Hey, rain

Words in Page

Don't forget to vote and stream for Seungyoon IYAH too today <333 Have u seen Begin Again?? T-T Anyways this story will be somewhat fluffy and light ehe I hope you enjoy

 

 

 

Hey, rain. Can you stop already? I sighed as I see the empty basketball field, drenched in rain and emptiness. I walked away after waiting for an hour or so. Seems like he’s not coming today too.

 

Hey, rain! This is your fault, you hear me?? With my backpack as heavy as ever, I walked home with a dejected face and mood. I looked up at the baby blue umbrella and wonder if I would ever be able to return this.

 

Hey, rain. If you’re crying for me, if you really feel the way that I feel, couldn’t you at least brighten up? Please!

 

A few weeks ago, I met someone. The owner of this baby blue umbrella that I’ve been carefully keeping as if it’s a brand new expensive phone.

 

“It’s raining.”

 

“I know.”

 

“You should go home.”

 

“It’s still far from here.”

 

“Take this then.”

 

I don’t know his name, his school, where he’s from. I just know he gave me this umbrella so I can go home as he ran with only his backpack covering his head. I've looked at the umbrella multiple times, checking if it’s broken or has holes in it because what kind of person would just give up their perfectly fine umbrella in the middle of heavy rain to someone they literally don’t know.

 

I sighed. I hate this town. I hate the weather, it rains most of the time. I hate the high school, everyone is quiet and dismissive. I hate the cafes, they all sell the same boring menu. It doesn’t help that my parents are only coming back in another two months, leaving me with only the housekeeper ever since we moved to this town last spring. It didn’t even feel like spring, it always ing rains.

 

Maybe it would’ve been better if mom was here in the first week. Listening to my rants about the new school, the new teacher, the new clubs. I had to endure the adaptation all alone, and even after four months, it still feels like I’m out of place. I opened the front door and into the empty house. Mrs. Choi, the housekeeper, doesn’t stay until late at night on Saturdays so it’s to be expected. She left a note on the fridge about dinner as expected too. I put my bag down and my whole body itch for a hot shower.

 

I stand under the water and almost hated the fact that this too feels like rain. I tsked and scrubbed my body faster to get it over with. Laying down on the couch, boring cartoon playing its repetitive episode as I think about tomorrow. Sunday. I’ve lost interest in exploring the town since the second week but tomorrow... I’ll go out tomorrow. Skate around. Bring the umbrella to my side.

 

Because it’s Sunday. Maybe umbrella boy will be out and about.

 

It’s just a normal umbrella. Cheap. Could probably find one identical to it in the mini-mart just around the corner.

 

“Take this then.”

 

I just wanna see him. He’s strange. Finally something strange that’s... not unpleasant about this town. Maybe he’s a weirdo. What if a little bit psycho. But he’s different and I want something different.

 

Mrs. Choi fiinds me sleeping on the couch with the TV on the morning, but doesn't really scold me because it’s Sunday. I eat simple cereal and told her I’m gonna head out for the whole day.

 

“Out with friends?” she asked.

 

If only, Mrs. Choi. With a small backpack just enough for a phone, charger, a bottle of water, and bubblegums I head to town. Skateboard on my side, and baby blue umbrella on the other. I hummed to the song playing on my earphone, eyes darting left and right to see signs of him. He’s pretty tall. Somewhere around me at least. Has small lips, a bit chubby cheeks, and... white hair. Yeah, that’s one important part.

 

I thought that if there’s one high school around here that would allow hair dye, it’s the art school. I tried hanging around there for a few days but I’m getting weird stares from the student who could absolutely tell I’m not one of them. On those few excruciating days, I didn’t see a sign of him at all. Not art high school then? Is he even a student at all? He sure doesn't look like he's in college yet.

 

Now I just hang around the place we met. The abandoned basketball court, and the streets around it. Today too, I check the basketball court first. Then follow the path he ran into that day. Wondering what kind of person he is, where does he live, what kind of things he does on a Sunday.

 

Maybe if I could just find him... I’ll get to know about all that. Right after I give this umbrella back. Oh!

 

I stopped my skateboard right in front of it. Behind the glass are the colorful jar of jellybeans and bubblegums, a tray of Turkish delight. A really petite candy shop... almost missed it. The sign said ‘Sweet Songs’. Huh. I’m running out of bubblegums soon so it's a nice timing. I opened the glass door that jingles with a cute sound of a bell up above.

 

“Welcome!” A voice greets before showing itself. I looked around before the tiny sound of steps comes louder.

 

“Oh hello!” A woman in a pretty pink apron appears. I smiled and nodded.

 

“Look around, we have many varieties! there’s a catalog too if you want to check!” She said in much excitement. I like the shop’s vibe. It feels welcoming without making me feel too pressured.

 

I found new, a bit pricier cartoon-themed candies and also old school ones from my mom’s younger years. I bought some of it for her. Even though she’s coming back in two months still. I gasped at the varieties of bubblegums, there are flavors I’ve never even heard of before too. I picked some with delight.

 

I head to the counter and put down all the little treasures I gathered. Quickly took out my wallet and prayed I have enough inside. The lady counted each one while asking where I’m from, and what school do I go to. She’s very smiley and kind.

 

“You can follow our SNS to see our promos and events!”

 

“You have events too going on?” I chuckled.

 

“Of course! There will be special candies during the holidays!” She took out some samples of egg candies from the last easter and put one in my candy bag.

 

“Oh—is that okay?” I hesitated.

 

“Of course! This is your first visit prize!” She chuckled.

 

I smiled and thanked her. just as I was about to leave the candy shop, the sky rumbled and a heavy rain suddenly poured. My shoulder slumped and I groaned.

 

“Oh no... definitely not skating weather..” She sighed.

 

“Yeah...” I mumbled.

 

It’s gonna be harder to find him... That boy gave his umbrella to me, maybe this was the only one he had and that means he won’t be out on rainy days. I looked at the sky with annoyance.

 

Hey, rain! I Hate you so much! Aish...

 

“You can stay here until the rain subsides if you want!” The lady said.

 

“Ah, no thank you, I got an umbrella.” I smiled and raised my umbrella for her to see.

 

She smiled at it and said, “Alright then. Hey, next Sunday you should come here. We’re gonna have a premium one-day only cake pops.”

 

Oh... I like cake pops.

 

“I will!” I nodded.

 

“Promise?” She leaned over the counter.

 

“Yeah.” I chuckled before I go.

 

Ah... Hey, rain, don’t drip down my face. It’ll leave a mark. I don’t want to find him while looking like a kitten who fell into a sewer. I walked around with the umbrella’s rod resting on my shoulder. The song playing in my playlist has taken a turn into mellow ones. I sighed. Well, at least it fits the weather.

 

That day I met umbrella boy was a Sunday, the day I found out my parents won’t be home for my birthday. And I know I’m in high school, I’m not a little kid anymore, but I guess getting little to no time to spend with them for the last ten years finally took a toll and ruined my day. I know their business is going well, I should be thankful for all the things they afford for me. But sometimes I just need some company. The housekeeper is not... the kind of company I want.

 

The day before that was the day I found out I got a C in English even though I studied so hard for it. I also got hit in the face during dodgeball. And on top of all that, I fell asleep during math and the teacher throw the whiteboard eraser right at my head. God, I hate that day so much.

 

I was skating around town, feeling like a failure, trying to get some mood changer. But suddenly the rain pours down and I reached out for the umbrella pocket in my backpack only to realize I left it at home. My mood was so low already but it got lower it probably met satan down in hell and gave him a high five.

 

The basketball court was right beside me so I walked in there. There’s no place to cover from the rain but there’s a seat so I just... sat there hugging my backpack to try and save my phone. I must’ve looked so pathetic. There are people walking around outside the basketball court but no one noticed me as they walk with their umbrella covering most of their surroundings.

 

Until suddenly the rain suddenly stopped hitting my head. It’s still raining though. I looked up. Almost jumped at the sight of someone else besides me, holding an umbrella above my head.

 

“It’s raining.” he said.

 

“I know.” I looked back down, confused as hell. Who is he, what is he doing?

 

“You should go home.” he said again. Well, I know that! But...

 

“It’s still far from here.” I said. It’s not really physically far I’m just... really tired.

 

“Take this then.” He pushed the umbrella against me. I looked up at him even more confused. I was still processing when he took my hand, put it to hold the umbrella. He smiled. Quick and... really sweet. And he ran off.

 

I stood there under the rain for quite a while. Thinking. Feeling....things.

 

Ahhhhh! This damn—freaking—rain!

 

I stomped my feet and looked at the sky. Looking as gloomy as ever. I need to see him! I need to find him! How am I gonna find him if you keep pouring down like that? I can’t even see past five meters in front of me!!

 

I sighed.

 

I couldn’t find him that day. The next day too. and the next. Nothing happened, no sort of miraculous meeting. I even asked myself if I’m hallucinating. I asked Mrs. Choi if she could see the umbrella and she checked my forehead for fever.

 

I’m not dreaming. Nor hallucinating out of loneliness. He’s not a ghost either since he could touch my hand.

 

You know what? Fine. Three more days. If I can’t find him in three more days, I’ll give up. Shouldn’t add anymore waiting for things that are uncertain in my life.

 

Three more days. I walk around town until my feet hurt and still no sign.

 

Two more days. I wait in the basketball court until past sunset, Mrs. Choi called me worried.

 

Last day. I found some fun spots to skate, a cozy place in the park to take a nap, and a house with a really cute golden retriever who would ask for pets from passersby. Last day.

 

Couldn’t find him.

 

I sat on the basketball court again. Sweating and huffing from all the walk. Finished the last drop of soda and winced at the sting. I’ve been under the rain long enough to feel that rain is coming. Probably in ten minutes. I sighed. The baby blue umbrella sits beside me, almost like it’s mocking.

 

“I’ve tried my best,” I said.

 

The sky is dark still, never giving me its unmasked face still. A single drop fell to my nose. Oops, there it is.

 

I stood up and took the umbrella. Well, a promise is a promise. I’ll stop looking. Maybe you’re just... a one-day, premium sweet candy that I can never get again. Oh, speaking of which, tomorrow is Sunday. I should visit the candy shop. I walked home feeling blue, but I guess the past few weeks gave me a sense of purpose aside from trying to live my miserable school life. It was... kinda fun while it lasted.

 

Another drop of rain on top of my head. And another two. I should open the umbrella.

 

But I didn’t. It’s technically still the last day, right? The rain poured still and I ran. Covered my head with my backpack, just the way he did that day. Who knows. Who knows, right?

 

 

Nope. I got home drenched, getting an earful from Mrs. Choi and I didn’t see him. Oh well, it’s for real now! I’ll give up.

 

 

The candy shop bell jingles in the prettiest gentle tone and I felt happier just hearing it. Let’s see how the cake pops look like. I wish there will be a black forest one, I love black forests.

 

“Welcome!”

 

Huh. It’s not the lady, it’s a man’s voice. Kinda young, by the sound of it. I walked towards the counter, waiting for whoever is in charge to pops out. And when the door curtain flips, and the person appears wearing a cream-colored apron on their body... The world stopped moving. At least for me.

 

 

White hair, small lips, full cheeks.

 

Umbrella boy.

 

"You!" I gasped.

 

“Oh.” he said.

 

Oh? does he... remember me? I gulped.

 

“Hey...” I mumbled, my voice weakening over the nervousness.

 

He smiled.

 

“Rain boy.” He chuckled. Rain boy???

 

“Umbrella boy.” I blurted out.

 

He laughed, scratching the back of his head.

 

“Fitting.” He shrugged.

 

“I’m... I...” I was at loss for words but I quickly pulled the umbrella from my backpack. I still haven’t put it away last night, thank god.

 

“I want to... give this back. I’ve been looking for you for weeks but I don't see you anywhere!”

 

Oh , why did I say that does that make me sound like a creep?

 

“Oh... well, yeah.” He chuckled, “I go to school in the next town, so I’m not usually here.”

 

Wha—so that's why!! What the heck I spent weeks for NOTHING!

 

He took the umbrella from my hand and it felt a bit strange seeing that thing finally taken away from me.

 

“But... thanks though. And sorry! For bothering you.”

 

“No! No, I’m... thank you. For the umbrella.”

 

“Minho-ya! Where’s the—Oh, hello!!” The lady comes out from the back room. “You’re here for the cake pops! Wait for a second okay? I’m still giving it sprinkles!” She giggled excitedly. I forced a smile even though my heart is doing somersaults inside of me.

 

She looked at umbrella boy and slapped his shoulder, “Talk to him, that’s the cute boy you told me about right?” She said.

 

Excuse me????? He quickly pushed her to go back into the back room and looked at me with a red face.

 

“An—anyways! Yeah, the cake pops will be ready in a minute, wanna check out so—some other stuff? There are new arrivals!” He stuttered.

 

“Y—yeah! Sure, okay!” Why the hell am I stuttering too.

 

He showed me a new edition star wars gummy, blueberry sour patches, caramel nougats... The conclusion is this is so much sugar I will have to run around over this sugar rush later.

 

The lady a.k.a his mom appeared soon after, perfect-looking cake pops on hand ready for me to pick. Wow, this candy shop is no joke... her baking skill is no joke.

 

“The cake is really good!” I told her, a mouthful of sweet.

 

“Oh, Minho made those!”

 

The umbrella boy is called Minho.

 

“He’s a really talented baker, he goes to a cooking school!” she added.

 

Oh...

 

“Really? So you’re a soon-to-be chef??” I turned to him.

 

“Pastry chef, hopefully, yeah.” He looked shy. And really cute. I felt my cheeks blushing I don’t know why.

 

Kidding. I kinda know why.

 

“The sky is really nice today! Why don’t you guys hang out?? Seungyoon-ah, Minho doesn’t really have any friends in this town, so he’s always holed up in this shop! Can you—“

 

“Mom!” Minho tried to stop her.

 

“Ssh! Can you hang out with him?? I swear he’s nice! He’ll buy you food!”

 

“Mom, you’re embarrassing me!” Minho groaned.

 

"He dyed his hair white until it's fried, but he's not a bad boy!" she tried to appeal to me. I just laughed.

 

“You wanna hang out?” I asked him. His mom nodded furiously. Minho looked at me, his cheeks are somewhat pink.

 

. That’s really cute.

 

“I...uh... yeah, s—sure if you want.” He said.

 

“Alright then!! Run along now!” His mom is basically kicking us out. She reminded Minho to take the umbrella with him because it can rain ‘anytime’. Oh yeah, it really can.

 

We walked together, properly introducing ourselves. Talked about the day we met and the umbrella thing.

 

“I didn't think much! You just looked sad so... yeah.” He shrugged.

 

“You do that to every stranger looking miserable on the street?”

 

“No,” he laughed, “Just you.”

 

He ran off that day because he's supposed to help his mom make an ordered candy box. And he's got tests these past few weeks so he couldn't leave the dorm. We hang out in the park. I told him I skate sometimes, and turns out he does too. His skateboards are in his dorm though, but he promised he’ll bring it next time he’s home so we can... we can.. skate together.

 

Hehe. That sounds really nice.

 

We were laughing over a weird-looking fish bread we bought, the red bean filling breaking out making the fish seemed like it’s got a joker smile when rain suddenly poured. He quickly pulled out the umbrella and spring it open. He stands closer to me so we’re both protected from the raindrops.

 

He smells like pop cakes. Sweet. My heart is beating too fast for a blue rainy day. He doesn’t seem too relaxed about this either. Could hear his heartbeat too, thumping loud if I concentrate.

 

Hey, rain. You’re finally doing something right for once.