Peanut

Just as Lucky

I can feel the heat inside my costume, I am now second guessing if they are really my friends for making me wear this. I'm still in deep thoughts on how many ways to murder my friends while walking towards the nearby bench hoping to take a rest when I felt a small body bumped into me. I looked down to see a crying boy, he's not familiar though. 

I looked around if he's with someone but no one is there. "Hey boy, are you lost?",I asked softly not wanting to scare him away. But when the boy finally looked up, he suddenly cried harder. I thought that maybe it's because of the costume I'm wearing. A big eagle hovering over you is no doubt a scary when you are a kid.

"Hey hey here shh, don't cry. Here, I'm a person and this is just a costume. I'll remove my head and you'll see okay?", before even realizing that what I had said terrified the young boy more he started to cry even harder. Ooops. 

"Oh god what did I do?!", not knowing what to do I quickly removed the head of my costume and struggled as I tried to crouched down as low as I can to meet the height of the boy. "Hey look! See! I'm a person", I gave him my sweetest smile, the boy stared at me probably processing the transformation and awhile later he seemed to calmed down a little. It made me release all the air that I didn't know I was holding. 

I plopped down on the ground realizing that crouching with a costume that have a big tummy is not a good idea. I looked at the boy patienly waiting for him to calm down. "Are you okay now?",I asked and relieved to see the boy nod while his finger but I held his hand. "Don't do that, your hands are not clean see?",I held the boys hand in front of his eyes for him to see.

"I'm Dahyun, what's your name little one?",the boy just stared at me. "I'll call you peanut if you don't answer me", I pouted at him with my hands on my hips but he just released a cute giggle. "Guess you like that huh?", I shuffled his hair earning another giggle. He's so cute I want to squish his cheeks.

"Hmm I have a better idea! Who wants icecream?!",I raised my hands and took a peek at the boy who shyly lifted his hands. "Huh? I can't see any hands, I guess I'll just eat alone.",I said loudly pretending not to see the boy infront of me. "Me, I want I-cream", the boy softly said that almost made me really want to coo over him. I faced him again and smiled brightly as I saw the boy's hands raised higher. "Alright then! Let's get this peanut some ice cream. But let me just stand quickly", not as quickly as I wanted though.

I stumbled a few times, struggling to stand up but there are times where I exaggerated my fall because I could hear the boy laugh beside me. When I finally stood up, I huffed then offered my hands to the boy and he gladly clinged into it. 

"What do you like?", the boy pointed at the chocolate icecream on the picture infront of him. "Good choice! Can I have two scoops of chocolate icecream please", the guy nodded and prepared the order. As we wait, the boy tugged on her hand and lift his arms and I knew immediately what he wants. I lifted the boy up to my arms and watched as the boy beamed when he reached for the icecream given.

Oh I forgot I don't have my wallet in me. I looked around to see if I knew someone around but there's no one. "It's on the house, you don't have to worry about the payment enjoy!" the guy tapped on the cardboard infront where something along the 'gift from the bride' is written with a picture of my soon-to-be married friends.

"Chaeng you lucky bastard", I whispered then felt like someone is looking at me. I looked beside me and saw the boy glaring at me,"bad word no". "Oops sorry", I smiled sheepishly then on my own icecream then walked back to the villa where we are staying to report a child missing, which what she should I have done in the first place. His parents must be worried.

When I neared the villa, I could see guards all over the place. It looks like they're searching for something. I'm about to approach one of the guards but I saw Chaeyoung and Mina with a brunette that has her back towards me. They seem to be in a serious conversation.

"Chaeng!", I shouted successfuly gaining their attention as they looked at me, who is seemingly shocked over something i don't know. When the woman faced me, I saw her eyes mixed with emotion of stress and worry then came relief. I held my gaze on the woman, I am completely dumbfounded. Our eyes met and my breathe hitched. The woman has the warmest brown eyes I have ever seen..

My thoughts are interrupted when the woman spoke,"my sweet pea!", then came running towards us. My eyes widen and my gaze moved back and forth to chaeyoung and the woman. Suddenly, I felt the weight on my arms left and watched as the woman cradled on the boy whispering sorry's and i love you's. Oh right! I still had the boy on my arms, how could I have completely forgotten about that? I mentally facepalmed myself.

"Thank you so much Dahyun-chan", Mina, Chaeng's bride-to-be, smiled at me.

"We almost had a search party for him, thank god you found him", Chaeng followed. 

"I saw him crying near the children's play house when I was on my way back then I bought him icecream to calm him down. I was about to report him when I saw you both", Dahyun replied. "Oh and Mina, the icecream taste great", I chuckled when I saw Mina's red cheeks.

My eyes went back to peanut, who is happily finishing his icecream while his mom, I assumed, lovingly caressing his face. "She's my cousin, Sana.", Mina whispere beside me as I cleared my throat and teared my eyes from the two.

"I-I'll go to my room first. I'll take a shower and rest, I feel so hot and sticky because of this gos forsaken costume. ", did I just stutter? why did I? I slightly scratched the back of my head the started walking away as I heard chaeng snickered "Oh right! I left the head near the icecream truck.",I continued walking ignoring the pair of eyes that followed me knowing I'll get lost on them again. 

"What?! That costume is an expensive one. Anyway, dinner by 7 bro! Be there okay?!", Chaeng raised her voice so I could hear but I just raised my thumbs up not looking back, I could already see chaeng rolling her eyes on the my antics.

Later that night...

I slowly opened my eyes and grabbed my phone to see what time is it. 

7:30pm 

I groaned as I realized I'm late for dinner. I abruptly stood up causing my head to spin, "Ugh bad idea".

After changing, I walked out the room to go to the dining where they are probably eating. As I reached the bottom of the stairs, I hear laughing and conversation. I was about to walk in when I heard my name so I decided to eavesdrop a little.

"Where's dubu?", I heard Nayeon unnie asked.

"I don't know maybe she overslept", Chaeng answered. "She looked so exhausted earlier, you should have seen her face",I heard her continued following by snickers. This really enjoyed my suffering.

"Served her right", Jeongyeon unnie butted in. I took a peek and saw her sitting beside Momo unnie who's already devouring her food.

"Yah! Are you really her friends?", Jihyo unnie said pointing her fork at the two of them. I can't help but feel excited when I saw her. She's the busiest among all of us so she rarely go to the gatherings.

"Unfortunately yea", Chaeng replied with a fake sigh making the whole table laugh. 

"Well then unfortunately you will have to find another photographer for your wedding", I said behind her that made all the head on the table turn to.

"Birdieee!", I saw peanut wiggled from his chair then to ran towards me.

"Hey there peanut, we met again", I said scooping the boy to carry him then he just nod.

"Sorry, Kai is usually not clingy to people. I don't know why he's like that", a voice infront of me said.

"It's fine. Maybe we bonded a little over icecream", I said with a smile then bop the boy's nose receiving a small giggle. "So, it's Kai huh", the boy happily nodded, "hmm, I think I like peanut better", I tickled him making him laugh. He then jumped down and dragged me on his abandoned chair then sat on my lap ignoring his mother calling his name.

I waved the Sana off again telling her it's okay while she also sat back beside her and gave her an apologetic smile. I then greeted everyone at the table and sidehugged Jihyo beside me which she happily received.

"Do you want me to get you some food bro?", I heard chaeng asked, when I saw her she had this ugly looking sweet smile on her face.

"No thanks, I don't want to be poisoned. I'll just get one for myself later. And don't worry bro, you'll still have your wedding photos, I don't wabt Mina unnie's wrath". I chuckled to myself.

"I'll get him if you want?", Sana offered to take Kai from my lap.

"It's fine, I'm not that hungry."

"Are you sure?", I just nodded and just winked at her. I swear I saw a tint pink on her cheeks.

Then I felt Jihyo unnid nudged my side making me look at her. "So birdieee~ why are you late?", I just groaned loudly and covered my face resulting a laughter around the table.

"Well someone here decided to make me wear an eagle costume then entertain the kids as a punishment. Can you believe that? It's about 40 degrees here I thought I'm gonna pass out from the heat", I groaned the I saw Jeong and Chaeng fist bumped each other while Nayeon unnie with the entire table are almost dying from laughter.

But then I heard a soft 'you look cute though' beside that caught my attention. I looked at Sana but she's looking the other way laughing at my friends. Huh? I made a mental note to have my ear checked after the wedding.

I can feel the heat on my face possibly from embarassment, they are still laugh as the little devil son chaeyoung passed around her phone that has a photo of me on a freaking eagle costume.

"What's with the punishment?", Tzuyu asked wiping their child's mouth.

"Hmm, she decided that it's a good idea to be wasted a day before our photoshoot. I won't be surprised if our photos came out as blurry or something", Chaeng answered dodging the tissue I threw her way.

"But the client requested that and besides I'm with Jeongyeon unnie, how come I'm the only one who got punishment!"

"Yea? Atleast I didn't came in 3 hrs late."

"Ughh, I'll never win with you two"  

I own a photo studio and am partnering with Jeong unnie. We both majored in photography and decided to put up a studio. It started small but with ourr efforts and the help of our friends it's now beginning to become quite known.

The dinner went smoothly, and smoothly means loud banters and laughter that never dies down. Mina brought an expensive wine which resulted by an animalistic howling from this s. I noticed Jihyo unnie is unusually quiet, "hey, you good?"

"hmm", she replied "I just missed yuna". I nodded my head in understanding, I looked around the table and they seemed to be caught in their own conversations.

"How's the divorce going?", I asked quietly sipping on my glass of wine.

"It's fine, Daniel is cooperating so there isn't any problem. We both wanted it so he should be", I studied her face as she answered my question. I know she's sad but Jihyo unnie knows how to mask her emotion. 

"Yuna is staying with him tonight?"

"He'll drop her off. They're on their way actually, he said he has a business trip tomorrow and he wanted a little time with her", I nodded my head in understanding. Jihyo unnie is the first one to be married because she got pregnant with Yuna. But as time come I think they both drifted apart. Daniel is always on his business trip while Jihyo is busy teaching at the university and taking care of Yuna. 

Jihyo unnie gave me the look that means not to worry so just rubbed her back and she gave me her cheeky smile. 

I felt a tap on my shoulder, "I think I should take him to our room". When I look down, I see little peanut bobbing his head while holding his fork. I chuckled to the scene and nodded to Sana. She mouthed a thank you and bid everyone a goodnight which she received a protest from everyone but they eventually let her go.

My eyes lingered on the doorway they got through, when I looked back to the table I saw their eyes on me.

"What?", feeling my face if I have something on it.

"Kim Dahyun has a crush", Nayeon unnie exclaimed with an amused smile on her face.

"A woman with a child on that one",Momo followed cradling their baby.

"Oh yea? Are you done eating?", mocking her

"Hmm I am very full thank you very much"

"So sana huh? She's a good person", I turned to Mina shocked, she's the last person I expected to join this teasing.

"You too? How come I'm alone on this household?", I mumbled as I drowned the remaining wine.

"Not really, but you're so obvious Dahyun-ah", Jihyo unnie said while laughing. I looked at her confused. "Really? those secret glances you gave her? You didn't think we'll notice that?"

"Wh- I don- I didn't!" why am I a stuttering mess! "Whatever I'll see you all tomorrow" I gave each one of them a hug then left to the pool hearing behind a roar of laughter. I felt my cheeks heat up and all I could do is shook my head.

I don't know how long has time passed because I was lost with my thoughts. Someone waved a beer infront of me and I gladly took it, I felt them sit in each side of me. I released a content sigh as I looked above to see the sky full of stars. 

"Where's the missus?"

"Went to tuck in yeji", Jeong answered.

"Ahh I missed this. We haven't done bro nights in a while", Chaeng said stretching her legs. Jeong yawned at the same time and stood up.

"Yea, well I would love to stay but I'm very tired"

"Hmm, sleepwell old hag", I commented which earned me a painful slap at the head. "Yah!", that hurt.

"Goodnight losers", with that we watched as Jeong unnie disappeared in the corner. 

"So sana-"

"No chaeng, I don't have a crush on her."

"But she's pretty"

"Very- I mean no.. I mean yes she's pretty but- ugh!", I stopped when I heard Chaeng chukle. What had got me a stuttering mess tonight?

"I understand bro, I was not about to say something about your little crush", I felt my cheeks burn so I just covered it up by drinking the beer.

"I meant to say that I'm really nervous about meeting her. Mina said Sana is like her sister, and they are both very protective to each other. So many thoughts are running through my head. What if she didn't like me and convince Mina to cancel the wedding?"

I looked at her like she's the most ridiculous thing that I have ever seen. "Bro, you know that when you tell Mina that you wanted to get married right here right now she'll happily oblige right?"

"Yea, it's okay now though. We've talked earlier and she just said thank you for making Mina happy. And all the worries I had in me went poof", I chuckled as she made a poofing action on her hand. 

"I really don't get why Mina isn't second guessing this wedding", I joked then she make an offended look face at me and punch my arms.

"Now I'm thinking if I should replace you with Jeong unnie as my best woman", she stood up as she mumbled but it is meant for me to hear. 

"You wouldn't"

"Yea I wouldn't. Anyways, I'll leave you to daydream your future family"

"You just can't leave peacefully, can you?", I said but when I look at her she's skipping away humming to some song. Future family huh? I wanted to have one someday, I wonder if I'll be just as lucky as my friends.

I sighed as I stood up and wiped my pants then noticed that my bottle is empty. I just shrugged and went to the kitchen to see if there's still a beer I can bring to my room. But when I came I saw a familiar brunette looking at me with the same brown eyes that seems to be hunting me this whole night.

I just cleared my throat to stop myself from being awkward. "Hey", I greeted and went straight to the fridge. I wonder if I can fit here.

"Hey, do you want some coffee?", She offered as she's leaning in the counter. Her voice is so soft.

"Hm no, I'm having a beer", I declined waving my beer. "Can I wait with you?", She lookedd confused so I nodded my head at the kettle that yet to boil.

"Sure", Sana said with a smile. Her smile is so pretty.

"I'm Dahyun.. by the way.. if you didn't know", I scratched the back of my neck then cleared my throat.

"I know"

"Huh?"

"Mina told me. I asked her earlier"

"You did?", god I sound so stupid.

"Yea, you've found Kai, it's the least I could do.", she answered chuckling. Probably because I look stupid.

"So have Mina introduced us to you?", I asked trying to change the topic

"Yea at the dinner but I didn't quite get who's with who"

"Alright that would be easy, they are all married just so you know. So Nayeon unnie and Tzuyu have a 4 year old twins, Seoeun and Seojun. Jeong unnie and Momo unnie have a 5 year old Yeji. Jihyo... have Yuna, she's 7 and very smart.", I release a sigh of relief when Sana didn't ask any question about Jihyo unnie so I continued."So you know chaeng and mina-"

"What about you?", Sana asked cutting me off. I watched as she pour water into a mug. I didn't notice it has boiled. 

"M-me? what about me?", I can see the amusement play on her face as she placed the mug on the counter I'm seating at.

"I mean you've introduced them but never said a thing about you. I want to get to know you.", the last words came out as a whisper but I clearly heard it.

"I'm- I a- I have a photo studio with Jeong unnie. It was-"

"Are you married?", huh? I looked at her as she lift her mug and blew on it.

"I- I'm not"

"Have a girlfriend? or boyfriend... I think?"

"I'm very gay, and no... for both questions"

"Okay"

"Okay?"

"Hmm, goodnight Dahyun-chan", I watched as she smiled sweetly, I noticed how she have her nose scrunched up when she smile widely. Before I knew it she's gone. 

What in the world just happened?