^^

 

 

 

 

This pirate ship has a really weird captain. He’s kinda lazy, doesn’t care that much about treasures, hate beer, and paints all day. This is nothing I thought I’d have to deal with when I agreed to jump on his ship and sail away from the Fisher’s Island. Sometimes I find myself staring at him, who’s sketching an imaginary sea monster on the crow’s nest, while pondering over that day still.

 

“Seungyoon, have you checked the compass?” A young crew asked.

 

“I have.” I sighed. He followed my line of sight and chuckled.

 

“Keep looking at him and you’ll fall in love like the tavern girls do.” He patted my back.

 

Love? I’m in a bigger problem than that.

 

This old but grand ship drop its anchor on the Fisher island four years ago. I just turned 18, was about to be given my very own fishing boat by my father. About to embark on my own ‘journey’ to support the family. It was never a future I wished upon myself, I knew it since I was a child. I wanted to be a pirate.

 

Big ships with guns, fire cannons, and a skull on their sail. Fighting their way to treasure and glory, throwing rampage and chaos everywhere they laid their eyes on. The sea is their home and the storm is their throne.

 

At least that’s the image I got from when this one pirate crew came to visit the island. They looked scary but it was the epitome of cool in my eyes. Eyepatches, scars, old shimmering gold ring on the captain’s finger. They came to find a crewmate who ran away, made a loud announcement in the town center that ‘anyone who finds the traitor and gives him up to the pirates will be given a chest full of gold and diamonds’. My young self ran around town to find the so-called ‘traitor’, wishing that I could trade the chest prize into being one of them. As it turns out the traitor was not on our island, and the pirate left after three days. I was devastated.

 

I held on to that dream, and when this beautiful ship came sailing to our island I was... speechless. I stood on the pier, my father calling my name over and over to help him carry the fish as I stare at the beautiful mermaid statue on its bow. The ship is massive, twice the size of the only other pirate ship I saw. I told my father I wanted to see it closer and I ran before he could give me permission. When I arrived, people are flocking the port. Pirate visits are rare, you see. They are as curious as I am. But some of the townsfolk kept their old swords closely on their side because even though this island is protected by the marine’s law, pirates are also known to be a bit insane. Wouldn’t be the first case of illegal raiding.

 

“What is that flag?” One of the townspeople mumbled.

 

“Blue rose on a skull... Never heard or seen it...”

 

“A new pirate crew? But how could a new crew have that big of a ship?”

 

“If we don’t see their flag on the wanted list then it’s safe right?”

 

Blue rose on a skull... I’ve never heard of it either. A mysterious nameless crew, a huge ship... My curiosity peaked. The crews started going down, they all look... well, pirate-like. Though I must say they don’t look quite as intimidating as the one I saw years ago. Sure they’re mostly big and burly with tattoos on their arm but it’s not what makes people ‘intimidating’. It’s their gaze. their intention that slips out from their gestures. There are young crew too, small and child-like. Do these kids roam the sea with a pirate?? Are they slaves? They’re laughing and joking around with the fellow big muscly men too, though...

 

One of the crew went straight to the island elder, bowing their head. They seemed very well mannered. They explained that they are here to visit the island’s jungle and rest. The jungle? The elder seemed suspicious of their intention but the pirate’s spokesperson took out a small pouch that jingles with a very familiar ringing of gold coins. The elder cleared his throat and welcomed the pirate just like that.

 

People started to spread away, done with staring at the ship and most of the crew who walked right into the town possibly for food and beer. But I wasn’t done with it. I sneaked through the barrels full of fish to get a better look at the mermaid. It’s magnificent. Beautiful. Carved by the best craftsman, it must be. I was standing there in complete awe when a voice suddenly struts its way to my unsuspecting ears.

 

“Beautiful isn’t it?”

 

I jumped, almost screaming out loud.

 

A man with arms full of tattoos. He’s wearing a white tunic top and simple black trousers. Worn-out boots on his feet and a blue scarf used to tie his long black hair.

 

“I—I wasn’t trying anything!” I quickly defended myself. He is very obviously part of the pirate crew, and the last thing I want is for them to think I’m some petty island thief.

 

“I know.” he chuckled, “I used to stare at her in awe too, for hours even.”

 

He looked away from me and at the mermaid statue. His face is gentle and almost too delicate to be called a man who wanders the unforgiving sea waves.

 

“She’s the one and only beauty.” He smiled fondly. I caught myself staring at him instead upon that sentence.

 

“You’re one of the ship crew, right?” I asked.

 

“I am.” He suddenly turned to me and offered a handshake. “My name is Mino.”

 

And that was how I befriend him. A funny and warm fellow, that Mino. With Mino by my side, I easily join the crew’s feast and their late-night drinking in the tavern, getting an unapproving look from my father each time. I even joined their search in the island’s jungle. For an exotic flower, they said. One that only blooms for three minutes after midnight in January. I told them it’s unlikely the flower is there because I’ve never heard of it but the crew only said it’s the captain’s word.

 

“Where is he anyway?” I asked.

 

“The captain?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“He’s looking for it in his own way.”

 

I shrugged at the good enough answer. He’s a captain, after all, he can’t be with us scouring the ground with a lantern right? I concluded that Mino must be somewhat of a vice-captain. The crew seemed to always listen to him, and he never joins this jungle search. Must be going on that ‘own way’ search with the captain.

 

He’s an interesting fellow, that Mino. He seemed very smart, almost scholarly. He doesn’t carry a single weapon around, not that I can see it (perhaps only a blade in his boots then). And he seemed to always be looking around, analyzing everything he laid his brown eyes on. He told me to be a pirate is to see everything easily seen and unseen. I didn’t realize I was having that much fun listening to him talk and tell stories about the sea until after a while. I couldn’t believe I befriended a pirate crew...

 

The search failed yet again, that night. The crews bid me goodnight and I almost regret the day ending because they said they will leave tomorrow, no matter if they find the flower or not. I sighed as I got home, falling down to the bed already thinking how boring the days will be once they set sail. Suddenly pebbles were thrown to my window glass and I quickly rose from my bed.

 

Mino. Smirking with his hand on his waist, he’s the cockiest man I’ve seen. I smiled and sneaked out of the house yet again.

 

“Did you find it?” I asked.

 

He pulled out a small pouch and dangle it in front of me. I gasped.

 

“Wait, you did??” I didn’t expect it at all. I thought their journey here was a waste.

 

“Of course. I told you it’s here.”

 

“Let me see it!” I almost begged.

 

“Only if you follow me to the ship.” His eyebrows raised in mischief.

 

He has no idea it's a dream come true for me, I said yes without much thinking. I was giddy, heart-thumping, stomach fuzzy.

 

“Would the captain be okay with this?” I asked.

 

Mino laughed, “Yeah, he’s cool.”

 

The first step on the ship almost made me gasp. I could feel its strength, grand and adventurous. How far has this ship ventured, through how many storms and lightning? I kept telling Mino how amazing it is, I thought he’d be sick of me. Everything looks amazing, even the ropes that have traces of seaweed clinging onto it. Mino pulled me into a room below the quarterdeck.

 

“Wait your room is...”

 

Minho pulled my hesitant self inside by the wrist and my jaw dropped at what’s inside. The wall on the left is covered with a map of the known world in the center. And all around it is a huge blank space. The room has heaps of luxurious-looking chests, some jewelry, and gold coins are inside of it, between rolls of sealed and opened papers. There’s a desk made out of mahogany wood, on top of it a splayed paper drawn with... a map?

 

“You’re...” I gulped, “The captain?”

 

Mino just shrugged, “Yep.”

 

I stood there with my mouth hanging open as he opened up the pouch with the flowers inside.

 

“Took you a while to figure it out.” he hummed as he pulled out the little, glowing? buds of flowers...

 

“I—I just... you looked so...” I stuttered, “Relaxed?”

 

Mino laughed, “Understandable. Most of the pirate captains I’ve met are either very angry, very harsh, or... well, very loud. Bur enough of that, look at this!” He took one flower bud and offered it to me.

 

I took it on my hand and frowned, “You got this from... our island? I’ve never seen this before.”

 

“Because it is not indigenous to your island. Someone brought it there. And make a little secluded farm for it.”

 

“Farm this?? Flowers?” That sounded ridiculous. We’re the Fisher’s Island, we’re full of fishermen. We don’t sell or produce anything related to flowers!

 

“Yeah, flowers.” Mino chuckled. I found him in the middle of rolling the flower buds into a small paper. Drizzled some... Something, spices, I have no idea—into it and closed it up.

 

“Flowers that is also,” he cut his own sentence to lit one end of the roll with fire from his candles. “heavenly to smoke.”

 

He on the unlit end and my brain finally clicked.

 

“It’s a drug... this flower is a drug??” I asked in disbelief.

 

“Among other things. It is also good for medicines, apparently.” Mino gave me the roll, offering.

 

I looked at the roll and back at him.

 

“You’re here... for a smoke?” I asked.

 

He nodded. Somewhat looking innocent and simple when he does. I just... I chuckled. And then I laughed. Because oh my God this is ing ridiculous. Mino laughed too, probably finding my amusement and clearly misled mind funny. I learned about smoking and drugs that night.

 

Laying on the captain’s cabin floor, we shared a third roll of the wicked flowers that the island elders are farming. Those old bones, I knew they always smelled somewhat strange. Mino and his crew is a very famous pirate. But they are different from those who are wanted by the marines, dead or alive.

 

Mino’s pirate crew explores unknown lands, where only stories and legends of sea monsters are ever heard. Where the fogs are too thick it’s hard to breathe. Where the lightning is too magnificent for one’s ear to handle. Where the waves are higher than the land’s mountain. They are travelers, the curtain opener. They raid the untouched lands, find golds from the old kings and pirates who are defeated by the unknown. Mino is making a map of the world. Of the whole world. He sells those maps and information and hence the massive ship he could get without getting a single scar on his face.

 

Oh, but he can surely fight. He proved that by swinging a dagger right into the part of a map I randomly picked. That region could’ve been a man’s eye and Mino would get it no problem. He said he has to be able to protect his crewmate, even though they are all very skilled fighters. Including the young teens, who are mostly slaves Mino took away from their mad masters.

 

“That’s amazing.” my voice slurred, but my amazement still real.

 

“Me?”

 

“No,” I chuckled, half lying too. “The world is amazing. Adventures. You know I really...really... wanted to be a pirate.”

 

Mino laughed at that.

 

“I’m for real.” I whined, “I wanted to be in the sea. See the world, feel the wind. I want something more than the island and the loneliness it brews every day. I want something bigger.”

 

“Like the whole world?” he asked.

 

“Yeah... Like the whole world.”

 

“Then come with me.”

 

This is something I should’ve thought about with a clear mind. Letter I should’ve written with a composed hand. But Mino said my letter is perfect. It has my heart in it, and it should be enough. I left the parting letter in my family house’s letterbox.

 

Mino took my hand and we ran back to the ship. Where we danced like fools on the deck, under the moonlight. One crew woke up from the ruckus and Mino simply told him I’m one of them now. The sleepy man only clapped and went back to his hammock downstairs.

 

We fell asleep under the moonlight. And I woke up to see the cloud moving fast. The wind blowing past my face. The crew yelling at each other about something... about the wind... the direction. I yawned and slowly rise from the hard wooden floor.

 

“Oi! New kid! Go and wash the buckets!!” Someone threw an empty bucket at me and I was... still a bit lost. When I finally understood what I’ve done, I just laughed. I looked around me and realize that I’m already in the middle of the sea. The boring island long forgotten. I looked at the quarterdeck and there he is. Handling the ship, turning the wheel, and our journey with it. He smiled at me. And I knew this is it. This is life now.

 

Years adventuring with Mino’s crew, I learned so many things. One is that the sea is unforgiving. The amount of times I almost died of impact during a big storm is crazy. Second is that sea monsters exist. And I still remember the warmth of my own urine the day I see one, swimming right beside our ship with its glowing yellow eyes (I still got nightmares from it). Three is that the world... is insanely big. And I am ready to venture every corner, filling up the huge map my captain will draw.

 

Mino lets me visit Fisher’s island every once in a while. My dad yelled and threw a fish at me the first time I visit, but after the fourth visit he just sighed and gave me lectures about the sea as if I haven’t been through more than he ever has. But I listened to it all anyway.

 

Here I am now, staring at my captain who’s drawing the birds up there. We’re three days away from a legendary city of gold that was said to be protected by a six-winged dragon. If the dragon truly exists, we won’t be idiots and try to kill it of course. We will simply find some rat ways and tippy tap our way into the gold coins and back.

 

Some of the crews are scared of the dragon. Some are excited about the gold. I am excited that we will see a newfound land.

 

The captain... is just worried the dragon won’t be photogenic enough for him to draw. We’ve been yelling at him NOT to try and move the dragon so he can draw it better but now he’s sulking. I rolled my eyes and started climbing the mast.

 

“Oi, captain!” I called. He looked at me with a pout on his lips, he seemed to be super concentrated on drawing that damn bird. Funny, he used to say I’m the one with the pouting habit when I’m focused on something.

 

“The canons are fixed,” I said.

 

“You fixed it?” Mino gasped.

 

“Mhm.”

 

“Woah... Every day you prove more and more of your worth! Show me your forehead!”

 

He always wants to draw a star on my forehead when I accomplish something. A reward for my skill, he said. I got a feeling he just enjoys messing with me. I growled at him and he just laughed.

 

This is my captain.

 

My boss, my leader, my hero, my captain.

 

This is the captain who took me off the lonely island and brought me to the world that felt like a battlefield. This is the captain who, without a shield and a sword, lead me away from the most thunderous storm and into the sunlight once more. This is the captain who gave me happiness simply by listening to his voice. His commands, his lead, his next step. His next journey.

 

This captain gave me the chance to see a world no one else has. This captain has me breaking the legends and making it facts. This is my captain.

 

I’m in a bigger problem than falling in love. A bigger problem than butterflies in my stomach or a thumping heart at the sight of him. I’m falling into happiness out of loyalty and trust. I’m falling into the deep pit of thrill and excitement out of the steps he picks. I’m falling into the want of staying with him. Even when the world is left with only me and him—a sailor and his pirate captain, that would be enough of a happy ending for me. Just me... and my captain.